PDA

View Full Version : This offseason could be

CadaverDawg
11-21-2021, 08:15 PM
the biggest flip flopping of coaches we've ever seen. When jobs like LsU and Florida open up, it can create a game of musical chairs and leave carnage behind. Can't believe I've done a full 180 this season, but at this point I really REALLY hope Leach doesn't jump ship (pun intended) this off season. There will be some teams scrambling for even a decent coach if they lose theirs...bc in my opinion there aren't many good ones out there right now

chef dixon
11-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Big programs don't want Leach and I get no vibes he's trying to go anywhere unless forced.

msugolf
11-21-2021, 08:45 PM
I?m right there with ya. I feel like Leach would rather be at a school like MState than one of the blue bloods anyways. Or at least I hope so.

MetEdDawg
11-21-2021, 08:50 PM
He's not leaving. Leach is ours and he's got a good thing going. He's not the type to jump around. I doubt he wants that at this juncture.

I would be more concerned about Arnett and Spurrier Jr leaving.

I could very easily see New Mexico and New Mexico State both opening up this offseason and Arnett being sought after for one or both of those jobs to go back home. You might also see Brady Hoke parlay his success at SDSU into the Washington or Washington State job and have SDSU go after Arnett who coached there.

Dak Holliday
11-21-2021, 09:42 PM
This is by far the off-season with the most big name job openings at one time that I can recall. I love how people all know which coaches are or aren?t interested in other jobs- many of these said the same about CDM not leaving, but personally, if you have a big name coach and you?re not a blue blood, I wouldn?t feel safe until hires are all made. Let?s hope Leach?s oddities are too much for most.

Apoplectic
11-21-2021, 09:50 PM
If your coach?s name is listed as a potential for an open job then that means the agent has the green light to shop for a new job.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Nice fat raise and extension already being ironed out for The Pirate. He's not going anywhere.

Dak Holliday
11-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Nice fat raise and extension already being ironed out for The Pirate. He's not going anywhere.

Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
Here?s to seeing if you?re right.

Catfish
11-21-2021, 09:55 PM

Man, I hope you're right. Everyone said we would see progress in year 3 but he is putting together a dang good year 2. A lot of that is Mississippi talent..

Commercecomet24
11-21-2021, 10:06 PM
The thing about Leach being a different kind of cat is it's not all about money for him. Does he love the fat checks? Yes but he's also about being where he wants to be and he's loving State. Remember he's a small town laid back guy, he's from Wyoming. Also he's a Pirate at heart and pirates plundered and pillaged the elites and blue bloods and that's who he is. He's an odd duck but he's ours.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2021, 10:13 PM
The thing about Leach being a different kind of cat is it's not all about money for him. Does he love the fat checks? Yes but he's also about being where he wants to be and he's loving State. Remember he's a small town laid back guy, he's from Wyoming. Also he's a Pirate at heart and pirates plundered and pillaged the elites and blue bloods and that's who he is. He's an odd duck but he's ours.

Yup.

He?s also got a bad ass QB for 3 more years and he?s starting to get the best WRs recruits of his career. He ain?t going nowhere. As Mullen just proved, non super recruiter coaches are better at mid tier SEC schools where they have autonomy and can out evaluate people on high 3 stars and low 4 stars. It fits their skill set better.

As for Spurrier, I think he?d be a good fit for Duke if Cutcliffe is done.

As for Arnett, I don?t think he?d leave for another DC job, because the situation for him at MSU is too perfect. That said, I think he?d definitely take the San Diego St HC job but I?m not positive he?d take the New Mexico job. He may wait for a better job that?s easier to win at.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2021, 10:19 PM
Yup.

He?s also got a bad ass QB for 3 more years and he?s starting to get the best WRs recruits of his career. He ain?t going nowhere. As Mullen just proved, non super recruiter coaches are better at mid tier SEC schools where they have autonomy and can out evaluate people on high 3 stars and low 4 stars. It fits their skill set better.

As for Spurrier, I think he?d be a good fit for Duke if Cutcliffe is done.

As for Arnett, I don?t think he?d leave for another DC job, because the situation for him at MSU is too perfect. That said, I think he?d definitely take the San Diego St HC job but I?m not positive he?d take the New Mexico job. He may wait for a better job that?s easier to win at.

Yep agree. There's definitely people better connected than me on here but from what I've heard from folks that are close to Leach he's having more fun than he's ever had coaching.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2021, 10:20 PM
Yep agree. There's definitely people better connected than me on here but from what I've heard from folks that are close to Leach he's having more fun than he's ever had coaching.

He?s finally got real players and he gets to play brand names every week.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2021, 10:22 PM

Yep. He almost looks giddy(for him that is) a lot of the time.

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 11:26 PM
CML wants to prove his offense will work in the SEC and at MSU. If for some reason he did decide to leave MSU to go to another school (5% chance or less probability) he wouldn't go to a school where a Big Money Booster/ and or a former All American quarterback told him what to do concerning his football program. He is in control or no deal.

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 11:32 PM

We just need to keep having a prolific passing attack, and get one or a few wr/s into the NFL and the sky will be the limit on the type of highly rated skilled players that we can attract. That type of player wants to go where he can be developed to be his best at the next level.

starkvegasdawg
11-22-2021, 05:51 AM
Yep. He almost looks giddy(for him that is) a lot of the time.

https://youtu.be/3AA7Ub1c2cI

preachermatt83
11-22-2021, 08:33 AM
the biggest flip flopping of coaches we've ever seen. When jobs like LsU and Florida open up, it can create a game of musical chairs and leave carnage behind. Can't believe I've done a full 180 this season, but at this point I really REALLY hope Leach doesn't jump ship (pun intended) this off season. There will be some teams scrambling for even a decent coach if they lose theirs...bc in my opinion there aren't many good ones out there right now

Finally ole cadaver has seen the light. Welcome back old friend!

Maroonthirteen
11-22-2021, 08:47 AM
Off season? The coaching "hot seat" talk begins week 1 as soon as some name loses a game. Then is repeated over and over and over until the coaching carousel is the biggest story in the sport for the last two-three weeks of the regular season through the bowl games.

But you're exactly right.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2021, 09:44 AM
To add to this, I think Arkansas could get decimated by the dominos of this coaching cycle.

Any chance both Briles & Odom leave?

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 09:47 AM
To add to this, I think Arkansas could get decimated by the dominos of this coaching cycle.

Let's not forget Troy opened up. Odom or Briles could go head coach there.

MetEdDawg
11-22-2021, 09:54 AM

Troy hire will be very interesting. It's a university that going forward will be in a much tougher Sun Belt, has access to good recruiting, and has shown in the past you can win there.

Briles would be a good fit there and I would be shocked if he didn't interview. I also think Lebby could interview there.

WPS
11-22-2021, 12:03 PM

Always a chance, think Briles is more likely. Odom already turned down DC jobs at LSU and Texas last offseason so would probably take a decent HC offer to leave which I'm not sure he'll get.

Saltydog
11-22-2021, 07:15 PM

Maybe Odom but I'd be surprised if Briles went there! I would imagine he's got his eyes on better and bigger programs!

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2021, 07:33 PM
Always a chance, think Briles is more likely. Odom already turned down DC jobs at LSU and Texas last offseason so would probably take a decent HC offer to leave which I'm not sure he'll get.

Feels like Briles should be a target at Troy, SMU, etc

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2021, 07:33 PM
Maybe Odom but I'd be surprised if Briles went there! I would imagine he's got his eyes on better and bigger programs!

SMU?

WhiskeyPirate
11-22-2021, 07:42 PM
Good post Cadaver, the coaching carousel is going to be crazy.

I think Leach?s age as much as anything will see him retire at MSU.

He?s halfway through rebuilding a program and starting to reap the benefits of getting the personnel and installing his system. Recruiting is taking off, and if Kiffin leaves-plus all these other coaches I see MSU cleaning up the recruiting in state and elsewhere. We are getting strong looks from kids who lost their coach but are very highly rated.

It takes 2 years at least to get a program turned around and Leach is getting old. I think MSU is his destination job. The in state talent of Miss compared to west texas(barren wasteland that has no recruits for a 3 hour radius) and Pullman Wash(another barren wasteland) is night and day.

DownwardDawg
11-22-2021, 07:44 PM
https://youtu.be/3AA7Ub1c2cI

Hahah!!!! Perfect!!!

Catfish
11-22-2021, 07:48 PM
Good post Cadaver, the coaching carousel is going to be crazy.

I think Leach?s age as much as anything will see him retire at MSU.

He?s halfway through rebuilding a program and starting to reap the benefits of getting the personnel and installing his system. Recruiting is taking off, and if Kiffin leaves-plus all these other coaches I see MSU cleaning up the recruiting in state and elsewhere. We are getting strong looks from kids who lost their coach but are very highly rated.

It takes 2 years at least to get a program turned around and Leach is getting old. I think MSU is his destination job. The in state talent of Miss compared to west texas(barren wasteland that has no recruits for a 3 hour radius) and Pullman Wash(another barren wasteland) is night and day.

Leach isn't getting old, he's only 60. Hell, Saban is 70 and going strong.

WhiskeyPirate
11-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Leach isn't getting old, he's only 60. Hell, Saban is 70 and going strong.

The point is you don’t want to take on rebuilds at 60 when you are halfway through a rebuild at a sec school and starting to win.

Saban is in a unique position that is not comparable to any other school. Not many 70 year olds out there taking on new jobs.

Coach34
11-22-2021, 08:28 PM
I think the only way Leach would leave is if he gets offered one of the Fla jobs. He's a few years away from spending his life in the Caribbean most of the time.

Not really worried about losing him. Fla wants a known recruiter- so that eliminates Leach

WhiskeyPirate
11-22-2021, 08:38 PM
I could see leach going from WSU to Miami for sure, but not MSU to Miami at this stage. He’s got about everything he could want right where he is.

This is a destination job for leach IMO. I think he’s got a challenge to build something great and do it in the sec, where he’s always wanted to coach.

Coach34
11-22-2021, 08:49 PM
I could see leach going from WSU to Miami for sure, but not MSU to Miami at this stage. He’s got about everything he could want right where he is.

This is a destination job for leach IMO. I think he’s got a challenge to build something great and do it in the sec, where he’s always wanted to coach.

You are delusional if you dont think The Pirate would live in Miami over Sville. He will get millions at either place

WhiskeyPirate
11-22-2021, 08:53 PM
You are delusional if you dont think The Pirate would live in Miami over Sville. He will get millions at either place

Not really. Miami is just not that good of a program anymore, and it’s not the sec.

JMO but Ive Been following leach a long time, I think he is retiring where he’s at.

Coach34
11-22-2021, 08:57 PM
and he absolutely may. But if he got a Miami offer- I think he would 100% bolt. You can still have a top 5 program at Miami

RocketDawg
11-22-2021, 09:00 PM

I hope he doesn't jump ship either, but I thought Mullen had some allegiance to MSU because we gave him the opportunity, and he made something of the program, and he was grateful. I was wrong, so I'm not going to pretend that Leach will be any different if something he wants comes along.

99jc
11-22-2021, 09:01 PM
and he absolutely may. But if he got a Miami offer- I think he would 100% bolt. You can still have a top 5 program at Miami

I honestly don't think he would go to Miami. I know people who are friends with him and he loves stark vegas no joke

WhiskeyPirate
11-22-2021, 09:03 PM
I don’t think Miami will ever be a top ten program again. They have sunk down to the mid level private school they were back before jimmy and Howard built the program up. They are irrelevant.

RocketDawg
11-22-2021, 09:13 PM
I don’t think Miami will ever be a top ten program again. They have sunk down to the mid level private school they were back before jimmy and Howard built the program up. They are irrelevant.

They also have very little fan support. They play home games in an almost empty stadium, and it was like that when they were ranked at or near the top.

Coach34
11-22-2021, 09:15 PM
I honestly don't think he would go to Miami. I know people who are friends with him and he loves stark vegas no joke

I'm not doubting he enjoys StarkVegas. But Miami is different. We'll just have to disagree. Miami could be a top program again if they want to be

99jc
11-22-2021, 09:20 PM
I'm not doubting he enjoys StarkVegas. But Miami is different. We'll just have to disagree. Miami could be a top program again if they want to be

I know Miami could be a good program again but i think we could be also we might finish 2nd in the west and that is quite an accomplishment. Traffic sucks in South Florida and Miami is not key west.

Cowbell
11-22-2021, 09:52 PM

This is a bad take. You need to read his book. He is a small town guy and loves being back in the SEC. I would 100% bet against you on this.

LC Dawg
11-22-2021, 10:24 PM

That would all depend on who "they" is. It seems like a lot of their big money guys (the ones not in prison) don't want to do what it takes to get "The U" back.

Saltydog
11-23-2021, 10:13 AM
SMU?

I could see Briles going to SMU but I don't see Troy.....

Johnson85
11-23-2021, 10:47 AM

I don't think the question is whether he'd rather live in Miami over Starkville. I think the question is whether he wants to go through a rebuild at this point. Plus, I think he wants to prove the air raid will work in the SEC. He's finally got his chance and I'm not sure he leaves it right when he is getting it rolling.

TrapGame
11-23-2021, 11:03 AM
I don't think the question is whether he'd rather live in Miami over Starkville. I think the question is whether he wants to go through a rebuild at this point. Plus, I think he wants to prove the air raid will work in the SEC. He's finally got his chance and I'm not sure he leaves it right when he is getting it rolling.

Nope, he's not. Leach ain't leaving.

And it looks like The Pirate and his crew will be plundering some recruits from team rosters in flux from a coaching change. We have the opportunity to snag some good players.

Irondawg
11-23-2021, 11:10 AM
If you're Florida or LSU I think there is a good chance you look at Odom for a DC and I would think a couple of other schools could consider him as HC. It's going to be a wild few weeks.

Hot Rock
11-23-2021, 11:27 AM
My take on this is that Leach will leave someday but I don't expect it anytime soon.

I don't see many Blue Bloods ever coming after him since it usually takes him awhile to get his system in place and he is not know for recruiting.

I don't see him anxious to leave to start over somewhere else either. I also think his recruiting will be better than most think. I truly think we will see a new level of winning here over the next several years and we will just watch the coaching carousel from a distance and enjoy.

MetEdDawg
11-23-2021, 02:00 PM
Looks like Rhett Lashlee is going to get the SMU job. So you can most likely take that one off the board.

Gonna be tough for Miami to find a good OC replacement with Diaz as a dead man walking. Might as well just blow it up and start over.

PikeDawg15
11-23-2021, 02:15 PM
If you're Florida or LSU I think there is a good chance you look at Odom for a DC and I would think a couple of other schools could consider him as HC. It's going to be a wild few weeks.

He was offered a DC spot at LSU last year and declined it.