PDA

View Full Version : IYOK, what's the story on Cam East decommitting?

HoopsDawg
12-04-2021, 01:25 PM
nm

parabrave
12-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Aubbie called his dad and told him that he could build a new church.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2021, 01:34 PM
He wanted to wait & sign in February. Likely to continue to enjoy the recruiting process. The staff wanted him to sign in December. Gave him a you're either in or you're out & well we see he's uncommitted now.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2021, 01:39 PM
He wanted to wait & sign in February. Likely to continue to enjoy the recruiting process. The staff wanted him to sign in December. Gave him a you're either in or you're out & well we see he's uncommitted now.

Yikes. Not sure about that strategy.

Homedawg
12-04-2021, 01:42 PM

Me either... but that's their job....

Leeshouldveflanked
12-04-2021, 01:44 PM
If a player is committed and doesnt sign in December he is not committed.

ZedFedder
12-04-2021, 01:50 PM

Truth

maroonmania
12-04-2021, 02:33 PM

True, but no real reason to force the issue unless you have somebody else as good ready to sign in his place in December.

Homedawg
12-04-2021, 02:57 PM
True, but no real reason to force the issue unless you have somebody else as good ready to sign in his place in December.
This^

msstate7
12-04-2021, 02:58 PM

Not sure we the type of program to make these type of demands, but at least you have time to replace a kid rather than lose them at the end

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2021, 03:01 PM
I don't really agree but they've been pretty consistent on this method. Did the same last year.

SilentSteel16
12-04-2021, 03:05 PM
I have no say in the matter, but how are you to move forward as a program with a cloud of indecision hanging over your head. Early signing period is there for a reason, it lets you know what you have and what you need. I am all for them pushing their commits to early signing. If you don’t sign in December but have been committed prior, we’re you really committed in the first place? You treat it like you are in or not, if not, good luck to you and we will fill your spot with someone who is. Builds your team and helps you truly plan for the season because you know what you have.

KOdawg1
12-04-2021, 03:10 PM
I'm fine with the "shit or get off the pot" strategy as long as you replace him with someone of equal talent.

East was pretty good though, so that won't be easy.

parabrave
12-04-2021, 03:35 PM
I have no say in the matter, but how are you to move forward as a program with a cloud of indecision hanging over your head. Early signing period is there for a reason, it lets you know what you have and what you need. I am all for them pushing their commits to early signing. If you don’t sign in December but have been committed prior, we’re you really committed in the first place? You treat it like you are in or not, if not, good luck to you and we will fill your spot with someone who is. Builds your team and helps you truly plan for the season because you know what you have.

This.

Percho
12-04-2021, 03:37 PM

I would say it depends upon how you feel about others you are recruiting. If [B]you[B] feel ok then you say bye.

You being the one being paid 5 mil.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-04-2021, 03:43 PM
I don't really agree but they've been pretty consistent on this method. Did the same last year.

Robbie Faulk has been hinting at this for a while. Expected to sign with ole miss now?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2021, 03:53 PM
Robbie Faulk has been hinting at this for a while. Expected to sign with ole miss now?

He's not signing in the early period. I expect his recruitment blows up after the early signing period. OL still available after the ESP are like gold. He'll have plenty options.

Bdawg
12-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Hate to lose out on any good OL but did we really have him if he won't sign. Leach seems like a no BS kind of guy so if you commit he expects you to sign. And I can understand that. He may treat the situation a little different if he hadn't committed but wanted to wait till Feb. When East did what he did( commit but not sign) that just sounds like you are keeping us as a fallback plan while really looking for a " better option" in his opinion. I don't think I would put up with that either. I could respect him more if just never committed and explored all options and chose a school in Feb.

HaggardDawg
12-04-2021, 04:15 PM
It is much better strategy to sign a slightly less talented player in December then sign no player for that position in February because one of our ?commits? wanted to enjoy the process. I like this policy.

Vandownbytheriver
12-04-2021, 04:27 PM
I don't understand why anyone would want to be at the whims of a high school kid. If he doesn't want to sign now, then tell him we are going to have to look elsewhere. The egos on the kids now are horrible. Way too many people on social media flaming those egos these days.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2021, 04:29 PM
It is much better strategy to sign a slightly less talented player in December then sign no player for that position in February because one of our ?commits? wanted to enjoy the process. I like this policy.

I think you can save a couple of spots for guys like East. If they end up not signing, you still have the portal.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2021, 04:31 PM
I don't understand why anyone would want to be at the whims of a high school kid.

I mean, welcome to big boy recruiting. I'm glad you weren't in charge of signing Chris Jones.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2021, 04:32 PM
. And I can understand that. He may treat the situation a little different if he hadn't committed but wanted to wait till Feb. When East did what he did( commit but not sign) that just sounds like you are keeping us as a fallback plan while really looking for a " better option" in his opinion. I don't think I would put up with that either. I could respect him more if just never committed and explored all options and chose a school in Feb.

Strange to think we might have had a better chance to sign him if he hadn't committed.

msstate7
12-04-2021, 04:32 PM
I mean, welcome to big boy recruiting. I'm glad you weren't in charge of signing Chris Jones.

That's when I quit living anf breathing recruiting. I probably lost 3 years off my life stressing Jones

Vandownbytheriver
12-04-2021, 04:48 PM

I was writing for recruiting websites then. That's part of the reason I don't do it any longer. They are unbeatable.

Maroonthirteen
12-04-2021, 05:05 PM
How many can State sign this year? 25, I assume. We have 15 commits right now per 247. So if Leach's policy is he only signs commits, then he is going to be short a number of guys in EP.

Hopefully State is allowing the kid to look around and Leach and company will continue to put the full court press on him. Because a 6-7 OT aren't easy to find.

Catfish
12-04-2021, 05:24 PM
How many can State sign this year? 25, I assume. We have 15 commits right now per 247. So if Leach's policy is he only signs commits, then he is going to be short a number of guys in EP.

Hopefully State is allowing the kid to look around and Leach and company will continue to put the full court press on him. Because a 6-7 OT aren't easy to find.

Gonna hit the transfer portal too.

Bothrops
12-04-2021, 05:26 PM
We aren't gonna replace East with a real high school LT prospect. That was just a loss. I don't blame Leach though, we weren't getting East either way.

Dawgology
12-04-2021, 05:40 PM
I can answer this. It’s clear we were being kept warm as a fall back plan for Cam (and strong hints he was going to be a flipmas guy) once it was clear he was going to string us along our program said we are going to open up your spot. I’m fine with that. Good luck to him.

Bdawg
12-04-2021, 05:52 PM
Strange to think we might have had a better chance to sign him if he hadn't committed.

Well he decided to play the recruiting game and that just doesn't seem to sit well with Leach. I think Leach would have more respect for the player if he just didn't commit say he was very interested and go from there. I believe commitment to Leach and these kids may have a little different meaning(and me for that matter). I certainly don't believe Leach likes being a placeholder for a "committed" player only to get possibly spurned if a better "opportunity" comes along.

Bdawg
12-04-2021, 05:58 PM
I can answer this. It’s clear we were being kept warm as a fall back plan for Cam (and strong hints he was going to be a flipmas guy) once it was clear he was going to string us along our program said we are going to open up your spot. I’m fine with that. Good luck to him.

If he signs with OM in Dec we will definitely know the truth. Seems Leach knows when to cut bait and say screw it to these recruiting shenanigans.

Homedawg
12-04-2021, 06:00 PM
Gonna hit the transfer portal too.

We gonna have a good many hit the portal too.

bulldogcountry1
12-04-2021, 06:10 PM
I?d be curious to see the statistics on whether early signees are more likely to stay with a program longer. The early signing period is too young to know that know, though.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2021, 06:16 PM
Well he decided to play the recruiting game and that just doesn't seem to sit well with Leach. I think Leach would have more respect for the player if he just didn't commit say he was very interested and go from there. I believe commitment to Leach and these kids may have a little different meaning(and me for that matter). I certainly don't believe Leach likes being a placeholder for a "committed" player only to get possibly spurned if a better "opportunity" comes along.

Let's not play the our staff know the meaning of commitment game. ESP when we've dropped 4-5 kids just this cycle who have been loyal to MSU & played no games.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2021, 06:16 PM
If he signs with OM in Dec we will definitely know the truth. Seems Leach knows when to cut bait and say screw it to these recruiting shenanigans.

He's not signing in December

Percho
12-04-2021, 06:43 PM
Will we send him papers in Dec and take his sig if he signs?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Will we send him papers in Dec and take his sig if he signs?

For better or worse we've moved on

DLGDawg
12-04-2021, 07:13 PM

Thank you Dawgology. That's exactly what I was going to say. And I think what you said can be applied to several situations. Coaches know who's playing "games" and who's not.

Catfish
12-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Thank you Dawgology. That's exactly what I was going to say. And I think what you said can be applied to several situations. Coaches know who's playing "games" and who's not.

And Leach isn't one to play games with!

Bdawg
12-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Let's not play the our staff know the meaning of commitment game. ESP when we've dropped 4-5 kids just this cycle who have been loyal to MSU & played no games.

Those guys have zero to do with what we are talking about. Those guys may have wanted to come to State but either their SR film didn't stack up and proved to not be SEC material. I don't know every in and out of each one there situation, but if guys are asked to moved on there is a reason for it. Cam East is totally different. He's keeping us as a backup now, and maybe others are not good enough. Don't know why you even bring them up.

Edit: I do realize what you saying now. But if we are upfront with those guys and tell them they have regressed and went backwards or they didn't improve enough over there senior year, there is no need than them coming here and sitting the bench and transferring later because they can't get on the field.

Dawgology
12-04-2021, 07:46 PM

There’s no doubt about it that’s the name of the game but this close to early signing period and someone has consistently acted shady it’s prudent to cut them loose. Especially when all signs point to a set up. I’m fine with not playing games like that because state is always left looking like the jilted lover. If you are clearly in the game then yeah keep playing to have them sign but when all signs point to something else it’s best for state to move on.

Todd4State
12-05-2021, 12:10 AM

Chris Jones was a different era before the early NSD. I would imagine that he would have signed early because if I remember correctly he blew up at the Under Armour All-Star Game in January.

Todd4State
12-05-2021, 12:13 AM
And Leach isn't one to play games with!

I think our staff has a pretty good idea of who is and isn't playing games.

Dan and Joe probably would have jumped right after Bryson Hurst after he de-committed.

Maroonthirteen
12-05-2021, 08:27 AM
The reason State landed Jones is because he had a close personal relationship with his high school coach. His high school is a State fan.

If it wasn't for that relationship.... well good thing there was that relationship.

Tbonewannabe
12-05-2021, 10:29 AM

Is this one of those Ole Miss games where they try to get us not to recruit another Oline and then he flips at the last minute? Dan fell for it every year and we would end up signing someone that wasn't good enough to play at USM.

DCdawg
12-05-2021, 10:46 AM
Is this one of those Ole Miss games where they try to get us not to recruit another Oline and then he flips at the last minute? Dan fell for it every year and we would end up signing someone that wasn't good enough to play at USM.

Sometimes you get lucky and sign Elgton Jenkins, though that's the exception.