PDA

View Full Version : How?

Dak Holliday
11-26-2021, 06:15 PM
How did we get passed by OM and Arky in a 2 year span?

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 06:19 PM
Sounds like we need to fire leach or hire the official who called the bogus PI on Fourth down at Arkansas. Has Memphis passed us too ?

Maroonthirteen
11-26-2021, 06:22 PM
Recruiting. Those schools recruit better than State. It was obvious last night.

Hell, Moorhead signed a safety that didn't like to tackle and not even the best player on his HS defense. (No longer on the roster)

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:28 PM
The thumb points at Moorhead. That's partially how. And Dan started having JUCO heavy classes trying to get out of here while not giving a damn about our future which is why our senior day class was like 10 players mostly walk-ons, JUCO's, and transfers.

KOdawg1
11-26-2021, 06:30 PM

Hell, Moorhead signed a safety that didn't like to tackle and not even the best player on his HS defense. (No longer on the roster)

Not really. If you take the last 3 signing classes from those schools, the average recruiting class is:

MSU-26
Arkansas- 25
OM- 24

Dak Holliday
11-26-2021, 06:31 PM
Sounds like we need to fire leach or hire the official who called the bogus PI on Fourth down at Arkansas. Has Memphis passed us too ?

It?s a legit question. Do you disagree? 2 years ago, we were heads and shoulders in better shape than both of them. We can?t fire Leach. 3 HC in 4 years would kill the program, but you do realize that we are 0-4 vs them. As I watch this Arky game, I find myself wondering how it went this way so fast. JoMo recruited well per the numbers. Arky was a dumpster fire. OM coming off of probation.

Maroonthirteen
11-26-2021, 06:32 PM
I don't care what 247 says. I say what I saw last night and in Fayetteville.

Also as I said, one guy that I saw play many times. Was rated a 3*. Naw.

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:33 PM
It?s a legit question. Do you disagree? 2 years ago, we were heads and shoulders in better shape than both of them. We can?t fire Leach. 3 HC in 4 years would kill the program, but you do realize that we are 0-4 vs them. As I watch this Arky game, I find myself wondering how it went this way so fast. JoMo recruited well per the numbers. Arky was a dumpster fire. OM coming off of probation.

Joe's oldest players on this team are juniors and most are redshirt freshmen or sophomores. Some of them are some of our best players. Of course his last class finished by Leach.

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:36 PM

I don't know that the issue is recruiting so much as it is roster management. Both play more upperclassmen than we do. The largest margin of victory for either one of them against us is 10 points in that span. Which was last night. That will probably flip once we're the older team next year.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 06:36 PM

Sounds like a travesty

KOdawg1
11-26-2021, 06:38 PM
I don't care what 247 says. I say what I saw last night and in Fayetteville.

Also as I said, one guy that I saw play many times. Was rated a 3*. Naw.

I mean okay. You can't blame recruiting and then discredit a legit recruiting site that has consistently shown a correlation between their rankings and where teams actually end up.

Us, Ark, and OM all have similar talent. Now, OM has the better QB, which sets them apart a little. But the talent is similar.

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:38 PM
We also had a much more drastic change in philosophy than the other two. That's a big factor as well. We went from a run first spread team to the Air Raid. We also were way behind in S&C until Leach came in. That is a big factor a lot of fans forget.

parabrave
11-26-2021, 06:42 PM
I mean okay. You can't blame recruiting and then discredit a legit recruiting site that has consistently shown a correlation between their rankings and where teams actually end up.

Us, Ark, and OM all have similar talent. Now, OM has the better QB, which sets them apart a little. But the talent is similar.

They also have the more Experienced QB who is also mobile.

TrapGame
11-26-2021, 06:43 PM
We also had a much more drastic change in philosophy than the other two. That's a big factor as well. We went from a run first spread team to the Air Raid. We also were way behind in S&C until Leach came in. That is a big factor a lot of fans forget.

Yep, KJ and Corral fit their offenses very well. Lebby and Briles weren?t installing totally new offensive schemes.

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:43 PM

Well, to be fair instead of going back three years a better sample would be five. That would cover the juniors and seniors who play the majority of the snaps for most teams and be a little more accurate in general. The results may be similar there too- at least it wouldn't surprise me. But if we look at the make up of the classes ours from five years ago would be the Montez Sweat/Jonathan Abram class that we signed 10 JUCO's or something like that and while I believe we had some hits in that class to like Willie Gay because they left early it caused us to not really have much of a core to build around.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

Dawgfan77
11-26-2021, 06:44 PM
We also had some mass exodus and some of those were four stars.
We are recruiting better but Morris could recruit just couldn't coach.
LK inherited Corral and Ealy. Sam Williams was a juco who has really developed. Joes last class was not good we lost some DL and OL players off that class then the players we are trying to replace them with are very young.
We are closer than you would like in talent to USCE than We would like. BUT we are getting better in recruiting

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:45 PM
Yep, KJ and Corral fit their offenses very well. Lebby and Briles weren?t installing totally new offensive schemes.

And maybe more importantly they weren't true freshmen like Will was last year trying to run it. Really, Will should be a redshirt freshman right now but that makes what he has done even more impressive honestly.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 06:46 PM

This. The 3 of us will always be similar in talent. Last 30 years we've beat om 16 times which means it's almost a draw and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Every time one of us appears to be about to leave the other one behind it just doesn't happen cause we're to similar in talent, same with arky. State, om, arky, uk, usce, Missouri and even Tennessee are all very similar talent wise. Then you have the 6 blue bloods who get higher ranked classes and then Vandy at the dead bottom.

KOdawg1
11-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Well, to be fair instead of going back three years a better sample would be five. That would cover the juniors and seniors who play the majority of the snaps for most teams and be a little more accurate in general. The results may be similar there too- at least it wouldn't surprise me. But if we look at the make up of the classes ours from five years ago would be the Montez Sweat/Jonathan Abram class that we signed 10 JUCO's or something like that and while I believe we had some hits in that class to like Willie Gay because they left early it caused us to not really have much of a core to build around.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

Last 5:

MSU- 25.8
Ark- 29.8
OM- 27

Strengthens my point.

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:50 PM
We also had some mass exodus and some of those were four stars.
We are recruiting better but Morris could recruit just couldn't coach.
LK inherited Corral and Ealy. Sam Williams was a juco who has really developed. Joes last class was not good we lost some DL and OL players off that class then the players we are trying to replace them with are very young.
We are closer than you would like in talent to USCE than We would like. BUT we are getting better in recruiting

This was the class that Joe finished off and Dan started. A lot of contributors in it. Not very many studs.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

To your point this is Joe's first and only real class. It's not too bad- but it's also nothing to brag about. There are some players that don't fit the Air Raid. Cross and Emerson were big pulls.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

This last class by Joe is potentially very solid. Lots of likely contributors. Whiffed on the DB's outside of Forbes though.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:51 PM
Last 5:

MSU- 25.8
Ark- 29.8
OM- 27

Strengthens my point.

As I said that doesn't surprise me. Look at how many players on our team from the class five years ago to see my point.

Jack Lambert
11-26-2021, 06:54 PM
I was at the game and we only had 11 seniors being honored for Senior night I believe only two of them were starters along with the kicker. Hell Ole Miss has 14 starters who are Seniors and the one guy that makes them good is not a Senior but is gone to the NFL.

Todd4State
11-26-2021, 06:56 PM
I was at the game and we only had 11 seniors. At least that all they honored. Hell Ole Miss has 14 starters who are Seniors and the one guy that makes them good is gone to the NFL.

Exactly. Experience matters. A LOT. It's why most analytics that predict season outcomes take experience and returning production as a major factor. And why those analytics are likely to be very favorable to us the next two years.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Exactly. Experience matters. A LOT. It's why most analytics that predict season outcomes take experience and returning production as a major factor. And why those analytics are likely to be very favorable to us the next two years.

It's a huge factor in predicting success in cfb unles you're one of those 4-5 that just reload.

TrapGame
11-26-2021, 06:59 PM

Excellent point.

Dak Holliday
11-26-2021, 07:00 PM
Sounds like a travesty

Sounds like you got your feelings hurt because I didn?t agree with you about Robertson and Greek.

Dak Holliday
11-26-2021, 07:03 PM
Excellent point.

I hope this proves true. My biggest concern, though is OL. Losing 3 starters, 1 being a projected top 10 draft pick will be difficult to replace. We need to fortify the front line if we expect for our offense to run smoothly

starkvegasdawg
11-26-2021, 07:03 PM
Not really. If you take the last 3 signing classes from those schools, the average recruiting class is:

MSU-26
Arkansas- 25
OM- 24

How do things look after you factor in the transfer portal?

KOdawg1
11-26-2021, 07:07 PM
How do things look after you factor in the transfer portal?

Impossible to know really. Outside of Makai Polk, the portal hasn't been so nice to us. But as of now, portal transfers haven't factored into the rankings.

Cooterpoot
11-26-2021, 07:16 PM
Name all the guys here with less than two years in our system. We aren't inexperienced really. Not at game 12 of year two. If two years isn't good, then Juco is pretty worthless I guess. We're going after those guys for experience.
Our problem is poor talent on the OL, LB/DE, and S, K, P. Our depth isn't good. Mullen and Moorhead left gaps & sanctions hurt. Will isn't completely there yet. I'll cut him a little slack. He's still got work to do and experience would help him. Got a couple guys that need to mature too. But inexperience really isn't the biggest problem.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2021, 07:41 PM
We changed offenses and defenses 3 times in those years. We have no identity.

NCDawg
11-26-2021, 07:47 PM

It appeared to me we had two or three D/B's last night that didn't want to tackle.

bulldawg28
11-26-2021, 08:16 PM

I believe this is the answer. The others tweaked what they were doing not total changes.

Jack Lambert
11-26-2021, 08:16 PM
I hope this proves true. My biggest concern, though is OL. Losing 3 starters, 1 being a projected top 10 draft pick will be difficult to replace. We need to fortify the front line if we expect for our offense to run smoothly

I don't like using names but losing Lashley is a plus.

bulldawg28
11-26-2021, 08:17 PM
Impossible to know really. Outside of Makai Polk, the portal hasn't been so nice to us. But as of now, portal transfers haven't factored into the rankings.

Our transfers for the most part are starters.

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2021, 08:34 PM
Arkansas and Ole Miss haven't left us behind. That's about as dumb as saying we've left Auburn and A&M behind because we beat them this year. The SEC this year was much more like the 1990s than it has been over the past 2 decades. On any given weekend all but 3 teams had games that were toss ups - Bama, UGA, and Vandy. Ole Miss happened to win more of their toss ups but their talent profile isn't that different than ours. They were a lot like our '99 team where everything went our way - including a huge come form behind at Auburn, and a lucky Tip, kick, pick that resulted in a game winning FG. Without those, that '99 team is just another MSU 8 win team. Meanwhile, we were a lot like our '13 team - where we just weren't quite ready for prime time but you saw the flashes of talent that would make the '14 season.

Hopefully next year our team has learned from the mistakes and gets the kinks out. Ole Miss will be dealing with losing a talented Senior class and replacing a talented QB. Arkansas will be in the same spot. Will we beat them? I have no idea. I do know that looking at our schedule again next year we have 10 winnable games - and only Bama and UGA stand out as teams that we will like have no chance against.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 08:43 PM
Arkansas and Ole Miss haven't left us behind. That's about as dumb as saying we've left Auburn and A&M behind because we beat them this year. The SEC this year was much more like the 1990s than it has been over the past 2 decades. On any given weekend all but 3 teams had games that were toss ups - Bama, UGA, and Vandy. Ole Miss happened to win more of their toss ups but their talent profile isn't that different than ours. They were a lot like our '99 team where everything went our way - including a huge come form behind at Auburn, and a lucky Tip, kick, pick that resulted in a game winning FG. Without those, that '99 team is just another MSU 8 win team. Meanwhile, we were a lot like our '13 team - where we just weren't quite ready for prime time but you saw the flashes of talent that would make the '14 season.

Hopefully next year our team has learned from the mistakes and gets the kinks out. Ole Miss will be dealing with losing a talented Senior class and replacing a talented QB. Arkansas will be in the same spot. Will we beat them? I have no idea. I do know that looking at our schedule again next year we have 10 winnable games - and only Bama and UGA stand out as teams that we will like have no chance against.

This.

dawgday166
11-26-2021, 08:54 PM

Good post. Everything is cyclical. Not sure where everyone got this idea of years of domination by one school over another other than Bama & GA winning against everyone else and Vandy losing to everyone else. It's like the lottery any given year. Throw in a bunch of balls and the numbers that come out vary year-to-year.

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-26-2021, 09:13 PM
Arky passed us because we had a toss up PI and missed a straight 40 yd FG

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2021, 09:22 PM
We’re passing both next year.

Ark and OM hired coaches that ran offenses that fit the talent on campus and was similar to what they already ran. We made a long term investment while they went with styles that would work quick. And OM had a 1st rd QB on campus.

TrapGame
11-26-2021, 09:30 PM
We’re passing both next year.

Ark and OM hired coaches that ran offenses that fit the talent on campus and was similar to what they already ran. We made a long term investment while they went with styles that would work quick. And OM had a 1st rd QB on campus.

If Lane, Lebby, Briles and Odom stay it?s one thing. OM has to go to the portal for a QB bc that kid from Starkville ain?t gonna cut it next year. Plus they are losing some key starters elsewhere too. If Lebby takes a G5 head coaching job that offense takes a huge step back. If Lane leaves chaos will ensue.

Pittman is gonna be up a creek if he loses both coordinators. Losing one will be tough enough but there?s a chance he might lose both. If that happens we?re gonna see exactly how good of a coach Sam Pittman really is.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 09:41 PM
We?re passing both next year.

Spot on

It?s a quick turnaround vs a long term investment. I think Pittman is a good coach and a good hire. I think Kiffin is gone very soon. If his program drops off substantially after losing Corrall and a dozen senior starters, then he will look for an excuse to get the hell out of dodge. That?s even if he doesn?t get the Miami, LSU, OU job this year.

R2Dawg
11-26-2021, 10:09 PM

Wow had not thought about that but you make a good point. 0-4 against teams we used to be better than. Not a good trend if you ask me. Ark went from a joke to a real SEC team in one year and one new HC.

We can't stay there if we do we'll be the cellar of the SECW.

R2Dawg
11-26-2021, 10:12 PM

Green has been solid as has Charleton. If you count Juco as transfers that has always been good.

yjnkdawg
11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
In reference to OM offense , Corral was the perfect fit for Lebby's offense and he learned from his mistakes last year. They won't find another perfect fit for that offense. They may find a quarterback who can run it really good or good, but not the way Corral did with his decision making, his passing and his running ability.

In reference to the OM defense , they improved their defense greatly by going through the transfer portal, especially with 44 coming in and leading them in tackles.

Activated Alpha
11-27-2021, 12:24 AM
I bet Kiffin will be there head coach next year. He will sign the new extension

viverlibre
11-27-2021, 12:46 AM
We've started over - from scratch - twice in the last four years.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-27-2021, 01:53 AM
Going from a traditional, as far back as you can go, smash mouth team to an air raid is hard to fully accomplish even in 2 yrs. As much as it is of importance to find the offensive pieces. Defense is a must unless we want to be in shootouts every week like his teams at Texas tech and Washington st

viverlibre
11-27-2021, 02:00 AM
Going from a traditional, as far back as you can go, smash mouth team to an air raid is hard to fully accomplish even in 2 yrs. As much as it is of importance to find the offensive pieces. Defense is a must unless we want to be in shootouts every week like his teams at Texas tech and Washington st

We actually went from smash mouth to soft RPO to Air Raid.

Lord McBuckethead
11-27-2021, 02:41 AM

Because unlike other teams, they specifically set their entire defense to sit back and pounce when we throw the ball. Both had DEs that could beat Scott Langley knowing 90% passes were coming up. Go back and watch both games this year. Ark, for two years in a row laid the lumber on anyone catching the ball. They never went man to man, regardless of situation, unless it was inside their 15 yard line. UM did exactly the same thing. Both focused on limiting all YAC, and they executed the majority of the game. Zone discipline well executed.

Then you add to it, both teams had a dang good mix of running schemes and passing, keeping our defense guessing.

All of that, and on top we looked like we were running in sand compared to them. Bad angles. Slow breaks on the ball. No QB spy. No pass rush, and when we did, Corral just ran it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-27-2021, 08:14 AM
How did we get passed by OM and Arky in a 2 year span?

Remember about 3-4 years ago when we lost several recruiting battles to Arkansas and nobody said it was a big deal? I do and we have also undersigned like no one else in the SEC.

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 09:47 AM
I can?t believe that nobody in state went hard after KJ Jefferson. He?s been key to Arky?s success.

Cooterpoot
11-27-2021, 09:53 AM
I can?t believe that nobody in state went hard after KJ Jefferson. He?s been key to Arky?s success.

Without the best WR in the SEC, he's Relf. And say what you want about Pittman, his OLs will always be one of the best in the SEC. He's a great OL guy.

Cooterpoot
11-27-2021, 09:55 AM
Remember about 3-4 years ago when we lost several recruiting battles to Arkansas and nobody said it was a big deal? I do and we have also undersigned like no one else in the SEC.

None of those guys are actually playing for AR.

Cooterpoot
11-27-2021, 09:57 AM
I bet Kiffin will be there head coach next year. He will sign the new extension

Unless Miami or Oklahoma pay him, he's staying. Of course, there's still the domino effect of those jobs but those are probably the only two options right now. I don't think he likes Oxford nearly as much as Oxford likes him. But it is a good fit.

BB30
11-27-2021, 10:06 AM
Does a 2pt loss on the road against arkansas mean that they have blown by us? A game that could have gone either way?

Does Ole miss having a NFL 1st round senior QB mean they have blown by us in some form?

I feel like a lot of y'all have no idea what nuance is. You just see score and record and assume we suck.

Arkansas had a bunch of 5th and even some 6th year seniors. They were one of the oldest teams in the league. Big big difference in a 22-23 yr old kid that has been in an SEC strength program for 4-5 years and a 18-19 year old kid that hasn't.

Arkansas will have a tough year next year and we probably will beat them by multiple scores at home.

Same can be said for the egg bowl next year more than likely.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2021, 11:08 AM
Does a 2pt loss on the road against arkansas mean that they have blown by us? A game that could have gone either way?

Does Ole miss having a NFL 1st round senior QB mean they have blown by us in some form?

I feel like a lot of y'all have no idea what nuance is. You just see score and record and assume we suck.

Arkansas had a bunch of 5th and even some 6th year seniors. They were one of the oldest teams in the league. Big big difference in a 22-23 yr old kid that has been in an SEC strength program for 4-5 years and a 18-19 year old kid that hasn't.

Arkansas will have a tough year next year and we probably will beat them by multiple scores at home.

Yes and based on the same dim witted logic we have blown by TAMU and Auburn, we are trending up and they are trending down. Memphis has passed us up based on running off with a dead ball with twelve men on the field and drunken stoned officials.

Great logic

Mjoelner34
11-27-2021, 11:20 AM

Like button push.

WPS
11-27-2021, 11:38 AM
Without the best WR in the SEC, he's Relf. And say what you want about Pittman, his OLs will always be one of the best in the SEC. He's a great OL guy.

Burks or not, he?s better than Relf. He finished with the highest season QBR in Arkansas history and hasn?t thrown an interception in 6 games. Made several NFL quality throws yesterday.

Percho
11-27-2021, 12:40 PM

Because of that in bold, if we played them again today, I would pick the Bulldogs. They are who they are yet I believe our young skill guys would make the plays today and win, just because of experience.

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Burks or not, he?s better than Relf. He finished with the highest season QBR in Arkansas history and hasn?t thrown an interception in 6 games. Made several NFL quality throws yesterday.

Agree.

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 12:50 PM

Agree on the OL. I still believe games are won and lost in the trenches.

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 01:00 PM
Yes and based on the same dim witted logic we have blown by TAMU and Auburn, we are trending up and they are trending down. Memphis has passed us up based on running off with a dead ball with twelve men on the field and drunken stoned officials.

Great logic

TAMU and Auburn both beat us last year. TAMU lost their QB early in the year and we barely beat them. Nix got hurt and played hurt vs us. That game was a magnificent game, but no where near the normal. All 3 programs were Bowl caliber teams. UA and OM were not. You can gloss over that as much as you?d like, but we went from 4-0 beating Arky by almost 100 combined points and 36 over OM vs them for 2 years to 0-4. That means either they?ve really comeback, we have diminished, or a little bit of both. What Pitman has done at Arky is nothing short of fantastic. He deserves SEC COTY.

Percho
11-27-2021, 01:01 PM

And he is going to get better.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 01:01 PM

Great post!

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Great post!

No one is saying blown past us, but we went from top half of the SEC W to bottom pretty quickly.

parabrave
11-27-2021, 01:04 PM
TAMU and Auburn both beat us last year. TAMU lost their QB early in the year and we barely beat them. Nix got hurt and played hurt vs us. That game was a magnificent game, but no where near the normal. All 3 programs were Bowl caliber teams. UA and OM were not. You can gloss over that as much as you?d like, but we went from 4-0 beating Arky by almost 100 combined points and 36 over OM vs them for 2 years to 0-4. That means either they?ve really comeback, we have diminished, or a little bit of both. What Pitman has done at Arky is nothing short of fantastic. He deserves SEC COTY.

Pittman or Huepel are both COYs for what they have done with their programs.

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 01:07 PM
I can agree with that.

dawgday166
11-27-2021, 01:08 PM
Great post!

I mostly agree with his post but I'm reluctant to predict next year just yet. With all the turnover now in offseason due to the portal, NIL, and all that stuff and then throwing in the Covid extra year of eligibility ... kinda tough to know right now what any team will have next year. Other than Bama and Ga keep on keeping on.

dawgday166
11-27-2021, 01:12 PM
We're tied with Arky & TAM for 3rd in SEC W. Arky has tie breakers against both of us. We have tie-breaker over TAM. We finished 4-4 which equaled all of Dano's year except 2014. We're middle of the pack which is where we normally are.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2021, 01:22 PM
No one is saying blown past us, but we went from top half of the SEC W to bottom pretty quickly.

4-4 in the sec is where we've pretty much been for the last decade plus so really no change. Dan had one winning record(with Dak).

dawgday166
11-27-2021, 01:25 PM
4-4 in the sec is where we've pretty much been for the last decade plus so really no change. Dan had one winning record(with Dak).

I'm actually gonna correct my previous statement some. We were 3-5 or less 4x in Dano's 9 years. 4-4 four other times and then 6-2 in 2014.

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 01:26 PM
Maybe it just feels worse than it is then. Watching Thursday and Friday, I was honestly really impressed with Arky and shocked at how the EB never felt close after the half.

Dak Holliday
11-27-2021, 01:31 PM
We're tied with Arky & TAM for 3rd in SEC W. Arky has tie breakers against both of us. We have tie-breaker over TAM. We finished 4-4 which equaled all of Dano's year except 2014. We're middle of the pack which is where we normally are.

We are in 5th in the standings if TAMU beats LSU.

dawgday166
11-27-2021, 01:41 PM
We are in 5th in the standings if TAMU beats LSU.

Correct. I missed on that. And TAM will probably beat LSU. Still where we have fluctuated between over last 12 years. We've mostly oscillated between 3rd and 5th most years. JoMo was 4-4 & 3-5 in his 2 years.