PDA

View Full Version : Gene Chizik on defending the air raid

Matt3467
11-19-2021, 07:46 PM
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mcelroy-and-cubelic-in-the-morning/id1575603573?i=1000542219444

Starts around the 5:00 mark. Thought it was interesting.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2021, 08:46 PM
If our OL blocks, the offense is unstoppable.

Look for Ole Miss to come after Will. He’ll have to think quick and rip it to wide open guys

99jc
11-19-2021, 09:01 PM

Look for Ole Miss to come after Will. He’ll have to think quick and rip it to wide open guys

What should scare the SEC is we are still learning this offense. when Leach brings in NFL type wideouts like he had in Crabtree at TT LOOK OUT. Will is getting better and better every game. I felt from the very start this was a good coaching hire and now we are starting to see it

Commercecomet24
11-19-2021, 09:33 PM

If they bring pressure(which they'll have to try cause their secondary isn't very good), Will, will dissect them.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2021, 09:42 PM
If they bring pressure(which they'll have to try cause their secondary isn't very good), Will, will dissect them.

We gotta come out firing. I know we can come back if down, but I don't want to keep falling behind.

We always come out tentative & scared to make mistakes. For the same reasons that we're capable of coming back, I want to Will out slanging it. If he throws an INT, who cares? Just come out firing.

If we do that, I think we can put a 40 burger & that should win it.

StarkVegasSteve
11-19-2021, 09:45 PM

I sincerely hope they bring pressure. Will will be firing it to Williams, Walley, and Ford on crossing routes right past Chance Campbell?s right ear and when we get tired of that we can just let Heath and Polk go torch their crap secondary. So please Durkin I am begging you, BRING PRESSURE. That record Costello set will look small compared to what Will can do.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2021, 09:47 PM
I sincerely hope they bring pressure. Will will be firing it to Williams, Walley, and Ford on crossing routes right past Chance Campbell?s right ear and when we get tired of that we can just let Heath and Polk go torch their crap secondary. So please Durkin I am begging you, BRING PRESSURE. That record Costello set will look small compared to what Will can do.

How would you defend our offense?

WhiskeyPirate
11-19-2021, 09:53 PM
Chizik knows what he is talking about.

That was a good listen and really portends well for the future. Back when leach almost got the Tennessee job I remember thinking if he ever gets sec caliber four and five star athletes to run this air raid , he might be hell on wheels.

Commercecomet24
11-19-2021, 10:01 PM
We gotta come out firing. I know we can come back if down, but I don't want to keep falling behind.

We always come out tentative & scared to make mistakes. For the same reasons that we're capable of coming back, I want to Will out slanging it. If he throws an INT, who cares? Just come out firing.

If we do that, I think we can put a 40 burger & that should win it.

I agree. I hate the slow starts. Some teams develop an identity through the season(I.e. start fast, finish hard,etc) and we may have that identity of if you get us you have to get us early, almost like a starting pitcher who gets stronger as the game goes on. I do hate the slow starts though lol.

SPMT
11-19-2021, 11:14 PM
Listening to them talk about Oregon, how the 17 was Moorehead not successful here?!

SPMT
11-19-2021, 11:17 PM
I like Chizik. I imagine he liked being able to dig the knife into Auburn too lol.

Leroy Jenkins
11-19-2021, 11:54 PM
Listening to them talk about Oregon, how the 17 was Moorehead not successful here?!

He would have been.... as an OC.

Todd4State
11-19-2021, 11:58 PM

Like I think Cohen said. He wasn't a good fit. He was too laid back and the players walked all over him.

TNDawg35
11-20-2021, 12:10 AM
Hell, if Arnette leaves, hire Chiz for D coordinator…

Todd4State
11-20-2021, 01:38 AM
Hell, if Arnette leaves, hire Chiz for D coordinator…

NO!

Walkerhill
11-20-2021, 05:05 AM
I agree. I hate the slow starts. Some teams develop an identity through the season(I.e. start fast, finish hard,etc) and we may have that identity of if you get us you have to get us early, almost like a starting pitcher who gets stronger as the game goes on. I do hate the slow starts though lol.

I do not think the slow starts are due to mentality. I think early in the game defenses close down passing windows and fly to the ball. Then Leach and Rogers run them all over the field for a couple of hours, The linebackers and defensive backs are chasing guys all over the field.

Defending a ball control offense that uses 4 yard runs the defense keeps everything in front of them. This ball control offense demands that they cover the whole field every play.

Also, as Chizik mentions it forces defenses out of their preferred identity and players into unfamiliar roles. You see linebackers almost exclusively dropping into coverage or forcing starting linebackers off the field in favor of reserve defensive backs. And then Leach mixes in the run on them.

Bama was less affected because they can get pressure with just defensive linemen and because they are 2-3 deep at every position. Less sustained drives and more ability to rotate negate some of the air raid ball control effects.

Hot Rock
11-20-2021, 06:37 AM

Look for Ole Miss to come after Will. He?ll have to think quick and rip it to wide open guys

I have been as big a Leach guy as anyone.

There is one thing, you cannot win without players.

Mississippi State has never been a place that got the top talent. I think he can attract RBs WRs & QBs but will he get the Defense and OLine players here on a consistent basis for this thing to work? The OL that can block SEC defenses will be the key to this whole thing to me. Even if it's just one once every 3-4 years for that magical season that contends, I am good for it so long as it doesn't go to trash on the down years. It would be great though to get the top 20 classes to make it more consistent.

The stuff I was worried about his offense causing issues for the defense seems to be answered at least schematically. He doesn't play hurry up and his offense is not a 3 and out machine. If the best defense against his teams is the drop 8 thingy then our defense should have less plays to defend than most teams. DC's love that and we should be able to keep a good one.

So, get the players and keep that red zone offense clicking and we should be in for a nice ride. Leach will have some losses to teams less talented at times when this offense is not running smoothly or has TO's and QB transitioning could be frustrating but the upside is very high.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2021, 07:42 AM
I do not think the slow starts are due to mentality. I think early in the game defenses close down passing windows and fly to the ball. Then Leach and Rogers run them all over the field for a couple of hours, The linebackers and defensive backs are chasing guys all over the field.

Defending a ball control offense that uses 4 yard runs the defense keeps everything in front of them. This ball control offense demands that they cover the whole field every play.

Also, as Chizik mentions it forces defenses out of their preferred identity and players into unfamiliar roles. You see linebackers almost exclusively dropping into coverage or forcing starting linebackers off the field in favor of reserve defensive backs. And then Leach mixes in the run on them.

Bama was less affected because they can get pressure with just defensive linemen and because they are 2-3 deep at every position. Less sustained drives and more ability to rotate negate some of the air raid ball control effects.

I think fatigue certainly helps, but we usually take off in the 2nd quarter and fatigue should not have set in by then.

I think one issue we have is that teams don't run their base defense vs us and thus we lack film to properly prepare the game plan.

I think it takes us a few series to figure what they're trying to do on defense

Leeshouldveflanked
11-20-2021, 09:00 AM
As immobile as Will is why not rush 6 and play zone? He?s not going to beat you running.

Cowbell
11-20-2021, 09:03 AM
As immobile as Will is why not rush 6 and play zone? He?s not going to beat you running.

Rush 6? That leaves you with 5. To cover 5. Good luck with that zone. We would score 60. Will is getting rid of the ball really quick when people are that open.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2021, 09:17 AM

60 burger

basedog
11-20-2021, 09:36 AM
Seems slow starts are with Rogers not connecting in opening drives or two. Against the Hogs we were throwing down the field early.

As far as playing Ole Dixie, I'm more concerned with stopping the run, Corral will make some plays and their run game has home run threats with speed.

It comes down who plays better defense, special teams and mistakes.

preachermatt83
11-20-2021, 11:33 AM
What should scare the SEC is we are still learning this offense. when Leach brings in NFL type wideouts like he had in Crabtree at TT LOOK OUT. Will is getting better and better every game. I felt from the very start this was a good coaching hire and now we are starting to see it

Same

WhiskeyPirate
11-20-2021, 11:43 AM
State of Miss has so many good athletes , that with a good D coordinator, I think Leach will always have a pretty good D. It’s certainly much better than he’s ever had. Nationally he will get the skill position players because it’s the air raid. O lineman are crucial, I agree.

I think believe it or not, one reason we start slow is the offense is still not 100% , still has some learning and growing room. Don’t forget how tentative the O was at the beginning of the year.

RougeDawg
11-20-2021, 02:58 PM
I have been as big a Leach guy as anyone.

There is one thing, you cannot win without players.

Mississippi State has never been a place that got the top talent. I think he can attract RBs WRs & QBs but will he get the Defense and OLine players here on a consistent basis for this thing to work? The OL that can block SEC defenses will be the key to this whole thing to me. Even if it's just one once every 3-4 years for that magical season that contends, I am good for it so long as it doesn't go to trash on the down years. It would be great though to get the top 20 classes to make it more consistent.

The stuff I was worried about his offense causing issues for the defense seems to be answered at least schematically. He doesn't play hurry up and his offense is not a 3 and out machine. If the best defense against his teams is the drop 8 thingy then our defense should have less plays to defend than most teams. DC's love that and we should be able to keep a good one.

So, get the players and keep that red zone offense clicking and we should be in for a nice ride. Leach will have some losses to teams less talented at times when this offense is not running smoothly or has TO's and QB transitioning could be frustrating but the upside is very high.

Any SEC team in Mississippi will never have to worry about getting enough defensive talent. Our state produces the most and best defensive players per capita and #2 probably isn?t close. Just look at the nfl guys.

Our problem has always been getting the skill position players because of the style of offense played in Mississippi. It has come a long way in the last 20 years but we still do not produce the quality and quantity of skill players to do what we can on the defensive side.

Even in the Merlin years, it was evident that he needed to go out of state for skill guys. But that required recruiting and hence why we always lacked in that area.

Leach has a large recruiting footprint, especially in Texas. The most skill player rich state in the country. Given time and enough recruiting cycles, those key pieces will be on campus. Keep putting up video game offensive numbers and more will come.

Bottom line is you could not recruit like Merlin and have a top 25 defense with the annual talent in Mississippi high schools. You have to work hard for a top offense. Leach is/was that missing piece.

Edit: no Mississippi team should have a sub par defense. Not sure what the KlanSharts are doing to have such a putrid defense each year.

preachermatt83
11-20-2021, 03:46 PM
NO!

Chiz is a legit dc. And he can recruit!

RougeDawg
11-20-2021, 06:42 PM
Chiz is a legit dc. And he can recruit!

He recruits churches like no other.

dawgoneyall
11-20-2021, 08:28 PM
200,000 worth

desotodawg
11-22-2021, 09:41 AM
Against Arkansas, Odom had the ends setup wide and they were blocking off the running backs from flaring out wide. That took away Will's outlet to the RBs on the side. It forced him to go downfield instead. Several times the RBs ran into the end blocker trying to get outside. Disrupted the rhythm of the play. It took a while to adjust to that.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 09:43 AM
Against Arkansas, Odom had the ends setup wide and they were blocking off the running backs from flaring out wide. That took away Will's outlet to the RBs on the side. It forced him to go downfield instead. Several times the RBs ran into the end blocker trying to get outside. Disrupted the rhythm of the play. It took a while to adjust to that.

Odom's a good DC. The slow start really messed us up at Arkansas.

Lord McBuckethead
11-22-2021, 09:53 AM
It was more like the guy that followed the guy type of thing. Mullen had the benefit of Croom following Jackie. The fanbase no longer compared Mullen to Jackie at the level Morehead was getting compared to Mullen. Leach has the benefit of Morehead being crappy following Mullen.

Maverick91
11-22-2021, 10:11 AM
Odom's a good DC. The slow start really messed us up at Arkansas.

and still stopped them on the 4 down play to win the game 28-23.

TrapGame
11-22-2021, 10:16 AM
and still stopped them on the 4 down play to win the game 28-23.

Yep.

And Wheat was blatantly held around the neck before the 4th down play.

And then after that the obvious false start on their two point conversion.

Maverick91
11-22-2021, 11:04 AM
Yep.

And Wheat was blatantly held around the neck before the 4th down play.

And then after that the obvious false start on their two point conversion.

I hate when it is stolen from the players!

KB21
11-22-2021, 11:57 AM

Because being a good coordinator and being a good head coach are two different things. Moorhead is a great coordinator, but he doesn't have the mindset to be a head coach. He's too much of a people pleaser. That works as a coordinator, not as a head coach.