PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote by David Pollack on the The Herd

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Pollack said that he talked to some senior Alabama players after last year's national championship against Notre Dame and asked them where Notre Dame would stack up in the SEC. The Alabama player's quote,"They are Mississippi State."

If nothing else, this should add a little perspective about who we are and what we are up against.

This isn't a Mullen thread, just thought I would share an interesting quote.

Coach34
11-19-2013, 12:32 PM
very interesting

DawgsBite34
11-19-2013, 12:34 PM
meaning that like us before we played them last year, had a lot of hype with the undefeated record but didn't really deserve it.....I'd love to hear what that certain player had to say after the game Saturday night lucky we didn't have our best offensive player.....Bet he was the loser they showed on ESPN bitching about the cowbells so he put earplugs in his ears. good thread it kinda fired me up a little bit, that and *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* comment from the presser yesterday, he was talking about winning 4 out of 5 Egg Bowls

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 12:37 PM
meaning that like us before we played them last year, had a lot of hype with the undefeated record but didn't really deserve it.....I'd love to hear what that certain player had to say after the game Saturday night lucky we didn't have our best offensive player.....Bet he was the loser they showed on ESPN bitching about the cowbells so he put earplugs in his ears. good thread it kinda fired me up a little bit, that and *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* comment from the presser yesterday, he was talking about winning 4 out of 5 Egg Bowls

Pollack took the quote as meaning the level of play, not having to do with hype.

In greater context, the conversation was centered around the difference between Ohio State's schedule and an SEC team's schedule.

I honestly took it as a complement.

bluelightstar
11-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't

DawgsBite34
11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't

me neither

Dawgface
11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Considering AL beat them 42-14, I don't either.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Oh, ok. I took it as a complement that we were being compared to a team that was in the national championship last year. Guess I completely misunderstood the conversation. Colin certainly took it as a compliment.

Bo Darville
11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Fair assessment. When I watched Notre Dame last year, I saw MSU, Ole Miss, or Vandy. I saw a good, solid 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4 SEC team.

EngineerDawg
11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
I think it makes sense. If you put ND in our division with our schedule... they would fair as we do. They would win against our OOC and struggle against our tough divisional opponents. They don't have great depth, but have a solid first string... so on and so forth. I don't see it as an outright compliment, but I also don't think its an insult. Thanks for the info Shotgun.

PassInterference
11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
National media gives us a compliment and you fruit loops can't take it. How many of you are female?

DawgsBite34
11-19-2013, 01:11 PM
National media gives us a compliment and you fruit loops can't take it. How many of you are female?

THE ENTIRE ALABAMA FANBASE MADE FUN OF NOTRE DAME!!!!! MY GOD THEY GOT BEAT 42-14!!!!!!!!!! sounds to me like you people are looking for a complement

DawgsBite34
11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
not just the fanbase either the whole country knew what was going to happen it was 42-14 and it wasn't that close. I don't understand how comparing us to a team that got demolished is a complement

Coach34
11-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Considering AL beat them 42-14, I don't either.

Bama beat us 38-7 last year- which is when the question was asked

CadaverDawg
11-19-2013, 01:36 PM
We can take it and spin it however we want, but it was meant as a shot at Notre Dame. The guy was saying that Notre Dame was no tougher than what they play in the mid to lower tiers of their own conference. More of a compliment to the strength of the SEC than a compliment towards MSU. But mostly just an insult to Notre Dame, and no compliment at all.

Or at least, that's how I took it

HoopsDawg
11-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh, ok. I took it as a complement that we were being compared to a team that was in the national championship last year. Guess I completely misunderstood the conversation. Colin certainly took it as a compliment.

You took that as a compliment??? LOLOLOLOLOLOL Colin constantly uses us as an example of ineptitude.

Bothrops
11-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Pollack said that he talked to some senior Alabama players after last year's national championship against Notre Dame and asked them where Notre Dame would stack up in the SEC. The Alabama player's quote,"They are Mississippi State."

If nothing else, this should add a little perspective about who we are and what we are up against.

This isn't a Mullen thread, just thought I would share an interesting quote.

Notre Dame?? That's an insult

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Ok, Ok, Ok, maybe it wasn't a complement or a jab, maybe it was just a quote that should enlighten us to the challenges we face. We can be as good as a team that made the National Championship, and still suck within our own division. Maybe that's what we should take away. Of course, I think most on here already knew this.

Bothrops
11-19-2013, 02:56 PM
We could have beaten ND had we played 'em early last year.

sleepy dawg
11-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Unless you 1 of about 5 teams in the country, then you couldn't even be a competitor in the SEC west in a given year. The SEC west usually produces the hands-down #1 team each year, and some years I think the west has had the #1 and #2 teams. There's also been years where I thought 3 of the top 5 teams in the country were in the SEC west.

You can call that quote what you want. Notre Dame would be like us and most other schools in the country who don't play in the SEC who think they're good. They're mostly good because they're not in the SEC.

We're not ever going to be there (A consistent top SEC competitor). It doesn't matter what we change. We are poor ole msu. We will never achieve the success of the big time SEC programs. It's never going to happen. You can spend your life suffering over that fact and refusing to believe it, or you can accept reality and take the highs when you can get them.
Many of you won't take those highs, you'll just remain pissed off the rest of your life over something that will never happen.

Dawg61
11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
com?pli?ment
noun
ˈk?mpləmənt/
a polite expression of praise or admiration.
"she paid me an enormous compliment"
synonyms: flattering remark, tribute, accolade, commendation, bouquet, pat on the back; More
antonyms: insult
an act or circumstance that implies praise or respect.
"it's a compliment to the bride to dress up on her special day"
congratulations or praise expressed to someone.
"my compliments on your cooking"
synonyms: congratulations, commendations, praise; More
greetings or regards, esp. when sent as a message.
"carry my compliments to your kinsmen"
synonyms: greetings, regards, respects, good wishes, best wishes, salutations, felicitations More
verb
verb: compliment; 3rd person present: compliments; past tense: complimented; past participle: complimented; gerund or present participle: complimenting
ˈk?mpləˌment/
politely congratulate or praise (someone) for something.
"he complimented Erica on her appearance"
praise (something) politely.
"complimenting the other team's good play"
synonyms: praise, pay tribute to, speak highly/well of, flatter, wax lyrical about, make much of, commend, acclaim, applaud, salute, honor; More
antonyms: criticize
archaic
present someone with (something) as a mark of courtesy.
"Prince George expected to be complimented with a seat in the royal coach"
Origin
mid 17th cent.: from French compliment (noun), complimenter (verb), from Italian complimento ‘fulfillment of the requirements of courtesy,’ from Latin complementum ‘completion, fulfillment’ (reflected in the earlier English spelling complement, gradually replaced by the French form between 1655 and 1715).

berr6728
11-20-2013, 08:18 PM
sleepy dawg good post. MSU only have 2 sports we can seriously have chance to win a national championship-Track, where with 10 to 12 good athletes you can accomplish and Baseball. We were close last year in Baseball. I stated this about 3 years ago. We can only hope for 7/5-8/4 seasons each year that will sell out Davis Wade each year and a bowl trip each year. This will keep our coffers with money that is needed to operate our athletic department. I feel we should be happy and content with this.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

chef dixon
11-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I think a lot of you guys are way off on this. Put them in the SEC, yes they would immediately have a season like us (sort of like Missouri did). But given an adjustment period, they would start to do better than us on a yearly basis. I am looking at their schedule last year, and we would absolutely NOT run the table like they did (not even close actually). They are just better suited and more comfortable for the type of football they play now against a consistent schedule, and once they went up against Bama with a month to prepare it was no contest, but so was LSU the previous season.

Say what you want, but ND, as much as people hate them, isn't just god awful.

Political Hack
11-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I think a lot of you guys are way off on this. Put them in the SEC, yes they would immediately have a season like us (sort of like Missouri did). But given an adjustment period, they would start to do better than us on a yearly basis. I am looking at their schedule last year, and we would absolutely NOT run the table like they did (not even close actually). They are just better suited and more comfortable for the type of football they play now against a consistent schedule, and once they went up against Bama with a month to prepare it was no contest, but so was LSU the previous season.

Say what you want, but ND, as much as people hate them, isn't just god awful.

we would skull drag them this year.

hell, OM and Vandy could skull drag them this ear.

joben3
11-20-2013, 09:13 PM
lol it is compliment not complement. damn...

joben3
11-20-2013, 09:14 PM
haha thank you for this.