PDA

View Full Version : Well, who gets Oklahoma and LSU?

msstate7
11-28-2021, 04:03 PM
These are 2 of the premier programs in college football open at the same time. Pretty wild

RougeDawg
11-28-2021, 04:05 PM
Don to Oklahoma at a discount.**

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 04:06 PM
I could see Oklahoma grabbing Heupel.

KOdawg1
11-28-2021, 04:06 PM
Heupel to OU

Matt Campbell to LSU

Randolph Dupree
11-28-2021, 04:07 PM
Do the events of today strengthen Kiffin to LSU? I think he's most likely to leave for Miami for lifestyle reasons but wonder if Miami going to stick with Manny for another year since multiple prime jobs are open.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 04:08 PM
Do the events of today strengthen Kiffin to LSU? I think he's most likely to leave for Miami for lifestyle reasons but wonder if Miami going to stick with Manny for another year since multiple prime jobs are open.

I'm not sure LSU wants Kiffin.

bobcat91
LSU may be down to Stoops and Bill O'Brian. A far cry from a homeowner hire. If they had the stones, they should go after Kiffin. You may hate him, but hes a really good coach

Ifyouonlyknew
Heupel to OU

Matt Campbell to LSU

I think Campbell would rather go to OU.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 04:09 PM
I’m not sure LSU wants Kiffin, they probably could already have him if they wanted him. He’s probably down the list a ways.

msstate7
11-28-2021, 04:09 PM
Speaking of stoops, think Oklahoma has interest in Bob's brother?

MetEdDawg
11-28-2021, 04:10 PM
I'll be stunned if it's not Heupel to Oklahoma.

LSU down to Matt Campbell and Bill O'Brien apparently? Would Mark Stoops get a look there too?

Homedawg
11-28-2021, 04:12 PM
So this Riley stuff is official? Or still just hearsay?

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Stoops would be a good hire for LSU or OU IMO. He’s a smart coach who wins at UK, recruits at UK a very tall order.

He’s got some Iowa to him, good fundamentals, strong defense.

KOdawg1
11-28-2021, 04:15 PM
Stoops would be a good hire for LSU or OU IMO. He’s a smart coach who wins at UK, recruits at UK a very tall order.

He’s got some Iowa to him, good fundamentals, strong defense.

I want Stoops gone from Kentucky. We don't need them consistently recruiting at the level they are this year. That's a game we need to win every year.

Bothrops
11-28-2021, 04:37 PM
Kiffin has a 10-2 season and is still undesirable by most in the hunt for coaches. Lol

msstate7
11-28-2021, 04:39 PM
Kiffin has a 10-2 season and is still undesirable by most in the hunt for coaches. Lol

Not good for us

Bothrops
11-28-2021, 04:39 PM
So this Riley stuff is official? Or still just hearsay?

It's been reported by numerous sports agencies

KOdawg1
11-28-2021, 04:42 PM
Not good for us

I still maintain that if you take Corral and Lebby away, Kiffin becomes decent instead of good.

He's a good offensive mind and a decent recruiter, but he walked into a great situation with a 1st round QB and a fast, up and coming OC.

I want Lebby gone because if Kiffin ever does leave, that's who they'll promote.

PikeDawg15
11-28-2021, 04:43 PM
Not good for us

Personally think he's gonna get exposed next year without a top 10 draft pick at QB, but thats just me.

I think he is about to leave this year with all the openings and still potential openings possible

Wild start to the Coaching carousel today.

USC vs oregon is going to be MUST watch pac 12 after dark

PikeDawg15
11-28-2021, 04:44 PM
I still maintain that if you take Corral and Lebby away, Kiffin becomes decent instead of good.

He's a good offensive mind and a decent recruiter, but he walked into a great situation with a 1st round QB and a fast, up and coming OC.

I want Lebby gone because if Kiffin ever does leave, that's who they'll promote.

the key here is corral more than kiffin or lebby... i will eat crow if im wrong but that guy himself won them the arkansas and tennessee games by himself

SteelCurtain74
11-28-2021, 04:45 PM
If Heupel does go to OU, does TN kick the tires on Mullen?

PikeDawg15
11-28-2021, 04:46 PM

Rocky Top II: The return of the Lane Train

KOdawg1
11-28-2021, 04:47 PM

Don't think so. It'd be a hit to their pride to have to hire a coach UF just fired.

I think Mullen is probably NFL bound, but Duke just opened up, and I could see him going there.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 04:48 PM
Not good for us

Ehh. They'll take a step back next year. How far will be determined by the portal. What should scare OM fans is he's basically punting on a half a HS class to go strictly portal. That's dangerous if you're building a program.

msstate7
11-28-2021, 04:48 PM

He won 10 games twice at FAU before he got to OM. And remember the talent was always there for corral, but kiffin actually got it out of him. I think they will be really good offensively as long as he's there. I prefer he leave

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 04:49 PM

Agreed.

RocketDawg
11-28-2021, 04:49 PM
Is Luke Fickel in the mix for LSU or Oklahoma (or Tennessee if Heupel heads to Oklahoma)?

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 04:50 PM
Ehh. They'll take a step back next year. How far will be determined by the portal. What should scare OM fans is he's basically punting on a half a HS class to go strictly portal. That's dangerous if you're building a program.

Great post and dead on accurate

KOdawg1
11-28-2021, 04:52 PM
He won 10 games twice at FAU before he got to OM. And remember the talent was always there for corral, but kiffin actually got it out of him. I think they will be really good offensively as long as he's there. I prefer he leave

Oh, no doubt. Like I said, he's a good coach. I just don't think he consistently wins 9-10 games in the SEC unless he has a Matt Corral at QB every year. I want him on the first plane from Oxford to Miami though. It'd be funny.

KOdawg1
11-28-2021, 04:53 PM
Is Luke Fickel in the mix for LSU or Oklahoma (or Tennessee if Heupel heads to Oklahoma)?

Already signed an extension with Cincy I believe.

msstate7
11-28-2021, 04:54 PM

It certainly can backfire, but it could be an effective strategy now that transfers are out of control. Be interesting to follow

msstate7
11-28-2021, 04:55 PM
Oh, no doubt. Like I said, he's a good coach. I just don't think he consistently wins 9-10 games in the SEC unless he has a Matt Corral at QB every year. I want him on the first plane from Oxford to Miami though. It'd be funny.

OM and state aren't gonna find a guy capable of winning 9-10 consistently. What both of us should hope for is 7-8 consistently with a 10-win season every 4-5 years. The deck is stacked against us both

KOdawg1
11-28-2021, 04:58 PM
OM and state aren't gonna find a guy capable of winning 9-10 consistently. What both of us should hope for is 7-8 consistently with a 10-win season every 4-5 years. The deck is stacked against us both

You're correct. Not arguing that statement at all.

confucius say
11-28-2021, 05:01 PM

He's never built a program in his career as a coach. Good offensive mind, but he's never won with his own players. We'll see if putting all your chips in the portal pays off.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 05:06 PM

You nailed it right here. We split the talent in the state just about every year and neither of us recruit well enough nationally to make a difference.

Perfectly said.

WhiskeyPirate
Bingo

He’s setting up to polish his resume then bolt

He’s a mercenary, this is why he’s not a good hire IMO.

Coursesuper
Exactly. Very risky but that?s how the guy does it.

Catfish
11-28-2021, 05:08 PM
Bingo

He’s setting up to polish his resume then bolt

He’s a mercenary, this is why he’s not a good hire IMO.

He kind of made an ass out of himself on the sidelines against us and after that with his cowbells comment.

lastmajordog
11-28-2021, 05:12 PM
Won?t be so funny if om pony?s up the money (Which I think they will), gets portal qb and then recruits for the second coming.......actually a horrible scenario for the DOGS.....

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 05:18 PM
Good luck finding a Matt Corrall in the portal. The q bs they are mentioning like the UVA q b or the UCF q b will be about a million times easier to defend.

Bothrops
11-28-2021, 05:32 PM
Won?t be so funny if om pony?s up the money (Which I think they will), gets portal qb and then recruits for the second coming.......actually a horrible scenario for the DOGS.....

Even if he gets a touted qb from the portal, it doesn't mean it will translate to wins. It's risky for him to stay there if he has a choice after 10-2. I have little doubt he will own Leach so I want him out.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 05:34 PM
Even if he gets a touted qb from the portal, it doesn't mean it will translate to wins. It's risky for him to stay there if he has a choice after 10-2. I have little doubt he will own Leach so I want him out.

Now I hope he stays at ole miss. I want to see him own leach without Matt Corrall and a dozen seniors. I’ll take that bet next year.

dawgday166
11-28-2021, 05:36 PM
Now I hope he stays at ole miss. I want to see him own leach without Matt Corrall and a dozen seniors. I’ll take that bet next year.

LOL ... I don't think he'll own Leach myself either. I think when Leach gets rolling it will probably be about 50/50. They're both good coaches IMO.

Todd4State
11-28-2021, 05:38 PM

It certainly can backfire, but it could be an effective strategy now that transfers are out of control. Be interesting to follow

That's equally as risky as Jackie relying heavily on JUCO's. You have to have a core group of players- and Ole Miss had that with their QB and RB to build around. At some point it will catch up with them and when Kiffin leaves their numbers will be way out of whack leaving a massive rebuild.

Todd4State
11-28-2021, 05:39 PM
Good luck finding a Matt Corrall in the portal. The q bs they are mentioning like the UVA q b or the UCF q b will be about a million times easier to defend.

And remember they didn't get Corral in the portal. Very rare to find a QB like that- and the unicorn QB's that are in the portal are not looking to go to Ole Miss. See Justin Fields.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 05:40 PM
LOL ... I don't think he'll own Leach myself either. I think when Leach gets rolling it will probably be about 50/50. They're both good coaches IMO.

If we roll them pretty good next year, it’s going to be a while before they can beat us IMO, we will get better every year until will graduates, and then Locke will be primed to take over, or Sawyer but there will. E some very good q bs in the pipeline.....that’s how Leachs q b depth works. He reloads. And it’s never with underclassmen.

Todd4State
11-28-2021, 05:41 PM

Kiffin is a better hire short term.

Leach is a better hire long term.

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2021, 05:41 PM
That's equally as risky as Jackie relying heavily on JUCO's. You have to have a core group of players- and Ole Miss had that with their QB and RB to build around. At some point it will catch up with them and when Kiffin leaves their numbers will be way out of whack leaving a massive rebuild.

Y'all are really selling Kinkead Dent short.****

Todd4State
11-28-2021, 05:44 PM
If we roll them pretty good next year, it’s going to be a while before they can beat us IMO, we will get better every year until will graduates, and then Locke will be primed to take over, or Sawyer but there will. E some very good q bs in the pipeline.....that’s how Leachs q b depth works. He reloads. And it’s never with underclassmen.

I think we're ahead of schedule in some ways. We had some disappointing losses but almost all of them were because we made young mistakes and we were in very game except for Alabama. And we pulled some upsets. We're a Brandon Ruiz injury away from a 10 win season ourselves.

Todd4State
11-28-2021, 05:45 PM
Y'all are really selling Kinkead Dent short.****

Perhaps! LOL.

dawgday166
11-28-2021, 05:47 PM
Kiffin is a better hire short term.

Leach is a better hire long term.

That's primarily due to Kiffin probably looking to leave more and/or his assistants doing same thing. If Kiffin applies himself it will probably be close to 50/50.

One of things I really like about Leach is other coaches seem to like working with him and the majority of his staff have been together for a while. Hopefully we won't have a lot of staff turnover. That helps a lot when trying to build a program.

Cowbell
11-28-2021, 05:56 PM
You guys are crazy if you don't think kiffin is on the shortlist at OU. The dude has proven he is a solid hire. Some of you need to take your maroon colored glasses off. He is a better coach than Lincoln Riley every day of the week. Anybody want to debate me let's go....

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 06:02 PM
You guys are crazy if you don't think kiffin is on the shortlist at OU. The dude has proven he is a solid hire. Some of you need to take your maroon colored glasses off. He is a better coach than Lincoln Riley every day of the week. Anybody want to debate me let's go....

I don’t think OU would hire a guy like Kiffin. I don’t think he is theirkind of guy, Bob Stoops still has a lot of influence there. JMO

And I’m not saying that because I don’t like Kiffin. There are schools he is a good fit with and there are schools that would view him as a bit sleazy or mercenary. Especially some of the blue bloods.

dawgday166
11-28-2021, 06:07 PM
I'm betting on Kiffin to stand pat. The thing is if he goes to any of those other schools everyone's mentioning him with, his seat starts out warm automatically and won't take much to get hot. His seat is cool at OM now and it would be a while till it warms up any, unless he goes like 3-8 next year maybe.

ETA: I kinda wonder if Dano regrets his decision to leave in 2018. He had a team to compete for SEC and the Natty and he knows he did. He woulda had a lifetime contract if he had been in Natty game against Clemson. I thought he was stupid to take FL job with their fans' expectations.

msstate7
11-28-2021, 06:08 PM

The board seems to morphing from hoping kiffin will leave to kiffin isn't gonna be any good without corral. Personally, I think kiffin is really good, and I want him gone ASAP

ETA... on the other hand, if anyone would bring back art briles, it would be OM.

I almost expect them to fire Kermit this year, and go get pitino

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2021, 06:14 PM
The board seems to morphing from hoping kiffin will leave to kiffin isn't gonna be any good without corral. Personally, I think kiffin is really good, and I want him gone ASAP

I'd say Kiffin as a coach is on par with Freeze - but more likable and more honest (yes that was scary to type). But, I don't think he will recruit the way OM's nutty fans want and his record will be up and down. He's definitely a thousand steps up from Luke.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 06:16 PM
I'd say Kiffin as a coach is on par with Freeze - but more likable and more honest (yes that was scary to type). But, I don't think he will recruit the way OM's nutty fans want and his record will be up and down. He's definitely a thousand steps up from Luke.

This is accurate on all points. Lane doesn't like recruiting and is always gonna depend on portal/transfer guys, and that's gonna be hit or miss.

msstate7
11-28-2021, 06:17 PM

I think freeze is better bc of recruiting. Hopefully, lane doesn't become the Chris beard of college football with transfers.

Cowbell
11-28-2021, 06:59 PM
I don?t think OU would hire a guy like Kiffin. I don?t think he is theirkind of guy, Bob Stoops still has a lot of influence there. JMO

And I?m not saying that because I don?t like Kiffin. There are schools he is a good fit with and there are schools that would view him as a bit sleazy or mercenary. Especially some of the blue bloods.

The problem with this line of thinking is that Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of options at this point. And winning is always numero Uno. He has an identical record to Rikey this year in only year 2 at Ole Miss with less talent in a tougher conference.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 07:02 PM
The problem with this line of thinking is that Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of options at this point. And winning is always numero Uno. He has an identical record to Rikey this year in only year 2 at Ole Miss with less talent in a tougher conference.

OU is blue blood with a lot of money. Kiffin is not the only guy they could hire away from a school. Beyond one season with Corrall his overall resume is not that impressive.

Cowbell
11-28-2021, 09:25 PM
OU is blue blood with a lot of money. Kiffin is not the only guy they could hire away from a school. Beyond one season with Corrall his overall resume is not that impressive.

Name all the guys they can get that have a better resume

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Name all the guys they can get that have a better resume

I?m sure they have a list. First of all I don?t think OU would hire Kiffin, second of all with OUs resources if they are going to pry a head coach away from a school, they aren?t limited to Lane Kiffin.

I think Kiffin is a little hyped up by some on here because he?s at Ole Miss. I saw a lot of comments on other boards that said ?why would you hire a guy that?s been fired for two P5 jobs based on one season where Matt Corrall fell into his lap?........that perception is out there along with Kiffins somewhat checkered past. A blue blood like OU isn?t going to hire Kiffin IMO. Miami, well that?s a good match for Kiffin. They would hire Charles Manson if he could win some games.

parabrave
11-28-2021, 09:33 PM
Is Kendell Briles a target for anyone?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Kiffin isn't getting the blue blood jobs attention because he can't coach. He's not getting the interest because they don't think they can trust him. Most AD's like routine & boring they don't want to worry about what someone is tweeting or a sound bite. The "cool" things that OM fans love now are the exact things that give blue blood AD's pause. They see those things & say he hasn't grown up at all he's still a childish loose cannon. He's matured just not enough.

Op4isabitch
11-28-2021, 09:38 PM
If I was the LSU AD, I?d be on the phone to Art Briles and his agent, probably would have been 6 weeks ago to be honest.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 09:38 PM
Kiffin isn't getting the blue blood jobs attention because he can't coach. He's not getting the interest because they don't think they can trust him. Most AD's like routine & boring they don't want to worry about what someone is tweeting or a sound bite. The "cool" things that OM fans love now are the exact things that give blue blood AD's pause. They see those things & say he hasn't grown up at all he's still a childish loose cannon. He's matured just not enough.

Most accurate post in this whole thread!

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 09:41 PM
If I was the LSU AD, I?d be on the phone to Art Briles and his agent, probably would have been 6 weeks ago to be honest.

You would be out of a job the next week too

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 09:41 PM

Art Briles is a good coach, a real sleazy dirtbag, but he wins games. LSU fan base wouldn’t care about crimes committed under his watch.

Op4isabitch
11-28-2021, 09:43 PM

Why? He was cleared of all wrong doing and can coach football as well as anyone. What am I missing?

parabrave
11-28-2021, 09:43 PM

Well apparently all the crap that has been going on overthere has been swept under the rug So Art would fit in nice.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 09:45 PM
Why? He was cleared of all wrong doing and can coach football as well as anyone. What am I missing?

It's a reason he can't get a D2 job

Op4isabitch
11-28-2021, 09:47 PM

LSU hires him, one season they are back to 10 wins. All of his last “indiscretions” would be forgotten and LDU would be back in the hunt for a Championship, which is all they care about in redstick.

parabrave
11-28-2021, 09:49 PM
LSU hires him, one season they are back to 10 wins. All of his last “indiscretions” would be forgotten and LDU would be back in the hunt for a Championship, which is all they care about in redstick.

This.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 09:58 PM

This. Briles is radioactive and maybe for the rest of his life.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 10:12 PM

We'll never know.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2021, 10:31 PM
If Cincy makes the playoffs, I could see OU making Luke Fickell an offer he can’t refuse......despite his claims he’s staying at Cincy. LSU could do the same but I don’t think LSU is going to be that patient. He’d be a great hire for either job, as would Matt Campbell.

Cooterpoot
11-28-2021, 10:35 PM
If Cincy makes the playoffs, I could see OU making Luke Fickell an offer he can’t refuse......despite his claims he’s staying at Cincy. LSU could do the same but I don’t think LSU is going to be that patient. He’d be a great hire for either job, as would Matt Campbell.

Fickell is the northern Napier. He's waiting on specific jobs and OK isn't one of them. He'll never come south.

Activated Alpha
11-28-2021, 10:43 PM
I bet Kiffin stays with OM

If he doesn?t, I could see OM promoting Lebby or getting Kendall Briles from Arky

dawgday166
11-28-2021, 10:44 PM

So I'm thinking on this one some.

Kiffin may not can coach I guess but in his 9 full seasons of coaching he's won 10 games 4 times. And he just equaled Mullen's best SEC year in his 2nd year at OM. Now all that is with predecessors' recruits for most part I will admit. But he still has to coach them.

And I'm not sure sound bites or twitter causes ADs to pause as much as it's probably the extra-curricular stuff of legend they're more concerned with happening again.

That's just my take. You're privy to a lot more inside info than most of us on here are tho.

Ifyouonlyknew
I bet Kiffin stays with OM

Especially if no one offers. I think Miami is the only place that could possibly offer & that's after firing Manny & Cristobal saying no.

LC Dawg

Yeah, I was thinking today that Kiffin is not doing himself any favors with all the fake injuries. No reputable school wants announcers going off about the bush league tactics of their head coach. Kiffin just can't seem to help himself. He's a spoiled child that happens to be a good coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-28-2021, 10:45 PM
So I'm thinking on this one some.

Kiffin may not can coach I guess but in his 9 full seasons of coaching he's won 10 games 4 times. And he just equaled Mullen's best SEC year in his 2nd year at OM. Now all that is with predecessors' recruits for most part I will admit.

And I'm not sure sound bites or twitter causes ADs to pause as much as it's probably the extra-curricular stuff of legend they're more concerned with happening again.

That's just my take. You're privy to a lot more inside info than most of us on here are tho.

I mean it all ties together. AD's don't want to have to worry about what their coaches are doing or aren't doing.