PDA

View Full Version : Football - the portal

somebodyshotmypaw
12-13-2021, 11:25 PM
Juco has always been a big equalizer for MSU. We got tons of players. Sweat, Abram, Chris White, Autry, McPhee, Smoot, Bean, Golliday, Vic Ballard, Ashley Cooper, and the list goes on and on and on.

Now it's the portal. And everybody uses it. It can fill holes in a roster similar to the way JUCO was used. It's like NFL free agency. We have to manager the portal correctly.

Do some schools have something like a GM of roster management? Somebody who helps the coaching staff mesh the 3 talent acquisition systems (high school, JUCO, and portal)? I guess that is what the off-the-field recruiting assistants help do?

The portal and NIL are changing the landscape. It will be interesting to see what college football is like in 10 years.

HoopsDawg
12-13-2021, 11:33 PM
Juco has always been a big equalizer for MSU. We got tons of players. Sweat, Abram, Chris White, Autry, McPhee, Smoot, Bean, Golliday, Vic Ballard, Ashley Cooper, and the list goes on and on and on.

Now it's the portal. And everybody uses it. It can fill holes in a roster similar to the way JUCO was used. It's like NFL free agency. We have to manager the portal correctly.

Do some schools have something like a GM of roster management? Somebody who helps the coaching staff mesh the 3 talent acquisition systems (high school, JUCO, and portal)? I guess that is what the off-the-field recruiting assistants help do?

The portal and NIL are changing the landscape. It will be interesting to see what college football is like in 10 years.

There are pay services you can use to monitor the portal. Hopefully, we are committing a good amount of resources to the portal. It's crucial for MSU.

TheLostDawg
12-15-2021, 10:18 PM
Arkansas kicker entered portal. Not sure how good he is. Says 2 team all State 5a out of high school but I don't think we ever offered him.

A DL entered as well among others but he's the only one that seems to possibly have potential.

TALL DAWG
12-15-2021, 10:24 PM

10 years? Try in 4-5 years.

Leroy Jenkins
12-15-2021, 10:34 PM
Arkansas kicker entered portal. Not sure how good he is. Says 2 team all State 5a out of high school but I don't think we ever offered him.

I remember watching the Arkansas game thinking "Damn, this game has the most kicker swag I've ever seen." It was him vs. a half-injured Ruiz. I think he even had a little dance he did when he kicked the ball. He was fun to watch.

TheLostDawg
12-15-2021, 10:54 PM
I remember watching the Arkansas game thinking "Damn, this game has the most kicker swag I've ever seen." It was him vs. a half-injured Ruiz. I think he even had a little dance he did when he kicked the ball. He was fun to watch.

The guy in the portal didn't kick that game

IMissJack
12-15-2021, 11:05 PM

The difference between juco and portal is that MSU had an advantage with juco because so many in MS. Everyone has the same privilege with the portal.

WPS
12-17-2021, 05:09 PM
The guy in the portal didn't kick that game

Yeah Vito did kickoffs only, and was elite at it. But he's transferring because he wants to be able to be a full-time FG kicker somewhere and the Arkansas placekicker was a freshman.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-17-2021, 05:55 PM
The difference between juco and portal is that MSU had an advantage with juco because so many in MS. Everyone has the same privilege with the portal.

That is correct.

Catfish
12-17-2021, 08:14 PM
So what's the deal with Ruiz and his injury, Is he out permanently, did he transfer? Any chance he can come back next year and be effective.

R2Dawg
12-17-2021, 09:12 PM

Agree. We still need to milk the JUCO as it is still our advantage. Portal has its place too.

bobcat91
12-17-2021, 09:30 PM
Ruiz graduated and is gone