PDA

View Full Version : Who is our next QB?

chef dixon
12-16-2021, 12:23 PM
Curious as to what you all think after Rogers is done here. Robertson, Greek, Locke? Someone else?

FISHDAWG
12-16-2021, 12:27 PM
Curious as to what you all think after Rogers is done here. Robertson, Greek, Locke? Someone else?

Lovertich is the only other QB that saw action this year .... I think the bigger question is who will still be around when Rogers is gone because I don't think all of these guys will be content to sit for the next 2 or 3 years

Dak Holliday
12-16-2021, 12:45 PM

We still have 3 more yrs with Rogers barring injury. I?m gonna say probably someone else. I get the idea that these guys will be gone by then.

OLJWales
12-16-2021, 12:48 PM
Whatever happened to that dude that lit the state on fire as a freshman that Rick Cleveland did a piece on? Forget his name and school.

sleepy dawg
12-16-2021, 01:08 PM
Hard to believe it wouldn't be Sawyer if he's still around.

chef dixon
12-16-2021, 01:25 PM
That's why I favor it to be Locke. The other guys being a year older probably not going to wait around. I don't see Rogers doing any more than 2 more full seasons before moving on. If Locke is a RS sophomore at that point you have to like his chances. Granted if either Greek or Robertson are still around as a RS Jr, they are probably going to be called upon.

yjnkdawg
12-16-2021, 01:38 PM
That's why I favor it to be Locke. The other guys being a year older probably not going to wait around. I don't see Rogers doing any more than 2 more full seasons before moving on. If Locke is a RS sophomore at that point you have to like his chances. Granted if either Greek or Robertson are still around as a RS Jr, they are probably going to be called upon.

Will can play 3 more years, and unless one of the quarterbacks on scholarship currently, can some how beat him out for the starting job then I don't think any will be around. None of them came here to be a backup quarterback.

FISHDAWG
12-16-2021, 01:40 PM
Will can play 3 more years, and unless one of the quarterbacks on scholarship currently, can some how beat him out for the starting job then I don't think any will be around. None of them came here to be a backup quarterback.

maybe the better question is who will be the back-up QB

Todd4State
12-16-2021, 02:02 PM
I think it will be Sawyer. I could see Will leaving for the NFL after 2023.

OLJWales
12-16-2021, 02:11 PM
Damn. How did Ty Keyes end up at USM?

yjnkdawg
12-16-2021, 02:34 PM
maybe the better question is who will be the back-up QB

I think you are right on this. Two many variables on who will be our next quarterback. I think, too, another factor in play, on who will be our next quarterback, is who will be the next quarterback that CML will sign for 2023.

yjnkdawg
12-16-2021, 02:40 PM

He followed Will Hall there from Tulane. He was a former Tulane commit.

Coach34
12-16-2021, 02:42 PM

As what?

OLJWales
12-16-2021, 02:44 PM
As what?

Don't be hatin'

Coach34
12-16-2021, 03:01 PM
Don't be hatin'

He had a good 2nd half. He's a smart QB. He's accurate on the short stuff. I just dont see an arm that translates to throwing that bigger NFL ball.

Dak Holliday
12-16-2021, 03:07 PM
He had a good 2nd half. He's a smart QB. He's accurate on the short stuff. I just dont see an arm that translates to throwing that bigger NFL ball.

Agree. I see Graham Harrell when I see Will, which is great for us.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-16-2021, 07:52 PM

Totally agree. I can’t see Will in the NFL. Size and arm strength is an issue when you are a pocket passer. Will doesn’t excite anyone in the NFL. They will consider him a system QB.

vv83
12-16-2021, 07:56 PM

Come on man? maybe MAYBE 10 years ago in that 4-6 round. In the current NFL I just don?t see it. You either have to be elite at extending plays, a cannon that stretches the field, or TB. Will is an insanely talented college player, and I hope he has a long NFL career. Just don?t see him leaving a year early to be a camp tryout. Stay here 5 years, break every record and get a free masters

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-16-2021, 08:08 PM
If Will starts 3 more years, is he going to be the NCAA all time leading passer? He's surely have SEC all time locked up forever, but I wonder about nationally...

somebodyshotmypaw
12-16-2021, 08:51 PM
If Will starts 3 more years, is he going to be the NCAA all time leading passer? He's surely have SEC all time locked up forever, but I wonder about nationally...

Case Keenum has 19,217

Rayburn8
12-16-2021, 09:16 PM
Case Keenum has 19,217

So Will got an extra 2k thanks to Covid, so he is at what, 6.3k now? He needs 13 k to pass or 4.3k a year.

That?s very very doable if he stays healthy and Leach is here for three more years.

Leroy Jenkins
12-16-2021, 09:18 PM
Agree. I see Graham Harrell when I see Will, which is great for us.

Kellen Moore for me.

OLJWales
12-16-2021, 09:24 PM

Based on his age, do you think the weight room and more throwing drills over the next 18 months or so or has that ship sailed?

Coach34
12-16-2021, 09:38 PM
Based on his age, do you think the weight room and more throwing drills over the next 18 months or so or has that ship sailed?

Based on watching him I think that ship has sailed.

He's like a baseball pitcher that throws 86 mph but has great control and command. Super smart. That shit can work in college- but in the pros its just not enough. We talked about comparing him to Chad Pennington of the Jets from years ago. And thats a good one. But there is no Ground and Pound in the NFL anymore with a QB that is smart and makes a few high percentage throws. Dak had a great arm but needed to learn better touch and command as he got older- you could see it. Will's command and touch is maxed out now.

But he could absolutely keep winning the job here at State for 3 more years and set all kinds of college records. You just have to wonder if one of these QB's with more upside eventually takes the job away. How will more pressure off the edges next year affect Rogers? Because thats gonna happen losing both OT's.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

MaroonFlounder
12-16-2021, 09:50 PM
If we could somehow find a QB that can beat the turds from Lafayette county, then all the other guys can hit the portal.

Tripp McNeely
12-16-2021, 10:07 PM

He's like a baseball pitcher that throws 86 mph but has great control and command. Super smart. That shit can work in college- but in the pros its just not enough. We talked about comparing him to Chad Pennington of the Jets from years ago. And thats a good one. But there is no Ground and Pound in the NFL anymore with a QB that is smart and makes a few high percentage throws. Dak had a great arm but needed to learn better touch and command as he got older- you could see it. Will's command and touch is maxed out now.

But he could absolutely keep winning the job here at State for 3 more years and set all kinds of college records. You just have to wonder if one of these QB's with more upside eventually takes the job away. How will more pressure off the edges next year affect Rogers? Because thats gonna happen losing both OT's.

Also worked for Greg Maddux...and these guys (minus Cam Newton)

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/five-quarterback-luck-successful-considering-arm-strength-isn-t#:~:text=Matt%20Ryan%20%27s%20arm%20strength%20is %20considered%20to,Franks%2C%20a%20quarterback%20w hose%20arm%20is%20his%20strength.

Dak Holliday
12-16-2021, 10:19 PM

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/five-quarterback-luck-successful-considering-arm-strength-isn-t#:~:text=Matt%20Ryan%20%27s%20arm%20strength%20is %20considered%20to,Franks%2C%20a%20quarterback%20w hose%20arm%20is%20his%20strength.

This list is composed of aging QBs that had weak arms by the twilight of their careers, not the beginning. Will is a great college QB. That?s all we need him to be.

Dak Holliday
12-16-2021, 10:21 PM
Case Keenum has 19,217

Dang, I forgot that Case threw for so many.

Coach34
12-16-2021, 10:35 PM

hahahaha- all those guys have stronger arms than Rogers. And it's not close

Tripp McNeely
12-16-2021, 11:03 PM
hahahaha- all those guys have stronger arms than Rogers. And it's not close

Okay I'll go with the subjective argument back at ya (unless you have nexgen comparative velocity data...in which case I'd love to see it!)...no they don't. You're way too cavalier about discounting Will's arm strength without any real data besides you're friggin amateur' "eye test"

vv83
12-16-2021, 11:06 PM
Okay I'll go with the subjective argument back at ya (unless you have nexgen comparative velocity data...in which case I'd love to see it!)...no they don't. You're way too cavalier about discounting Will's arm strength without any real data besides you're friggin amateur' "eye test"

I mean, to be fair is an eye test not enough? I’ve watched him throw right hash to left side and it took a year for the ball to get there and was an easy breakup. Will is perfect for our system and that’s all matters for us

Tripp McNeely
12-16-2021, 11:14 PM
I mean, to be fair is an eye test not enough? I’ve watched him throw right hash to left side and it took a year for the ball to get there and was an easy breakup. Will is perfect for our system and that’s all matters for us

I think it's very shortsighted to be adamant about a sophomore, who just broke every school record "definitely" not being an NFL QB. Lots of professional scouts who should be out of jobs apparently

Tripp McNeely
12-16-2021, 11:23 PM
How'd you "experts" feel about the Cowboys starting QB after his sophomore year in Starkville? Maybe velo wasn't his weak point, but he had several...accuracy, anticipation, footwork, etc.

Edited to add, apparently there were some questions about his arm strength coming out of Starkville... "Doesn?t possess the heralded ?power arm? that he was once rumored to have"

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015/12/24/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-dak-prescott/

BuckyIsAB****
12-16-2021, 11:26 PM

He would struggle immensely in this offense

Catfish
12-16-2021, 11:29 PM
How'd you "experts" feel about the Cowboys starting QB after his sophomore year in Starkville? Maybe velo wasn't his weak point, but he had several...accuracy, anticipation, footwork, etc.

Its not worth it. There's a few on this board that will consistently crap on our players and team. It is what it is.

BuckyIsAB****
12-16-2021, 11:33 PM

He cant see any more pressure than he already has. That wont bother him. He has played at Bama at UGA at OM at A&M at Auburn and at Arkansas. At Kentucky. And he still has 3 more years to play.

He is the best passing QB in the history of the school, Dak never was asked nor would he have been good at what we ask Will to do. He could also go and run OMs offense and be just as good. Of course not running the ball but counting numbers and slinging it deep is all they ask. He did that for just about an entire year his SR year.

He is going to leave here better than we have ever seen and some may not like it but that is their own fault. I have seen him throw many a fade and many a post. His arm strength is fine, it is not Favre. That is why there was only one Favre. I doubt Will is ever a HOF NFL QB, but I would not doubt him. Hell all he has done is prove this board wrong every step of the way.

BuckyIsAB****
12-16-2021, 11:35 PM
If we could somehow find a QB that can beat the turds from Lafayette county, then all the other guys can hit the portal.

Agree with that. And kickers who can make FGs and WRs/RBs who will catch it

BuckyIsAB****
12-16-2021, 11:36 PM

Right now my money is on Locke or a portal QB after Will is done. Greek is going to be good but idk if he will wait his turn.

Catfish
12-16-2021, 11:37 PM
He cant see any more pressure than he already has. That wont bother him. He has played at Bama at UGA at OM at A&M at Auburn and at Arkansas. At Kentucky. And he still has 3 more years to play.

He is the best passing QB in the history of the school, Dak never was asked nor would he have been good at what we ask Will to do. He could also go and run OMs offense and be just as good. Of course not running the ball but counting numbers and slinging it deep is all they ask.

He is going to leave here better than we have ever seen and some may not like it but that is their own fault. I have seen him throw many a fade and many a post. His arm strength is fine, it is not Favre. That is why there was only one Favre. I doubt Will is ever a HOF NFL QB, but I would not doubt him. Hell all he has done is prove this board wrong every step of the way.

Great post!!

Coach34
12-17-2021, 09:52 AM
How'd you "experts" feel about the Cowboys starting QB after his sophomore year in Starkville? /

The guy I said would be our the best QB we have ever had? The guy that blew up in the Liberty and led me to predict we would play Bama for the West title in 2014?

Yeahhhhhhh, you gonna have to try again.

Will has become a good college QB. As was Graham Harrell. And Kliff Kingsbury. And Taylor Potts.

Dawgology
12-17-2021, 02:02 PM
If Rogers stays another 3 he will end his career with over 20k passing

MedDawg
12-17-2021, 08:22 PM

Edited to add, apparently there were some questions about his arm strength coming out of Starkville... "Doesn?t possess the heralded ?power arm? that he was once rumored to have"

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015/12/24/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-dak-prescott/

Haters were still questioning Dak's arm strength after his NFL Rookie of the Year season.

OLJWales
12-17-2021, 09:56 PM
If Rogers stays another 3 he will end his career with over 20k passing

I'd be interested in opinions from NFL scouts because they'd simmer down half of the opinions here. There could be NFL offensive strategy changes that would weigh in Will's favor over next 2 years. Haven't there been successful NFL QB's with lower than avg arm strength?

Cowbell
12-17-2021, 10:07 PM
The guy I said would be our the best QB we have ever had? The guy that blew up in the Liberty and led me to predict we would play Bama for the West title in 2014?

Yeahhhhhhh, you gonna have to try again.

Will has become a good college QB. As was Graham Harrell. And Kliff Kingsbury. And Taylor Potts.
I remember when Jared Goff went first in the draft and wondering what people were thinking. Will is a better QB today than Goff was as a senior in college and People believed in him. You would have to be drinking magic coffee to bet against Will while also assuming what some of these idiot GMs will do in the draft.
I will make a cash bet with you today that he gets drafted higher than Dak if he starts two more years here.

Catfish
12-17-2021, 10:19 PM
Will's gonna be just fine.

DownwardDawg
12-17-2021, 10:24 PM
Will's gonna be just fine.

Yep. Perfect for MSU. He's a great fit.
Back to the OP..... I have no idea who will be our QB after Will leaves in 3 years. I have no idea who our backup will be the next few.

basedog
12-17-2021, 10:26 PM
I remember when Jared Goff went first in the draft and wondering what people were thinking. Will is a better QB today than Goff was as a senior in college and People believed in him. You would have to be drinking magic coffee to bet against Will while also assuming what some of these idiot GMs will do in the draft.
I will make a cash bet with you today that he gets drafted higher than Dak if he starts two more years here.

Will has gotten better every year he has played football. He is still maturing physically, in 2 or 3 years it will be interesting seeing how much he has matured mentally and physically. I wouldn’t bet against him, seems many have underestimated him and his ability.

Coach34
12-18-2021, 12:41 AM
Graham Harrell threw for almost 16K yards and had a 69.8 completion percentage in college. 134 TD's vs 34 Picks- went undrafted and cut during training camp for the Cleveland Browns who have struggled at the QB position to put it mildly.

Kingsbury threw for 13K plus was 6'3 and had the size the NFL is looking for in its QB's. His NFL career stats are 1-2 17 yards.

Goff was drafted because of his big arm. He throws a Fastball. So are many others. We'll see in a couple years where Rogers ends up- but being drafted highly is very unlikely. Being drafted period is best case scenario.

vv83
12-18-2021, 01:45 AM
I take you on your bet. $2500 cash straight up. Will picked 1-134 you win, 135-after I win. Will plays 80% of the snaps as the starter 2022 and 2023 or bet voids. Lmk

Dak Holliday
12-18-2021, 02:13 AM
Graham Harrell threw for almost 16K yards and had a 69.8 completion percentage in college. 134 TD's vs 34 Picks- went undrafted and cut during training camp for the Cleveland Browns who have struggled at the QB position to put it mildly.

Kingsbury threw for 13K plus was 6'3 and had the size the NFL is looking for in its QB's. His NFL career stats are 1-2 17 yards.

Goff was drafted because of his big arm. He throws a Fastball. So are many others. We'll see in a couple years where Rogers ends up- but being drafted highly is very unlikely. Being drafted period is best case scenario.

Be careful using the statistical college monsters that Leach has created that didn?t make it in the NFL, even though historically speaking, it?s the trend as examples. Also watch bringing up Graham Harrell. Folks on here take that insanely insulting. 😂 It doesn?t fit their fantasy.

Reunion Dog
12-18-2021, 02:57 AM
I want this bet too. I am taking the OVER +++

Cowbell
12-20-2021, 04:56 AM
I take you on your bet. $2500 cash straight up. Will picked 1-134 you win, 135-after I win. Will plays 80% of the snaps as the starter 2022 and 2023 or bet voids. Lmk

Game on. As long as you allow for any pre draft injury to void it on my end.

Cowbell
12-20-2021, 05:09 AM

Riddle me this barista....the last successful air raid QB in the SEC under leech.. where did he go in the draft? Quit using examples of QBs that racked up yards on 7v7 defenses. Heck even minshew went at pick 178

chef dixon
12-20-2021, 07:57 AM
Well this thread was a fail

Dak Holliday
12-20-2021, 09:14 AM
Riddle me this barista....the last successful air raid QB in the SEC under leech.. where did he go in the draft? Quit using examples of QBs that racked up yards on 7v7 defenses. Heck even minshew went at pick 178

He was also the first and to be fair, one could easily point to his struggles, fair or not, to why Leach?s QBs are discounted well below their unbelievable stat lines.

Dak Holliday
12-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Well this thread was a fail

Depends. With the possibility of 3 more seasons with Will at MSU, there?s a very good chance that his successor isn?t on campus yet. If it weren?t for the portal, evaluating a backup would be easier, but it does make it harder to speculate as to who is number 2. I?d say that if we see signed guys transfer out, there?s a good possibility that the backup will be a transfer like Lovertich, and we will get a new one each year.

thf24
12-20-2021, 11:51 AM
There are plenty of examples out there that say Will can and probably will make an NFL roster. But if he leaves early it'll be that he's tired of playing college football, not due to high draft stock.

Johnson85
12-21-2021, 11:35 AM
I'd be interested in opinions from NFL scouts because they'd simmer down half of the opinions here. There could be NFL offensive strategy changes that would weigh in Will's favor over next 2 years. Haven't there been successful NFL QB's with lower than avg arm strength?

I remember there was a QB from Marshall that played for I think the Jets? Pennington or something that starts with a P. I think he was a good decision maker whose lack of arm strength stopped him from being anything other than marginal.

Mathiston
12-21-2021, 11:50 AM
I love Will but Goff had a stronger arm at 15 than Will does today. And I would take your bet above 10x.

Cowbell
12-27-2021, 10:30 AM
I love Will but Goff had a stronger arm at 15 than Will does today. And I would take your bet above 10x.

I'm in - I don't mind getting paid twice. How much?