PDA

View Full Version : Egg Bowl Conundrum

BeastMan
11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Ole Miss is currently ranked #24 in the AP poll and not ranked in the coaches. I think they should be ranked in both but I guess other HC don't care for Freeze, I dunno. I just can't figure out why they aren't ranked. ANYWAYS, most MSU fans will be rooting for Mizzou this Saturday. Most will cheer if they beat the Rebs in Oxford. The problem is that the Rebs wouldn't be ranked for the EB and even if the dogs win, folks could still use the "Mullen hasn't beaten a ranked team..."

So would you rather:

(1) Root for Ole Miss to beat Mizzou so they come to Starkville ranked even though that win would help their bowl placement. Mullen could finally get that monkey off his back. This option would bring more positive national attention should MSU win.

(2) Root for Ole Miss to lose to Mizzou and MSU. Screw the "Mullen beating ranked opponent stat". This option has less positive national media exposure if MSU wins.

A classic "your cake and eat it too" situation
http://us5.memecdn.com/Choose-wisely-boy_o_130114.gif

Big4Dawg
11-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I'd rather them lose to Mizz.

If we win out, and they lose out, we are 6-6, they are 7-5. Not a clear difference.

Barking 13
11-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Bo Darville
11-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Beastman, what movie/tv show is that from?

On the Ole Miss subject. I want Missouri to beat them by 40 and MSU to be Arkansas by 40. Then we whip them big in the Egg Bowl. We finish 6-6 and win a bowl. They finish 7-5 and lose a bowl. Next year we go 12-0, win the SEC championship game, and make the new playoff format. They go 0-12, and their crowds look like something in Hattiesburg.

BeastMan
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
So a few already for #2. Allow me to play devil's advocate. #1 would be shown be pushed as an upset by major sports news outlets (like ESPN) and be displayed more on TV, twitter, Facebook, etc... It would make a bigger national splash. Would look better for recruiting this and next year. It would also be a bigger "mark" against Freeze. If OM is ranked that would be a game he is clearly supposed to win (as far as national perception).

FISHDAWG
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
set your emotions aside then make that choice ... either way, I'm not sure it would help us in either public perception or with recruiting ...... having said that, I would rather see them beat Mizz and remain ranked when we play them

Coach34
11-19-2013, 11:50 AM
NEVER....EVAHHHHH....ROOT.....FOR...OLE MISS

Mizzou all the way

CadaverDawg
11-19-2013, 11:54 AM

All day, every day

DawgInMemphis
11-19-2013, 11:57 AM
So a few already for #2. Allow me to play devil's advocate. #1 would be shown be pushed as an upset by major sports news outlets (like ESPN) and be displayed more on TV, twitter, Facebook, etc... It would make a bigger national splash. Would look better for recruiting this and next year. It would also be a bigger "mark" against Freeze. If OM is ranked that would be a game he is clearly supposed to win (as far as national perception).

It may make a bigger splash if they were ranked when we played them, but (assuming we beat them) them beating a ranked Mizzou team will do more for their recruiting than losing to us will hurt it. I think our cause is helped equally as far as recruiting goes if we beat a #20 ranked UM or an unranked UM.

In other words, I'll take the deuce.

The Croom Diaries
11-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't really care about whether they were ranked or not, just whether or not they were a good team, re: finished with a winning record. Beating OM would accomplish that - something we haven't done since 2010 (beat a SEC or BCS team that finished the year with a winning record). So root against OM, then beat them and the entire fan base will be pumped and 90% of the hand wringing will go away.

Madkinmecrazy
11-19-2013, 12:02 PM
My gut says #2 but my head says #1.

A chance to beat a Top 15 team, at home, on Thanksgiving, would be magical. ESPN would hype the game more if a ranked team is playing, our team would build momentum over a ranked squad before the bowl, and recruits would take notice.

At the end of the day, a ranking is just a number and doesn't count for shit. But I sure would love to beat a ranked team to finish out the regular season. And who cares if they finish 8-4 or 7-5? As long as we beat them, I couldn't care less if they go 11-1.

I don't get the argument about hoping that your rival always sucks. Sure, its good for recruiting, but having a good rival elevates the play on BOTH sides of the rivalry. Stakes are higher, games are better, and the rivalry actually MATTERS to people outside of the fanbases.

I usually am pretty complacent in any OM game that doesn't effect MSU in any way. I have too much other stuff to worry about to cheer against a team that I simply don't care anything about.

Dawgtini
11-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Is there a way they can lose twice to MU?

DownwardDawg
11-19-2013, 12:04 PM
I hope Missouri crushes them.

War Machine Dawg
11-19-2013, 12:07 PM
If Mississippi played Al Qaeda University, I'd root for Al Qaeda University. Go Mizzou!

Percho
11-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Me 2

RiverCityDawg
11-19-2013, 12:10 PM
#2 easy. Ole miss won't be ranked either way if we beat them, so I don't see enough benefit to pull for them against Mizzou. In fact, if we win, most random non-SEC joes watching the game in a turkey comma will probably think we were the team that was supposed to win and goes by the name ole miss or Mississippi state or bulldogs or rebels.

Percho
11-19-2013, 12:13 PM
If Mississippi played Al Qaeda University, I'd root for Al Qaeda University. Go Mizzou!

Me 2

stxdawg
11-19-2013, 12:19 PM
I can't imagine any scenario where I would root for the bears. They are not a good team. They will lose to Mizzou in a close one, then travel into Davis-Wade and get pounded by us.

Thick
11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't give a damn if they win or lose vs Mizzou. I care more about us vs UA. If we lose to the Hogs, will anybody really care about Mizzou vs OM? Every MSU board known to mankind will be blowing up with a vengeance!

I know that the original question is linked to MSU, but none of it will matter if we lose this Saturday.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
#2 all day.
I'll enjoy a win over them at 7-4 just as much. Plus the media would probably find a way to point out how badly they played rather than "wow, MSU with a great game and big upset."
A win over them if they were ranked after beating Missouri would be nice - sure, but then you create the risk of a loss to them to put them at 9-3. That would absolutely suck. If I was more confident in us winning, I might could handle #1 easier. But with our struggles this year and our QB situation, I want to avoid seeing them at 9 wins at all costs. Imagine the offseason and preseason hype they would get. Would be like 08-09 all over again. And this time they don't have Nutt and Snead to make them trip and fall on their faces.
Go Tigers.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 01:06 PM

PassInterference
11-19-2013, 01:10 PM
So would you rather:

(1) Root for Ole Miss to beat Mizzou so they come to Starkville ranked even though that win would help their bowl placement. Mullen could finally get that monkey off his back. This option would bring more positive national attention should MSU win.

(2) Root for Ole Miss to lose to Mizzou and MSU. Screw the "Mullen beating ranked opponent stat". This option has less positive national media exposure if MSU wins.

This is a serious question?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/frenchkiss_really.gif

http://bavatuesdays.com/files/2011/07/The-Breakfast-Club-opt.gif

HancockCountyDog
11-19-2013, 01:13 PM
This is may be the easiest choicer of all time. My 2nd favorite team every weekend is whoever is playing Ole Miss.

Maroon Diapers
11-19-2013, 01:17 PM
I will never cheer for them in any sport unless it helps us out in the standings. Not rankings. A group of them once told me they would never cheer for MSU, even if a MSU victory over someone would send them to Atlanta. This is how stupid these delusionists are. We have nothing to gain by them winning anything, hence let the rest of their season come crashing down on their f'ing heads.

smootness
11-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Uh, 2. Why would anyone pick 1?

So we beat Ole Miss in both scenarios, but in one scenario they end up with a better record than the other, and with another big win for them?

Um, yes. I'll take 2, this is not even a choice.

Who cares if people will say it's an upset? I'd rather they think Ole Miss is not very good to begin with. Our fanbase has allowed people to change our own perceptions...we place way too much emphasis on this 'Mullen hasn't beaten anybody awesome yet' claim. It's better for us the fewer wins Ole Miss ends up with.

You're saying the bigger mark on Freeze is to beat Missouri (and have beaten Missouri and LSU in the same year), then lose to State rather than losing both? That makes no sense.

I seen it dawg
11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Ole miss lose. In everything everyday no matter the ramifications.

dawgs
11-19-2013, 01:38 PM
go mizzou

is this even a question?

TrapGame
11-19-2013, 01:48 PM
I'll never pull for ole miss to win anything unless they all get a serious case of herpes in the process.

Dawg61
11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't want Mizzou winning the East after talking so much shit about dominating in the SEC so I'm rooting for them to lose.

preachermatt83
11-19-2013, 01:52 PM
NEVER....EVAHHHHH....ROOT.....FOR...OLE MISS

Mizzou all the way

Coach and I don't always agree but he just NAILED this one!!! NEVER root for OM.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I'll never pull for ole miss to win anything unless they all get a serious case of herpes in the process.

Already happened with their recruiting championship last year.

preachermatt83
11-19-2013, 01:54 PM
This is may be the easiest choicer of all time. My 2nd favorite team every weekend is whoever is playing Ole Miss.

Boom!

Op4isabitch
11-19-2013, 01:58 PM
#2 all day everyday!

However it would be ironic if they beat Mizzou then turn around and get beat by us. Especially seeing as how they are the ones that started the Mullen has never beat a top 20 ranked team mantra!

starkvegasdawg
11-19-2013, 02:05 PM
There is no way I could ever pull of TSUN. Never. I hope they lose in everything thing they do. The only thing I don't wish on them is actual physical harm or some other calamity. Aside from that I want nothing good to happen to them related to sports. I hope on the way down here their bus gets 4 flat tires and loses all its oil. I hope the bus that picks them up has its radio stuck and plays nothing but a loop of the MSU fight song all the way to Starkville as well as having had a family of skunks living in their that were very unhappy at being removed. I hope their equipment manager orders all their jock straps two sizes too small. I hope 5 minutes before they take the field they get an official LOI from the NCAA detailing major violations involving lack of institutional control. I hope Yancy is specifically named in that LOI. I hope that right before the game they all need to take a big dump only to see 30 seconds after they all dropped the deuce that every stall is out of toilet paper. If anybody ever wants anything different for them then melt down your cowbell and turn it into a whisky flask.

Madkinmecrazy
11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't give a damn if they win or lose vs Mizzou. I care more about us vs UA. If we lose to the Hogs, will anybody really care about Mizzou vs OM? Every MSU board known to mankind will be blowing up with a vengeance!

I know that the original question is linked to MSU, but none of it will matter if we lose this Saturday.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't get emotionally invested in OM football, I can only handle one team and that is the Bulldogs. The way I see it, an OM win vs. Mizzou makes us look better if we pull out the Egg Bowl. I don't give a damn what the bears do 11 weeks out of the year, all I care about is how WE do for 12 weeks.

Barking 13
11-19-2013, 02:49 PM
There is no way I could ever pull of TSUN. Never. I hope they lose in everything thing they do. The only thing I don't wish on them is actual physical harm or some other calamity. Aside from that I want nothing good to happen to them related to sports. I hope on the way down here their bus gets 4 flat tires and loses all its oil. I hope the bus that picks them up has its radio stuck and plays nothing but a loop of the MSU fight song all the way to Starkville as well as having had a family of skunks living in their that were very unhappy at being removed. I hope their equipment manager orders all their jock straps two sizes too small. I hope 5 minutes before they take the field they get an official LOI from the NCAA detailing major violations involving lack of institutional control. I hope Yancy is specifically named in that LOI. I hope that right before the game they all need to take a big dump only to see 30 seconds after they all dropped the deuce that every stall is out of toilet paper. If anybody ever wants anything different for them then melt down your cowbell and turn it into a whisky flask.

I'm with this guy... and, I'd like to see them fall all over themselves coming out of the fieldhouse, all on top of bucky... and keep playing it and the co-ed video the whole game on the moo-tube instead of commercials...

smootness
11-19-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't want Mizzou winning the East after talking so much shit about dominating in the SEC so I'm rooting for them to lose.

This, I don't really care about.

Ole Miss not beating another good opponent and finishing with one more win, I do care about.

Sam&DeansDawg
11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd like to win out but this season has already gone down the shi**er. I just want to beat Ol miss.

preachermatt83
11-19-2013, 02:57 PM

^^^This!!!

Dawg61
11-19-2013, 03:01 PM
This, I don't really care about.

Ole Miss not beating another good opponent and finishing with one more win, I do care about.

You care you just don't realize it. If Mizzou wins the East the entire nation outside the SEC will be screaming from the mountain tops about how overrated the SEC is. I'd rather not hear it. Plus MSU has only once made the SECG and I don't like the idea of Mizzou tasting it in only their 2nd season of SEC ball.

smootness
11-19-2013, 03:13 PM
You care you just don't realize it. If Mizzou wins the East the entire nation outside the SEC will be screaming from the mountain tops about how overrated the SEC is. I'd rather not hear it. Plus MSU has only once made the SECG and I don't like the idea of Mizzou tasting it in only their 2nd season of SEC ball.

No, I don't care.

They can scream all they want about how overrated the SEC is. We've won the last 7 titles, have a pretty good chance to make it 8, and no one really disputes it's still the best conference in the country. Missouri won't change that one way or another, just as Texas A&M beating Bama didn't change anything.

I don't think to myself, 'Only __ teams have made the SECCG and we are one of them,' and smile. It's cool that we went and I loved it at the time, but I'm not hanging my hat on anything we did 15 years ago.

I seen it dawg
11-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Wait a minute....you give a shit whether Mizzou puffs their chest out over winning the east....more than you care about success/failure for ole miss? I don't get this at all. Who gives a damn about Mizzou except the fact they can knock Ole Miss out of the top 25 on Ole miss home field. Who gives a shit about the east anyway. This is confusing to me for someone with Dawgs in their handle.

Dawg61
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Wait a minute....you give a shit whether Mizzou puffs their chest out over winning the east....more than you care about success/failure for ole miss? I don't get this at all. Who gives a damn about Mizzou except the fact they can knock Ole Miss out of the top 25 on Ole miss home field. Who gives a shit about the east anyway. This is confusing to me for someone with Dawgs in their handle.

I've been rooting for Mizzou to lose for a month now. Go back and check the posts if you like. It just so happens it's Ole Miss playing them this week. I'll say it again. Mizzou talked a lot of shit about dominating in the SEC BEFORE they joined. **** them. I don't want Missouri winning the SEC East anytime soon. Plus if UOM wins they will definitely be in the top 20 for Mullen to end that streak AND get us bowl eligible. It will make our win over UOM even more sweeter.

I seen it dawg
11-19-2013, 03:44 PM
That's just baffling to me. And I'm glad.

SignalToNoise
11-19-2013, 03:49 PM
The enemy of the enemy is your friend.

[Insert Whatever Two-Word Cheer Mizzou Uses]

mek34
11-19-2013, 04:28 PM
easy 2