PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting vs. Ole Miss

KOdawg1
12-15-2021, 05:25 PM
Super proud of the way we punched back vs. OM after they took our lunch money last year. Here are the recruits that both schools wanted, and who got who

CB DeCarlos Nicholson - MSU: OM wanted him and ended up finishing 3rd behind us and UK

OT Percy Lewis - MSU: They made it interesting late, but we held on

DL Jacarius Clayton - MSU: They flipped him from us a few months ago, but he ends up signing where he originally wanted to be.

DL Trevion Williams - MSU: They may say they didn't want him, but they most certainly tried to get in the game late.

WR Marquez Dortch - MSU: Former OM commit, but he wanted to play WR and they wanted him at DB

DL Zxavian Harris - OM: We wanted him, no doubt. He committed to the Rebels early and stuck with them

WR Larry Simmons - OM: He showed interest in us, but stayed with them

OL Cam East - OM:: Committed to us for a long time, but we told him to shit or get off the pot in regards to signing in Dec, so he chose to get off the pot. Still a guy we wanted.

So not only did we hold our own, we went out and gave them a taste of their "flip" game. Kudos to the staff for buckling down and getting it done.

TNDawg35
12-15-2021, 05:31 PM
Rivals has us at #15 class and them 23.

247 is showing us at 23 and them at 22

Not bad going up against an”elite recruiter” in Kiffin as the media says…

KOdawg1
12-15-2021, 05:36 PM

247's own rankings have us at 17th. I trust it more than their composite ranking because the composite factors in ESPN, who has like two people covering recruiting. It's a joke.

Also, transfers will count with the rankings this year, so we could possibly move up some more.

OLJWales
12-15-2021, 05:41 PM
Super proud of the way we punched back vs. OM after they took our lunch money last year. Here are the recruits that both schools wanted, and who got who

CB DeCarlos Nicholson - MSU: OM wanted him and ended up finishing 3rd behind us and UK

DL Jacarius Clayton - MSU: They flipped him from us a few months ago, but he ends up signing where he originally wanted to be.

DL Trevion Williams - MSU: They may say they didn't want him, but they most certainly tried to get in the game late.

WR Marquez Dortch - MSU: Former OM commit, but he wanted to play WR and they wanted him at DB

DL Zxavian Harris - OM: We wanted him, no doubt. He committed to the Rebels early and stuck with them

OL Cam East - OM:: Committed to us for a long time, but we told him to shit or get off the pot in regards to signing in Dec, so he chose to get off the pot. Still a guy we wanted.

So not only did we hold our own, we went out and gave them a taste of their "flip" game. Kudos to the staff for buckling down and getting it done.

Good stuff. We should focus on STATE being the better option than Slave Masters Wife. Find out what they do and do it better. We CAN & we MUST.

dawgman15
12-15-2021, 05:41 PM
Where do yall get these numbers? When I look it has us at 26

KOdawg1
12-15-2021, 05:46 PM
Where do yall get these numbers? When I look it has us at 26

247's rankings: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TeamRankings/

247's composite rankings: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Bothrops
12-15-2021, 05:52 PM
247 composite update

State #22
Ole Miss #24

Fader21
12-15-2021, 05:56 PM
One thing that surprised me today was Vandy's not so Vandy like class.

SailingDawg
12-15-2021, 06:17 PM
One thing that surprised me today was Vandy's not so Vandy like class.

North Carolina in the top 10. What's their history? Certainly underperformed this year.

TrapGame
12-15-2021, 06:21 PM
If some service has us at #17 I'm going with that all day long. But we have some fans that love to wallow in despair and self loathing. They will always find the turd in the punch bowl.

We have the #17 recruiting class right now. To hell with everybody else.

Poke your chest out. We earned it today.

Rawdawg
12-15-2021, 06:27 PM
Ole Miss signed 3 in state kids today. Three.

BuckyIsAB****
12-15-2021, 06:27 PM

It will be at least a year before Harris is ready to play anything

KOdawg1
12-15-2021, 06:33 PM
It will be at least a year before Harris is ready to play anything

Agree. He's also out of position. He's an NFL OL. He's a mediocre DT.

Turfdawg67
12-15-2021, 06:38 PM
If some service has us at #17 I'm going with that all day long. But we have some fans that love to wallow in despair and self loathing. They will always find the turd in the punch bowl.

Not sure this was the best analogy. I would hope if you saw a turd in the punch bowl you wouldn't ignore it... for the good of the team be damned!!

Bdawg
12-15-2021, 06:40 PM
So Cam East told us he wanted to signed in Feb but ends up at OM today. Hmmm. Seemed Leach smelled out another signing day flipmas for us. That's why I like the way Leach recruits these guys. Saves us a little signing day heartache.

TrapGame
12-15-2021, 06:43 PM
Not sure this was the best analogy. I would hope if you saw a turd in the punch bowl you wouldn't ignore it... for the good of the team be damned!!

The turd in the punch ball is picking the worse ranking instead of the better one. If a reputable service has us at #17. ****ing take it.

yjnkdawg
12-15-2021, 07:17 PM
The turd in the punch ball is picking the worse ranking instead of the better one. If a reputable service has us at #17. ****ing take it.

I agree and why 247 still uses that stupid composite, I don't know. Must be contracts, agreements or whatever.

yjnkdawg
12-15-2021, 07:19 PM
So Cam East told us he wanted to signed in Feb but ends up at OM today. Hmmm. Seemed Leach smelled out another signing day flipmas for us. That's why I like the way Leach recruits these guys. Saves us a little signing day heartache.

With CML it is pretty much get on board the pirate ship or walk the plank and try to find another school.

Hot Rock
12-15-2021, 07:47 PM

You should check out Rivals. 13th therr

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2022/all-teams/football

And a certain other team at 31

yjnkdawg
12-15-2021, 08:01 PM

Yeah and the three they signed were 100% OM and they weren't going anywhere but OM. One acted like he wanted to come here, but our staff sniffed that charade out. They lost two former commits to us, and they wanted some other in state players but they signed with MSU, Bama and Miami. Great day to be a Dawg.

OhGee
12-15-2021, 08:10 PM

They recruit nationally.*

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-15-2021, 08:19 PM
They recruit nationally.*

What was that stupid hashtag they tried to push near the end of Matt Luke? #MississippiMade or something like that? lol

PGHBulldogBG
12-15-2021, 08:32 PM
Honestly Kiffin would do a really good job recruiting if he wasn?t so eager to always jump ship. He probably could get good classes but his inability for long term success at one school makes players apprehensive about committing. It?s basically the same thing we went through with Dan although I don?t think Dan wanted anything to do with recruiting regardless

OhGee
12-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Honestly Kiffin would do a really good job recruiting if he wasn?t so eager to always jump ship. He probably could get good classes but his inability for long term success at one school makes players apprehensive about committing. It?s basically the same thing we went through with Dan although I don?t think Dan wanted anything to do with recruiting regardless

The fact that he didn't jump this silly season ripe with opportunity gives me pause. I think he will be there a while.

Saltydog
12-15-2021, 08:37 PM
Kiffin, Ole Miss didn't have a huge signing day, "on purpose"......We shall see but I call BS.......Of course they're going after transfers but then again aren't we all?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lane-kiffin-ole-miss-football-213928441.html

OhGee
12-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Kiffin, Ole Miss didn't have a huge signing day, "on purpose"......We shall see but I call BS.......Of course they're going after transfers but then again aren't we all?

He's following the analytics on this.

Bdawg
12-15-2021, 08:45 PM
With CML it is pretty much get on board the pirate ship or walk the plank and try to find another school.

Yep I like it. No games played with Leach(against us that is)!

Activated Alpha
12-15-2021, 08:49 PM

CL mouth piece. They have to save face for the racist school up north. If it was State, they would write an article about how we underachieved and got beat out by OM?

Catfish
12-15-2021, 08:51 PM
CL mouth piece. They have to save face for the racist school up north. If it was State, they would write an article about how we underachieved and got beat out by OM?

This!

BuckyIsAB****
12-15-2021, 09:05 PM
Yeah and the three they signed were 100% OM and they weren't going anywhere but OM. One acted like he wanted to come here, but our staff sniffed that charade out. They lost two former commits to us, and they wanted some other in state players but they signed with MSU, Bama and Miami. Great day to be a Dawg.

We still left about 17ish points on the board against them I will never be over jt

Cooterpoot
12-15-2021, 09:32 PM

He's never been an elite recruiter.

Tripp McNeely
12-15-2021, 10:16 PM

When you're not good at developing players and are aware of that, this is how you HAVE to recruit.

Commercecomet24
12-15-2021, 10:18 PM
I can say on Decarlos, om was not third. He was never going to om. Florida State would've been third.

Turfdawg67
12-15-2021, 10:19 PM
The fact that he didn't jump this silly season ripe with opportunity gives me pause. I think he will be there a while.

The fact that literally no other school wanted him prevented him from jumping ship. Keep up Johnny Reb...

Catfish
12-15-2021, 10:22 PM
The fact that literally no other school wanted him prevented him from jumping ship. Keep up Johnny Reb...

Not to sure about Johnny Reb.

yjnkdawg
12-15-2021, 11:21 PM
It looks like Kiffin is going to live or die by the portal this year. But you can't upset or ignore high school coaches in your home state, if you are going to try and recruit their players.

TNDawg35
12-15-2021, 11:21 PM
He's never been an elite recruiter.

Coach O was always the elite recruiter for him... Kiffin may be the most overated coach out there. Im telling yall their biggest loss is/was Lebby...

yjnkdawg
12-15-2021, 11:24 PM

You have to have something to jump too before you can jump to it and Kiffin didn't have that opportunity.

yjnkdawg
12-15-2021, 11:25 PM
Coach O was always the elite recruiter for him... Kiffin may be the most overated coach out there. Im telling yall their biggest loss is/was Lebby...

Yep and losing Corral.

TheLostDawg
12-16-2021, 12:57 AM

Well I would say let him fill in for Chaney at recruiting but I think LSU is about to blame everything on him like ole Miss did freeze.

Todd4State
12-16-2021, 01:50 AM

Yep.

And the way Leach responded to them today is how I wish Dan had responded to them for years. Dan never understood the perception portion of recruiting at all. It's not a coincidence that Jacrius Clayton's recruitment played out almost exactly the same way MJ Daniel's did. I guarantee you that Ole Miss will think twice about playing hat/flipmas games with Leach.

Coach O was the main reason why Kiffin got his reputation like you said.

Todd4State
12-16-2021, 01:52 AM
Yep and losing Corral.

Goes without saying. I wouldn't be surprised if Ealy and Broeker declare for the NFL draft too. We'll see.

Todd4State
12-16-2021, 01:54 AM
Well I would say let him fill in for Chaney at recruiting but I think LSU is about to blame everything on him like ole Miss did freeze.

Coach O still has it made at LSU. He's going to essentially do the same thing that Ron Polk does for us in baseball. Except he's being paid millions more. I think LSU got out in front of everything more than Ole Miss did. Ole Miss didn't fire Freeze until they absolutely had no choice.

Todd4State
12-16-2021, 01:57 AM

Kiffin is going to have to prove that he can do it with players he actually recruited. AD's want some stability and a coach leaving every three years isn't going to provide that. He still tweets immature things. And I'm not sure that living off of the transfer portal is a sustainable way to go.

Dak Holliday
12-16-2021, 02:07 AM
Kiffin is going to have to prove that he can do it with players he actually recruited. AD's want some stability and a coach leaving every three years isn't going to provide that. He still tweets immature things. And I'm not sure that living off of the transfer portal is a sustainable way to go.

Well, he better get to recruiting defense. Durkin must be hard to play for because they?re hemorrhaging defensive players into the portal. Some could be due to them recruiting so poorly on D, but it doesn?t make sense to run them off without replacement in hand.

TUSK
12-16-2021, 02:11 AM

It's not, Todd. However (akin to JUCOs), it is a "quick fix"/"stop gap"/"build quickly" type strategy that's going to make some teams much better almost overnight...

However, that shit will blow up eventually... (See: JWS & Jucos)... [tick*3]

TNDawg35
12-16-2021, 03:43 AM
You have to have something to jump too before you can jump to it and Kiffin didn't have that opportunity.

This? I think Kiffin would have jumped, but no one wanted him. He was Miami?s 2nd choice and apparently Oregon would rather have a unproven DC than him. That should tell you something. He did exactly what Mullen did. He shipped his name around and interviewed for a couple, but there was no takers.

Let?s see what kind of OC they get. No one will take Durkin so he is safe, but he may not have any talent left to coach after this off season with their guys hitting the portal?

But the CL said it?s all part of the plan?***

Dak Holliday
12-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Kiffin seems to be banking on the portal. I will be interested in seeing how this works out. Traditionally, it?s worked well for OM, especially at QB. They were much better this year on D because of transfer players. I wonder if they don?t embrace that Mercenary U mentality, become the D1 equivalent of Last Chance U. I?d like to think it?s unsustainable, but with as new as the portal is, I don?t know that there?s been enough time to judge it?s value as a commodity. Do portal players affect rankings? If not, OM fans will struggle. Winning on signing day will be a thing of the past.

Commercecomet24
12-16-2021, 10:16 AM
It's not, Todd. However (akin to JUCOs), it is a "quick fix"/"stop gap"/"build quickly" type strategy that's going to make some teams much better almost overnight...

I believe you're right.

FANACTICFAN
12-16-2021, 10:44 AM

Not bad going up against an?elite recruiter? in Kiffin as the media says?

MSU has 22 signees compared to 19 signees for OM.

OhGee
12-16-2021, 09:56 PM
Anybody realize that this, the worst Ole Miss class in recent history is the first they?ve had without Yancy Porter pulling strings?

I?ve doubted how much he really contributed to crootin. But fancy coincidence this class is.

Todd4State
12-17-2021, 04:29 AM

I totally agree. It's hard for a MSU or Ole Miss to win mostly through the portal. People talk about how many players are in the portal but the reality is it's actually a fairly limited group and everyone is competing for the best of the best. The problem is you end up with a small core of high school players to build around. When you sign 15 high school guys- some of those are bound to not pan out which happens to everyone every year. And eventually you end up with a small senior class at some point. It takes awhile to cycle that out.

Todd4State
12-17-2021, 04:33 AM
Kiffin seems to be banking on the portal. I will be interested in seeing how this works out. Traditionally, it?s worked well for OM, especially at QB. They were much better this year on D because of transfer players. I wonder if they don?t embrace that Mercenary U mentality, become the D1 equivalent of Last Chance U. I?d like to think it?s unsustainable, but with as new as the portal is, I don?t know that there?s been enough time to judge it?s value as a commodity. Do portal players affect rankings? If not, OM fans will struggle. Winning on signing day will be a thing of the past.

Actually the last two QB's that they got as transfers were Jevan Snead and Jeremiah Masoli. They have had a lot of luck from the JUCO ranks- Bo Wallace, Chad Kelly, and Tu'amu.

Ole Miss had a lot of seniors and a Heisman contender at QB, a RB who could declare for the NFL and a LT that could declare for the NFL. Having that much experience is a recipe for success.

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2021, 08:48 AM
Actually the last two QB's that they got as transfers were Jevan Snead and Jeremiah Masoli. They have had a lot of luck from the JUCO ranks- Bo Wallace, Chad Kelly, and Tu'amu.

Ole Miss had a lot of seniors and a Heisman contender at QB, a RB who could declare for the NFL and a LT that could declare for the NFL. Having that much experience is a recipe for success.

That Senior laden team this season begs a question - Where would they have been with Matt Luke the past 2 years? The Piss & Miss team was mostly FR and SO and were the bulk of the 2021 team. If Luke, Rich Rod and MacIntyre had been left in place, would they have had similar results the past 2 years? I'm not saying Matt Luke is a better coach than Lane Kiffin - but you could tell that that team had some talent. Would the continuity of coaching and a talented SR laden team done as well for them?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-17-2021, 09:51 AM

I think the key to winning is taking such emphasis off of having to get instate guys. A team full of Mississippi talent ain't winning at a high clip.

OLJWales
12-17-2021, 01:47 PM
I think the key to winning is taking such emphasis off of having to get instate guys. A team full of Mississippi talent ain't winning at a high clip.

Not being able to land instate SEC Talent while losing them to your instate rival is a recipe for failure.

Schultzy
12-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Anyone else hearing Bo Nix to OM? I don’t think he can throw it well enough to maintain what they did offensively this year.

Extendedcab
12-17-2021, 04:59 PM
I don't think he can take a hit without falling apart. His accuracy before he was sacked right before halftime, of the MSU game, and after is like night and day.

Catfish
12-17-2021, 05:19 PM
I don't think he can take a hit without falling apart. His accuracy before he was sacked right before halftime, of the MSU game, and after is like night and day.

If I'm not mistaken he broke his ankle on that play.

Catfish
12-17-2021, 05:21 PM
Not being able to land instate SEC Talent while losing them to your instate rival is a recipe for failure.

Agree, nothing wrong with a roster full of Mississippi boys.

OLJWales
12-17-2021, 07:11 PM

Yep. TX, LA, AL & GA Got our outta state back.

Dak Holliday
12-18-2021, 02:20 AM

Whether Juco or Transfer, Corral is the only one I remember them signing and developing from a freshman in a long time. Maybe since Manning. OM seems to find decent gems at QB in other people?s trash piles.

TNDawg35
12-18-2021, 04:27 AM
Whether Juco or Transfer, Corral is the only one I remember them signing and developing from a freshman in a long time. Maybe since Manning. OM seems to find decent gems at QB in other people?s trash piles.

You have to realize tho, those trash piles are kids that have gotten kicked off of their teams and OM is the ONLY college to actually take them. Corrall was dropped by USC and then Florida cause he showed up to camps drunk/high. The kid was legit qb recruit. Dude just had Matt Luke as a coach. Once Lebby got him, he showed out.

Corall is one of the main reasons Kiffin and Lebby were at odds. Lebby did the work, and Kiffin took the credit. Lebby didn’t appreciate him acting like Kiffin was the savior of literally everything.

Dak Holliday
12-18-2021, 09:35 AM
You have to realize tho, those trash piles are kids that have gotten kicked off of their teams and OM is the ONLY college to actually take them. Corrall was dropped by USC and then Florida cause he showed up to camps drunk/high. The kid was legit qb recruit. Dude just had Matt Luke as a coach. Once Lebby got him, he showed out.

Corall is one of the main reasons Kiffin and Lebby were at odds. Lebby did the work, and Kiffin took the credit. Lebby didn?t appreciate him acting like Kiffin was the savior of literally everything.

I remember OM got him from UF. He turned out to be very legit.

PMDawg
12-18-2021, 10:51 AM
That Senior laden team this season begs a question - Where would they have been with Matt Luke the past 2 years? The Piss & Miss team was mostly FR and SO and were the bulk of the 2021 team. If Luke, Rich Rod and MacIntyre had been left in place, would they have had similar results the past 2 years? I'm not saying Matt Luke is a better coach than Lane Kiffin - but you could tell that that team had some talent. Would the continuity of coaching and a talented SR laden team done as well for them?

That's like asking if Croom could've duplicated the results of Mullen's second season, since a lot of those players were his recruits. I guess it's possible, but probably unlikely.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-28-2021, 09:45 AM

nothing wrong if you want to continue to be mediocre.

1bigdawg
12-28-2021, 11:55 AM

Still, I believe your base has to be Mississippi players, because you have a recruiting advantage with them. We have a much greater chance of signing a 4 star local player than one from out of state. That said, I agree we need to expand our out of state recruiting.

Catfish
12-28-2021, 12:09 PM

Mediocre? I'll take Mississippi boys every time.

OLJWales
12-28-2021, 12:27 PM
That's like asking if Croom could've duplicated the results of Mullen's second season, since a lot of those players were his recruits. I guess it's possible, but probably unlikely.

Never seen a better transition than Mullen's first year or a better 5-6 team in my life especially considering the toughest schedule in the country. That LSU game still haunts me since it was the first time in 20 years I'd seen us dominate both LOS against LSU. Croon would have done jack squat with Mullen's 1st or 2nd year players.

ETA: Had Croom been an above average SEC HC, It woulda propelled our program times a lot. Damn likeable black dude running the show woulda been huge. Woulda needed meds to stay awake on crootin' visits though.