PDA

View Full Version : Matt not invited to NYC.

BeardoMSU
12-06-2021, 06:42 PM
Awe.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2021, 06:45 PM
That's an injustice IMO.

Yes I hate OM, but him not being invited isn't right. Expect the same happen to Rogers due to the lack of media coverage & market size of Mississippi.

StarkVegasSteve
12-06-2021, 06:45 PM
That is a bit shocking to be honest. Especially since they took the kid from Pitt over him. I may not like Corral, but the kid won 10 games in the SEC. IMO he deserved an invite. If we beat Memphis and Arky then Will is in that conversation and we would have raised 9 kinds of hell had he not been invited with his numbers.

msstate7
12-06-2021, 07:04 PM
That's an injustice IMO.

Yes I hate OM, but him not being invited isn't right. Expect the same happen to Rogers due to the lack of media coverage & market size of Mississippi.

His injury and his receivers injuries devestated his shot.

parabrave
12-06-2021, 07:04 PM
I hate that school but the kid deserved it. Maybe Archie didn't want he and Eli overshadowed and he made some calls.

KOdawg1
12-06-2021, 07:05 PM
He wasn't quite the same after he injured his ankle. They had to rely more on their RBs and he didn't really have any other games where he lit teams up through the air.

Still, he's a tremendous talent at QB, and I am more than glad to see him go.

LC Dawg
12-06-2021, 07:26 PM
This goes back to my comments on another thread about promotion and marketing. Even though Corral isn't invited he (and Ole Miss) was talked about every week when the Heisman was discussed because he was promoted up front as a pre season candidate. He stayed in the discussion even after his numbers fell off - because he was already in the conversation and because Ole Miss was winning.
Mississippi State needs to push hard for Rogers to be in the pre season Heisman talk and not worry about how it will look if he or the team doesn't play well.
And for the record I think Corral is getting screwed by not being invited to NY.

CadaverDawg
12-06-2021, 07:46 PM
Haha

StarkVegasSteve
12-06-2021, 07:49 PM
This goes back to my comments on another thread about promotion and marketing. Even though Corral isn't invited he (and Ole Miss) was talked about every week when the Heisman was discussed because he was promoted up front as a pre season candidate. He stayed in the discussion even after his numbers fell off - because he was already in the conversation and because Ole Miss was winning.
Mississippi State needs to push hard for Rogers to be in the pre season Heisman talk and not worry about how it will look if he or the team doesn't play well.
And for the record I think Corral is getting screwed by not being invited to NY.

You have WAY too much faith in what is left of the marketing department that was built up under Byrne and Stricklin. It is actually impressive how fast Cohen has torpedoed that department. Will could throw for 50 TDs and 2 INTs next year but we will still be pimping a Tanner Allen HR two years after the fact. He is very good when it comes to all things baseball. He is equally as bad when it comes to every other sport on campus.

R2Dawg
12-06-2021, 07:53 PM
That is a bit shocking to be honest. Especially since they took the kid from Pitt over him. I may not like Corral, but the kid won 10 games in the SEC. IMO he deserved an invite. If we beat Memphis and Arky then Will is in that conversation and we would have raised 9 kinds of hell had he not been invited with his numbers.

Not really surprising and there are some great players out there. This with no one from UGA. The kid from Pitt is special.

Dak not going in 14 was BS way more than Coral not going this year.

Activated Alpha
12-06-2021, 07:59 PM
3 QBs and a DE. Michigan?s Hutchison has been putting up insane defensive numbers just like Will Anderson did from bama. However we all know the REC is going to put in the work at the end of the year and give it to B Young.

However I do remember seeing ESPN people getting all hot and fuzzy over pre heisman talk with Costello after the LSU game. That lasted all but a hot second.

msstate7
12-06-2021, 08:00 PM
Not really surprising and there are some great players out there. This with no one from UGA. The kid from Pitt is special.

Neither beat Alabama. You wanna get to NYC from the sec west, you either play for bama or beat bama

chef dixon
12-06-2021, 08:02 PM
It was clear he wasn't going the last 3rd of the season. He didn't put up the numbers to hold serve despite still playing well. Similar to Dak running out of steam in 2014

R2Dawg
12-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Neither beat Alabama. You wanna get to NYC from the sec west, you either play for bama or beat bama

Somewhat agree. The heisman is a joke anyway, has been since 1997 at least when Manning didn't win it. All it is is an ESPN hype event for their favorite teams.

LC Dawg
12-06-2021, 08:14 PM
It's hard to justify Stroud over Corral imo but I'd give it to Will Anderson if I was voting.

msstate7
12-06-2021, 08:19 PM
It's hard to justify Stroud over Corral imo but I'd give it to Will Anderson if I was voting.

Stroud is very good.
4th in nation in passing yds
6th in comp %
3rd in yds/att
5th in passing TDs
2nd in passer rating
1st in QBR

BeardoMSU
12-06-2021, 08:30 PM
That's an injustice IMO.

Dak had
better stats in 2014 and wasn't invited either. Not having a "Heisman moment" is what keeps guys like these from getting invited.

lastmajordog
12-06-2021, 08:34 PM
Dak had
better stats in 2014 and wasn't invited either. Not having a "Heisman moment" is what keeps guys like these from getting invited.
ESPECIALLY when you **** the bed against Bama (Thanks conservative Dan) and om (Thanks Dan for not having a DC for whatever reason)....!

confucius say
12-06-2021, 08:34 PM
That's an injustice IMO.

Look at his numbers. Who would you put him over?

BeardoMSU
12-06-2021, 08:36 PM
Look at his numbers. Who would you put him over?

Exactly. This is Gun out "Gunning" himself.

LC Dawg
12-06-2021, 08:51 PM
Stroud is very good.
6th in comp %
3rd in yds/att
5th in passing TDs
2nd in passer rating
1st in QBR

Now do total yards.
And please don't make me defend Corral any further 😜.
ETA - and Stroud didn't have a Heisman moment either. He was the first OSU qb to lose to MI since Obama was in office. First term Obama.

msstate7
12-06-2021, 08:54 PM
Now do total yards.
And please don't make me defend Corral any further 😜.

8th nationally.

Oh, and he only played 11 games

Homedawg
12-06-2021, 09:04 PM
Dak had

Playing for state and ole miss is what keeps them from being invited

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-06-2021, 09:05 PM
Uh oh, Bo Bounds is going to be upset. Wrong again lol

Homedawg
12-06-2021, 09:05 PM
ESPECIALLY when you **** the bed against Bama (Thanks conservative Dan) and om (Thanks Dan for not having a DC for whatever reason)....!

Dak is the one who shit the bed against bama. Dan didn't throw the picks inside the red zone.

CadaverDawg
12-06-2021, 09:08 PM
https://c.tenor.com/kzFAI99HveEAAAAM/john-bender-funny.gif

Jarius
12-06-2021, 09:09 PM
I can’t believe people actually thought he was going to get invited to the Heisman ceremony. What in the actual hell did you watch the second half of the year? Will Anderson is the one who got robbed. Corral was meh for half a season.

LC Dawg
12-06-2021, 09:10 PM
8th nationally.

Oh, and he only played 11 games

So total less than Corral and per game a little more. In a weaker league.
I'm not gonna defend Corral anymore and since I'm not a sports journalist and I didn't win the Heisman during my seven years of college I don't have a vote.

LC Dawg
12-06-2021, 09:17 PM
And it doesn't really seem to have affected the Rebel faithful that much. They said they wouldn't mind if a mercenary from Cali won the Heisman but their main goal was to get the Sugar and bring back glory to Dixie.*

Todd4State
12-06-2021, 09:48 PM
Uh oh, Bo Bounds is going to be upset. Wrong again lol

Apparently Heisman voters aren't that impressed with swing passes off of orbit motion like Bo. LOL.

SailingDawg
12-06-2021, 10:03 PM

Agreed

CarolinaDawgs
12-07-2021, 08:55 AM

He won 6 games in the SEC

OLJWales
12-07-2021, 09:07 AM
Playing for state and ole miss is what keeps them from being invited

Partially true. Missing context. Wayne Gretzky's on the selection committee.

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Stroud is very good.
6th in comp %
3rd in yds/att
5th in passing TDs
2nd in passer rating
1st in QBR

I don't get why anyone is pumping Corral at this point - he finished outside the top 15 nationally in every passing category. He was no better than 3rd in any passing stat in the SEC. The only stat he led the SEC in was rushing TD's by a QB.
His stats weren't much better than Jordan Ta'mu in 2018 - did anyone think HE should have gone to NYC?

Yes - Corral made that team go the first half of the season. Yes, they won 10 games. But if Dak couldn't get there in '14 or '15 and Chad Kelly wasn't good enough in '15 (check his stats, they were just as good or better than Corral for a 9 win team)
there was no chance for Matt after about week 5.

TheLostDawg
12-07-2021, 09:24 AM
I don't get why anyone is pumping Corral at this point - he finished outside the top 15 nationally in every passing category. He was no better than 3rd in any passing stat in the SEC. The only stat he led the SEC in was rushing TD's by a QB.
His stats weren't much better than Jordan Ta'mu in 2018 - did anyone think HE should have gone to NYC?

Yes - Corral made that team go the first half of the season. Yes, they won 10 games. But if Dak couldn't get there in '14 or '15 and Chad Kelly wasn't good enough in '15 (check his stats, they were just as good or better than Corral for a 9 win team)

Agree. It's just ole Miss hype around the state that they're buying into.
Also agree that if they based it on first season stats then yeah, he probably should go. However it's based on a full seasons work.

Commercecomet24
12-07-2021, 12:50 PM
Corral don't have the numbers or wins the others have

Commercecomet24
12-07-2021, 12:55 PM

Well said

OLJWales
12-07-2021, 01:00 PM
In the end he got what he earned. Conversation but less consideration.

Hot Rock
12-07-2021, 04:01 PM
Matt Corral 3339 yards passing 597 rushing 20 passing TD's and 11 rushing TD's That is very good but not Heisman worthy. He had a tough stretch of games.

There are 14 guys with more passing yards. 34 with more passing TD's and a dozen have more passing TD's than he has total TD's. There were 18 QB's that were responsible for more points that Corral, including our own Will Rogers.

Why exactly is he supposed to be in NY other than hype train and big arm ability?

Lord McBuckethead
12-07-2021, 04:11 PM
Bet he shows up anyway.

EdwardDrayton
12-07-2021, 05:21 PM
Awwwww. Mr DJ, spin up some Fats if you please.

All together now, ……. ain?t that a .....

OLJWales
12-07-2021, 07:16 PM
Bet he shows up anyway.

BOOM! LMAO. Wouldn't be shocking knowing Ole miss and their thug.

lastmajordog
12-07-2021, 08:31 PM
Dak is the one who shit the bed against bama. Dan didn't throw the picks inside the red zone.

Guess you?re right, most all acknowledged Dan FROZE and went overly conservative trying to overpower a "Run proof" Bama defense that year in the first half......just must be me and my failing memory......interceptions hurt, but Dan's tight butt lost that game....and then let he ran off the def cord.........and we lost to a one legged om qb that prob cost the DOGS a chance at the CFBP ......but again it must be me and my failing memory......

lastmajordog
12-08-2021, 08:38 PM
Dan is also the one that put the DOGS behind the 8 ball by being so F****** conservative by trying to run against a Bama Def that was looking for the run esp in the first half. Also apparently ran off the def cord that allowed a one legged om qb beat the DOGS while still having a chance for the CFB championship. Dan did so much good but he so screwed up big moments.....there is no argument against these facts....

BeardoMSU
12-08-2021, 08:45 PM
Dan is also the one that put the DOGS behind the 8 ball by being so F****** conservative by trying to run against a Bama Def that was looking for the run esp in the first half. Also apparently ran off the def cord that allowed a one legged om qb beat the DOGS while still having a chance for the CFB championship. Dan did so much good but he so screwed up big moments.....there is no argument against these facts....

/thread