PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Our Coach Is The Worst Coach in Rival Games Edition

Coach34
11-26-2021, 11:10 AM
1. First of all- I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving minus the game. Food was ridiculous here as I cooked bacon wraps with thinly sliced ribeye, stuffed jalape?os and zucchini, my famous chicken and dressing...then we also had a couple of turkeys and all the fixings. The old ex in-laws were glad to have me back. I?m sure most of you had great food as well. ?Merica

2. We have the worst coach in rivalry games in the country. 0 for his last 9. It?s hard to be that bad in rivalry games unless your rival is Bama. And even Auburn or LSU can?t do it.

3. We?ve been pretty lucky with the weather this year. Last night that luck ran out. You aren?t going to win very often throwing the ball 58 times in the rain. You are going to have drops. Bad passes that slip. Fewer good catches because WR?s can?t get the grip they need. November is usually bad weather month and we had a very mild one. We shall see what next Nov has in store

4. aGAIN I say- it should worry everyone that our coaching staff believes that Lashley is one of our 5 best offensive linemen. We ran him out there week after week- so our coaches think that. And we knew they were going to sic #7 on him too. When you don?t have a viable run threat to make a quality pass rusher play the run at all- that?s what you get.

5. The drops at the end of the half could have changed momentum- but there is no guarantee we would have done any better afterward. They had us game planned very well and outplayed us. Their pass D was on us all night long. Obviously a dry field would have made a difference- but it is what it is.

6. Mississippi didn?t do anything new offensively and after 2 weeks of prep we didn?t defend it well. We were confused and it showed. On one play they orbit motioned the WR to the right and ran the ball to the left. We had 2 LB?s running toward the right while the RB is gashing us left. Just awful. OM ran the ball 44 times- which what you have to do in that kind of weather.

7. The better QB won last night. They both spin it pretty well. Coral threw it just a little better in the bad conditions sans the bad decision on the Jett pick- but the real difference is Coral can make plays with his legs. That?s a big factor in today?s football. Carr did it a few times yesterday to the Cowboys in big situations. Coral did it to us. Having a statue at QB is slowly being phased out of the game at higher levels. Our QB nearly hurt himself when he tried to run. He did have a nice 14 yard rumble and slide in the 2nd half which got him to 4 yards rushing for the game.

8. Onside kicking with 7:30 left in the game when we had just scored and gotten some momentum was absolutely stupid. The onside kick is a low percentage play- especially when the other teams know you are doing it. The surprise onside is the only reason the recover number is as high as it is compared to attempts. You had to give your D one more chance with 7-plus mins left. Terrible call.

9. Some of guys that could leave didn?t do thru Sr day and that was good to hear. I wasn?t surprised Heath did.

10. Keep recruiting. This class is making a climb in the rankings. Got to find a couple of OL guys in the portal. Roster numbers have to fit so look for some roster changeover of course. And of course- the coaching carousel begins tomorrow night. Dominoes will start falling which will influence recruiting and the portal.

Anything ****ing year of hearing the Shitbirds squawk. Ugh. Hail State

SDDawg
11-26-2021, 11:16 AM
Yah, gonna be a long offseason and a long 2022. Even if this team improves the record won't. Need to hope for Kiffin to get leave / get canned or more OM probation seasons for us to get back to decent. 4 - 6 in the past 10 years of Egg Bowls. Inexcusable, should be 7 - 3 over that period given what we had to work with.

memsu06
11-26-2021, 11:17 AM
Considering most here didn't see any way for us to make 7 wins much less to a bowl game after the Memphis loss I say we still had a dang good season. We could have easily had 2 more wins and possibly 3. They'll learn from this and the next few years will be interesting for us.

The schedule next year is brutal though.

Coach34
11-26-2021, 11:26 AM
Considering most here didn't see any way for us to make 7 wins much less to a bowl game after the Memphis loss I say we still had a dang good season. We could have easily had 2 more wins and possibly 3. They'll learn from this and the next few years will be interesting for us.

Agree it was a successful season and progress over last year. Doesn’t make last night any less disappointing tho.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 11:28 AM

To me it’s the tortoise and the hare. Kiffin hit the ground running because he has the top q b in the country who is also the best dual running threat out there and a match up nightmare.

Leach is building from the ground up. Kiffin is making a big hit now to promote himself for another job. Leach is here for the long haul.

State will be good and have a great offense. The argument of “the air raid can’t work in the sec” is moot at this point.

You have some power I fans who will just have to learn over time what the deal is. This same thing happened at Tech. The good ole boys wanted a power run game and hated that leach wouldn’t,punt. Most of them were won over with time.

DeltaSwamp
11-26-2021, 11:29 AM
This year was one of progress, no doubt. Trying hard to remember that this morning.

Last night is still a tough pill to swallow. Really thought our offense was riding high after Awburn and would be able to light them up. Still can't wrap my head around that performance - rain be damned.

BeardoMSU
11-26-2021, 11:33 AM
Agree it was a successful season and progress over last year. Doesn’t make last night any less disappointing tho.

Exactly. Both things can be correct.

HoopsDawg
11-26-2021, 11:36 AM

Next year there is no Vandy and no Charles Cross. Scary.

It's unreal to me watching Ole Miss play #7 that wide and we can't do anything with the run inside of him. Painful.

NCDawg
11-26-2021, 11:40 AM
This year was one of progress, no doubt. Trying hard to remember that this morning.

Last night is still a tough pill to swallow. Really thought our offense was riding high after Awburn and would be able to light them up. Still can't wrap my head around that performance - rain be damned.

The offense wasn't the best-that's true, but we had a couple of DB's that didn't seem to want to be out there. Very poor tackling. Ole Miss was a tougher team. Example-their RB, no. 24, knocked our no.12 back into the endzone when he tried to tackle him.

redstickdawg
11-26-2021, 11:44 AM
Next year there is no Vandy and no Charles Cross. Scary.

It's unreal to me watching Ole Miss play #7 that wide and we can't do anything with the run inside of him. Painful.

that was one of many things that just left me wondering about our coaching last night, they were lining up the DE's 3-5 yards outside and we still didn't try to run up the middle. No help for lashly as he was getting beat on most plays, either holding or giving up a sack. What were the coaches thinking?

We've had progress in general, but we have had major steps backwards that are head scratchers and last night was one of them.

Bothrops
11-26-2021, 11:47 AM
We need to get Tulu involved in a run play or two because he is not going to get the ball enough returning and catching. He is quick and fast which is extremely rare combo at State.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 11:48 AM
that was one of many things that just left me wondering about our coaching last night, they were lining up the DE's 3-5 yards outside and we still didn't try to run up the middle. No help for lashly as he was getting beat on most plays, either holding or giving up a sack. What were the coaches thinking?

We've had progress in general, but we have had major steps backwards that are head scratchers and last night was one of them.
Also on defense they would constantly swing a back or receiver out wide rather than attack the middle of the defense. I did not see an adjustment for this.

Tater
11-26-2021, 11:51 AM
The write-ups are longer and the coffee is stronger when we lose because that's all that some on this board care about. Being right.

It's interesting to note that your write-up only talks about plays that happened once OM took the lead. Don't give me the Cowboys game was still on excuse. I was at AT&T and watched every snap of the Egg Bowl on my phone because we have the technology and the service is good enough.

The back-breaking was three-fold. The TD drive for OM in the first half followed our first missed FG. Whether you want to blame the 3rd & 7 / 2nd & 22 conversions on holding or not is up to you. Scott Lashley should have paid attention and adapted. Dak said postgame it's what the Cowboys didn't do, adapt to reffing. Regardless, the 3rd & 8 run that same drive was more inexcusable. Then 3rd & 1 from the 6, we let them run it up the middle 4 times and score. That can't happen. Not when we've talked about having such a stout run defense.

Then the next offensive drive for us, feinting injuries for Ole Miss reared it's head. There's no rule against it, so we should have known that bush league strategy was coming. And then we turn around and drop 3 passes (idc what you say about this offense. 3 straight red zone plays were TDs and we flat dropped them.) And of course it capped it off with a missed FG.

All 3 phases of the game failed absolutely royally there. Then mentally we quit and didn't try until Jett Johnson got lucky Corral got lax. Say what you will, but this team has a young team problem of quitting when they get punched in the mouth and things don't go their way. The buck falls on Leach with that; however, that is a vast improvement over the last 3 years in that regard. Take another step forward here next year and 10-2 is on the table for us.

Coach34
11-26-2021, 11:54 AM

Haha- I got censured last night after about my 5th “RTGDF”. When we were inside the 15 and they showed a beautiful behind the offense view of the 3 man from with extra wide 9’s- and didn’t run- I knew we were unlikely to win. That was on the 3 TD drop possession before half also. That’s the difference in being 7-5 and maybe 10-2 in my opinion. We have to be able to run the ball some. We just do.

Santiago
11-26-2021, 11:57 AM
We should have had at least 21 points in the first half. Would have been up 21-10 at the least and all the momentum.
TSUN could smell blood after that half time stop with us dropping the ball, missing FG.

I thought missing that corner throw with Polk was just as huge early one. Would have been 10-3, and momentum for sure.
Corral at that point was impatient, and being behind would have only made him worse.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-26-2021, 11:59 AM
My fear is that Leach doesn?t seem to be someone who makes adjustments and would rather lose his way than make a change.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 12:01 PM
The write-ups are longer and the coffee is stronger when we lose because that's all that some on this board care about. Being right.

It's interesting to note that your write-up only talks about plays that happened once OM took the lead. Don't give me the Cowboys game was still on excuse. I was at AT&T and watched every snap of the Egg Bowl on my phone because we have the technology and the service is good enough.

The back-breaking was three-fold. The TD drive for OM in the first half followed our first missed FG. Whether you want to blame the 3rd & 7 / 2nd & 22 conversions on holding or not is up to you. Scott Lashley should have paid attention and adapted. Dak said postgame it's what the Cowboys didn't do, adapt to reffing. Regardless, the 3rd & 8 run that same drive was more inexcusable. Then 3rd & 1 from the 6, we let them run it up the middle 4 times and score. That can't happen. Not when we've talked about having such a stout run defense.

Then the next offensive drive for us, feinting injuries for Ole Miss reared it's head. There's no rule against it, so we should have known that bush league strategy was coming. And then we turn around and drop 3 passes (idc what you say about this offense. 3 straight red zone plays were TDs and we flat dropped them.) And of course it capped it off with a missed FG.

All 3 phases of the game failed absolutely royally there. Then mentally we quit and didn't try until Jett Johnson got lucky Corral got lax. Say what you will, but this team has a young team problem of quitting when they get punched in the mouth and things don't go their way. The buck falls on Leach with that; however, that is a vast improvement over the last 3 years in that regard. Take another step forward here next year and 10-2 is on the table for us.
Good post

I see the same thing. Much of it is mental.

Rather than be focused on the game and playing with determination, we looked like a deer in the headlights who really got shook up and didn’t believe in ourselves. That’s what you see with freshman who have never been there before. Look on the other side of the ball.....ole miss has mostly seniors on defense, Williams, Campbell, grad transfers and senior safety’s. They are a grizzled veteran team.

We are young, not mentally tough and just choked on the big stage. Yea the coach’s have to get em prepared to play but there’s an,old football saying , the best thing about freshman is they will be sophomores.

And the narrative that Matt Corrall,is just another q b is a joke, There is not a. Tougher matchup in the country because of his legs. He is a better runner at q b than I’ve seen in a while. 3rdmand long, 4th and long and he runs for twenty just breaks your back.

One other th8ng is, as much as I like will, there will be a qbs who have strong arms and can avoid the sack that will add new dimensions to the air raid. Locke will be a guy that will have a very high ceiling.

parabrave
11-26-2021, 12:07 PM

Because Leach doesn't make adjustments. Kiffen did. Everybody knew before the game that we had to keep a RB in to help Lashey, but he left him out there on an island. Against Kentucky we did keep a RB in and that really showed. Why we didn't last night befuddles anyone who knows anything about football. And when we couldn't catch the FB in the redzone the inside handoff was wide open and thats on Will.

HoopsDawg
11-26-2021, 12:08 PM
Haha- I got censured last night after about my 5th “RTGDF”. When we were inside the 15 and they showed a beautiful behind the offense view of the 3 man from with extra wide 9’s- and didn’t run- I knew we were unlikely to win. That was on the 3 TD drop possession before half also. That’s the difference in being 7-5 and maybe 10-2 in my opinion. We have to be able to run the ball some. We just do.

Just when Leach starts to suck me in......

ImissCityBagel
11-26-2021, 12:09 PM
My fear is that Leach doesn?t seem to be someone who makes adjustments and would rather lose his way than make a change.

Remember one of our previous coaches that threw 500 times in the rain and didn't make adjustments to his system?

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 12:12 PM
When you are at the fifteen it doesn’t matter if you run it in or pass it in. The fact that wide receivers dropped three wide open easy touchdowns means the right play was called, the execution was very poor.

They choked. We lack maturity and mental toughness.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 12:16 PM
Exactly. Both things can be correct.

Yep and they are.

BeardoMSU
11-26-2021, 12:18 PM
Yep and they are.

Indeed.

Coach34
11-26-2021, 12:24 PM
When you are at the fifteen it doesn’t matter if you run it in or pass it in. The fact that wide receivers dropped three wide open easy touchdowns means the right play was called, the execution was very poor.

They choked. We lack maturity and mental toughness.

They didn’t choke. 7 didn’t find the ball quick enough on the ball that bounced off his helmet. Because of the wet conditions- we dropped the other two. Griffin’s ball was high and the wet conditions made it a tougher catch. On the 1st play- 7 let the ball get to his wet forearm and it skipped on thru.

They were leaving the middle wide open to run the ball. It’s an easier, safer way in wet conditions to gain ground. It’s pretty simple. Throwing the ball 58 times in the rain is not going to win many games. It’s pretty simple logic and not hard to grasp unless you just want to be obstinate.

We’ve had problems kicking all year. It’s to be expected. Especially in the rain when it’s harder for footing and the ball is heavier for retaining water. Mississippi ran the ball more effectively and got TD’s. We didn’t and got FG attempts. It’s not rocket surgery

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 12:25 PM
Indeed.

A good season with lots of progress and lots of promise for the future, with a big ol turd at the end. Glad we got a bowl game to get more reps and get another win to get momentum for next year.

basedog
11-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Just when Leach starts to suck me in......

+1
I feel the same way!

Catfish
11-26-2021, 12:32 PM
We played the #9 team in the country.

basedog
11-26-2021, 12:32 PM
A good season with lots of progress and lots of promise for the future, with a big ol turd at the end. Glad we got a bowl game to get more reps and get another win to get momentum for next year.

I'd say the season was an improvement. Last night was bad we didn't run the ball with the weather and their extra wide splits on defense. The better team won last night.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 12:35 PM
I'd say the season was an improvement. Last night was bad we didn't run the ball with the weather and their extra wide splits on defense. The better team won last night.

Yep definite improvement this year. We had our chances last night and didn't take advantage when we could've. Can't do that against good teams and they didn't miss on theirs.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 12:35 PM
They didn?t choke. 7 didn?t find the ball quick enough on the ball that bounced off his helmet. Because of the wet conditions- we dropped the other two. Griffin?s ball was high and the wet conditions made it a tougher catch. On the 1st play- 7 let the ball get to his wet forearm and it skipped on thru.

They were leaving the middle wide open to run the ball. It?s an easier, safer way in wet conditions to gain ground. It?s pretty simple. Throwing the ball 58 times in the rain is not going to win many games. It?s pretty simple logic and not hard to grasp unless you just want to be obstinate.

We?ve had problems kicking all year. It?s to be expected. Especially in the rain when it?s harder for footing and the ball is heavier for retaining water. Mississippi ran the ball more effectively and got TD?s. We didn?t and got FG attempts. It?s not rocket surgery

So they dropped all three tds because the rain ? Is that why we missed two field goals too ? Why didn?t the rain affect ole miss receivers ?

I think there was an obvious mental focus problem. Lack of execution, young players on the big stage.

Coach34
11-26-2021, 12:50 PM
We played the #9 team in the country.

Just like in 2014 when they played the #4 team in the country at home

bluelightstar
11-26-2021, 01:08 PM
Just like in 2014 when they played the #4 team in the country at home

It's funny how it went from "Ole Miss is overrated, we'll win easily" to "what do you expect -- they're a top 10 team."

msudawg1200
11-26-2021, 01:10 PM
8. Onside kicking with 7:30 left in the game when we had just scored and gotten some momentum was absolutely stupid. The onside kick is a low percentage play- especially when the other teams know you are doing it. The surprise onside is the only reason the recover number is as high as it is compared to attempts. You had to give your D one more chance with 7-plus mins left. Terrible call.

This made zero sense to me. Really, really bad decision. I wasn't even thinking about an onside kick and was like WTH?

NCDawg
11-26-2021, 01:15 PM
We should have had at least 21 points in the first half. Would have been up 21-10 at the least and all the momentum.
TSUN could smell blood after that half time stop with us dropping the ball, missing FG.

I thought missing that corner throw with Polk was just as huge early one. Would have been 10-3, and momentum for sure.
Corral at that point was impatient, and being behind would have only made him worse.

I agree that missing that corner throw to Polk, wide open, was a killer. Rogers doesn't usually miss like that. 2 missed F/G's, dropped 3 TD's at the end of of the first half, terrible tackling by our D/B's. Just wasn't our night.

Coach34
11-26-2021, 01:18 PM
So they dropped all three tds because the rain ? Is that why we missed two field goals too ? Why didn?t the rain affect ole miss receivers ?

I think there was an obvious mental focus problem. Lack of execution, young players on the big stage.

Mississippi had a couple of drops also- one of a big 3rd down that killed a drive

MetEdDawg
11-26-2021, 01:19 PM
7. The better QB won last night. They both spin it pretty well. Coral threw it just a little better in the bad conditions sans the bad decision on the Jett pick- but the real difference is Coral can make plays with his legs. That?s a big factor in today?s football. Carr did it a few times yesterday to the Cowboys in big situations. Coral did it to us. Having a statue at QB is slowly being phased out of the game at higher levels. Our QB nearly hurt himself when he tried to run. He did have a nice 14 yard rumble and slide in the 2nd half which got him to 4 yards rushing for the game.

Out of all the points, the absolute biggest issue I have is #7. I don't care if we throw it 55 times a game but why in the world Leach doesn't look for someone with some mobility is beyond me.

Will looks like Peyton Manning when he runs. That can't happen. We've got to have that added dimension to take the legs of the QB and beat some of the drop 8 when we are covered.

That was absolutely the game changer for ON last night. We actually played pretty well on the back end. But Corral used his legs to get out of busted or well covered plays a ton.

dawgday166
11-26-2021, 01:22 PM

This made zero sense to me. Really, really bad decision. I wasn't even thinking about an onside kick and was like WTH?

Yea ... that was dumb and I was wondering myself WTF Leach was thinking there.

basedog
11-26-2021, 01:22 PM

It's who Leach is, it was kinda surprising and not a good call.

dawgday166
11-26-2021, 01:23 PM
Out of all the points, the absolute biggest issue I have is #7. I don't care if we throw it 55 times a game but why in the world Leach doesn't look for someone with some mobility is beyond me.

Will looks like Peyton Manning when he runs. That can't happen. We've got to have that added dimension to take the legs of the QB and beat some of the drop 8 when we are covered.

That was absolutely the game changer for ON last night. We actually played pretty well on the back end. But Corral used his legs to get out of busted or well covered plays a ton.

I'd probably say more like Brady than Peyton. Either one tho have won a shitload of NFL games. And Brady still is.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Mississippi had a couple of drops also- one of a big 3rd down that killed a drive

Yeah they had 4 drops total although there's wasn't in the end zone. Did kill one drive as you said and Mingo had nothing but grass in front of him too.

Coach34
11-26-2021, 01:34 PM
I'd probably say more like Brady than Peyton. Either one tho have won a shitload of NFL games. And Brady still is.

Yeah but those guys are fewer and fewer. Look at today’s QB’s in the NFL- most of them are somewhat mobile.

Dak
Jackson
Mahomes
Allen
Rodgers
Herbert
Hurts
Burrow
Wilson

It’s now the norm that your QB can move in the NFL.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 01:35 PM
Yeah they had 4 drops total although there's wasn't in the end zone. Did kill one drive as you said and Mingo had nothing but grass in front of him too.

Ole Miss executed we did not. The ball,should never hit you in the face mask. The drops were inexcusable. And yes it sucked the life out of our team.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 01:37 PM
Ole Miss executed we did not. The ball,should never hit you in the face mask. The drops were inexcusable. And yes it sucked the life out of our team.

I agree, those were missed opportunities that could've changed the whole game.

dawgday166
11-26-2021, 01:39 PM
Yeah but those guys are fewer and fewer. Look at today’s QB’s in the NFL- most of them are somewhat mobile.

Dak
Jackson
Mahomes
Allen
Rodgers
Herbert
Hurts
Burrow
Wilson

It’s now the norm that your QB can move in the NFL.

Not arguing and I wish Will could run better too. But I wouldn't thumb my nose at a Tom Brady type either.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 01:44 PM
Not arguing and I wish Will could run better too. But I wouldn't thumb my nose at a Tom Brady type either.

Brady while not being a runner is very mobile inside the pocket and his feet are quick and he's agile, and buys time when needed. Of course he is the goat so that helps lol

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Will is pretty unique. He has abnormally slow feet and a weak arm. But he can make good quick decisions and run the offense well. I think you have to stay with him because he keeps getting better, but I’ve watched a lot of air raid q bs and his lack of mobility might be the worst. It puts extra pressure on the o,line. He doesn’t ever need to be a runner but he’s got to be able to make a pass rusher Miss on occasion and buy a little time.

Someone like Locke or Sawyer will give you a different look.

dawgday166
11-26-2021, 01:52 PM
Brady while not being a runner is very mobile inside the pocket and his feet are quick and he's agile, and buys time when needed. Of course he is the goat so that helps lol

I agree and believe Will can improve there. Will he ever run like Dak or Fitz ... no. But I think Will can become better in the pocket with more reps and experience too.

MetEdDawg
11-26-2021, 02:04 PM

When you can't bring in consistent OL play to MSU, a non mobile QB makes no sense to me personally, especially if you throw it 50+ times a game.

The two greatest QBs of all time were about the slowest QBs of all time. They made up for it with elite IQ and good OL play. In this offense I think Will has pretty good IQ. If we had Cross and Sharp type guys at all 5 OL positions we could get away with statue QBs. But we don't get that at MSU. Relf, Dak and Fitz were responsible for some of the most memorable rushing TDs we've had over the last 15 years. That mobility element, not reliance but element or piece, could really elevate this offense.

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 02:10 PM
When you can't bring in consistent OL play to MSU, a non mobile QB makes no sense to me personally, especially if you throw it 50+ times a game.

The two greatest QBs of all time were about the slowest QBs of all time. They made up for it with elite IQ and good OL play. In this offense I think Will has pretty good IQ. If we had Cross and Sharp type guys at all 5 OL positions we could get away with statue QBs. But we don't get that at MSU. Relf, Dak and Fitz were responsible for some of the most memorable rushing TDs we've had over the last 15 years. That mobility element, not reliance but element or piece, could really elevate this offense.
If you watched Gardner Minshew, he had an uncanny pocket presence and could feel the rush. Not a running q b but quick feet that was damm hard to sack. That’s a Huge value to a team and takes a lot of pressure off the o line.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 02:12 PM

It definitely would give us an extra dimension for sure. I am really interested to see what kind of strides we make over the off season.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2021, 02:13 PM
If you watched Gardner Minshew, he had an uncanny pocket presence and could feel the rush. Not a running q b but quick feet that was damm hard to sack. That’s a Huge value to a team and takes a lot of pressure off the o line.

Exactly

LC Dawg
11-26-2021, 02:28 PM
I thought the tone for the game was set on our first drive. Kiffin went for it on 4th down at our 34 and we stopped them. Then our offense didn't make them pay for it and we settled for a fg. Ole Miss's defense gained a lot of confidence on that first drive and our offense never really settled in.

R2Dawg
11-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Haha- I got censured last night after about my 5th ?RTGDF?. When we were inside the 15 and they showed a beautiful behind the offense view of the 3 man from with extra wide 9?s- and didn?t run- I knew we were unlikely to win. That was on the 3 TD drop possession before half also. That?s the difference in being 7-5 and maybe 10-2 in my opinion. We have to be able to run the ball some. We just do.

Yep I said it last night. 1st and goal at the 5. 4 downs to get in, we were running it good too. No excuse not to just punch it in. Any football team has to be able to do that. After the redzone debacle the whole first half, that last possession was like the one at Auburn but we chocked.

R2Dawg
11-26-2021, 04:32 PM
I thought the tone for the game was set on our first drive. Kiffin went for it on 4th down at our 34 and we stopped them. Then our offense didn't make them pay for it and we settled for a fg. Ole Miss's defense gained a lot of confidence on that first drive and our offense never really settled in.

Agree. Our D came out with some fire. They kept us in the game the whole first half but our O was MIA.

Question is when will we play 4 quarters of football? Don't think I've seen one yet under Leach.

OLJWales
11-26-2021, 04:38 PM
With cowboys, Leach and Howland, my turkey was stuffed with shit with a side order of cock samich. Worst TG EVAH.

Hypnodawg
11-26-2021, 04:53 PM
I've seen toddlers more mobile than Rogers. He literally tackled himself trying to walk 4 ft

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 04:58 PM
I've seen toddlers more mobile than Rogers. He literally tackled himself trying to walk 4 ft

I’m an old man and I don’t think will could outrun me

lastmajordog
11-26-2021, 05:41 PM
Excellent informative post as usual C34....Thanks for your insight......

99jc
11-26-2021, 07:11 PM
Excellent informative post as usual C34....Thanks for your insight......

He lacked insight when he bet on State to win ---I love MSU as much as anyone but my instinct said ole miss and corral for $500 ALEX.

BeardoMSU
11-26-2021, 07:23 PM
If you watched Gardner Minshew, he had an uncanny pocket presence and could feel the rush. Not a running q b but quick feet that was damm hard to sack. That?s a Huge value to a team and takes a lot of pressure off the o line.

This. Exactly the point many, including in this thread, have been making all season. Saying you need a "mobile QB" doesn't mean a "running QB". Will needs to work on his footwork and pocket awareness this offseason. He also needs to see the field better underneath, i.e., when he's waiting for something to open up downfield, but there is a red carpet in front of him to easily pick up 8+ yards then slide he should take it. That should be a part of the offense just like RB check down is.

MoreCowbell
11-26-2021, 07:31 PM
If I am Will I am finding the best speed/agility/strength trainer there is and working on nothing but pocket movement and getting my legs stronger and becoming as agile as possible. If he can add that element to his game the sky is the limit. We dont need him to be Lamar Jackson we just need him to be able to extend the play and be able to pick up 3/4 yards when there is plenty of grass ahead of him. Right now, he is about as immobile as it gets.

MoreCowbell
11-26-2021, 07:32 PM
He lacked insight when he bet on State to win ---I love MSU as much as anyone but my instinct said ole miss and corral for $500 ALEX.

Hey Confucius

WhiskeyPirate
11-26-2021, 07:35 PM
If I am Will I am finding the best speed/agility/strength trainer there is and working on nothing but pocket movement and getting my legs stronger and becoming as agile as possible. If he can add that element to his game the sky is the limit. We dont need him to be Lamar Jackson we just need him to be able to extend the play and be able to pick up 3/4 yards when there is plenty of grass ahead of him. Right now, he is about as immobile as it gets.

I was thinking the same thing. He looks like he has never touched a weight in his life. They should have working with a speed coach, sprints lifting weights, there’s a definite skill to avoiding a rush.

BeardoMSU
11-26-2021, 07:37 PM

This.

Dak Holliday
11-26-2021, 07:40 PM

Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

bulldawg28
11-27-2021, 07:09 AM
The irony is Washington state beat Washington yesterday after Leach leaves lol. Maybe it takes no head coach to beat Washington.

Dawgface
11-27-2021, 08:32 AM

Yep.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2021, 11:20 AM
The irony is Washington state beat Washington yesterday after Leach leaves lol. Maybe it takes no head coach to beat Washington.

WSU has some Leach players left, and they circled the wagons. That UW team is probably the worst UW team in forty years.

In 2018 when Leachs 11-2 team played in a blizzard against UW, that UW team lost by 5 to ohiomstate in the rose bowl and had a ton of nfl players. Right now they are circling the drain. I was glad to see WSU and kids leach coached and recruited win.