PDA

View Full Version : Travis Hunter

ZedFedder
12-15-2021, 11:23 AM
Steve Wiltfong is reporting that the #1 player in the country may flip from Florida State to... JACKSON STATE. Holy cow, whether it happens or not, Coach Prime isn?t playing.

msstate7
12-15-2021, 11:26 AM
If JSU follows up this season with another good one, it's probably directional school time to prime time.

Tough Dawg
12-15-2021, 11:37 AM
Credit to his relationship with Dave Portnoy and Barstool Sports. It?s paying off.

SailingDawg
12-15-2021, 11:42 AM
So if a kid like Travis Hunter goes to Jackson State, is he doing himself a disservice? Will he develop against non Power 5 competition?

msstate7
12-15-2021, 11:45 AM
So if a kid like Travis Hunter goes to Jackson State, is he doing himself a disservice? Will he develop against non Power 5 competition?

Maybe, maybe not. Walter Payton and Steve McNair had great nfl careers

bulldawg28
12-15-2021, 11:47 AM

He'll be fine. He'd be developed by the best defensive back to play the game.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2021, 11:51 AM
Hunter to JSU is a done deal.

Freaking amazing.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2021, 11:51 AM
Sounds like this is actually happening. Apparently folks at FSU being notified he's going to Jackson State.

This is wild.

You lose a football game to Jacksonville State and the top recruit in the country to Jackson State in the same season.

Life hits hard sometimes.

SailingDawg
12-15-2021, 11:58 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Walter Payton and Steve McNair had great nfl careers

And Jerry Rice.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-15-2021, 11:59 AM
Portnoy doing work. Barstool NIL

OLJWales
12-15-2021, 12:07 PM
These is just a damn good sports story. Wasn't Deion already worth millions before he landed the JSU Gig? His passion is real and he seems to be doing what he wants to be doing. He was involved in the high school football scene here in N.TX prior to JSU. I respect a guy doing what he loves while not needing the money. (Assuming he does not)

FCS COY; Only FCS team not to lose to another FCS team. Not to shabby Prime Time.
https://thespun.com/college-football/college-football-world-reacts-to-deion-sanders-winning-fcs-award

OLJWales
12-15-2021, 12:10 PM

You'd be surprised how many SWAC players in the NFL.

StarkVegasSteve
12-15-2021, 12:30 PM
He isn?t going to JSU for Deion, he is going there because Barstool bought him for Deion so they could get better ratings for their Deion documentary. However, they probably just screwed Deion out of ever getting that FSU job.

CovertDawg
12-15-2021, 12:33 PM
He will do just fine as a corner. Can't teach his speed and quick twitch. If he was D-Line or O-Line then I would think differently just because you really do grow up battling other 300 pound dudes each day and getting the Power 5 strength & conditioning/ diet.

Fader21
12-15-2021, 12:50 PM
2 things will happen for Deion. JSU changes conferences (It is in Deion's Contract if they move conferences he gets 100,000 dollars) or Deion Sanders gets a Power 5 school job.

BrunswickDawg
12-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Text exchange with an FSU buddy of mine:
Me: Damn, Prime Time out here stealing y'all's #1 recruit. That's a kick in the nutts.
FSU Guy: You mean buying? College football is no longer. It's semi pro now. I very well may stop watching.

No, he didn't see the irony of an FSU fan complaining about a player being bought.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2021, 01:30 PM
I would like to see the fine print on that deal. $$$ must be spread out over multiple years or you could just take the money and hit the portal after 1 year.

Maverick91
12-15-2021, 01:32 PM
over under on how many balls will actually be thrown his way during his career there? im going under 75.

BigEasyDawg
12-15-2021, 01:39 PM
I'm hearing something to the effect of 2 mil and a tv contract for Travis Hunter with Barstool.

Maroonthirteen
12-15-2021, 02:04 PM
Regardless of irony, he ain't lying.

Offering a guy a tv deal and contract to sign for a certain school should be a ncaa violation. Maybe it still is but nobody cares.

ShotgunDawg
12-15-2021, 02:14 PM
While this is a great story, I expect between the Ewers situation and this, rules are about to be put into place. It's only a matter of time until this happens to Bama and Ohio State

sleepy dawg
12-15-2021, 04:12 PM
For the most part the recruiting rankings have turned out just about the way they always do and we get a some cool things like this happening. I like the way things are going. The sport needs more parity and we are seeing it even if its small right now.

Everybody is so terrified that the teams currently buying all the players might become different teams that are buying all the players.

Irondawg
12-15-2021, 05:26 PM
Yep when you get an NLI based on signing with a particular school then you really have a Pandora?s box as that wasn?t really the intent for all this.

I love this though because it forces the big schools to table to have serious talks about how to fence this stuff into some level of sanity (including coaching salaries)

Dak Holliday
12-15-2021, 07:48 PM
And Jerry Rice.

Mississippi HBCs have more HOF NFL players than the rest of our schools combined, I believe.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2021, 08:06 PM
I don't think this impacts anything honestly.

Remember Makur Maker? I'm sure that doesn't ring a bell anymore. 2 years ago he was the 5 star basketball recruit that broke the mold and went to Howard. Said he was going to change the game and go to an HBCU and blaze the path.

In year 1 he averaged 11.5 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists. Season cut short due to Covid. He enters his name in the draft. Then he withdraws it because he's not projecting a a first round pick. Then he announces he's not returning to Howard. Now he's playing for the Sydney Kings in the professional Australian basketball league.

This won't last because money, prestige, and fame talk. He might get that initially from this, but the exposure won't come long term at JSU. There's no way he stays at Jackson State. He will get his money and follow Deion to the Power 5 job he gets next year.

Dak Holliday
12-15-2021, 08:10 PM

Remember Makur Maker? I'm sure that doesn't ring a bell anymore. 2 years ago he was the 5 star basketball recruit that broke the mold and went to Howard. Said he was going to change the game and go to an HBCU and blaze the path.

In year 1 he averaged 11.5 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists. Season cut short due to Covid. He enters his name in the draft. Then he withdraws it because he's not a first round pick. Then he announces he's not returning to Howard.

There's no way he stays at Jackson State. He will get his money and follow Deion to the Power 5 job he gets next year.

It?s definitely well within the realm of possibility. Either way, kudos to him for injecting some life into a once great program.

Tbonewannabe
12-15-2021, 08:11 PM
Mississippi HBCs have more HOF NFL players than the rest of our schools combined, I believe.

Things are very different now compared to the eighties. Not a lot of talent in the SWAC. It is basically like playing JV.

JSU is also a shit hole. Not sure how you could visit a big P5 and then choose JSU.

Activated Alpha
12-15-2021, 08:45 PM
Things are very different now compared to the eighties. Not a lot of talent in the SWAC. It is basically like playing JV.

JSU is also a shit hole. Not sure how you could visit a big P5 and then choose JSU.

The campus itself is better then some give credit for. They have upgraded and improved some buildings. Now the surrounding neighborhoods? Not so much. Probably near some of the highest crime areas of Jackson.

OhGee
12-15-2021, 08:53 PM

In year 1 he averaged 11.5 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists. Season cut short due to Covid. He enters his name in the draft. Then he withdraws it because he's not projecting a a first round pick. Then he announces he's not returning to Howard. Now he's playing for the Sydney Kings in the professional Australian basketball league.

This won't last because money, prestige, and fame talk. He might get that initially from this, but the exposure won't come long term at JSU. There's no way he stays at Jackson State. He will get his money and follow Deion to the Power 5 job he gets next year.

The football and basketball universes are completely different.

IMO, football talent is more rare. Fewer schools for development. Fewer players. Fewer years of service. Fewer superstars.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-15-2021, 09:03 PM
Anybody remember the recruit who chose Millsaps over all of the SEC powers? He was a national recruit.

Dak Holliday
12-15-2021, 09:23 PM

Maybe he saw it as an opportunity to do more for his community while entering the tutelage of one of the greatest CBs to ever play the game who also is looking to help guide him into a career while securing a 1 mil dollar NIL deal with Barstool. Probably not too bad a deal for him. If he?s all he looks to be, he will be fine. Sometimes all it takes for a fire to ignite is a spark. Deion has done a lot for JSU and Jackson, MS. That?s great, and I?m all for it.

yjnkdawg
12-15-2021, 11:34 PM
2 things will happen for Deion. JSU changes conferences (It is in Deion's Contract if they move conferences he gets 100,000 dollars) or Deion Sanders gets a Power 5 school job.

This

Todd4State
12-15-2021, 11:55 PM
Anybody remember the recruit who chose Millsaps over all of the SEC powers? He was a national recruit.

Jason Cabell?

yjnkdawg
12-16-2021, 12:04 AM

Deon has some more players on his team that had P5 offers.

Todd4State
12-16-2021, 02:01 AM
Deon has some more players on his team that had P5 offers.

Yes, but most of them are guys that didn't pan out at SEC schools or somewhere like Florida State. But that may translate into a really good SWAC player.

parabrave
12-16-2021, 02:01 AM
So when this guy gets his draft stock in a couple of years and it say 4th rounder do we pick him up in the portal?

Tater
12-16-2021, 02:27 AM
So when this guy gets his draft stock in a couple of years and it say 4th rounder do we pick him up in the portal?

More like next year. But no, he'll follow the money again. The beauty of this is that you're going to see schools like A&M have buyers remorse by buying these kid's freshman years. The money is in free agent shopping every year. The big teams will realize that paying for the freshman year ain't worth it. You gotta pay to keep 'em too. See: Quinn Ewers

somebodyshotmypaw
12-16-2021, 07:48 AM
Jason Cabell?

Bingo. I remember a coach from Florida say “how do I go back and tell Spurrier that I lost a recruit to Millsaps”. He had offers from all the top programs.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2021, 08:50 AM
I have a feeling this Hunter deal with Barstool is about to open a Pandora?s box. I said it yesterday when it was announced but what is going to stop Bama, LSU, Texas, or another blue blood from going to a Netflix, Hulu, or Disney and saying hey help us get this kid and we will give you 24/7 access to our program.

OLJWales
12-16-2021, 09:26 AM
What did JSU do that Free Shoes U could not? Isn't this a dude who just wants to play for Prime Time?

Okay. Netflix wanting the documentary.

BrunswickDawg
12-16-2021, 09:38 AM
I have a feeling this Hunter deal with Barstool is about to open a Pandora?s box. I said it yesterday when it was announced but what is going to stop Bama, LSU, Texas, or another blue blood from going to a Netflix, Hulu, or Disney and saying hey help us get this kid and we will give you 24/7 access to our program.

Because the #1 driver for Netflix, etc is ratings. There is only so much bandwidth and interested eyeballs for sports product around the globe (and they do think globally). You have to have some sort of compelling storyline for these shows to work. Last Chance U worked for a couple of seasons - but after that, it was a lot of the same stuff over and over. #1 recruit in the country going HBCU is a compelling story. #1 recruit going to Bama to play with the last 4 years #1 recruits for the 2,345 time National Champ, is not a compelling story.

Todd4State
12-17-2021, 04:41 AM
What did JSU do that Free Shoes U could not? Isn't this a dude who just wants to play for Prime Time?

Okay. Netflix wanting the documentary.

You answered your own question. But this guy I think is going to get a million dollars from Barstool or whoever and will do the show and then he can go transfer out to wherever after that. No matter what he does he is already a millionaire basically.

I don't blame him. Especially since he is a cornerback. Learning from Deion Sanders isn't a terrible thing for that. Plus, I could see JSU maybe using him at WR as well some.

bulldawg28
12-17-2021, 06:22 AM
Deion already said the million dollar rumors are a lie. The truth is ANY African American football athlete will listen to someone like Deion that's been where they want to go. It makes sense and is what everyone with aspirations does. Kudos to the kid and Deion. This kid was/is destined for the NFL regardless of where he attended college.

smootness
12-17-2021, 01:59 PM

To be fair, when you say Maker's season was cut short, it was cut way short. He played in 2 games before being hurt, then their season was basically canceled after 5 games. That's not enough time to do anything. It's certainly possible with a full year he could have dominated and brought a real spotlight.

Maroonthirteen
12-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Deion already said the million dollar rumors are a lie. The truth is ANY African American football athlete will listen to someone like Deion that's been where they want to go. It makes sense and is what everyone with aspirations does. Kudos to the kid and Deion. This kid was/is destined for the NFL regardless of where he attended college.

That's Coach Prime to you