PDA

View Full Version : Dumb move by Florida to fire Mullen

BogeyGolfer
11-21-2021, 05:30 PM
The guy is a proven coach and can win with 2-3 star talent. He has won 34 games at UF and lost at ton of NFL talent last year to the draft. He has one down year, and he gets fired? How stupid can they be? Guess what? Lane Kiffin is not an upgrade from Dan Mullen. I agree Mullen should've hired a recruiting position to help and that would've been an easy fix. And for those that say Florida wants to compete with Georgia, well, he beat Georgia last year and Kirby hasn't won the natty yet....I think Bama will beat them in Atlanta but that's another topic...So, Dan is fired, they hire another coach which will take at least a year or two to install his system and players and they are back to square one....What a dumb move...

Santiago
11-21-2021, 05:38 PM
He was losing the team and recruiting though....and he had lost something like 9 out of his last 11 power 5 games.

Todd4State
11-21-2021, 05:40 PM
He was losing the team and recruiting though....and he had lost something like 9 out of his last 11 power 5 games.

I think Dan thought that coaching at Florida would be easy compared to MSU. And it's not. When someone goes into a job thinking it's going to be a cakewalk then sometimes they find out the hard way it isn't and sometimes it's hard to recover.

Jack Lambert
11-21-2021, 05:42 PM
It was a dumb move when he left Miss State. He would be making over 7 mill a year with job security. Plus he would have made a hell of a run in 2017.

Activated Alpha
11-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Why do we continue to keep having people defend that 17er after being fired? Ear infection looking 17er got what he deserved. Who cares if Florida keeps firing coaches. I?m glad he is gone

TrapGame
11-21-2021, 05:45 PM
Dan Mullen is an average coach that struck gold at State bc our expectations are not outrageous.

BogeyGolfer
11-21-2021, 05:46 PM
I think Dan thought that coaching at Florida would be easy compared to MSU. And it's not. When someone goes into a job thinking it's going to be a cakewalk then sometimes they find out the hard way it isn't and sometimes it's hard to recover.

Prolly some truth in that...But, man, there are ways to work through that. I guess the administration at UF didn't want to go that route.

MetEdDawg
11-21-2021, 05:47 PM
Florida was 2-9 in their last 11 P5 games. That should NEVER happen at Florida. Only teams worse were Vandy at 0-11, and Arizona and Kansas at 1-10.

Mullen had to go. No other option. And I completely agree with Todd. I think Dan thought it would be easy to win at Florida. And the comment he made a few weeks ago about not worrying about recruiting mid season just highlight some of the things that got Dan where he is now. Florida is sitting at 29th in recruiting right now. That just cannot happen at Florida.

Dawgology
11-21-2021, 05:49 PM
They must have a coach lined up or about lined up.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2021, 05:50 PM
He's lost the team. That's deserving of a firing.

BogeyGolfer
11-21-2021, 05:51 PM
Dan Mullen is an average coach that struck gold at State bc our expectations are not outrageous.

An average coach doesn't take us to #1 in the country...And if you couldn't see the difference in our team from 2008 to 2009 and the drop of when Jomo took over then you are blind. Dan is a helluva coach one of the best but sounds like he needs people around him to help manage other aspects of the job.

TrapGame
11-21-2021, 05:51 PM
They must have a coach lined up or about lined up.

You mean maybe Kiffin pulled a Howland?

Maroonthirteen
11-21-2021, 05:52 PM
I agree. One year, one!

Also this seems like LSUs smear campaign to remove Coach O. For whatever reason, the media took the recruiting comment out of context and drove that into everyone's media. Then the "lost the locker room" narrative conveniently surfaces.

Hambone
He's lost the team. That's deserving of a firing.

Agreed: See Joe Moorhead

BrunswickDawg
Prolly some truth in that...But, man, there are ways to work through that. I guess the administration at UF didn't want to go that route.

As we all saw for 9 years - stubborn ass Dan, who believed he invented football - is his own worst enemy. To survive at UF Dan would have to change who he coached with, how he recruited, how he approached big games, and how he managed his players. Stubborn ass Dan wouldn't do those things and now he's fired like most of us knew he would be.

msstate7
If I were Washington st, I'd put the full press on mullen. I think mullen would do a great job there

DAWG1903
11-21-2021, 05:58 PM

This is it all day! How many times have we been told or heard ?Florida Recruits Itself? Dan will contend at Florida! Well you can?t take time off at Florida like you did at MSU. Dan is a good coach but he is not elite.

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2021, 05:59 PM
If I were Washington st, I'd put the full press on mullen. I think mullen would do a great job there

Washington or Washington St. will both be gunning for Dan. He will own the PAC 12 without even trying. Dan can coach circles around Cristobal.

DAWG1903
11-21-2021, 06:02 PM
As we all saw for 9 years - stubborn ass Dan, who believed he invented football - is his own worst enemy. To survive at UF Dan would have to change who he coached with, how he recruited, how he approached big games, and how he managed his players. Stubborn ass Dan wouldn't do those things and now he's fired like most of us knew he would be.

Dan is one of the most passive aggressive people ever. While an Alpha - he is his own worst enemy. Good Coach - but cannot lead for shit! We shall see if he grows up and becomes more - but so far that has not happened.

TrapGame
11-21-2021, 06:04 PM
An average coach doesn't take us to #1 in the country...And if you couldn't see the difference in our team from 2008 to 2009 and the drop of when Jomo took over then you are blind. Dan is a helluva coach one of the best but sounds like he needs people around him to help manage other aspects of the job.

Dak Prescott made us number one not Dan Mullen. And then Dan pissed away every single bit of notoriety bc his ass was shopping for a better gig and not building a top tier SEC program. We got skull drug by LSU and Bama how many times? Hugh Freeze out coached his ass in every Egg Bowl he spent pimping his sorry ass for every job open.

**** Dan Mullen.

KOdawg1
11-21-2021, 06:05 PM
Wazzu seems like a good fit for him.

I think he'll try his hand in the NFL though and be an OC somewhere

Todd4State

I think he is good but he limits himself and isn't flexible enough to fix his limitations and take the next step.

I mean being better than Croom isn't exactly a high bar. LOL.

I also think his extreme run first offense plus his lack of recruiting at skill positions and the offensive line make it difficult to change offenses when a new coach comes in.

bobcat91
Asshole Dan got everything he had coming to him. He uses people and treats everyone with contempt. If you know anyone in the AD office, ask them what they thought about Dan. In the end, its all about winning and he didn't win enough there where they have National Championship ambitions. When the players he recruited started to have to play, the results were evident. Screw Dan

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 06:21 PM
Mullen came to MSU because he was offered a HC position at an SEC school. He didn't intend on staying here as long as he did. He wanted a Quote " A real football school" Well a real football school doesn't go for this developmental program and he either got upset or talked down when the media asked him about recruiting. Also some wanted Grantham gone before the 2021 season. You can also not say the crowd noise was the reason for the loss last year at TAMU when there were about 20,000 in attendance due to Covid. He got what he wanted but the grass isn't always greener on the other side , and sometimes it has concrete under it and fake grass. Also playing not to lose yesterday probably substantiated his firing prior to the FSU game.

lastmajordog
11-21-2021, 06:29 PM
It was a dumb move when he left Miss State. He would be making over 7 mill a year with job security. Plus he would have made a hell of a run in 2017.

Plus if he had stayed just one more year....even with a 80% Fitz(thanks Spears you POS), with that defense that natl champion Clemson used the blueprint to beat Bama in the Championship game, he would have had a legendary one loss DOG team for his resume and legend.......

Commercecomet24
11-21-2021, 06:29 PM
Dan quit on the team and they quit on him. Watch his pressers over the last few weeks, he wouldn't even look up just stared at the podium and gave incoherent answers. He was done. He fired himself.

lastmajordog
11-21-2021, 06:32 PM

Plus if he had stayed just one more year....even with a 80% Fitz(thanks Spears you POS), with that defense that natl champion Clemson used the blueprint to beat Bama in the Championship game, he would have had a legendary one loss DOG team for his resume and legend.......But for reference, CML has ALREADY beaten as many ranked teams as MULLEN THE GREAT did in his entire time at Starkville (not vegas).

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 06:40 PM
Plus if he had stayed just one more year....even with a 80% Fitz(thanks Spears you POS), with that defense that natl champion Clemson used the blueprint to beat Bama in the Championship game, he would have had a legendary one loss DOG team for his resume and legend.......

He didn't care about being at MSU any longer. He was here longer than he had planned. We were just a stepping stone in his HC plans.

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 06:42 PM
Dan quit on the team and they quit on him. Watch his pressers over the last few weeks, he wouldn't even look up just stared at the podium and gave incoherent answers. He was done. He fired himself.

THIS and he played not to lose yesterday and that probably sped up the firing process.

ImissCityBagel
11-21-2021, 06:42 PM
I'd agree with the firing if Mullen didn't fire Grantham and Hevesy. Those guys have been holding teams back for forever. IMO you give Mullen a chance with a new DC.

PikeDawg15
11-21-2021, 06:44 PM

Dak Prescott and Tim Tebow made Dan Mullen.

PikeDawg15
11-21-2021, 06:46 PM

Dak Prescott made us #1

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 06:50 PM
I'd agree with the firing if Mullen didn't fire Grantham and Hevesy. Those guys have been holding teams back for forever. IMO you give Mullen a chance with a new DC.

Mullen has had a bunch of second chances, and UF doesn't keep giving second chances. I guess he thought he could recruit like he did here and such but that doesn't work at UF. Spurrier was upset with some of the things he did or didn't do prior to this year. They didn't hold him back on recruitng as he was the HC though,

PikeDawg15
Dak Prescott made us number one not Dan Mullen. And then Dan pissed away every single bit of notoriety bc his ass was shopping for a better gig and not building a top tier SEC program. We got skull drug by LSU and Bama how many times? Hugh Freeze out coached his ass in every Egg Bowl he spent pimping his sorry ass for every job open.

**** Dan Mullen.

Agreed

I thank Dan for building a bowl eligible team but Dak Prescott made us #1 in 2014 and nobody EVER should forget that.

If Dak left after 14, MSU wouldve been 4-8 or 5-7 at best. He went 9-4 with that team. That is how good dak prescott was.

Dan couldnt keep a defensive coordinator at msu to save his damn life

basedog

Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lastmajordog
11-21-2021, 06:51 PM

Plus if he had stayed just one more year....even with a 80% Fitz(thanks Spears you POS), with that defense that natl champion Clemson used the blueprint to beat Bama in the Championship game, he would have had a legendary one loss DOG team for his resume and legend.......But for reference, CML has ALREADY beaten as many ranked teams as MULLEN THE GREAT did in his entire time at Starville (not vegas).

ImissCityBagel
11-21-2021, 06:53 PM
I think Mullen's lack of recruiting is exaggerated. Currently watching a pro game with an ex Mullen QB, Lineman, and LB. He put many studs into the NFL.

The problem is that Mullen would not have been able to compete with the LSUs, Georgias, and Bama like that. He's an underrated recruiter though.

dawgday166
11-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Washington or Washington St. will both be gunning for Dan. He will own the PAC 12 without even trying. Dan can coach circles around Cristobal.

Seriously LMAO. Not hardly on all counts. And you think he'd do better than Leach at WSU and how hard it is to recruit there??

lastmajordog
11-21-2021, 06:57 PM
He didn't care about being at MSU any longer. He was here longer than he had planned. We were just a stepping stone in his HC plans.

That’s obvious, but it’s also obvious any future employer’s would look at an INCREDIBLE job that he took bottoms dwelling Moo U (I freaking hate that) to a one loss season only losing to Bama......but as it stands he took a FLA powerhouse down to a mid level season.

msstate7
11-21-2021, 06:58 PM
Seriously LMAO. Not hardly on all counts. And you think he'd do better than Leach at WSU and how hard it is to recruit there??

Mullen is still a good coach. I know why we laughing at him today, and I understand, but he was one of the best things to happen to us, and I don't hate him, and I never will (and I'm pretty sure thats a run on sentence haha)

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2021, 07:01 PM
I can only hate the man so much that gave me my greatest MSU football memory, but karma caught up with him.

I think he'd be a really good fit at TCU. Private school & Megan would love Ft Worth along with Colonial Country Club (The Colonial) being on the backside of campus for his son to play golf at.

At TCU, he can recruit & evaluate the 3 stars while not having to play super crooters

Todd4State
11-21-2021, 07:08 PM
Mullen is still a good coach. I know why we laughing at him today, and I understand, but he was one of the best things to happen to us, and I don't hate him, and I never will (and I'm pretty sure thats a run on sentence haha)

I hate the way he acted here and I felt like MSU should have done more to put him in his place instead of just catering to his every whim.

basedog
11-21-2021, 07:09 PM
I can only hate the man so much that gave me my greatest MSU football memory, but karma caught up with him.

I think he'd be a really good fit at TCU. Private school & Megan would love Ft Worth along with Colonial Country Club (The Colonial) being on the backside of campus for his son to play golf at.

At TCU, he can recruit & evaluate the 3 stars while not having to play super crooters

Maybe so, but I think he may need a year off and re-evaluate everything. With $6 million in the bank and $1 million per next 6 years, no need to rush things. Sometimes away from the grind and spend some quality time with family is priceless.

Todd4State
11-21-2021, 07:10 PM

If I were him I would just get out of college altogether. He's not going to get a better college job than Florida. He has nowhere to go but down. He can't recruit and isn't interested in learning how.

If I were in his shoes I would go to the NFL and go from there.

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 07:12 PM
I hate the way he acted here and I felt like MSU should have done more to put him in his place instead of just catering to his every whim.

Yep and it caught up with him at UF and they didn't put up with it. You would think he would have known what the expectations of the Bull Gators were.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
11-21-2021, 07:16 PM

Yes, he knew that the end was near as a Gator head coach.

dawgday166
11-21-2021, 07:22 PM

I've never said he isn't a good coach. I've always said when Dan wants to coach, he can really coach. His problem is he gets distracted with the other things all that money can buy, and he tends to rest on his laurels. And with us, when other programs started showing interest in him during his good years, he just basically checked out at the end of the season. Our best teams under him lost to OM every year, even when we were big favorites. Dan is a good underdog coach.

Dan can develop players pretty well. Maybe as good as almost anyone in the country. But he also benefitted at MSU from a lot of untapped, raw, under-the-radar talent in a 200 mile radius. And he could develop them. Washington & WSU don't have that. If Leach couldn't "own" the Pac12 at WSU then Mullen damn sure couldn't.

And now I'm realizing just how poor his WRs really were, albeit they weren't horrible but we got WRs now that are way ahead of anything he ever produced. And, with the exception of Dak, a QB too, although he does usually develop college QBs pretty good.

Dan also has never tried (or won't) address and improve his deficiencies like; recruiting, 2-min drill/clock mgt (he's horrible at it), winning big games against top-ranked opponents, winning SEC road games (one of his all time favorite excuses for losing a game), throwing DCs under the bus when he loses, etc. Seems like we may have upgraded significantly across the whole board there with Leach. We'll see on recruiting tho.

ETA: I honestly thought he'd do well at FL. He should've been able to recruit more easily to a higher level, albeit not Bama or UGA level, but then I thought he'd develop the higher level talent to maybe compete with those 2 if he could get over the Saban/Kirby mental block he had. He did that last year with Kirby but then he does what he always does after a good year, relax and enjoy that money mo.

bulldawg28
11-21-2021, 07:28 PM

If I were LSU

The Federalist Engineer
11-21-2021, 07:28 PM
Actually- firing a coach is expensive. In the Mullen case, 12M.

Except he has job prospects still, they may not pay much of that 12M if Washington Huskies hire him this month.

It just seems like a bad fit with Florida. Reputation is still ok and his MSU record is still impressive. If you fire a guy and he can quickly get a job, it seems like a easy Win Win.

calidawg
11-21-2021, 07:37 PM
Agreed

I thank Dan for building a bowl eligible team but Dak Prescott made us #1 in 2014 and nobody EVER should forget that.

If Dak left after 14, MSU wouldve been 4-8 or 5-7 at best. He went 9-4 with that team. That is how good dak prescott was.

Dan couldnt keep a defensive coordinator at msu to save his damn life

The offensive line that Dan trotted out in 2015 was embarrassing. Any QB other than Dak we win 5 that year I agree.

MoreCowbell
11-21-2021, 07:54 PM

Same here. Wish he would have stayed for 2018 that is the only thing that pissed me off. If he really wanted to win a championship with a team he built from scratch, that was his chance.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2021, 08:07 PM
I normally hate to see anyone fired, but when you make $12mil on the way out....F him.

chef dixon
11-21-2021, 08:16 PM
He honestly may just be burnt out

Catfish
11-21-2021, 08:23 PM
He honestly may just be burnt out

You know what, those were my thoughts too. He just acts like he doesn't care about anything. Maybe something else is going on with him right now. Don't know.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2021, 08:36 PM
I normally hate to see anyone fired, but when you make $12mil on the way out....F him.

Yeah that 12 mill kinda softens the blow doesn't it! You could fire me today and give me 12 mill and I'd be a happy man lol!

bulldawg28
11-21-2021, 09:04 PM
Yeah that 12 mill kinda softens the blow doesn't it! You could fire me today and give me 12 mill and I'd be a happy man lol!

Yes Lord!

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-21-2021, 09:28 PM
It was inevitable. Schools like Florida won?t ride it out hoping for the best. It?s win and keep winning. This season was a total debacle. Really was no other option

Commercecomet24
11-21-2021, 10:29 PM
Maybe so, but I think he may need a year off and re-evaluate everything. With $6 million in the bank and $1 million per next 6 years, no need to rush things. Sometimes away from the grind and spend some quality time with family is priceless.

It's what I'd do. I'd take a year off relax and enjoy being with my family and see if I still had the drive to do it again or just go into broadcasting lol

basedog
11-21-2021, 10:55 PM
It's what I'd do. I'd take a year off relax and enjoy being with my family and see if I still had the drive to do it again or just go into broadcasting lol

Can't see DM as a broadcaster. His reputation has taken a hit and re grouping and getting new ideas going forward would help him. The way coaches get fired now days, there will be jobs available every year. I know one thing, if or when he gets back into Coaching, I bet he want ask many on his staff to sign up.

But being around his family would really help and maybe see he needs to be more humble and learn from mistakes. Your family can help big time in this.

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 11:46 PM
Putting recruiting on the backseat and when asked about it either trying to change the subject or playing it down was a major part of his downfall at UF. FL expects to be up there with the Bama's and GA's and not allow those schools to come into the State of FL and get basically anybody they wanted. Also some wanted Grantham gone after last year. Spurrier even said that the major problem with FL's losses this year was that they could not tackle.

yjnkdawg
11-21-2021, 11:52 PM
DELETE

Bothrops
11-22-2021, 12:44 AM
I don't think anybody is going to be at Florida for very long these days.

Lord McBuckethead
11-22-2021, 08:49 AM
Well when the back up kicker is the only one to go to the band after the game for the alma mater, there are issues.

Lord McBuckethead
11-22-2021, 08:50 AM

Not as long as Saban is alive and producing great seasons and new head coaches like Kirby.

PikeDawg15
11-22-2021, 08:55 AM
The biggest problem in college football is Nick Saban

Everybody wants to be saban and it just ain't gonna happen. I think we are close to the end of saban, I give him 2-3 more years and he will retire around 2024-2025.

Once saban retires the next guy will win a national title the very next year and once saban's players leave they will turn into a les miles LSU type going 9-3 and 10-2 and after 2-3 seasons of that , he will be fired and the same thing will keep happening.

BogeyGolfer
11-22-2021, 10:30 AM

I don't really care that Mullen was fired but if you look at it from a bigger picture, who can they hire that can come in and in 2-3 years compete for a Natty....Good Luck with that if you're Florida. Also, I always lol at the " the coach lost the players" line. What does that even mean? That's a message board, sports radio buzz word...

BiscuitEater
11-22-2021, 10:33 AM
Delete duplicate

BiscuitEater
11-22-2021, 10:34 AM
The guy is a proven coach and can win with 2-3 star talent. He has won 34 games at UF and lost at ton of NFL talent last year to the draft. He has one down year, and he gets fired? How stupid can they be? Guess what? Lane Kiffin is not an upgrade from Dan Mullen. I agree Mullen should've hired a recruiting position to help and that would've been an easy fix. And for those that say Florida wants to compete with Georgia, well, he beat Georgia last year and Kirby hasn't won the natty yet....I think Bama will beat them in Atlanta but that's another topic...So, Dan is fired, they hire another coach which will take at least a year or two to install his system and players and they are back to square one....What a dumb move...

SHuuuussssshh ....

msstatelp1
11-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Mullen was on the hot seat from the beginning. He was their 4th or 5th choice at best and many there remembered his time as OC. Basically they were ready to run him off when he took our job.. I think he had to get them into the National Championship Playoffs pretty quick to keep the job regardless. This year just reinforced that Mullen wasn't up to the task of getting FL back to national prominence so there was no need to wait.

bobcat91
11-22-2021, 10:57 AM
I shed no tears for Dan. Having said that, Florida has become the Texas of the SEC. Coaches are a revoling door and the culture is toxic.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Mullen was on the hot seat from the beginning. He was their 4th or 5th choice at best and many there remembered his time as OC. Basically they were ready to run him off when he took our job.. I think he had to get them into the National Championship Playoffs pretty quick to keep the job regardless. This year just reinforced that Mullen wasn't up to the task of getting FL back to national prominence so there was no need to wait.

Wasn't Scott Frost their primary target and he said no for Nebraska?

msstatelp1
11-22-2021, 11:46 AM
Wasn't Scott Frost their primary target and he said no for Nebraska?

Seems like it was him and one of the Kelly's (but I don't remember which one) were the main ones.

FISHDAWG
11-22-2021, 01:14 PM
I shed no tears for Dan. Having said that, Florida has become the Texas of the SEC. Coaches are a revoling door and the culture is toxic.

I think LSU is heading down that same road .... they haven't fired as many coaches yet but I see similarities in mindset and expectations

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 02:08 PM
I think LSU is heading down that same road .... they haven't fired as many coaches yet but I see similarities in mindset and expectations

I'd love for LSU to go through a coaching carousel for several years. We could get a toe in Louisiana on recruiting some serious talent and have a slightly easier road in the West.

WhiskeyPirate
11-22-2021, 02:34 PM
This is similar to UCLA in basketball. A bunch of spoiled rich kids who demand they fire the coach every 2-3 years unless they win a national title.

msstate7
11-22-2021, 02:44 PM
FWIW, saw this on Facebook...

https://i.postimg.cc/vZF1zswf/FE524-F1-B-77-D7-4350-977-B-7-EADC28-C5192.jpg (https://postimg.cc/6yc5WF3p)

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Very interesting 7. Could be some smoke with this one.

dawgday166
11-22-2021, 03:20 PM
Very interesting 7. Could be some smoke with this one.

Any word on this from Bert Stare? He's Napier's brother/agent aint he? *****

lastmajordog
11-22-2021, 09:55 PM
FLA is an idiot if they don’t get Kiffin......but hey.....they hired Mullen over the hollars of MSU voices warning them.....chomp chomp idiots

SPMT
11-22-2021, 10:23 PM

Mullen won the NC as O Coord after he was announced as our HC.