View Full Version : Will Rogers getting some love for next year's Heisman....

99jc
12-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Mississippi State QB Will Rogers

Mike Leach has a long and impressive history of QBs putting up big numbers, but it's possible Rogers ends up as the best of the bunch. Rogers threw for 300 yards or more in 11 of 12 games in the regular season (he managed a measly 294 in a win over NC State) and finished with 35 touchdowns. Entering Year 3 as the starter in Leach's Air Raid scheme, we know Rogers will have a Heisman stat line. Whether he can elevate the Bulldogs enough for voters to embrace the player rather than the scheme is the big question.

msstate7
12-12-2021, 08:56 AM
With the way he played in sec play down the stretch, he absolutely should get hype. With that said, unless he gets us to Atlanta and beats bama, he (nor any sec west qb) won't even get invited

R2Dawg
12-12-2021, 09:29 AM
With the way he played in sec play down the stretch, he absolutely should get hype. With that said, unless he gets us to Atlanta and beats bama, he (nor any sec west qb) won't even get invited

Totally agree. He could pass for 7000 yards next year and if he don't beat Bama it won't matter. Bama didn't have a heisman winner till what 10 years ago, now they will have a player or two in finals every year. Beat Bama or you will not win it. Can rename it the Bama award if you want

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2021, 09:49 AM
The heisman has lost all its prestige in my opinion. I could care less

Catfish
12-12-2021, 10:12 AM

This

Dak Holliday
12-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Mississippi State QB Will Rogers

Mike Leach has a long and impressive history of QBs putting up big numbers, but it's possible Rogers ends up as the best of the bunch. Rogers threw for 300 yards or more in 11 of 12 games in the regular season (he managed a measly 294 in a win over NC State) and finished with 35 touchdowns. Entering Year 3 as the starter in Leach's Air Raid scheme, we know Rogers will have a Heisman stat line. Whether he can elevate the Bulldogs enough for voters to embrace the player rather than the scheme is the big question.

So, is this you giving Will hype or a national sports writer?

Also, unless he sustains serious injury, Will should set the bar for a CML AR QB because of time in the system. Starting as a FR and playing in the doesn?t count against you Covid year pretty much guarantees this. He may very well set the NCAA record in a few categories, but those alone don?t win Heisman trophies. In fact, some may claim that the AirRaid system makes it harder for Will as many will discount his numbers attributing them to the system.

99jc
12-12-2021, 12:25 PM
So, is this you giving Will hype or a national sports writer?

Also, unless he sustains serious injury, Will should set the bar for a CML AR QB because of time in the system. Starting as a FR and playing in the doesn?t count against you Covid year pretty much guarantees this. He may very well set the NCAA record in a few categories, but those alone don?t win Heisman trophies. In fact, some may claim that the AirRaid system makes it harder for Will as many will discount his numbers attributing them to the system. This was off ESPN.

SaintDawg
12-12-2021, 12:40 PM

Yep. When they gave it to that douchebag Johnny Manziel, that ended the hype for me.

msstate7
12-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Yep. When they gave it to that douchebag Johnny Manziel, that ended the hype for me.

Manziel was great that year

parabrave
12-12-2021, 02:24 PM

He earned it.

Todd4State
12-12-2021, 02:42 PM

In the Saban era the last three Heisman winners that were non-Alabama players beat Alabama. And I think all three beat them in Tuscaloosa. Newton, Manziel, and Burrow. Tebow won it in 2007 but that was Saban's first year when they were getting beat by ULM. I'm not counting that.

Todd4State
12-12-2021, 02:43 PM

Will won't win it even if he and the team earns it. My hope is he gets an invite.

Pancho
12-12-2021, 08:23 PM
At this point I'd say if he get invited then Leach has lead State to 9 or 10 reg season wins next year. I'll take that.

Tater
12-13-2021, 12:44 AM
In the Saban era the last three Heisman winners that were non-Alabama players beat Alabama. And I think all three beat them in Tuscaloosa. Newton, Manziel, and Burrow. Tebow won it in 2007 but that was Saban's first year when they were getting beat by ULM. I'm not counting that.

Assuming you left out an SEC qualifier here

Todd4State
12-13-2021, 01:46 AM
Assuming you left out an SEC qualifier here

Probably so. I just looked at Heisman winners and not candidates. I think Will could get an invite if we go 11-1 with a loss to Alabama and wouldn't win it.

SaintDawg
12-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Manziel was great that year

I'm not starting an argument. He did put up video game numbers. My point is that he was an arrogant ass that put money and party time before anything else and he got run out of the NFL for it. It tarnished the award, imo.

SteelCurtain74
12-13-2021, 08:12 AM
The same people who are mentioning him as a candidate for next year's Heisman are the same people that will pick State 6th or 7th in the West. Forgive me if I don't buy into the hype.

sleepy dawg
12-13-2021, 08:52 AM
Will should be considered the front runner. If Will has even a slightly better year, he will lead every qb in the country in just about every stat except rushing.

msstate7
12-13-2021, 09:10 AM
Will should be considered the front runner. If Will has even a slightly better year, he will lead every qb in the country in just about every stat except rushing.

Here's National passer rating rank for last few heisman qbs...
Young 5th
Burrow 1st
Murray 2nd
Mayfield 1st
Jackson - 25th (obviously he had a skill set other than passing)
Mariota 1st
Winston 1st

Rogers was 40th this year. He'll have to raise that number a good bit to get invited imo

Dak Holliday
12-13-2021, 09:33 AM
And have a statement win- Bama/UGA, while the team gets to atleast a NY6 with 9-10 wins.

RougeDawg
12-13-2021, 09:50 AM
Going to have to upgrade the talent at WR or have the current ones play above theirs. Looking at all of those QB?s except Jackson, they all had some elite WR talent. The teams around them elevated their play. That?s what makes it so hard for a non top 10-15 recruiting team to have a Heisman winner. The player has to have some other ungodly talent like Jackson or Manziel to overcome the other player talent elevation around the ones who usually win it.

That?s what makes it so difficult for a Will to win it. You take Pitts QB and stick him in Tuscaloosa and he wins it. Will probably too. It is what it is.

sleepy dawg
12-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Here's National passer rating rank for last few heisman qbs...
Young 5th
Burrow 1st
Murray 2nd
Mayfield 1st
Jackson - 25th (obviously he had a skill set other than passing)
Mariota 1st
Winston 1st

Rogers was 40th this year. He'll have to raise that number a good bit to get invited imo

That is weird. He leads the country in completions and completion %. He's also 3rd in passing yards and 9th in touchdown passes. He's also 3rd in total offense. I'm not sure where he ranked in interceptions, but I'd have to think he's close to the top in turnovers per attempt or turnovers per TD. Seeing him ranked 40 doesn't even make sense.

msstate7
12-13-2021, 10:37 AM
That is weird. He leads the country in completions and completion %. He's also 3rd in passing yards and 9th in touchdown passes. He's also 3rd in total offense. I'm not sure where he ranked in interceptions, but I'd have to think he's close to the top in turnovers per attempt or turnovers per TD. Seeing him ranked 40 doesn't even make sense.

Passer rating is weighted per pass.

Look at TDs...
Will has 35 in 631 att, so 5.7% of passes were TDs. The heisman winner, young had 43 TDs in 462 att, so 9.3% of passes were TDs.

Another stat is yds/att. In this one, he's 7.1 yds per, which is 81st nationally. Young was 9.4 per, which is 6th.

Where will shines in int and comp %. He has been outstanding in these areas.

RougeDawg
12-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Passer rating is weighted per pass.

Look at TDs...
Will has 35 in 631 att, so 5.7% of passes were TDs. The heisman winner, young had 43 TDs in 462 att, so 9.3% of passes were TDs.

Another stat is yds/att. In this one, he's 7.1 yds per, which is 81st nationally. Young was 9.4 per, which is 6th.

Where will shines in int and comp %. He has been outstanding in these areas.

The stats may not show this but it just seemed like Wills yards per attempt was at least 25-50% higher the 2nd half of the season. If he sustained a full 12 games like his last 6-7, I suspect the YPA average will be around where Young ended up. Just think about all of those heave and hope long passes that Bama throws is is able to complete because of their WR talent.