PDA

View Full Version : Would you be willing to hire Gregg Marshall?

Quaoarsking
12-12-2021, 11:42 AM
His record speaks for itself:
https://i.imgur.com/voJGaKB.png

However, he was fired from Wichita State after reports of abuse, including punching a player, choking a coach, and racially insensitive comments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Marshall

MetEdDawg
12-12-2021, 11:55 AM
Hell no.

Individuals like him need to be out of sports. As an educator I couldn't live with myself knowing I willingly would put someone like that in front of kids to lead them. I would be extremely disappointed in our leadership if we even kicked the tires on that.

Wins at the expense of safety is wrong and Marshall would be exactly that.

msstate7
12-12-2021, 11:58 AM
Yes

Tripp McNeely
12-12-2021, 12:27 PM
Would he be able to recruit at a decent level and would he be able (if need be) to hire African American assistants after the remarks that he made? I could see all of that (and probably rightfully so) being used against him, wherever he ends up.

...that being said, I'd take him in a second if he could somehow overcome all that...the dude wins!

Dawgology
12-12-2021, 12:27 PM
It’s funny because in football this is the kind of coach that Saban would hire for “rehab” and no one would bat an eye. He would be super successful for a couple years with him and then he would get a P5 job.

Dak Holliday
12-12-2021, 12:29 PM
I am not against tough coaching. Demand and expecting more while pushing the line of comfortability to get the most from an athlete, but this sounds beyond that. Discipline means to teach. Show them how to do more, be more, but above all else, do no harm willingly. I?m not a huge basketball fan, but my answer is no, this type of behavior is not something I would want for my kids, so I won?t wish it on someone else?s just so fans can enjoy a meaningless win.

KOdawg1
12-12-2021, 12:31 PM
Yup.

I'm ready to be good in basketball again. I'm fine with a controversial coach being the one to get us there at this point.

Quaoarsking
12-12-2021, 12:34 PM
Hell no.

Individuals like him need to be out of sports. As an educator I couldn't live with myself knowing I willingly would put someone like that in front of kids to lead them. I would be extremely disappointed in our leadership if we even kicked the tires on that.

What if we make it clear that it's a zero-tolerance, automatic insta-fire for any violent or racist incidents? He can get a second chance, but not a third one, at least not with us.

Dawgology
12-12-2021, 12:34 PM
Would he be able to recruit at a decent level and would he be able (if need be) to hire African American assistants after the remarks that he made? I could see all of that (and probably rightfully so) being used against him, wherever he ends up.

...that being said, I'd take him in a second if he could somehow overcome all that...the dude wins!

I’ve not read any of his racist comments but it seems most complaints are him calling some of his players “****ing pussies” when they weren’t giving it all on the court or playing without focus. Hahaha. My how times have changed…and I’m not that old.

parabrave
12-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Yep on a very tight leash. However someone like that is already behind the 8 ball with the players and families of potential recruits.

Cooterpoot
12-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Without seeing the actual proof on what he did, I can't say. Having had numerous kids deal with abusive coaches, it depends on what the specifics are. There are some people that don't deserve to coach. There are some that get in trouble over some BS too. Choking people would be a hell no! Punching could be many things (see the Washington coach recently). So could insensitive talk. Specifics matter

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2021, 12:46 PM
No, because only an asshat would spell his name like that on purpose.

MetEdDawg
12-12-2021, 01:02 PM
What if we make it clear that it's a zero-tolerance, automatic insta-fire for any violent or racist incidents? He can get a second chance, but not a third one, at least not with us.

Nope. Because what's the line? How do establish a line of exactly what he can and can't say? What words are off limits?

Guys that do the things he did don't change. They became successful intimidating others and acting unprofessionally. They very rarely change.

I don't ever want to win bad enough where a guy like that gets a second chance at our program. And he would absolutely impact recruiting in a negative way.

You have to have some type of morals in this business when it comes to people in your program. You can't choke people. You can't berate and demean people. Just not acceptable and parents and kids aren't tolerating that anymore. They don't mind being coached hard. But you can't do some of the things he did and walk into a 5 star parents house with credibility.

RiverCityDawg
12-12-2021, 01:05 PM
I was always a big fan of Marshall as a coach and would probably hold my nose and be on board if we hired him, but if I was an AD I don't think I could hire a guy that punched a player, choked an assistant, and verbally berated his players on a personal level the way he did, according to the reports.

I'm good with tough coaching (and believe our team needs more of it), but there is a line and it seems pretty clear that Marshall operated on the other side of that line often.

confucius say
12-12-2021, 01:14 PM
I would need to know the details of what happened

Jarius
12-12-2021, 01:47 PM
He allegedly told one of his Native American players to “go get back on his horse” and told another of a different race that “he would be a good coffee bean picker”. He allegedly choked a coach and hit a player at practice. Also allegedly tried to punch another student athlete for parking in his spot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30335808/wichita-state-men-basketball-coach-gregg-marshall-resigns-investigation%3fplatform=amp

msstate7
12-12-2021, 01:53 PM
Texas Tech Coach Mike Leach Fired After Claims of Abuse

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-tech-university-football-coach-mike-leach-fired/story?id=9449169

SteelCurtain74
12-12-2021, 02:11 PM
On the surface, I would say no. If details came to light to show the accusations were blown out of proportion then maybe.

The problem would be that we are paying our current head coach a little over 2 million per year. When Marshall left Wichita St, he was making 3.5 million. I don't see the administration making that type of a financial commitment to a questionable hire, at least from a PR standpoint.

MoreCowbell
12-12-2021, 02:14 PM
Wes Miller- Coach at UNC Greensboro is who we need to throw the bank at

Dak Holliday
12-12-2021, 02:16 PM
I have no issue with a coach questioning your manhood or calling you a *****, but that?s not what this sounds like, and using your authority to attack people knowing that an act defense will be met with punishment is reprehensible. He sounds like he just needs to meet the right guy. It?s times like this that I wish Ed O was the assistant coach he tried to choke.

Bdawg
12-12-2021, 02:23 PM
No, because only an asshat would spell his name like that on purpose.

Wouldn't his parents be the asshat or did he change it? Just saying

Jarius
12-12-2021, 02:24 PM
On the surface, I would say no. If details came to light to show the accusations were blown out of proportion then maybe.

The problem would be that we are paying our current head coach a little over 2 million per year. When Marshall left Wichita St, he was making 3.5 million. I don't see the administration making that type of a financial commitment to a questionable hire, at least from a PR standpoint.

He would not command nearly that much money at this time. We could get him really cheap. No one else is hiring that guy.

Bdawg
12-12-2021, 02:25 PM
Without seeing the actual proof on what he did, I can't say. Having had numerous kids deal with abusive coaches, it depends on what the specifics are. There are some people that don't deserve to coach. There are some that get in trouble over some BS too. Choking people would be a hell no! Punching could be many things (see the Washington coach recently). So could insensitive talk. Specifics matter

Yeah. Specifics do matter. He was fired for a reason but it needs to be sure exactly what it was. I'm all for a hard nosed coach at this point with what I watched yesterday.

MetEdDawg
12-12-2021, 02:32 PM
He would not command nearly that much money at this time. We could get him really cheap. No one else is hiring that guy.

Wouldn't this also be a reason for US not to hire him if no one else is interested?

What successful program goes after people that no one wants?

Madisonmd
12-12-2021, 02:35 PM
NO! HE IS TOXIC

DEDawg
12-12-2021, 02:41 PM
1000% yes

DownwardDawg
12-12-2021, 02:48 PM
Yes

Quaoarsking
12-12-2021, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't this also be a reason for US not to hire him if no one else is interested?

Iona, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%9322_Iona_Gaels_men%27s_basketball_team

Maybe I should have made the thread about R*** P***** instead.

Chuck3124
12-12-2021, 04:43 PM
Why not Rick Pitino??

RiverCityDawg
12-12-2021, 05:56 PM
Texas Tech Coach Mike Leach Fired After Claims of Abuse

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-tech-university-football-coach-mike-leach-fired/story?id=9449169

If all of the various allegations against Marshall prove to be as false as that single allegation against Leach has been proven to be, Marshall will get a much better job than Mississippi State.

Jarius
12-12-2021, 06:41 PM

I don’t really have an opinion on this because I don’t know how much is true. I just know that with the culture we live in he has very little chance of getting hired with that hanging over his head.

mparkerfd20
12-12-2021, 06:58 PM
In a heartbeat. Anyone saying no is an idiot.

Joebob
12-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Absolutely not. It would make us look desperate and unprincipled. No amount of wins on earth is worth giving away our integrity.

schddog72
12-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Hell no.

Agree; he's just too toxic. We would be the most disrespected college basketball program in the country. I don't see how he could recruit at anywhere close to a competitive level with all the baggage that came out about it, true or not.

Pancho
12-12-2021, 08:20 PM
Wes Miller- Coach at UNC Greensboro is who we need to throw the bank at

This

CaptainObvious
12-13-2021, 12:16 AM
Agree; he's just too toxic. We would be the most disrespected college basketball program in the country. I don't see how he could recruit at anywhere close to a competitive level with all the baggage that came out about it, true or not.

Ha!!

?Mississippi State Basketball players wearing wife beater T-shirts in the stands go to blows in Hawaii!?

Talk about disrespected programs!

Hot Rock
12-13-2021, 08:26 AM
Nope, a man that puts his hands on another and chokes him in a fit of rage should ever be allowed to coach anywhere again.

People saying that type of behavior is OK is bullshit.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-13-2021, 10:16 AM
His record is good but "punching a player, choking a coach, and racially insensitive comments" cancels every bit of it. A school in the deep south? He would start out with a HUGE disadvantage and cancel culture would be all over him with any success here. That kind of pub is the last thing our basketball program needs.

Johnson85
12-13-2021, 10:34 AM
Absolutely not. It would make us look desperate and unprincipled. No amount of wins on earth is worth giving away our integrity.

College basketball and integrity do not go together.

We should hire him if we think his reputation won't tank his recruiting and if he acts like he wants to not be an ass hat.

With how easy it is to transfer, I'm not sure he can be successful unless he can really drop the personal attacks. Berating players for not giving their all is fine; but you can't attack them personally and you can't go off on them anymore just for 17ing up when it's not effort or disicpline related.

CovertDawg
12-13-2021, 10:38 AM
Finding a good young basketball coach should not be very difficult. The sport is much more balanced than football, so figuring out if a mid major head coach is the real deal is pretty easy when examining the analytics. It is exactly what Alabama did with Nate Oates when they got him from Buffalo.

Saltydog
12-13-2021, 07:53 PM
Why not Rick Pitino??

Not enough restaurants in Starkville to satisfy his sexual tendencies........

ImissCityBagel
12-13-2021, 08:40 PM
Actually, I'd take Ben Johnson from the Gopher's first.
One of Travis Steele's guys. Already doing well. Bi-racial, so everyone's happy.
Better than retirement Howland.

OLJWales
12-13-2021, 08:53 PM
In a heartbeat. Anyone saying no is an idiot.

Dats duh spirit. Why must we shat upon the George Pattons of the world while categorizing testosterone as a controlled substance? I wanna fighter who kicks ass and wins and doesn't care about Whiney Asses.

Johnson85
12-14-2021, 09:22 AM

You really wish we had never hired Jackie Sherrill? That's a take...

sandjunky
12-14-2021, 10:18 AM
Yes

OLJWales
12-14-2021, 10:40 AM
You really wish we had never hired Jackie Sherrill? That's a take...

But he cut a bulls balls off! OMG!

MoreCowbell
12-14-2021, 11:46 AM
Why not Rick Pitino??

Doubt Pitino would come to Starkville

MaroonFlounder
12-14-2021, 01:50 PM
Basketball is #3 in my priority level, after baseball and football. The flow of basketball games in college is nauseating. Officiating is inconsistent, but more often on the bad side of inconsistent.

Whomever the coach is doesn't really move my giv-a-shit meter.