12-14-2021, 10:21 PM
Why not $180K Gene?

preachermatt83
12-14-2021, 10:24 PM
50k a year? This marks the end of teams like state being able to compete

SailingDawg
12-14-2021, 10:31 PM

Yeah it's only going to get worse. OM has enough lawyers and doctors to support their mid SEC team.

The Federalist Engineer
12-14-2021, 11:22 PM
SMU far richer than most schools in D1 sports has a $1M war chest for NILs

If they got mad and serious, they can do 5-to-10x that amount. Really no sweat for their ultra rich alumni base.

Someone tell me, can a school pay $75k per player then just hire NFL type coaches, cheaper strategists rather than expensive CEOs. Seems like a cost savings to just hire players.

Todd4State
12-15-2021, 02:18 AM
Yeah it's only going to get worse. OM has enough lawyers and doctors to support their mid SEC team.

With the NIL schools themselves are going to have to come up with the money. Probably in the form of higher ticket prices and Bulldog Club donations for us.

One thing no one talks about us when talking about Ole Miss is we have a larger fanbase. As in more people. That's in our favor. MSU fans will support something that wins big. We've shown that with baseball and women's basketball. Something for MSU to think about.

Todd4State
12-15-2021, 02:22 AM
SMU far richer than most schools in D1 sports has a $1M war chest for NILs

If they got mad and serious, they can do 5-to-10x that amount. Really no sweat for their ultra rich alumni base.

Someone tell me, can a school pay $75k per player then just hire NFL type coaches, cheaper strategists rather than expensive CEOs. Seems like a cost savings to just hire players.

Explain what you mean by NFL type coaches? As in on the field assistants or off the field as analysts who are basically retired?

Still going to need to pay for good coaches IMO. The LSU Coach O model is only sustainable until the assistants leave. Same with Arkansas. It's hard to hit on good assistants every time. What we have with Leach is much more consistently stable.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-15-2021, 10:02 AM

Have you ever looked at recruiting rankings? Terrible blue bloods like Texas still pulled in more 4 and 5 stars per class than we do in 4. Newton went to Auburn because we didn't pay. Kids have talked for years about wanting to be "shown the love" as they take official visits, even after committing.

The money has ALWAYS been flowing, State has NEVER been competitive in recruiting, all NIL does is make the problem worse. But hte problem was so bad already I don't see the difference. State has a zero chance of every signing a top 10 classes, much less the back to back to back elite classes needed to compete

OLJWales
12-15-2021, 10:20 AM
With the NIL schools themselves are going to have to come up with the money. Probably in the form of higher ticket prices and Bulldog Club donations for us.

One thing no one talks about us when talking about Ole Miss is we have a larger fanbase. As in more people. That's in our favor. MSU fans will support something that wins big. We've shown that with baseball and women's basketball. Something for MSU to think about.
If we can use Athletic Dept funds, that makes me feel a little better. That would be a small percentage of our budget even if we went Longhorn style; no?

Cowbell
12-15-2021, 10:28 AM
If we can use Athletic Dept funds, that makes me feel a little better. That would be a small percentage of our budget even if we went Longhorn style; no?

You can't do that though.

The Federalist Engineer
12-15-2021, 10:44 AM
Explain what you mean by NFL type coaches? As in on the field assistants or off the field as analysts who are basically retired?

Still going to need to pay for good coaches IMO. The LSU Coach O model is only sustainable until the assistants leave. Same with Arkansas. It's hard to hit on good assistants every time. What we have with Leach is much more consistently stable.

NFL coaches are supposed to be master strategists and scouts, without the Political responsibilities of the College coaches, that are almost State Governor-like-figures.

If you pay the players, that makes the AD like a GM and CEO, the real face of the program. The guy that signs your check.

Thought Experiment:

A good 3.5M coach that has 83-players making 50K paid players should not be at a disadvantage to a 7.5M coach with the 35K player salary. I think you get more bang for the buck to pay the players and position coaches. I would cap my HC at 3.5M in today's dollars.

Even within players, there are economics, say a theoretical average of 50K at MSU, will the OL will be 75K and RB's 25K. QB will be 100K and the WR's 30K.

There is a Billy Beane story unfolding here.

Jack Lambert
12-15-2021, 12:24 PM

That's the perception but there are a lot and I mean a lot of doctors that got Bachelors from Miss State.

RocketDawg
12-15-2021, 07:58 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachGeneChizik/status/1470902722077642760

I agree with Chizik.

The Federalist Engineer
12-15-2021, 08:46 PM
I agree with Chizik.

If a D1 college offered Czizck a job, say 5M per season. Would he say: "No, that's way to much. I want to paid like a struggling American gig worker"

Plus 50K per season is really not that much. People add the education but I wonder how many players would just say pay me, I'll take my classes at the Free community college.

Colleges charge 200K for the degree, doesn't mean the classes are worth that. Some Coaches even discourage challenge Majors for athletes.

OhGee
12-15-2021, 08:55 PM
Dude, $50k is probably more than the average family income for half the D1 football players.

Reason2succeed
12-15-2021, 10:10 PM
The players have been getting paid since forever. The only difference is that it?s being done with the lights on now. See: Reggie Bush.

bobcat91
12-15-2021, 10:15 PM
I agree with Chizik.

Lol. He and his Auburn family bought Cam Newton and others to get their National Championship. That rich coming from him