PDA

View Full Version : With Riley out, and OU moving to the SEC....

CadaverDawg
11-28-2021, 08:21 PM
Is OU about to be the next Nebraska?

Now that they will no longer be the big dog on the porch in their conference, I could see the allure being diminished greatly. Add to it the fact that they will likely have a bumpy few years with a new coach as they join the toughest conference in football...and that program may never be the same again. Am I crazy for thinking Riley bolting at this exact time, could be the perfect storm that knocks OU from the "elite" category forever?

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 08:23 PM
It definitely could put a damper on the boomer sooner.

Catfish
11-28-2021, 08:29 PM
Gotta give Riley credit, he is fox smart.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 08:38 PM
It certainly could knock them down. UT I think even more so. I don’t understand how Texas can make such awful decisions. They have got more money than the federal reserve. Just go hire a top level, proven coach......how freaking hard is that when money is no object. Just pay me fifty grand and I will act as a hiring consultant. I guarantee I could make a better hire than they have done for years and years.

chef dixon
11-28-2021, 08:51 PM
Oklahoma has so much recent QB success and general success recruiting Texas. I don't think it's really that comparable to Nebraska. It's not nearly as remote and cold. They will take a step back simply because of the most beastly conference ever created.

Coursesuper
11-28-2021, 08:57 PM
What they do have is resources they might take a step back but far from irrelevant. Riley made the smart move though, he can recruit within 100 miles and get all the talent he needs and plenty of $$$$ to work with.

Tater
11-28-2021, 08:58 PM
Considering Riley had emphasized West Coast recruiting in the 2022 / 2023 Recruiting classes for OU. Yea, he just cut em deep. I've heard 5 de-commits today alone. Either announced or soon to be. More to follow.

OU already looked to come in as an Auburn / LSU level program. They better be careful not to find themselves in Tennessee territory.

State82
11-28-2021, 09:03 PM
My opinion....OU and UT are both in for a rude awakening.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 09:19 PM
Just saw Matt Campbells name mentioned for the OU job. That’s the best fit for OU I’ve seen yet.

Cowbell
11-28-2021, 09:27 PM
Even diehard OU fans are very pessimistic right now. There is a reason they haven't been picking on Texas while they were down.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 09:39 PM
Even diehard OU fans are very pessimistic right now. There is a reason they haven't been picking on Texas while they were down.

This is a huge hire for them upon entering the sec. I think Matt Campbell fits their culture and program, so would Stoops. Their fan base doesn’t really want Stoops though. I think if Stoops can recruit and win at UK, he would do pretty darned good at a school like OU. Campbell is a very good coach as well.

TrapGame
11-28-2021, 09:43 PM
Just saw Matt Campbells name mentioned for the OU job. That’s the best fit for OU I’ve seen yet.

Just saw a tweet that OU is throwing a blank checkbook at Kingsbury. Next year is the last year of his NFL contract. He?s supposedly target numero uno.

TrapGame
11-28-2021, 09:45 PM
This is a huge hire for them upon entering the sec. I think Matt Campbell fits their culture and program, so would Stoops. Their fan base doesn’t really want Stoops though. I think if Stoops can recruit and win at UK, he would do pretty darned good at a school like OU. Campbell is a very good coach as well.

Speaking of Stoops there?s a rumor that he told the UK AD he needed X amount of money for recruiting and an indoor practice facility that was for football only. Depending on what the AD decides about this request decides the future of Stoops at UK.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 11:00 PM
Kingsbury really was bad at Texas tech then found success in the nfl. I dunno. Tech fans love him as a former player/leach q b, but don’t think he has what it takes to lead a college program.

They say he’s an OC not a HC

RougeDawg
11-28-2021, 11:30 PM
This is a huge hire for them upon entering the sec. I think Matt Campbell fits their culture and program, so would Stoops. Their fan base doesn?t really want Stoops though. I think if Stoops can recruit and win at UK, he would do pretty darned good at a school like OU. Campbell is a very good coach as well.

OU would be smart to bring in a SEC guy with a recruiting footprint outside of their normal footprint. Stoops would provide that and has a proven track record.

Either way the next few days will be interesting and it is fun to watch knowing we will not be a part of it. Grab your Pappys and Popcorn. Ok maybe your Blantons or EH Taylor, but Pappy starts with a P.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 11:41 PM
Just rumors, but Iowa board is talking about hints Campbell is gone from ISU. U Washington job is still open.

I also don’t think it’s beyond possibilities that OU comes to talk to Leach if their first few choices don’t work out. OU wanting Kingsbury means they want to maintain their version of the air raid.

sandjunky
11-29-2021, 03:27 PM
Is OU about to be the next Nebraska?

Now that they will no longer be the big dog on the porch in their conference, I could see the allure being diminished greatly. Add to it the fact that they will likely have a bumpy few years with a new coach as they join the toughest conference in football...and that program may never be the same again. Am I crazy for thinking Riley bolting at this exact time, could be the perfect storm that knocks OU from the "elite" category forever?

Well ole Barry Switzer is stumping for Leach

Commercecomet24
11-29-2021, 03:28 PM
They want Kingsbury bad, but Heupels name is gonna be on that list somewhere too.

Coursesuper
11-29-2021, 03:31 PM
They want Kingsbury bad, but Heupels name is gonna be on that list somewhere too.

Those make sense with the personnel they have on hand, the move to Stoops or Campbell will require some retooling of the offense.

msstate7
11-29-2021, 03:32 PM
Well ole Barry Switzer is stumping for Leach

I would be pretty surprised if they came after leach

Commercecomet24
11-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Those make sense with the personnel they have on hand, the move to Stoops or Campbell will require some retooling of the offense.

Yeah I would think Heupel is gonna be pretty high on that list after Kingsbury. He's been successful as an OC, he's had a great year at ut, he's a former sooner and would probably stay with them forever if he has success. Only question would he leave ut this soon? I bet OU could get him away from ut if they decided he was their guy. Be interesting to see how this plays out there.

StateDawg44
11-29-2021, 03:45 PM
I would be pretty surprised if they came after leach

I agree. Have a feeling they want to make a younger hire than someone on the way out soon.

I'm sure they'd do anything to stop the bleeding if it got bad enough though.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2021, 03:48 PM
Just saw Shane Beamers named mentioned by 247 as a prime candidate. I don't see that one at all but who knows.

TrapGame
11-29-2021, 03:53 PM
I think it's gonna be Kingsbury b/c his latest statement was along the lines of "I'm not worried about that right now. I'm just worried about Chicago." That's the perfect no answer answer.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2021, 03:56 PM
I think it's gonna be Kingsbury b/c his latest statement was along the lines of "I'm not worried about that right now. I'm just worried about Chicago." That's the perfect no answer answer.

Yeah that's the most cliched coachspeak for "I'm thinking about that other job" lol.

Kingbarkus
11-29-2021, 03:59 PM
It won?t be Heupel. Apparently, there is bad blood there and the relationship has been severed.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2021, 04:01 PM
It won?t be Heupel. Apparently, there is bad blood there and the relationship has been severed.

Interesting. I wonder what happened.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2021, 04:09 PM

Just read this to. Strange response:

When asked why he didn't just deny interest in the Sooners job, Kingsbury responded: "We're in-season, we're 9-2, Just not a topic I want to touch on right now."

Coursesuper
11-29-2021, 04:16 PM

When asked why he didn't just deny interest in the Sooners job, Kingsbury responded: "We're in-season, we're 9-2, Just not a topic I want to touch on right now."

Interesting, maybe this is why big game Bob is coaching the bowl game. Who knows but is damn sure isn't a rebuke.

TrapGame
11-29-2021, 04:17 PM

Yeah, a quick "No, I'm the coach of the Arizona Cardinals today and will be next year too." would end it pretty quick. He left the barn door of speculation wide open.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2021, 04:21 PM
Yeah, a quick "No, I'm the coach of the Arizona Cardinals today and will be next year too." would end it pretty quick. He left the barn door of speculation wide open.

Exactly and you know the media is going to hound the heck out of him about it. Maybe it's a ploy to get a big raise and extension from the cardinals, but I'm willing to bet Oklahoma would pay him more than the cardinals. He sure as heck didn't do anything to end the speculation! Let the crazy coaching carousel season begin!

LC Dawg
11-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't OK want to have a coach before early signing day? They've already had some de-commitments. So if it's Kingsbury he would either take the job in the middle of the Cardinal's season or they wait to announce it and possibly lose a lot of recruits.

TrapGame
11-29-2021, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't OK want to have a coach before early signing day? They've already had some de-commitments. So if it's Kingsbury he would either take the job in the middle of the Cardinal's season or they wait to announce it and possibly lose a lot of recruits.

Oh man, they got recruits decommitting and current players hitting the portal. It's a massacre. They need a stable hire soon.

Maverick91
11-29-2021, 05:18 PM
Oh man, they got recruits decommitting and current players hitting the portal. It's a massacre. They need a stable hire soon.

we need to hit this up hard.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2021, 12:05 AM
Kingsbury looking for an extension since he has 1 year left. No way he leaves a job where he's playoff bound and doesn't have to recruit, and goes to Oklahoma. Well, unless they pay him a shot ton more I guess. Everyone has a price