PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt: Auburn Film Study

TrapGame
11-17-2021, 02:07 PM
Something hit me while watching this. Will is making the throws to wide open receivers he was missing in the first three or four games. This offense is on another level now. Will's confidence is unshakable. He sees the entire field.

https://youtu.be/U7dKtcmg1Qs

BeardoMSU
11-17-2021, 02:14 PM
Nice.

Now we need to just put together all 4 quarters together. Once that happens, we'll be hell on grass.

Lord McBuckethead
11-17-2021, 02:27 PM
If Will and our offense put together a full 60 minutes like the second half of the Auburn game, the 623 ypg record would be broken. I hope he does it next Thursday.

BeardoMSU
11-17-2021, 02:31 PM
I hope he does it next Thursday.

That would be amazing timing.

Cowbell
11-17-2021, 02:37 PM
If Will and our offense put together a full 60 minutes like the second half of the Auburn game, the 623 ypg record would be broken. I hope he does it next Thursday.

This could only happen with the interlocking logo

BulldogDX55
11-17-2021, 04:23 PM
Nice.

Now we need to just put together all 4 quarters together. Once that happens, we'll be hell on grass.

I wouldn't expect to see anything like that for four straight quarters. Gotta remember that we run a ball control offense that racks up 12+ play, 5 minute plus drives and it usually takes a few quarters for it to fully wear down the opposing defense, while also keeping ours fresh the whole game. I wish I would have realized that earlier in the season because I've made plenty of ignorant comments about how I wish 4th quarter Will Rodgers was playing the whole game.

Lord McBuckethead
11-17-2021, 04:29 PM
I wish Matt Wyatt could be given the 22 man recording of every play. It would be nice to see the full alignment.

Maverick91
11-17-2021, 04:32 PM
I wish Matt Wyatt could be given the 22 man recording of every play. It would be nice to see the full alignment.

Then these reviews would be like 2 hours, but, so well worth the time. lol

boot
11-17-2021, 09:00 PM
I don’t think we see 600+ passing yards again, unless some coordinator is dumb enough to try man coverage for 60 full minutes.

Lord McBuckethead
11-17-2021, 10:32 PM
Will is getting over 400 without any offense for 25 minutes a game.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2021, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't expect to see anything like that for four straight quarters. Gotta remember that we run a ball control offense that racks up 12+ play, 5 minute plus drives and it usually takes a few quarters for it to fully wear down the opposing defense, while also keeping ours fresh the whole game. I wish I would have realized that earlier in the season because I've made plenty of ignorant comments about how I wish 4th quarter Will Rodgers was playing the whole game.

True, but falling behind by double digits every week is no recipe for success. I hope we can start playing better early in these games and it doesn't become a pattern for us to start super slow and fall behind

BeardoMSU
11-18-2021, 10:27 AM
True, but falling behind by double digits every week is no recipe for success. I hope we can start playing better early in these games and it doesn't become a pattern for us to start super slow and fall behind

Exactly.

Jarius
11-18-2021, 10:44 AM

Part of it is that it takes Leach a few Series to figure out how the defense is going to play him. I saw that in an interview he had. It’s also because we wear teams down with our TOP.

TrapGame
11-18-2021, 10:48 AM
Part of it is that it takes Leach a few Series to figure out how the defense is going to play him. I saw that in an interview he had. It’s also because we wear teams down with our TOP.

This.

I heard it described as Leach is a boxer. He's probing his opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

And, yes, our TOP wears down defenses. A&M was sucking wind in the 4th quarter. Auburn was too. Kentucky's defense flat gave up in the 4th. They were done.

BeardoMSU
11-18-2021, 11:03 AM

In that case, the D needs to not shit the bed in the 1st quarter while the O figures it out.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2021, 11:10 AM

My theory on this is that because we play such a unique offensive scheme that causes defenses to not run their base scheme, we don't know much about the opponent until the 2nd quarter after they've shown how they're going to defend us.

Most offenses get the benefit of film review to help them start hot, but what can our coaches see on film review when the defenses are playing completely different schemes?

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Part of it is that it takes Leach a few Series to figure out how the defense is going to play him. I saw that in an interview he had. It?s also because we wear teams down with our TOP.

This is my theory as well. When the defense we're playing again runs a 4-3 every game, how are we supposed to know what their 3-8 will look like?

I think what we need to do to solve this issue is to just come out balls to the wall & stretch the field.

I think we play conservative early, but, since we know our offense can explode, we should play looser early & take chances. If we throw an INT, who cares? We can easily overcome it.

So to solve the issue, I'd tell Will "Look, we don't know how they're going to play us yet, but be aggressive. Put them on their heels early."