PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach extension

Catfish
12-01-2021, 05:17 PM
I've read and heard its happening soon. Anyone know the details?

Maverick91
12-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Gotta get those assistants paid!

Lord McBuckethead
12-01-2021, 05:37 PM
4 year 22 million per year. **
can't be outdone. 5 million for assistants.

Johnson85
12-01-2021, 05:57 PM
I've read and heard its happening soon. Anyone know the details?

Yea, we're going to extend him out to 4 years.

Catfish
12-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Delete

lastmajordog
12-01-2021, 07:15 PM
Please tie it to beating lil brother.....Please

RocketDawg
12-01-2021, 07:42 PM
4 year 22 million per year. **
can't be outdone. 5 million for assistants.

At the rate we're going, it'll be that in a couple of years.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2021, 07:46 PM
Please tie it to beating lil brother.....Please

That's not the only game that matters.

msstate7
12-01-2021, 07:46 PM
He's certainly earned getting contact back to 4 years

RocketDawg
12-01-2021, 08:01 PM
He's certainly earned getting contact back to 4 years

Why was it not 4 years to begin with?

PCHSDawg
12-01-2021, 08:09 PM
Why was it not 4 years to begin with?

I think state law mandates no contracts longer than 4 years so common practice is to extend them back to four years every year.

Dak Holliday
12-01-2021, 08:20 PM
I think state law mandates no contracts longer than 4 years so common practice is to extend them back to four years every year.

Correct.

Homedawg
12-01-2021, 08:26 PM
He obviously deserves a full extension. A minimal raise, ok. But I'm not on board of jacking him up just Bc everyone else is stupid. $5 mil is plenty. Go 9-3 and sure a bigger raise. But 7-5. No.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2021, 08:28 PM
He obviously deserves a full extension. A minimal raise, ok. But I'm not on board of jacking him up just Bc everyone else is stupid. $5 mil is plenty. Go 9-3 and sure a bigger raise. But 7-5. No.

He's at $5 now I don't mind taking him to $5.25-5.5

Homedawg
12-01-2021, 08:32 PM
He's at $5 now I don't mind taking him to $5.25-5.5

Yeah I know. And that's fine. I'm down w that.

msstate7
12-01-2021, 08:54 PM
What about arnett?

BeardoMSU
12-01-2021, 08:55 PM

Thank you.

Dawgology
12-01-2021, 09:04 PM
He?s getting two live dolphins, a wooden schooner, and a barrel of rum. He good

Maroonthirteen
12-01-2021, 09:07 PM

If the EB is just another game, get them off the schedule when the sec expands. Request to be in a pod outside them.

PCHSDawg
12-01-2021, 09:10 PM
I don't mind extending him with a raise, but I also don't mind incentivizing winning the Battle for the Golden Egg as part of it.

Homedawg
12-01-2021, 09:17 PM
What about arnett?

Bumped him to around 2 last year

R2Dawg
12-01-2021, 09:20 PM

He didn't say it was the only game that matters just having something about winning the egg bowl in the contract.

It would be a smart move. In next 4 years, asking him to get 2 wins is not unreasonable. That would be 2-4 in egg bowl to keep job. That ain't asking for much. It would be just a little something to give the school some leverage to get out if all the other games go south too.

It would be smart so I'm sure we wouldn't do it because much of our fanbase don't get it either.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2021, 09:31 PM
He didn't say it was the only game that matters just having something about winning the egg bowl in the contract.

It would be a smart move. In next 4 years, asking him to get 2 wins is not unreasonable. That would be 2-4 in egg bowl to keep job. That ain't asking for much. It would be just a little something to give the school some leverage to get out if all the other games go south too.

It would be smart so I'm sure we wouldn't do it because much of our fanbase don't get it either.

Unless you have an incentive for beating all SEC West teams I hate it. It makes us seem so little brother. We'll give you extra money as long as we beat OM. That's all we care about.

Coach34
12-01-2021, 09:37 PM
You have to get him back to 4 years and pay him well.

But the key is to make sure Arnett is paid well. Plus the other assistants. This is where we have failed over the years.

TorpedoIPA
12-01-2021, 09:41 PM

You guys think Leach doesn't want to win the egg bowl and that writing a clause in the contract will make a difference ? OM has the better team this year.
What else can Leach do ? He tries to get every ounce of effort out of the players. Sometimes you just get beat.

But one thing is for sure. He doesn't cheat. Whether that means he will be at a disadvantage to the other school I don't know.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2021, 09:48 PM
You guys think Leach doesn't want to win the egg bowl and that writing a clause in the contract will make a difference ? OM has the better team this year.
What else can Leach do ? He tries to get every ounce of effort out of the players. Sometimes you just get beat.

But one thing is for sure. He doesn't cheat. Whether that means he will be at a disadvantage to the other school I don't know.

The SEC recruits differently. He's not on pace for his best recruiting class ever this year by accident.

Catfish
12-01-2021, 09:49 PM
The SEC recruits differently. He's not on pace for his best recruiting class ever this year by accident.

We don't know yet !

Homedawg
12-01-2021, 09:52 PM

A bunch of head coaches don't cheat. But their programs damn sure do. Don't be so naive man. You didnt come over on the mayflower..

Coach34
12-01-2021, 10:07 PM
A bunch of head coaches don't cheat. But their programs damn sure do. Don't be so naive man. You didnt come over on the mayflower..

Our class isnt trending because of Leach. People are so gullible. Our boosters have now bought into Leach- thats why our recruiting is trending

CaptainObvious
12-01-2021, 10:11 PM
From where I was sitting last Thursday night, might need to incentivize the players to win the Bowl for the Egg Game. Pretty lackluster effort by all three units.

Cowbell
12-01-2021, 10:47 PM
If the EB is just another game, get them off the schedule when the sec expands. Request to be in a pod outside them.

If we were to incentivize a win over any opponent on the schedule, it would be Bama first.

Todd4State
12-02-2021, 12:12 AM
Unless you have an incentive for beating all SEC West teams I hate it. It makes us seem so little brother. We'll give you extra money as long as we beat OM. That's all we care about.

If Saban has a bonus for beating Auburn I wouldn't think that was little brother at all.

We can compete for championships and win the Egg Bowl.

No different than winning a Governor's Cup and the National Championship in the same year.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2021, 12:22 AM
If Saban has a bonus for beating Auburn I wouldn't think that was little brother at all.

We can compete for championships and win the Egg Bowl.

No different than winning a Governor's Cup and the National Championship in the same year.

I don't see anything about beating Auburn as an incentive.

https://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/nick-saban/

Todd4State
12-02-2021, 12:31 AM
I don't see anything about beating Auburn as an incentive.

https://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/nick-saban/

It was a hypothetical. Not meant to be taken as fact.

Also I wouldn't mind bonuses for bowl games and beating Alabama and LSU.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2021, 12:42 AM
It was a hypothetical. Not meant to be taken as fact.

Also I wouldn't mind bonuses for bowl games and beating Alabama and LSU.

I don't mind bonuses just not for beating OM. It just makes us look like we're satisfied with beating OM. Hey you beat LSU, A&M, & Auburn cool. You beat OM here's $200k. That seems crazy.

DAWG1903
12-02-2021, 07:13 AM

This is it - for us to grow our program we have to be bigger than just that one game. Incentives for beating all SEC Teams or making a NY6 or SEC Championship Game.

DAWG1903
12-02-2021, 07:14 AM

But the key is to make sure Arnett is paid well. Plus the other assistants. This is where we have failed over the years.

Agree with this - assistants have not always been a priority for us. That must change.

Coursesuper
12-02-2021, 07:27 AM

Failed over and over again.

Leroy Jenkins
12-02-2021, 08:01 AM
I don't mind bonuses just not for beating OM. It just makes us look like we're satisfied with beating OM. Hey you beat LSU, A&M, & Auburn cool. You beat OM here's $200k. That seems crazy.

You don't give him a bonus for beating OM. You deduct from his salary for losing.

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2021, 08:06 AM
If we were to incentivize a win over any opponent on the schedule, it would be Bama first.

The norm in coaching contracts is incentives for all P5 wins. So, you give him incentives for all sec wins or don't include incentive for sec wins at all.

My point is Leach treats all the games the same. Rival or not. So get OM off the schedule and Bama for that matter. A sec schedule of Texas Missouri usc Kentucky and vandy would be good to me.

Todd4State
12-02-2021, 08:07 AM

It's a major rivalry game and beating them has a major impact on our fan base and our perception as a program locally which translates into more support. I don't think we should pretend like it's just another game either. We both know it's not. And when we hire an outsider non- MSU person as a coach they need to understand the impact of that game.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2021, 08:40 AM
As I've gotten older, beating OM has meant less and less. It's fun to beat up your asshole cousin, but in reality I only think about that asshole when I have to see him at Thanksgiving.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2021, 08:53 AM
It's a major rivalry game and beating them has a major impact on our fan base and our perception as a program locally which translates into more support. I don't think we should pretend like it's just another game either. We both know it's not. And when we hire an outsider non- MSU person as a coach they need to understand the impact of that game.

Yes beating your rival is important. No you shouldn't get a bonus for beating OM but not beating Bama. That's insane.

FriarsPoint
12-02-2021, 08:56 AM
I think the best way to motivate regardless of team, for players and coaches, would be the threat of a firing squad after each loss. …………..

TorpedoIPA
12-02-2021, 08:57 AM
Effort doesn't seem to be a problem this year. Leach talks about players trying to do too much and getting too frantic at times. In fact, once or twice he said we played better once we thought all was lost.

So I am wondering what you guys think Leach should do different in preparation for OM that he is not doing for Auburn or say...LSU. It sounds like the staff puts in grueling hours during the season anyway.

Leach did say one time that he spent more time thinking of new ways to practice than he did on trick plays.

Extendedcab
12-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Effort doesn't seem to be a problem this year. Leach talks about players trying to do too much and getting too frantic at times. In fact, once or twice he said we played better once we thought all was lost.

So I am wondering what you guys think Leach should do different in preparation for OM that he is not doing for Auburn or say...LSU. It sounds like the staff puts in grueling hours during the season anyway.

Leach did say one time that he spent more time thinking of new ways to practice than he did on trick plays.

Speaking of trick plays, did anyone notice, since the Kentucky game since they had a bye week before they played us, the number of trick plays opponents ran against us? To me that says they are either scared of losing to us and are trying to find a way to win or they have no respect for us and want to humiliate us. In any case it pissed me off!

TrapGame
12-02-2021, 11:24 AM
Speaking of trick plays, did anyone notice, since the Kentucky game since they had a bye week before they played us, the number of trick plays opponents ran against us? To me that says they are either scared of losing to us and are trying to find a way to win or they have no respect for us and want to humiliate us. In any case it pissed me off!

They had to maximize the offense's possession b/c with our offense chewing some clock it was going to cut into their TOP and chances of scoring.

Just my theory.

Coach34
12-02-2021, 11:59 AM
That would be me as an AD.

You don’t get a bonus for beating Mississippi. Beating them means we aren’t going to deduct 200K from your salary

R2Dawg
12-02-2021, 01:13 PM

I wasn't talking about money for a win. I was talking about being able to have some contract flexibility by the school is he didn't beat OM at least twice in next 4 years. Not paying him extra for something he is already supposed to do. But if he don't show something there, we ain't paying him the bank to get rid of him either say if he goes 0-4 and averages 6 wins a year. We would want that coach gone after 6 years. It just gives us an out. If a HC is scared of not being able to go 2-4 against his rival then he ain't the right guy anyway.

Catfish
12-02-2021, 01:59 PM
I think Leach will get bumped up to $5.25 or $5.5 and money for assistants.

TorpedoIPA
12-02-2021, 02:37 PM
I think Leach will get bumped up to $5.25 or $5.5 and money for assistants.
I wouldn't be surprised if Leach is the first HC to ask to be paid in BITCOIN :)

Catfish
12-02-2021, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Leach is the first HC to ask to be paid in BITCOIN :)

Ha Ha!!! That would be just like him.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2021, 03:27 PM

Leach: " You know money is just an object with a perceived value. You tell me this dollar is a dollar, and that coin is one quarter of that dollar, and it's backed by the government - but what is value and why a government? Why not a computer or a swami, or anyone else qualified to assign value and make their own money. You know Key West has the Conch Republic. I have some of those Conch Bucks from when they succeed from Florida every year and fire the canon down at the southern tip of the US and declare Key West its own country. Those Conch Bucks get you a drink at Captain Tony's. We sit with our rum in our shorts and flip flops and have a great time and sing Jimmy Buffett and people collect those Conch Bucks and you can buy them on the internet for ten times their value. But they still just get one drink at Captain Tony's, so two shots of rum is the value of a Conch Buck even though they are $25 on eBay and two shots of rum at Captain Tony's is only $14.50 But, that's the value of living in anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major issue like the value of a Conch Buck."

Catfish
12-02-2021, 03:34 PM
So we've got bitcoin and conch buck?

Jarius
12-02-2021, 03:37 PM
Kiffin got paid an extra couple hundred K for beating us.

TrapGame
12-02-2021, 03:43 PM
Kiffin got paid an extra couple hundred K for beating us.

So did Freeze.

Johnson85
12-02-2021, 04:46 PM

It's not asking for much but it's also just a bad message. First, you have to look at results as a whole. It's weird to say 2-46 over a four year period with two wins over Ole Miss does not give cause for termination, but 45-3 with 3 losses to Ole Miss would be cause for terminating the contract.
Second, I don't think any coaches at any P5 schools make losing cause for terminating a contract without a buyout. That's just not market and we wouldn't help ourselves by bucking the market that way in an lose/don't win situation for the coach.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2021, 06:52 PM
As I've gotten older, beating OM has meant less and less. It's fun to beat up your asshole cousin, but in reality I only think about that asshole when I have to see him at Thanksgiving.

I have to see him every day of the week around here. Not losing that game MATTERS.

R2Dawg
12-02-2021, 07:25 PM
It's not asking for much but it's also just a bad message. First, you have to look at results as a whole. It's weird to say 2-46 over a four year period with two wins over Ole Miss does not give cause for termination, but 45-3 with 3 losses to Ole Miss would be cause for terminating the contract.
Second, I don't think any coaches at any P5 schools make losing cause for terminating a contract without a buyout. That's just not market and we wouldn't help ourselves by bucking the market that way in an lose/don't win situation for the coach.

Well none of us work in the agent field. Everything is open for negotiations. I also didn't say you fire someone over egg bowl record. It just gives you some leverage if other things are bad too and it puts a little emphasis on the rivalry.