PDA

View Full Version : Can 78 block 7?

Schultzy
11-22-2021, 10:17 AM
We need this to happen, or get him some help over there with backs chipping. Early in this game we need to complete the quick hitters I think.

klong-dog
11-22-2021, 10:25 AM
Absolutely. Or will be like Will Anderson all over again.

lastmajordog
11-22-2021, 10:40 AM
Questions considering it will be a wet field and or raining. What scenarios benefit what positions?
1. Receivers making their route cuts have advantage traditionally.
2. Off lineman pass blocking, run blocking?
3. Rb?s making cuts in backfield, downfield?
4. Passing is more difficult, but not impossible for short passes especially IMO.
5. Longer field goals more difficult.
6. Fumbles, what team is more susceptible?
What?s your take?

Dawgology
11-22-2021, 10:46 AM
He will definitely need help. Ole Miss is going to attack that side and play up on the flats to stop the dump off pass that we use when pressures. I trust Leach will have the team ready for it. Either way?you can?t deny that this team took MASSIVE strides this year. 8-4 or 7-5 we are going bowling, getting extra practice, and looking stout for next year. I?m PUMPED!!!

PikeDawg15
11-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Is it Possible to move the game to put a roof on the stadium, I know a few guys. If anyone wants to come help that would be nice

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2021, 11:08 AM
He will definitely need help. Ole Miss is going to attack that side and play up on the flats to stop the dump off pass that we use when pressures. I trust Leach will have the team ready for it. Either way?you can?t deny that this team took MASSIVE strides this year. 8-4 or 7-5 we are going bowling, getting extra practice, and looking stout for next year. I?m PUMPED!!!

I really don't believe they have the speed at LB to be able to cover our dump offs to Johnson and Marks. This means either they'll have to play Cover 2 which opens up our crossing routes or they'll have to run heavy blitzes at us. I don't think they can play Drop 8 on us and find success.

FISHDAWG
11-22-2021, 11:08 AM
We need this to happen, or get him some help over there with backs chipping. Early in this game we need to complete the quick hitters I think.

I see several holding calls coming our way .... and throw in a few false starts

msstate7
11-22-2021, 11:16 AM
I see several holding calls coming our way .... and throw in a few false starts

Basically drive killers

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 11:23 AM
We handled "studs" on a few defenses better than ole miss's this season.

Some of y'all need to calm your tits.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 11:30 AM

I think it's a fair question. Williams is 2nd in the sec in sacks behind Anderson, who destroyed us. They have 3 guys in the top 7 in sacks in sec, so protection is basically my only concern for our offense. I think we score plenty though unless it's a monsoon

Percho
11-22-2021, 11:34 AM

I'm with you fellers.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 11:36 AM
I think it's a fair question. Williams is 2nd in the sec in sacks behind Anderson, who destroyed us. They have 3 guys in the top 7 in sacks in sec, so protection is basically my only concern for our offense. I think we score plenty though unless it's a monsoon

So ole miss's defense is Alabama quality now?

Y'all quite the hand wringing.

Percho
11-22-2021, 11:38 AM
All you need to do is give running back on Williams 4 0r 5 times in a row. LB's will think that is what you are going to do and will begin to drop deeper, then you do not give help, slide pass Williams and hit the running back for big gains.

msstate7

Are you drunk? This thread was about one player blocking another.

Saltydog
I don't think so........Williams is disruptive for sure and by far their best DL........If only we had some semblance of a TE in this offense......

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 11:48 AM
Are you drunk? This thread was about one player blocking another.

No this thread about people finding something else to bitch about. And as usual you're right in the middle with your pessimism.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2021, 11:55 AM

Yep we've faced them all year long.

Maverick91
11-22-2021, 12:08 PM
This is 78's coming out party. Everything clicks this week, when he wants to block he can. He played really well the second half of Auburn and has done well in other games, if he can put his crap together this game, not saying it will be easy for him. But, dang you don't get the grade he got coming out of high school for no reason. I do think we give him some help, but, overall he holds his own.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 12:13 PM
No this thread about people finding something else to bitch about. And as usual you're right in the middle with your pessimism.

They're talking about the only POTENTIAL issue our offense faces this Thursday.

FISHDAWG
11-22-2021, 12:13 PM

we have all seen what Rogers can do with time to operate back there and we have also seen what happens when he doesn't .... Like 7 said - it's a fair question

NCDawg
11-22-2021, 12:24 PM
This is 78's coming out party. Everything clicks this week, when he wants to block he can. He played really well the second half of Auburn and has done well in other games, if he can put his crap together this game, not saying it will be easy for him. But, dang you don't get the grade he got coming out of high school for no reason. I do think we give him some help, but, overall he holds his own.

Except in the Auburn game when Auburn's no. 99 blew right past him and clobbered Rogers. Fortunately, he was called for targeting and got thrown out of the game.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 12:26 PM
They're talking about the only POTENTIAL issue our offense faces this Thursday.

Don't mind me, man. Please continue with the hand wringing about a "potential" problem against an OL that has gotten better and better every week.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 12:28 PM
Don't mind me, man. Please continue with the hand wringing about a "potential" problem against an OL that has gotten better and better every week.

What's your score prediction? Obviously you think we won't be challenged at all.

I think it's gonna be 42-38 one way or the other, really good game

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 12:29 PM
we have all seen what Rogers can do with time to operate back there and we have also seen what happens when he doesn't .... Like 7 said - it's a fair question

Y'all act like Will and the OL haven't faced guys like Sam Williams already. We gonna be okay.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 12:31 PM
What's your score prediction? Obviously you think we won't be challenged at all.

I think it's gonna be 42-38 one way or the other, really good game

I'm sorry that I won't participate in your early pity party.

I've never said we won't be challenged. Have you not watched a game?

We are ****ing challenged every game!

msstate7
11-22-2021, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry that I won't participate in your early pity party.

I've never said we won't be challenged. Have you not watched a game?

We are ****ing challenged every game!

Well you seem to be mad bc someone questioned blocking a great pass rusher.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 12:41 PM
Well you seem to be mad bc someone questioned blocking a great pass rusher.

He's not the only "great pass rusher" we've come across.

Let me just say I'm not as worried as some y'all seem to be.

viverlibre
11-22-2021, 12:42 PM
Two of my biggest concerns:

1. Our D leaving the middle of the field open
2. Will holding the ball too long

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-22-2021, 12:43 PM
I hate the sharks so bad, I?m always a pessimist when playing them. Why is that? Is it that I don?t want to be disappointed so I keep expectations low? Lol

msstate7
11-22-2021, 12:45 PM
Two of my biggest concerns:

1. Our D leaving the middle of the field open
2. Will holding the ball too long

66 on sps brought up their ability to strip the ball. I looked it up, and they're #1 in sec at forced fumbles. Gotta hang on to ball

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 12:48 PM
66 on sps brought up their ability to strip the ball. I looked it up, and they're #1 in sec at forced fumbles. Gotta hang on to ball

Now THAT worries me more. I really think we can handle Williams but causing turnovers from strips could seriously change the game. I want some sustained drives and Corral on the sideline thinking about the NFL.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 12:54 PM
Now THAT worries me more. I really think we can handle Williams but causing turnovers from strips could seriously change the game. I want some sustained drives and Corral on the sideline thinking about the NFL.

Both teams are gonna score a ton. The game will be decided by a TO, 4th down stop, or ST play imo

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 12:59 PM
Both teams are gonna score a ton. The game will be decided by a TO, 4th down stop, or ST play imo

If we stop Kiffin on one of his infamous 4th down plays to win the game I'll laugh my ass off.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 01:03 PM
If we stop Kiffin on one of his infamous 4th down plays to win the game I'll laugh my ass off.

He goes entirely too much. He let us hang around last year bc he kept going for it on 4th

R2Dawg
11-22-2021, 01:07 PM

Trap, why you got to be such a control freak? Can people not have a discussion about a legit issue in upcoming game?

Another question is if we are getting sacked what does Leach do? So far, same ole, same ole. Got to chip block with RB. We did nothing on Bama.

LC Dawg
11-22-2021, 01:25 PM
Williams is definitely a concern.
Another concern to me is that Kentucky had success with calling out or clapping our snap count and the Egg Bowl is our first meaningful home game since then so I would think Ole Miss would also try it.

defiantdog
11-22-2021, 01:26 PM
57 will help a lot in blocking. Dude has been on a tear lately. Ball control will decide this game. If we can hold onto it long enough and keep their offense off the field, we'll be good. They will get their quick strikes, but we have to control the tempo.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 01:33 PM
Trap, why you got to be such a control freak? Can people not have a discussion about a legit issue in upcoming game?

Another question is if we are getting sacked what does Leach do? So far, same ole, same ole. Got to chip block with RB. We did nothing on Bama.

My apologies R2. I get a little triggered some times. But, we've come a long way since Bama.

Cowbell
11-22-2021, 01:34 PM
This is a legitimate concern. We just watched Dak get destroyed by one guy. Especially with our splits in no TEs this is an area of concern

HoopsDawg
11-22-2021, 02:07 PM

Will Anderson destroyed our offense nearly by himself. It's a valid concern.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 02:17 PM

Sigh.

Y'all think Sam Williams is a Will Anderson?

We've come a long way since Bama.

Auburn or A&M ain't got a Sam Williams?

I understand being concerned but some of y'all are making him out to be some kind of unstoppable Boogey Man.

BiscuitEater
11-22-2021, 02:19 PM

Subtract OM's OOC sacks and get back to me!

They played 4 cupcakes!

msstate7
11-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Subtract OM's OOC sacks and get back to me!

They played 4 cupcakes!

4th in sec in conf only games

Cowbell
11-22-2021, 02:39 PM
4th in sec in conf only games

That fact so many here are trying to make excuses for this not being a concern, makes me think it's going to be a big concern

bulldawg28
11-22-2021, 03:16 PM
This is a legitimate concern. We just watched Dak get destroyed by one guy. Especially with our splits in no TEs this is an area of concern

Uhhhh...He's no Chris Jones my friend. The impact from defensive end to DT is totally different. Always, he'll be another DE on the schedule imo. The team will adjust if needed and continue scoring.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2021, 03:21 PM
Uhhhh...He's no Chris Jones my friend. The impact from defensive end to DT is totally different. Always, he'll be another DE on the schedule imo. The team will adjust if needed and continue scoring.

Bingo! Thank you.

thf24
11-22-2021, 03:25 PM
Sam Williams has 4.5 sacks in conference play. He's not Will Anderson. Other than Alabama we haven't been sacked more than three times in a game, and we've only been sacked more than the opponent's team average twice, while dropping back more times than anyone else by a long shot. It would be nice if Leach does have a plan if Williams does start going off on Lashley, but overall I don't see the reason for a preemptive freakout.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2021, 03:30 PM
Sam Williams has 4.5 sacks in conference play. He's not Will Anderson. Other than Alabama we haven't been sacked more than three times in a game, and we've only been sacked more than the opponent's team average twice, while dropping back more times than anyone else by a long shot. It would be nice if Leach does have a plan if Williams does start going off on Lashley, but overall I don't see the reason for a preemptive freakout.

Good stuff. There were many on here who said our ol would be wrecked by, auburn, arky, uk, am, lsu, nc state etc. hasn't happened yet and I don't believe om has the dl those teams have. Sure anything could happen Thursday night but outside of Will Anderson no ones done it yet.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 03:41 PM

I haven't saw anyone freaking out here. 4.5 in conf games only is tied for 3rd. That's pretty good

thf24
11-22-2021, 03:54 PM
I haven't saw anyone freaking out here. 4.5 in conf games only is tied for 3rd. That's pretty good

Call the point of this thread whatever you want. Statistically, it's an overreaction.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 04:01 PM

And he didn't have any sacks vs Vandy. Which makes zero sense. He had like 9 tackles for loss but no sacks.

KOdawg1
11-22-2021, 04:09 PM
And he didn't have any sacks vs Vandy. Which makes zero sense. He had like 9 tackles for loss but no sacks.

9 TFL is still pretty good..

He's a good player. May not be Will Anderson, but him coming off the right side against Lashley is a concern. Doesn't mean anyone is freaking out about it. But we'll have to hope Lashley plays a good game and Will gets rid of the ball quick.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 04:12 PM
9 TFL is still pretty good..

He's a good player. May not be Will Anderson, but him coming off the right side against Lashley is a concern. Doesn't mean anyone is freaking out about it. But we'll have to hope Lashley plays a good game and Will gets rid of the ball quick.

Trap worded that wrong or something... Williams didn't have 9 TFL against vandy. I would be worried if that were the case haha

Maverick91
11-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Trap worded that wrong or something... Williams didn't have 9 TFL against vandy. I would be worried if that were the case haha

He had zero tackles for loss against vandy.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-22-2021, 04:24 PM

To be fair Will Anderson has destroyed almost every offense he's faced. It's a reason he's getting Heisman talk.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2021, 04:24 PM
To be fair Will Anderson has destroyed almost every offense he's faced. It's a reason he's getting Heisman talk.

Now this is true.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-22-2021, 04:27 PM
If we're being honest, outside of the Bama game Lashley blocking hasnt been bad. He's been penalty prone sometimes but just from a blocking standpoint he hasn't been a turn style but once & that was against a Top 3 pick in the 2023 draft.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 04:30 PM

Shit!

I think it was just 9 tackles. I thought they were TFL. My bad.

Maverick91
11-22-2021, 04:35 PM
Shit!

I think it was just 9 tackles. I thought they were TFL. My bad.

he only had 4 tackles total and 2 qb hurries.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2021, 04:36 PM
If we're being honest, outside of the Bama game Lashley blocking hasnt been bad. He's been penalty prone sometimes but just from a blocking standpoint he hasn't been a turn style but once & that was against a Top 3 pick in the 2023 draft.

Yeah I thought he did a great job on 29 from Auburn who is a heckuva speed rusher. He's definitely improved as the season has progressed and Cole Smith replacing dolla bill has helped trememdously too.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 04:37 PM
he only had 4 tackles total and 2 qb hurries.

Yeah. I read the stats wrong. I went back to ESPN.com and re-read them. But, it says 3 total tackles. I don't know if he played most of the game but looks kind of weak against Vandy.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2021, 04:58 PM
Yeah. I read the stats wrong. I went back to ESPN.com and re-read them. But, it says 3 total tackles. I don't know if he played most of the game but looks kind of weak against Vandy.

He got dinged up in the second half and missed some time.

Cowbell
11-22-2021, 06:58 PM
I think you and many others are missing the point of the thread. There is no reason Chris should have continued to single handedly shut down an offense. Kellen did not adjust at all. Same thing that we did against Bama. The thread is about what you would do if it became a problem. What adjustment you make. This is not a freak out.

Todd4State
11-22-2021, 09:34 PM

I agree. His biggest issue to me is false starts. He may hold a MSU record for that.

basedog
11-22-2021, 10:21 PM
I agree. His biggest issue to me is false starts. He may hold a MSU record for that.

I have no idea about all the starting RT in Sec but he has to be close to last as one of the worse.
He also has many holding calls. Isn't this his 6th, 4 at Bama, sat out last year and this year?

Qwerty
11-23-2021, 04:40 AM

He will win some battles. We will win the war.

yjnkdawg
11-23-2021, 12:01 PM
I haven't read all this thread but since some are freaked out about number 7, I'll add 44, he leads OM in tackles and he has sacks and loss of yardage plays too. He's probably OM best all around defensive player.

Dawgfan77
11-23-2021, 12:24 PM
I hear the staff may petition the NCAA for another year with Lashley.

msstate7
11-26-2021, 08:33 AM
2 sacks, multiple pressures.

Guess this was a concern

smootness
11-26-2021, 08:40 AM
He was abysmal last night.

basedog
11-26-2021, 10:16 AM
He was abysmal last night.

Big time, he was exposed how slow he is, I have a friend who thinks he will be drafted, pretty sure he doesn't think like that today. Finally, we put another RT in the game, makes me think we may have seen the last of him.

Cowbell
11-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Some of our better posters were way off on this. It was obvious it would be a problem and we didn't address it at all.

basedog
11-26-2021, 10:40 AM
Some of our better posters were way off on this. It was obvious it would be a problem and we didn't address it at all.

Our lack of speed is obvious as well.

HoopsDawg
11-26-2021, 11:38 AM
Y'all act like Will and the OL haven't faced guys like Sam Williams already. We gonna be okay.

nice take.

HoopsDawg
11-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Sigh.

Y'all think Sam Williams is a Will Anderson?

We've come a long way since Bama.

Auburn or A&M ain't got a Sam Williams?

I understand being concerned but some of y'all are making him out to be some kind of unstoppable Boogey Man.

nice take.

Dak Holliday
11-26-2021, 02:13 PM
Nope.
This is just a smart ass comment answering the thread?s original question.

Dak Holliday
11-26-2021, 02:16 PM
Of course, Cross struggled against Sam Williams, too. Weather and wide splits definitely helped 7. Plus, his kids were there rooting him on. 😂