PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wetzel on Miami

TrapGame
11-17-2021, 08:50 PM
Wetzel spoke to the nefarious Nevin Shapiro who told him his Miami sources are 100% on the Lane Train. Manny is a fired coach walking.

MetEdDawg
11-17-2021, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure I remember this much media talk about who was going to be the next coach somewhere before the current coach is officially fired.

I mean I know everyone expects it, but the media really seems to be jumping on who will take over at Miami before Diaz is even officially fired.

WhiskeyPirate
11-17-2021, 09:32 PM
Nevin Shapiro is still in prison isn’t he ? All five foot two of him

viverlibre
11-17-2021, 09:58 PM
Lane ain't leaving Ole Miss for Miami.

Hambone
11-17-2021, 10:04 PM
You sure about that?

99jc
11-17-2021, 10:05 PM

Are you kidding Joey Freshwater will jump all over that South beach Snatch!

WhiskeyPirate
11-17-2021, 10:11 PM
Of course he would leave ole miss for Miami if the money is right and the roster is loaded with talent. I think Florida Gators is where he is going, which is a much better job.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2021, 10:11 PM
It's mean, Kiffin has a house in Boca.

Dawgology
11-17-2021, 10:27 PM
Kiffin will be the head coach at Miami starting next season. Mark it down. Or…Ole Miss will greatly over pay to keep him and in a couple years be upside down in their investment on a coach who doesn’t want to be there anymore

Coach34
11-17-2021, 10:32 PM

Seriously? I think he would take less pay to coach at Miami

ZedFedder
11-17-2021, 10:37 PM
I don’t see him leaving for Miami.

Pancho
11-17-2021, 10:39 PM
Where is the guy who had all the napier info when we need him?

Schultzy
11-17-2021, 10:40 PM
He better take the best offer he gets now, that 2022 roster isn’t looking like much to win with…and Altmeyer is your qb.

Todd4State
11-17-2021, 10:42 PM
Of course he would leave ole miss for Miami if the money is right and the roster is loaded with talent. I think Florida Gators is where he is going, which is a much better job.

I think they are comparable. Miami would be easier to win at IMO as far as a National Championship goes.

WhiskeyPirate
11-17-2021, 10:44 PM
He better take the best offer he gets now, that 2022 roster isn’t looking like much to win with…and Altmeyer is your qb.
That’s another tell that he’s on the way out the door.

A lot of these coaches pick their new job based on the roster they will inherit. Diaz may suck as a coach but if he’s got some good talent assembled, it makes the job much more attractive. A 3-4 year rebuild , well you probably have to pay more to get a good coach to deal with that.

Maverick91
11-17-2021, 10:45 PM
Doesn’t Miami have horrible buy-in from the admin and investment into the program pretty low? If so, I wouldn’t take that mess?

WhiskeyPirate
11-17-2021, 10:47 PM
I think they are comparable. Miami would be easier to win at IMO as far as a National Championship goes.

Miami is not the Miami of the 80s. That has become a $hitty area. I used to live in south Florida. You can win there but I don’t see it as a top 5 program ever again. 15-20 ranking is what I think will be done there.

Santiago
11-17-2021, 10:47 PM
Seriously? I think he would take less pay to coach at Miami

Agree. Miami is food for his ego.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2021, 10:52 PM
It's mean, Kiffin has a house in Boca.

Not only that, he has a lot of investments in south Florida, quite a few in Miami actually. There's definitely more than football that's a draw for lane.

Todd4State
11-17-2021, 10:56 PM
Miami is not the Miami of the 80s. That has become a $hitty area. I used to live in south Florida. You can win there but I don’t see it as a top 5 program ever again. 15-20 ranking is what I think will be done there.

And Florida is not Florida of the 1990's.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2021, 11:38 PM
Kiffin ain't leaving for Miami imo, and Altmeyer won't be Ole Miss's QB next year. They will get a transfer like Rattler

Matt3467
11-17-2021, 11:44 PM
And Florida is not Florida of the 1990's.

Ehh Urban had Florida as good as ever not that awful long ago.

Matt3467
11-17-2021, 11:51 PM
Kiffin ain't leaving for Miami imo, and Altmeyer won't be Ole Miss's QB next year. They will get a transfer like Rattler

Not sure what happens with Kiffin but there's a lot of smoke and you know the saying....

It's clear that at the very least he's on the market and having gone through that as a State fan the past decade that's a horrible feeling. They had it made in the shade with Hugh Freeze (who I also think is a better coach) as that dude would've been a lifer and I would be willing to bet by the time he hung his hat up there he'd have won it all. If only he'd made better personal choices. Same with Petrino at Arkansas.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2021, 11:56 PM
Not sure what happens with Kiffin but there's a lot of smoke and you know the saying....

It's clear that at the very least he's on the market and having gone through that as a State fan the past decade that's a horrible feeling. They had it made in the shade with Hugh Freeze (who I also think is a better coach) as that dude would've been a lifer and I would be willing to bet by the time he hung his hat up there he'd have won it all. If only he'd made better personal choices. Same with Petrino at Arkansas.

I personally think Kiffin knows people view him as a 1 year and bolt type of guy, so I think he wants to change that. I think he knows he'll never be mentioned among the elite until he stays somewhere and builds a program. I may be totally wrong on that, but that's what I think. Now, I think he's also smart enough to know his reputation could lead to a huge overpayment by Ole Miss if he plays his cards right. So I expect there to be a lot of smoke, that leads to Ole Miss giving him a massive raise, and Kiffin staying for a while. I think he can win consistently at Ole Miss, although he doesn't worry me near as much as Freeze did when he was reeling in top 5 classes.

Hopefully I'm wrong, Kiffin bolts, Ole Miss hires a lemon, and is lost in the wilderness for about 30 years while we ride the pirate ship to heights unseen.....but I have a feeling that may not happen ha

parabrave
11-18-2021, 03:35 AM
Where is the guy who had all the napier info when we need him?

Where is Bert Stare when you need him****

Pancho
11-18-2021, 06:51 AM
I forgot his name. I betcha he know all the info.

KOdawg1
11-18-2021, 07:09 AM
I don't think he'd be leaving Ole Miss for Miami.

I think he could leave Oxford for Miami though.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2021, 07:26 AM
Ehh Urban had Florida as good as ever not that awful long ago.

That's a decade and 3 coaches ago - an eternity in CFB.

confucius say
11-18-2021, 08:05 AM

This is the correct answer. He knows he loses 16 starters and has no qb on the roster currently. If I were him I'd absolutely be looking hard.

That said, I actually like lane for the most part when he stays above the childish antics. And we will see how good that offense is next year without the best qb in the country.

basedog
11-18-2021, 08:37 AM
Kiffin is more than about football, his life style is important and money talks. I don't think he cares what anyone thinks about him, football coach or his personal life.

Miami would be more private for his lifestyle only because of populations and more places to go to.

Ari Gold
11-18-2021, 08:52 AM
If Da U offers , Lane is gone...

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2021, 08:54 AM
If Da U offers , Lane is gone...

I could actually see Da U being a place that Kiffin went & stayed for 10 years. Seems like a fit

TrapGame
11-18-2021, 09:05 AM
And the rumors this morning are the Miami AD candidates have all asked for Manny to be fired -they do not want to inherit him - and Dan will be fired if Florida loses to Mizzou Saturday.

basedog
11-18-2021, 09:07 AM
And the rumors this morning are the Miami AD candidates have all asked for Manny to be fired -they do not want to inherit him - and Dan will be fired if Florida loses to Mizzou Saturday.

Lincoln Riley rumors, Lsu offered $96 million over 8 years. Wow!

Saltydog
11-18-2021, 09:10 AM
Kiffin will be the head coach at Miami starting next season. Mark it down. Or?Ole Miss will greatly over pay to keep him and in a couple years be upside down in their investment on a coach who doesn?t want to be there anymore

This is the most likely scenario IMO......Miami won't pay like a SECW school......

Saltydog
11-18-2021, 09:13 AM
Yeah but I think Kiffin could reap the benefits of UF and FSU both being down (WAY DOWN).

Cooterpoot
11-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Doesn’t Miami have horrible buy-in from the admin and investment into the program pretty low? If so, I wouldn’t take that mess?

They just fired part of their issue.

Cooterpoot
11-18-2021, 10:02 AM
This is the most likely scenario IMO......Miami won't pay like a SECW school......

Miami can pay whatever they want. They've got the support to go big now.

Commercecomet24
11-18-2021, 10:04 AM
I don't think he'd be leaving Ole Miss for Miami.

I think he could leave Oxford for Miami though.

Bingo! It's more than football for Lane. Also remember there's no state income tax in Florida .

Johnson85
11-18-2021, 10:25 AM
Miami can pay whatever they want. They've got the support to go big now.

If Miami has the support to put emphasis on football again, they can poach Lane. Miami isn't what it once was, but they are also in the ACC so he won't have to deal with a gauntlet during the regular season. I'm just not sure if they're willing to do that. Two things they have in their favor are Mississippi's four year limit on contracts and FLorida's lack of state income tax. Neither of those things are huge, but if Miami isn't quite willing to pay crazy SEC money, it can close the gap.

Lane is paying essentially 5% in come tax in Mississippi, so that's $250k a year. And all the expenses Florida hits you with other than an income tax Lane is already paying because of having a house down there. So if Ole Miss is willing to pay $7M a year for 4 years, and Miami is willing to pay $5M a year for 6 years, You talking about a the equivalent of $26,600,000 contract after state taxes from Ole Miss compared to making $20M over the next four years at Miami, plus having another two years on your contract, and Lane gets to unload a house in Oxford, and he doesn't have to spend a bunch of money flying back and forth to where he actually wants to be. I think if that's the deal, Lane probably stays at Ole Miss. People just tend to not leave that much money on the table.

But you move Miami's offer to $6M over 5 years, and you're looking at $24M in the first four years plus another year on the contract, plus all the other benefits of being in Miami, and that is probably something that goes Miami's way.

Maverick91
11-18-2021, 10:47 AM
They just fired part of their issue.

So, that was mostly on the AD? I don't know much if anything about Miami except they beat the brakes off the Huskers in 2000, gosh that team was fun to watch.

nashLA
11-18-2021, 10:56 AM
Kiffin will be the head coach at Miami starting next season. Mark it down. Or?Ole Miss will greatly over pay to keep him and in a couple years be upside down in their investment on a coach who doesn?t want to be there anymore

Are we supposed to mark it down or not?

Liverpooldawg
11-18-2021, 10:59 AM
The Miami administration has kept a tight rein on the football program since the last scandal. If that is still the case then Kiffen ain't going there. Firing the AD may mean that that is changing. My Miami relatives are watching just like everybody else right now. I do think Diaz is on very thin ice right now based on what I hear.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-18-2021, 11:39 AM
I could see Kiffin leaving. Ole miss is losing a lot obviously so the Florida beaches look awfully tempting.

Lord McBuckethead
11-18-2021, 11:42 AM
Calling Burt Stare

BeardoMSU
11-18-2021, 11:48 AM
Calling Burt Stare

Please, don't say his name 3 times or he'll appear.**

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2021, 12:21 PM
The only problem is the big time Miami alums will push for Ed Reed to be hired. They wanted him hired last time and got him a spot on the staff. You can mark it down that Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, etc. will be pushing for Ed to be the hire. I would say Deion but the FSU connection would be too much to overcome.

Matt3467
11-18-2021, 12:28 PM
That's a decade and 3 coaches ago - an eternity in CFB.

Yea but its a heck of a lot more recent than the 90's.

Dawgology
11-18-2021, 12:36 PM
Are we supposed to mark it down or not?

Go ahead and mark it down.

The only question I have is how much Ole Miss alums are willing to pay to keep him. I had a relatively connected one tel me they will offer him 10 mill a year to keep him. To me that?s really really dumb. If Lane stays in Oxford for money then Lane will be unhappy after a couple years and they will have a Mullen situation where he is shopping himself out every season but tied to the place because of money.

Maverick91
11-18-2021, 01:02 PM
The only problem is the big time Miami alums will push for Ed Reed to be hired. They wanted him hired last time and got him a spot on the staff. You can mark it down that Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, etc. will be pushing for Ed to be the hire. I would say Deion but the FSU connection would be too much to overcome.

I love Ed Reed, fantastic player. But, what has he done to be deserving of the head coach position. I see him being another coach O.

Duckdog
11-18-2021, 01:39 PM
Calling Burt Stare

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2021, 02:35 PM
I love Ed Reed, fantastic player. But, what has he done to be deserving of the head coach position. I see him being another coach O.

Deion had been a Private High School OC in Texas and got interviews at FSU and Arky and had the FSU alums wanting to hire him before they went with Norvell and Pittman. Ed will have the NFL alumni backing, but Lane will probably have the big money backing if he is truly interested.

Turfdawg67
11-18-2021, 02:47 PM
Please, don't say his name 3 times or he'll appear.**

Calling Burt Stare...

Bert Stare
11-18-2021, 03:11 PM
Calling Burt Stare...

Lane to Florida. Mullen to Ole Miss......... and Big Dick Napier to LSU.

Extendedcab
11-18-2021, 03:20 PM
Burt, Is this your guess or do you have inside information?

This is interesting indeed!

defiantdog
11-18-2021, 03:23 PM
If only this was true.....

TrapGame
11-18-2021, 03:25 PM
If Napier winds up at LSU a lot of folks would consider that a swing and a miss. But, it could be a Sam Pittman on steroids kind of hire.

Johnson85
11-18-2021, 03:41 PM
If Napier winds up at LSU a lot of folks would consider that a swing and a miss. But, it could be a Sam Pittman on steroids kind of hire.

If I'm LSU, I'd take Napier at $5M per year over Lincoln Riley at $12M per. Especially if you get Napier at $5M per year for 6 years instead of 8. Hell, set up Napier's contract with a $5M base and agree to pay him a $7M bonus each time he wins the national championship.

Bert Stare
11-18-2021, 03:47 PM
If I'm LSU, I'd take Napier at $5M per year over Lincoln Riley at $12M per. Especially if you get Napier at $5M per year for 6 years instead of 8. Hell, set up Napier's contract with a $5M base and agree to pay him a $7M bonus each time he wins the national championship.

Riley is not taking the LSU job. He should, but he's not. Tucker was their second choice, and he's locked in at northern MSU now. Napier is third on their list. Lane is not being considered for the LSU job. no idea why not.

Bert Stare
11-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Riley is not taking the LSU job. He should, but he's not. Tucker was their second choice, and he's locked in at northern MSU now. Napier is third on their list. Lane is not being considered for the LSU job. no idea why not.

No clue about Florida and Miami yet because they aren't technically open. Hugh Freeze is definitely in play Virginia Tech. If lane heads to the sunshine state, Ole Miss is pretty content with letting the OC have a shot to lead the team for a couple of years.

FISHDAWG
11-18-2021, 03:55 PM

Mullen to Ole Miss would make us "The School" down South**

Extendedcab
11-18-2021, 03:56 PM
Mullen to Ole Miss would make us "The School" down South**

That would be hilarious if it came to pass!

Dawgology
11-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Napier I think missed his shot a couple years back to move up. He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way (not just at State). I feel like this was more his agents doing and I have my suspicions why.

Turfdawg67
11-18-2021, 04:12 PM

Hey, you only got called twice... Beardo said it took 3 times!

schddog72
11-18-2021, 04:53 PM
Yeah but I think Kiffin could reap the benefits of UF and FSU both being down (WAY DOWN).

Don't look now, but FSU is rebuilding it's roster rather quickly. They are supposedly out-recruiting both Miami and UF. FSU ain't gonna be way down long.