spbdawg
11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
#

CadaverDawg
11-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Interesting. I'm in.

starkvegasdawg
11-19-2013, 02:08 PM
How many more games would this get Redmond suspended since you used the phrase "hired gun"?

Would this force Bracky into proposing a rule outlawing this to the NCAA?

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Since it's obvious that we have not developed FG Kickers well in the past two/three years,

Good idea.

According to my research done a few weeks ago though, our in ability to develop or recruit kickers goes back at least 10 years.

FISHDAWG
11-19-2013, 02:16 PM
I like it ... please forward to Dan

sleepy dawg
11-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Sign him up. Heck, I'd take someone who could just consistently make 30 yarders.

spbdawg
11-19-2013, 07:38 PM
#

Crystal Balls
11-19-2013, 08:05 PM
That's not a bad idea at all. Dan are you reading?

spbdawg
11-20-2013, 03:44 PM
#

maroonmania
11-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Good idea.

According to my research done a few weeks ago though, our in ability to develop or recruit kickers goes back at least 10 years.

Well hopefully these guys would not have to be developed and could come into the program ready to kick. All we would have to do is keep our coaching staff away from them.

RiverCityDawg
11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
You don't have to sit out a year if you are transferring to a lower level 4 year school, but pretty sure you have to sit a year if you are transferring up from one. When I was at State a few years ago one of my roommates came from a D2 school and he had to sit out his first year.

If I'm mistaken, I'm all about your idea... Which makes me think its been thought of before and a rule put in place to prevent "poaching".

AROB44
11-20-2013, 04:57 PM
You don't have to sit out a year if you are transferring to a lower level 4 year school, but pretty sure you have to sit a year if you are transferring up from one. When I was at State a few years ago one of my roommates came from a D2 school and he had to sit out his first year.

If I'm mistaken, I'm all about your idea... Which makes me think its been thought of before and a rule put in place to prevent "poaching".

Even if you are right, it still might be worth it given our past history on signing HS kickers. I think it is one of the best ideas yet.

Todd4State
11-20-2013, 05:15 PM
The only problem is since they are moving up to D-I, they would have to sit out a year. You can only be immediately eligible if you transfer down a level.

It's to keep people like Ole Miss from having hired guns for a lack of better words at other positions.

spbdawg
11-20-2013, 10:21 PM
#

HunterDawg
11-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Signing kickers with "really strong legs" is right in there with signing QB's who have "cannon arms" and throw really hard. It is a factor (there are times when you have to zip it in there), but if they don't have the needed accuracy, both are going to struggle.

We have all played golf with heavy hitters who had no idea where it was going.

Kicking it a long way or throwing it like a rocket are not the only factors. Damien comes to mind. Yes, he throws hard, but throwing a rocket at the back of the receivers head 10 yards away is not such a good thing, which is why he was 0 for 5 against Bama. Not much "touch".

We need to look at more than strength. We need to make the field goals and complete the passes. I would rather have a FG kicker who can hit consistently from 40 than a guy who can occasionaly hit from 52. I think we sometimes look at the wrong factors.

thf24
11-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Is it legal to approach a player currently signed with and playing for another school without prior contact initiated by said player? If so, then I'm all for it, whether he has to sit out a year or not.

Quaoarsking
11-20-2013, 11:43 PM
We could look non-FBS seniors who already have their degrees and want to enroll in MSU for masters. Those wouldn't have to sit about a year. Basically, the Masoli route.

spbdawg
11-23-2013, 09:15 PM
#