PDA

View Full Version : Texas O-Lineman set to make 150K/year

dawgman15
12-06-2021, 05:24 PM
https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1467934911243894791

HoopsDawg
12-06-2021, 05:30 PM
Wow. Going to be hard to compete. I guess it already is though.

confucius say
12-06-2021, 05:39 PM
Better get right or get left.

msstate7
12-06-2021, 05:53 PM
When texas and aTm figure out how to use their money, they're gonna be a handful

KOdawg1
12-06-2021, 06:13 PM
I love MSU with all my heart, but if I'm an offensive lineman and I have offers from MSU and Texas....

I'm going with the 50k. Sorry, not sorry.

We better get with the program.

StarkVegasSteve
12-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Not to worry guys, we have the Legacy Group who has done??oh yea that?s right absolutely nothing. The only thing they will ever help us with is MAYBE baseball. Which as much as I hate to admit it, that is probably exactly how Cohen wants it.

Maverick91
12-06-2021, 07:32 PM
I struggle with this NIL thing so much. These kids are getting a free 100k plus education with room and board, and most meals taken care of as well. Like seriously is that not enough?

OLJWales
12-06-2021, 07:37 PM
Texas had 1 OL Drafted in the last 10 years. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. What a pile of trash program. Resources squandered for so long.

LC Dawg
12-06-2021, 07:37 PM
We weren't competing with the Texas's of college football on the under the table money and we won't compete with them on the over the table money. We just need to keep up over the table with those we were keeping up with under the table.

Turfdawg67
12-06-2021, 07:55 PM
We weren't competing with the Texas's of college football on the under the table money and we won't compete with them on the over the table money. We just need to keep up over the table with those we were keeping up with under the table.

Problem is... there will still be money under the table as well as the over the table money of old. We're 17'd.

R2Dawg
12-06-2021, 07:56 PM
When texas and aTm figure out how to use their money, they're gonna be a handful

In the world of big money, you are right. They are not going to keep being stupid. Bama about to have some competition.

R2Dawg
12-06-2021, 07:58 PM
I struggle with this NIL thing so much. These kids are getting a free 100k plus education with room and board, and most meals taken care of as well. Like seriously is that not enough?

Totally agree. What our world needs more of is more entitled people being entitled some more. It will be the end of a great nation. Already is the end of college sports.

BayouDawg
12-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Totally agree. What our world needs more of is more entitled people being entitled some more. It will be the end of a great nation. Already is the end of college sports.

Not to mention they want all the money and benefits of being a professional without having to deal with the responsibilities of the real world. They want the money but still want to be treated as an amateur.

Avelso
12-06-2021, 08:19 PM
In the last 100 years name 1 player that has chosen State over TX. Nothings changing.

Maverick91
12-06-2021, 08:35 PM

It’s just sad! I get your family might be in a bad spot, a lot of families are. But the difference is you are getting a free education, and those other kids aren’t. So you both get out with a degree to help your family except the regular student has 10s of thousands in student loan debt.

Lance Harbor
12-06-2021, 08:40 PM
Marvin Byrdsong.

https://247sports.com/player/marvin-byrdsong-26800/

In the last 100 years name 1 player that has chosen State over TX. Nothings changing.

Dawgface
12-06-2021, 09:07 PM
College pro football is here to stay. I guess many have been paid one way or the other over the years but its going to really explode over the next few years. A big turnoff for me.

Maroonthirteen
12-06-2021, 09:32 PM
"empowering them to use their NIL rights to support their favorite charities." So, I am reading this to say that the player doesn't keep the money. They use the money to serve or give to their favorite charity.

However, to the larger point. My hope is these individuals paying out these NIL deals, realize there isn't much if any return on their investment. Return for them as a business and no return in the wins/loss department for their school.

Until Texas starts beating out OhSt and Bama for linemen, the level of play will remain the same.

Avelso
12-06-2021, 09:44 PM
Name a second player TX offered that didn?t have a brother on our team?.

Nice find Lance Harbor. Hats off.

Bdawg
12-06-2021, 11:16 PM

I worry this is going cause me watch college football about like I watch pro ball now(not very much).

Maverick91
12-06-2021, 11:20 PM
I worry this is going cause me watch college football about like I watch pro ball now(not very much).

Yeah! Which sucks, college football is the last bastion of hope for purity in sports.

Johnny99
12-06-2021, 11:35 PM
I?m pretty sure that Greg Eiland had an offer from Texas....

Apoplectic
12-06-2021, 11:51 PM

The tipping point will be when the club seats are full of old fat guys in oversized jerseys with a 32 oz beer in one hand taking a swing at another fat guy in a jersey

KentuckyDawg13
12-08-2021, 08:49 AM
Sawyer Robertson

Leroy Jenkins
12-08-2021, 08:50 AM

Well, without looking, last year there were two, Knox and Robertson.

Joebob
12-08-2021, 02:54 PM
I love MSU with all my heart, but if I'm an offensive lineman and I have offers from MSU and Texas....

I'm going with the 50k. Sorry, not sorry.

We better get with the program.

One thing that could factor in to it though is which program is more likely to develop a kid into an NFL draft pick. Some kids will take the up front money, some will look at what's best in the long run. Still, we need to try to be competitive with the NIL money.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2021, 02:55 PM

I don't think it changes things that much. They will get the same guys they would get anyways. They are just bidding between themselves as to which TX school they go to. All those TX schools have money. It will get deluded.

IMissJack
12-08-2021, 05:59 PM
A kid my son played pee wee football with was a true FR lineman for UT this year. I have no idea if he red shirted or not.

MSU is going to have to get organized around NIL, and if JC can?t do it we are going to have to find someone to bring in to organize it for him.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2021, 06:01 PM

What if I said your salary was too high, and some lower amount was "enough" ?

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-08-2021, 08:15 PM
You people sound like the leftists who say "Nobody should have millions of dollars while I suffer to make a house payment!"

Your perspective is one of "What's the lowest amount we can say is fair, that's all you get" instead of the FREEDOM oriented view, which is "Everyone should be allowed to obtain their free market worth"

NIl will leave State in the dust. I guarantee that in 5 years Texas and A&M will each be spending $10M just on the players. But who the hell are you to tell a 18-23 year old they aren't allowed to make money? That they should be happy with a scholarship, because other students don't even get that?

You'd be singing a different tune if someone came to you and said you "Didn't need that retirement account" because many other people your age have no savings. Or if you were told you couldn't buy a nice truck because your old truck is "enough" in their mind. Or how about if the Gov't told you that you couldn't make your current salary, because other people in your office make less and it's not "fair" for you to have more than them?

College football is dead, this is the NFL lite. Has been for a while, just under the table so we could pretend the problem wasn't as big as it was. Quit contradicting your own morals to try to save it. It's hypocritical, wrong, and pathetic. Have a spine, follow your morals, and let the chips fall where they may

OLJWales
12-08-2021, 08:42 PM
I look forward to the NLI Salary Cap followed by a players strike.

Extendedcab
12-08-2021, 10:03 PM
I look forward to amateur athletics!!!

somebodyshotmypaw
12-08-2021, 11:03 PM

Collins Wohner

The Federalist Engineer
12-09-2021, 07:44 AM

This is just the start. 150K is the opening bid. Once other schools start to bid, the price will go up from there. This sets the price for the 3 and 4 Star Recruits that Texas already gets.

Dawgface
12-09-2021, 08:57 AM
I look forward to the NLI Salary Cap followed by a players strike.

I wonder how the NFL gets away with a cap? Seems like the Supreme Court would frown on it. I'm like another poster tho.....my level of interest in college sports is quickly declining because of this crap.

Johnson85
12-09-2021, 09:18 AM
Not to mention they want all the money and benefits of being a professional without having to deal with the responsibilities of the real world. They want the money but still want to be treated as an amateur.

They just want the same thing everybody else wants, which is as much money as they can command in the marketplace. The only problem with college sports is that athletes are being overpaid for minor league professional athletes (which is what they are) because the law makes it difficult for schools to capture the benefits that their namebrand generates.

Johnson85
12-09-2021, 09:21 AM
I wonder how the NFL gets away with a cap? Seems like the Supreme Court would frown on it. I'm like another poster tho.....my level of interest in college sports is quickly declining because of this crap.

They get away with it because they have a collective bargaining agreement with a union. A union would look a lot different for players that were in theory only going to be there for 5 years. It may be doable, but it will be different.

I think it would be good if the P5 schools could convince players to unionize. Maybe give them six years of eligibility, require that players either be passing 24 hours a year or get a degree to stay eligible, and then set up a soft cap with a luxury tax that redistributes money either within the P5 schools or within each conference. Redistributing within the conference would allow us to pay more compared to other P5 programs outside of the SEC, but probably make it harder to compete within the SEC.

Fader21
12-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Denico Autry signed with us over Texas and others ..... https://hailstate.com/sports/football/roster/denico-autry/2389

dawgman15
12-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Kylin Hill was pursued by Texas

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2021, 11:26 AM
No it is not enough. It all started when you locked these kids down, without the possibility to move freely from university to university. Then, sports became a gigantic business. Coaches salaries through the roof. Everyone making money, except the labor. Then they wouldn't allow people like Johnny Football sign autographs for money. Then they cracked down on as much as they could.

Any player should be able to get anything they can actually get within the law for payment. Some say they should do away with scholarships. Well, that would put MSU at an even bigger disadvantage. It is almost like College football players are demanding the same negotiating and earning potential rights as any other person on this planet for their efforts. Sounds reasonable to me.

There is only one option in my opinion. You either excel at this new system and get all the players guaranteed NIL money, or you will watch your entire athletic department get smoked. It is only a matter of time until Alabama guarantees so much money, they don't even have to put players on scholarship. Basically giving them 120 spots instead of 85. Just wait. We either start excelling at this new potential pathway, or we get trampled.

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2021, 11:26 AM
At that time, TX wasn't guaranteeing him a scholly and 150k per year.

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2021, 11:27 AM
They get away with it because they have a collective bargaining agreement with a union. A union would look a lot different for players that were in theory only going to be there for 5 years. It may be doable, but it will be different.

I think it would be good if the P5 schools could convince players to unionize. Maybe give them six years of eligibility, require that players either be passing 24 hours a year or get a degree to stay eligible, and then set up a soft cap with a luxury tax that redistributes money either within the P5 schools or within each conference. Redistributing within the conference would allow us to pay more compared to other P5 programs outside of the SEC, but probably make it harder to compete within the SEC.

Why would Bama, TX, aTm or GA agree to this?

OLJWales
12-09-2021, 01:35 PM

Good judicial question, butt apparently sports leagues are allowed to do so. NCAA is next once the bitchin starts. We need to roll with the punches and adapt or throw in the towel.

Still can't quit thinkin how some players cashing while others ain't will affect the locker room and the hunger for the NFL. Coddled and envious players mixed in could be bad.

confucius say
12-09-2021, 02:28 PM
No it is not enough. It all started when you locked these kids down, without the possibility to move freely from university to university. Then, sports became a gigantic business. Coaches salaries through the roof. Everyone making money, except the labor. Then they wouldn't allow people like Johnny Football sign autographs for money. Then they cracked down on as much as they could.

Any player should be able to get anything they can actually get within the law for payment. Some say they should do away with scholarships. Well, that would put MSU at an even bigger disadvantage. It is almost like College football players are demanding the same negotiating and earning potential rights as any other person on this planet for their efforts. Sounds reasonable to me.

There is only one option in my opinion. You either excel at this new system and get all the players guaranteed NIL money, or you will watch your entire athletic department get smoked. It is only a matter of time until Alabama guarantees so much money, they don't even have to put players on scholarship. Basically giving them 120 spots instead of 85. Just wait. We either start excelling at this new potential pathway, or we get trampled.

Other people on this planet have to pay rent, for food, healthcare, clothes, and taxes. The last thing 95% of college athletes want is to be treated "as any other person this planet" Bc they are not worth the 100k a year they receive in all the things I just listed. And I was one of the 95%.

confucius say
12-09-2021, 02:28 PM

It wouldn't be their decision.

confucius say
12-09-2021, 02:29 PM

Bc they have a CBA. College will too soon.

Johnson85
12-09-2021, 03:00 PM

Because NCAA football is currently an arms race (or tournament structure, whichever you're more comfortable with) where the participants will largely be losers. By agreeing to a luxury tax, they would still keep their advantage over other schools, but there would also be something that keeps all the value that is generated by the university brand from being captured by minor league athletes. Other minor league athletes get paid basically nothing outside of what they get in exchange for tying future pro services to a particular major league franchise. There's really no reason that college football or basketball players should make 5 or 10 or 20 times the amount of other minor league athletes.

Quaoarsking
12-09-2021, 09:08 PM

Why do the Cowboys and NY/LA teams agree to NFL rules that help the small market teams at their expense?

Quaoarsking
12-09-2021, 09:09 PM

This sounds good. I'm all for players getting whatever the market wants to give them, but it is much better for the game to spread that talent out amongst all of the major conference teams. Keeping all schools within an attainable set budget is a great way to do that.

I also think the conference networks should start paying players en masse, and do so in a way that incentivizes talent to spread out instead of concentrate.

OLJWales
12-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Why do the Cowboys and NY/LA teams agree to NFL rules that help the small market teams at their expense?

Survival of the enterprise.

Quaoarsking
12-09-2021, 09:14 PM
Survival of the enterprise.

Bingo.

IMissJack
12-09-2021, 10:55 PM

If they kill the golden goose, no one gets paid.

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2021, 08:41 AM
If they kill the golden goose, no one gets paid.

Yep.

I think that after a couple of years the "newness" will wear off and NIL is going to do what it was designed to do - the SEC and other leagues will establish better rule making allow players to benefit from autograph sessions, endorsements with local restaurants and car dealers, and low dollar benefits and see that the playing field becomes more level by restricting deals like Texas'. I wouldn't be surprised if they force any cash deals to be put into a pool to benefit the whole team not just singular position units or players.
Each school will have an un-official NIL "broker" or 2, and instead of hearing whats her name say "Downtown Louisville" on the jumbo tron, it will be Will Rogers and Jaden Walley, and the program you buy will have players in all the ads.

Bamboo
12-10-2021, 11:40 PM
https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1467934911243894791

Start new leagues for schools who want p2p players. TX, AL, A&M would leave the SEC and play in the new semipro college league. Other non sec who like the pay to play model will do the same. This would keep the relative purity of college athletes in effect and operate the same way as it always has. The P2P leagues wouldn't be subject to the "you only won because you paid players " demonization because they partnered with other teams that share the same interests. Once you are in the "premium" league you don't get back for 8 years and only after a vote of conference members. Same for other sports. State and Vandy and LSU for baseball maybe OM. Auburn, Ark, mO for basketball, etc...