PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hudson going to S F Giants

bully99
11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
What you Braves fans say

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Great Brave - but too much money at his age coming off an injury.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2013, 05:41 PM
What you Braves fans say

Damn, hope this doesn't make us choke in the playoffs next season*

bully99
11-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Reports say 2 year 23 million $

BoomBoom
11-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Reports say 2 year 23 million $

geez. sorry to see him go, but woulda been more sorry to see that much money go to him from the Braves, especially with our SP depth.

Todd4State
11-18-2013, 06:06 PM
I think the Giants way overpaid for him. Especially given his injury history and age.

bully99
11-18-2013, 06:14 PM
They gave Tim Lincecum $35 million over 2 years. And he's been terrible the last couple of years.

Todd4State
11-18-2013, 06:22 PM
They gave Tim Lincecum $35 million over 2 years. And he's been terrible the last couple of years.

I don't think that's a great deal either- or at best it's risky. The Giants issue is their top pitching prospects haven't made it up to AA yet. They're overspending on stopgaps until guys like Kyle Crick and Stratton are ready. Notice all of these deals are two year deals.

If Lincecum turns it around, it won't look that bad.

Dawg61
11-18-2013, 06:35 PM
I'll take it, big upgrade from Zito or Vogelsong. Hudson should be great at home in the pitcher friendly AT&T Park. Giants are looking for one more starter, might be Arroyo.

dawgs
11-18-2013, 06:55 PM

his peripherals were much better last year. wouldn't surprise me at all if he is a pretty good SP the next 2 years with a little better luck. i doubt he returns to cy young winning form, but a 200 IP with solid K rate and mid-3.00s era is being reasonably optimistic.

War Machine Dawg
11-18-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm not heartbroken. I don't look for him to be the same guy he was. Old guys who break an ankle tend to struggle returning. He may still be good, but I don't look for him to be a 1 again. Plus as BoomBoom pointed out, the Braves have a ton of young arms to pick from right now. A rotation of Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Beachy, and Wood is more than fine with me. Plus Gilmartin and a couple other youngs arms in the minors should compete for the 4 & 5 spots.

The Croom Diaries
11-18-2013, 07:40 PM
I really hate to see him go, but it feel like the end of an era with Bobby, Chipper, BMac and now Huddy gone. There is no one left from the 14 straight division titles.

Will James
11-18-2013, 07:42 PM

xFIP. Ask the Pirates if this helps.

Good deal by SF. Starting pitching costs money.

Todd4State
11-18-2013, 08:44 PM
I'll take it, big upgrade from Zito or Vogelsong. Hudson should be great at home in the pitcher friendly AT&T Park. Giants are looking for one more starter, might be Arroyo.

Just re-sign Vogelsong to a one year deal. The reason he was bad was because he had a freak injury.

Irondawg
11-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I still think surkamp can be a reliable sp4 for them

Dawg61
11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Vogelsong was brutal before the injury. Josh Johnson has told the Giants he wants to pitch there so he's another possibility.

BoomBoom
11-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm not heartbroken. I don't look for him to be the same guy he was. Old guys who break an ankle tend to struggle returning. He may still be good, but I don't look for him to be a 1 again. Plus as BoomBoom pointed out, the Braves have a ton of young arms to pick from right now. A rotation of Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Beachy, and Wood is more than fine with me. Plus Gilmartin and a couple other youngs arms in the minors should compete for the 4 & 5 spots.

He was pretty bad in AAA this year if I remember right. When he was drafted he was basically a clone of Mike Minor from when he was drafted. Except Minor added several mph to his fastball in the minors, and Gilmartin hasnt. He now projects as Paul Maholm at best. Not terrible by any means, but he's now behind a few guys in line in my mind. Hale for sure.

Todd4State
11-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Vogelsong was brutal before the injury. Josh Johnson has told the Giants he wants to pitch there so he's another possibility.

Interestingly enough I looked at his numbers and he went 4-2 and dropped his ERA by about 2 runs post injury. That's what I get for listening to MLB Network. They were talking about bargain pitchers and they mentioned Vogelsong and said that the reason he was bad was because he hurt himself.

Todd4State
11-18-2013, 10:51 PM
He was pretty bad in AAA this year if I remember right. When he was drafted he was basically a clone of Mike Minor from when he was drafted. Except Minor added several mph to his fastball in the minors, and Gilmartin hasnt. He now projects as Paul Maholm at best. Not terrible by any means, but he's now behind a few guys in line in my mind. Hale for sure.

I saw Gilmartin pitch in Pearl for the Atlanta Braves exhibition game and I wasn't very impressed. He got shelled. And then he followed it up by a subpar year in Gwinnett.

Dawg61
11-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Interestingly enough I looked at his numbers and he went 4-2 and dropped his ERA by about 2 runs post injury. That's what I get for listening to MLB Network. They were talking about bargain pitchers and they mentioned Vogelsong and said that the reason he was bad was because he hurt himself.

I drafted Vogelsong as my sleeper pick in FB and he probably cost me a loss or two before I dropped him. I like Vogelsong and his success story and think he deserves a shot at beating out whoever the Giants sign for the 5th spot.