PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico State HC Doug Martin let go today

MetEdDawg
11-27-2021, 06:53 PM
This one concerns me for a possible Arnett move. He's from New Mexico and went to New Mexico.

Just something to watch to see if it unfolds. I don't have intel that it will, but would be interested to know if there's been any possible word about a return to his home state.

Coursesuper
11-27-2021, 06:57 PM
This one concerns me for a possible Arnett move. He's from New Mexico and went to New Mexico.

Just something to watch to see if it unfolds. I don't have intel that it will, but would be interested to know if there's been any possible word about a return to his home state.

Absolute dead end job.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 06:58 PM
Coaching grave yard. If he's gonna take a hc job that's not the one to take.

Bothrops
11-27-2021, 07:11 PM
Arnett is from New Mehico so you never know

MetEdDawg
11-27-2021, 07:13 PM
Absolute dead end job.

Normally I would agree. But they are moving to CUSA and they have shown they can compete in basketball and baseball. They are investing in athletics and making a move to a better conference with more recognition (no one cares about the WAC).

I think it's a more attractive job now with the move.

msstate7
11-27-2021, 07:19 PM
Normally I would agree. But they are moving to CUSA and they have shown they can compete in basketball and baseball. They are investing in athletics and making a move to a better conference with more recognition (no one cares about the WAC).

And it's home. I agree, this is something to keep an eye on

CadaverDawg
11-27-2021, 07:47 PM
Hopefully he wants to stay put for a little while. Unsure of his family situation.....Married? Kids?

Coursesuper
11-27-2021, 07:55 PM

CUSA isn?t what it once was.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 07:56 PM
CUSA isn?t what it once was.

Yeah usm even bailed on cusa. It's failing apart. Sun belt is way better than cusa now.

Coursesuper
11-27-2021, 08:00 PM

Yeah usm even bailed on cusa. It's failing apart. Sun belt is way better than cusa now.

Possibly the worst league in the bowl division.

basedog
11-27-2021, 08:04 PM
Dead state for football players. Yes it’s a grave yard. If he goes good for him becoming HC but I hope he stays.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 08:07 PM
Possibly the worst league in the bowl division.

I believe so too. Just lost to many teams to be even semi relevant anymore. And if even usm leaves you how good can the conference really be.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 08:11 PM
Dead state for football players. Yes it’s a grave yard. If he goes good for him becoming HC but I hope he stays.

I agree if he goes I'll hope he does well but I believe he can do better but home can be a big draw sometimes

basedog
11-27-2021, 08:14 PM
I agree if he goes I'll hope he does well but I believe he can do better but home can be a big draw sometimes

Like I said, it’s not a good State nor program for football. Actually I would be surprised. La Tech or Troy has a better football program.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-27-2021, 08:16 PM
They couldn't afford his buyout or pay him half of what he's making now.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 08:21 PM
Like I said, it’s not a good State nor program for football. Actually I would be surprised. La Tech or Troy has a better football program.

Yep this.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 08:21 PM
They couldn't afford his buyout or pay him half of what he's making now.

Lol this too.

bobcat91
11-27-2021, 08:27 PM
Arnett is a bright guy. Hes not taking a pay cut and ending his coaching career.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 08:29 PM

I read an article on New Mexico hs football a couple years ago. They've never had a 5 star player from the state and only 4 4 stars in last 20 years

basedog
11-27-2021, 08:40 PM
I read an article on New Mexico hs football a couple years ago. They've never had a 5 star player from the state and only 4 4 stars in last 20 years

Good Elk and Mule Deer State! LOL.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2021, 08:41 PM
Absolute dead end job.

That?s what I was thinking. Pretty small time job.....

mparkerfd20
11-27-2021, 08:59 PM
If offered he'd probably take it and I wouldn't be concerned.. I'm not as big of an Arnett fan as some of you are.

msstate7
11-27-2021, 09:02 PM
If offered he'd probably take it and I wouldn't be concerned.. I'm not as big of an Arnett fan as some of you are.

I'm not as much concerned with losing arnett as much as I am by who leach would replace him with. Leach doesn't exactly have a great history of fielding competent Ds

Cowbell
11-27-2021, 09:51 PM

Yes sir. Yes sir indeed. Hunted there last year

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-27-2021, 09:53 PM
I'm not as much concerned with losing arnett as much as I am by who leach would replace him with. Leach doesn't exactly have a great history of fielding competent Ds

We will pay ~ $1MM for a DC. At that salary, CML will find a good one. This is not a 2016 WSU payroll we are talking about.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 09:58 PM

Now that is definitely true!

Westdawg
11-27-2021, 10:24 PM
Coached out there for years....Arnett isn?t going to Las Cruces from MSU unless is fired from here.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2021, 10:31 PM
We will pay ~ $1MM for a DC. At that salary, CML will find a good one. This is not a 2016 WSU payroll we are talking about.

Exactly. The staff is determined by how much money your school has to a large degree. WSU has the smallest budget in P5. After usc, Oregon and others hired away all of Leachs staff there was no money to bring in a new hire. They could not even afford a bubble indoor practice facility and were in severe debt.

With State Leach could hire a damm good DC without difficulty, and can pay his staff enough they won’t get poached.

USA Today did a story of the richest football programs, they correlated very closely to where those teams were ranked in the top 25.

Money is what it’s all about

msstatelp1
11-28-2021, 12:03 AM
Brett McMurphy is reporting TCUs interim coach is taking that job
https://mobile.twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1464812038014869504
[]

Ari Gold
11-28-2021, 01:10 AM
If they match his salary , odds are he takes it

Ari Gold
11-28-2021, 01:12 AM

Yeah because really good DCs are so easy to get. **

Todd4State
11-28-2021, 01:35 AM
If they match his salary , odds are he takes it

That's the real question though. Which is apparently moot. But I wonder if they would match what MSU is paying him to be our DC? New Mexico State is the end of the Earth as far as D-1 football programs are concerned. I would think that Arnett could land a better job than that with likely better pay.

parabrave
11-28-2021, 02:33 AM

I heard there is a kid named Jessie who can hook him up with players.

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2021, 03:15 AM

Home always has a pull but CUSA is about like Albanian Second Division Soccer now.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Home always has a pull but CUSA is about like Albanian Second Division Soccer now.

Awesome!