PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Riley talk is interesting...

basedog
11-17-2021, 01:15 PM
May be rumored but seems to be something going on at Oklahoma, could he really be interested in the Lsu job?

msstate7
11-17-2021, 01:28 PM
I like it. Start a good rivalry between LSU and Oklahoma before Oklahoma even joins the sec

StarkVegasSteve
11-17-2021, 01:29 PM
I think Mike Detillier probably had the best point I have heard on this. Lincoln right now is the big dog recruiter in the Big 12. When he comes to the SEC he will be at best the 5th or 6th best. Come to LSU and you will be the 2nd or 3rd best. I think he realizes that it comes to down to talent accumulation. I still think it ends up being Dave Arranda.

dawgman15
11-17-2021, 01:37 PM
I think Mike Detillier probably had the best point I have heard on this. Lincoln right now is the big dog recruiter in the Big 12. When he comes to the SEC he will be at best the 5th or 6th best. Come to LSU and you will be the 2nd or 3rd best. I think he realizes that it comes to down to talent accumulation. I still think it ends up being Dave Arranda.

Since 2017 - Oklahoma Average recruiting ranking - 8
LSU Average recruiting ranking - 8

PikeDawg15
11-17-2021, 02:04 PM
I think it may just come down to money.

Im hearing LSU will pay him $13 million???? of course he's coming if he gets a 10 year deal like jimbo he has 130 million guaranteed

parabrave
11-17-2021, 02:12 PM
Since 2017 - Oklahoma Average recruiting ranking - 8
LSU Average recruiting ranking - 8

Well the majority of LSU recruits come from LA while Okie has been Texas with a mixture of recruits from other states.

TrapGame
11-17-2021, 02:13 PM
I guess Lane has his eye on Miami/Florida jobs. He was a fan favorite up till a week or two ago. Jimbo looks locked in at A&M. Mel Tucker looks locked in at MSU North.

PikeDawg15
11-17-2021, 02:20 PM
I guess Lane has his eye on Miami/Florida jobs. He was a fan favorite up till a week or two ago. Jimbo looks locked in at A&M. Mel Tucker looks locked in at MSU North.

Gonna be completely unbiased. If I was him , since Ole Miss worships him. Id make them break the bank for me and tell them 9 million per year or I'm leaving and they'd do it.

Could Miami come even close to that number? I know Florida could though but I just don't see him taking Miami .
I 100% seeing him taking Florida though

If Scott Striklin called him after mullen loses to Missouri , kiffin wouldn't coach the dang egg bowl

WhiskeyPirate
11-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Florida is a better job, more resources. Miami although a private school has some very wealthy donors/alums who can write a check. Although their funds dried up when booster fraudster Evan Shapiro was imprisoned.

TrapGame
11-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Gonna be completely unbiased. If I was him , since Ole Miss worships him. Id make them break the bank for me and tell them 9 million per year or I'm leaving and they'd do it.

Could Miami come even close to that number? I know Florida could though but I just don't see him taking Miami .

If Scott Striklin called him after mullen loses to Missouri , kiffin wouldn't coach the dang egg bowl

Kiffin could coach at OM the rest of his life if he wanted. He'd have them perennial top ten. He'd never make the playoffs though.

I'm not ruling out Miami b/c the talent in Florida is insane but he'd for damn sure take the Florida job. And Dan losing to Mizzou this Saturday is entirely possible.

Cowbell
11-17-2021, 02:33 PM
Oklahoma will be a perennial 8-4, 9-3 team in this league - you don't want to be the HC that has to take that blame.

Cowbell
11-17-2021, 02:35 PM
Also, Lincoln Riley may be the most overrated coach in the country. And that is about to get exposed. Think about it - he out talents every team he plays in the regular season and they struggle more often than they should.

Johnson85
11-17-2021, 02:35 PM
Kiffin could coach at OM the rest of his life if he wanted. He'd have them perennial top ten. He'd never make the playoffs though.

I'm not ruling out Miami b/c the talent in Florida is insane but he'd for damn sure take the Florida job. And Dan losing to Mizzou this Saturday is entirely possible.

I think the only reason Miami is a threat is because Kiffin likes south florida. They're not going to outpay Ole Miss at the end of the day. They might sweeten the pot with a longer deal. If they offer $5M a year for 8 years, that's hard for Ole Miss to match with a 4 year deal. I'm just not sure Miami wants to make that kind of commitment.

Coach34
11-17-2021, 02:41 PM

Lane's #1 choice is Miami. It's about location for him- not schools

PikeDawg15
11-17-2021, 02:42 PM
I think the only reason Miami is a threat is because Kiffin likes south florida. They're not going to outpay Ole Miss at the end of the day. They might sweeten the pot with a longer deal. If they offer $5M a year for 8 years, that's hard for Ole Miss to match with a 4 year deal. I'm just not sure Miami wants to make that kind of commitment.

I really think that its gonna come full circle for OM fans when they busted out laughing when mullen left to go to Florida
Just for 4 years later mullen gets fired and former MSU athletic director Scott Striklin steals their coach.

TrapGame
11-17-2021, 02:47 PM
I really think that its gonna come full circle for OM fans when they busted out laughing when mullen left to go to Florida
Just for 4 years later mullen gets fired and former MSU athletic director Scott Striklin steals their coach.

Yeah, that's gonna sting.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2021, 03:19 PM

Yep.

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2021, 04:01 PM

He left Boca for oxford.

ETA: I don't really care either way.

dawgman15
11-17-2021, 04:02 PM
How did a thread about Lincoln Riley turn into another thread about Lane Kiffin

basedog
11-17-2021, 04:07 PM

"Some can't help themselves"**

So back to the topic, Riley to Lsu, maybe. I think it would be a good hire myself.

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2021, 04:09 PM
I am not convinced Riley is as good as the media would have us believe. Something just gives me pause about him, can't put my finger on it.

basedog
11-17-2021, 04:12 PM
I am not convinced Riley is as good as the media would have us believe. Something just gives me pause about him, can't put my finger on it.

Well, he has won lots of games and seems to be a top ten program every year. Not sure why you think he isn't a good Coach. I will say it's typical Big 12 football not to have decent defenses.

Coach34
11-17-2021, 04:24 PM
He left Boca for oxford.

ETA: I don't really care either way.

Huge difference in level of program. Not so with Fla and Miami

dawgman15
11-17-2021, 04:25 PM
In Riley's case he was giving the keys to a Lambo and he hasn't wrecked it

Coach34
Riley is a better coach than Miles and O- and they won titles at LSU.

Maverick91

Do you know how beautiful that melt would be? the entire week they would all be walking about trying to figure out why their beloved head coach just bolted on them. and then they get absolutely creamed in the egg, then they loose all their recruits, then they get the death penalty because they suck so bad and no one wants to watch them anymore.

Maverick91
11-17-2021, 04:28 PM

That is truth!

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2021, 04:30 PM

Agreed

MetEdDawg
11-17-2021, 04:34 PM
To me the big issue I think for Oklahoma long term is going to be changing how/who they recruit to compete in the SEC.

Right now the draw is they are likely to go 11-1 or 12-0 every year and be in the hunt for the playoff. But they aren't built to play an SEC schedule every week.

When you move over to the SEC, you aren't the biggest kid on the block anymore. Oklahoma isn't Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, or LSU. They walk in the conference to me as the 5th best situation and it's going to take years for them to try and change that and adjust to the SEC.

Re-establishing a school in a new conference sounds like the task a coach like Riley won't want. Too many variables that can affect his perception amd cause him to potentially lose his job.

If I were him I take LSU.

PikeDawg15
11-17-2021, 04:41 PM

Oklahoma and texas have by far the greatest talent in the big12 and it ain't even close and lincoln will always stumble against a baylor or tcu etc who have worse talent than Mississippi state.

He does the least with the most in the conference , yeah they always win 10 games but when you have a top 10 recruiting class every year and you are losing to schools that arent even top 35 in recruiting ....

Prediction is he gets to lsu and goes 9-3 a few years and gets canned cause he cant beat saban

TrapGame
11-17-2021, 04:55 PM

No argument there. Lincoln Riley at LSU would be a homerun hire, imo.

basedog
11-17-2021, 05:03 PM
Oklahoma and texas have by far the greatest talent in the big12 and it ain't even close and lincoln will always stumble against a baylor or tcu etc who have worse talent than Mississippi state.

He does the least with the most in the conference , yeah they always win 10 games but when you have a top 10 recruiting class every year and you are losing to schools that arent even top 35 in recruiting ....

Prediction is he gets to lsu and goes 9-3 a few years and gets canned cause he cant beat saban

Maybe it's just me, but I would love to have a Coach who has never lost more than 3 games in a year, his record is 54-9. Now he does have a hard time winning bowl games, Oklahoma will be ok in the Sec, but it will be tougher for them going forward with much better competition.

I also think Riley to Lsu would be a homerun hire.

LC Dawg
11-17-2021, 05:18 PM
I think there are quite a few current coaches that could win national titles at LSU. The trick is finding the guy that can win multiple titles and win consistently.
There are currently five active head coaches that have won titles - and one of them is Ed Orgeron. Only two have won multiple titles. The biggest reason is because of Saban but I also think most coaches don't have the drive that they had early in their career when they start making tens of millions of dollars.
I think a question that coaches need to start asking themselves is "Where do I want to be coaching when Saban retires?" and LSU would be a great place to be.

tireddawg
11-17-2021, 05:42 PM
To me the big issue I think for Oklahoma long term is going to be changing how/who they recruit to compete in the SEC.

Right now the draw is they are likely to go 11-1 or 12-0 every year and be in the hunt for the playoff. But they aren't built to play an SEC schedule every week.

When you move over to the SEC, you aren't the biggest kid on the block anymore. Oklahoma isn't Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, or LSU. They walk in the conference to me as the 5th best situation and it's going to take years for them to try and change that and adjust to the SEC.

Re-establishing a school in a new conference sounds like the task a coach like Riley won't want. Too many variables that can affect his perception amd cause him to potentially lose his job.

If I were him I take LSU.

This just sounds like wishful thinking

BeardoMSU
11-17-2021, 06:04 PM

That's depressing, lol.

1bigdawg
11-17-2021, 06:58 PM
Kiffin could coach at OM the rest of his life if he wanted. He'd have them perennial top ten. ..

I believe you are under-rating Corrall. He is a special QB. Kiffin and the OC have done a great job, but I have seen nothing in either in-game decisions or recruiting to think they will be "perennial top ten."

Cooterpoot
11-17-2021, 07:06 PM

Da 17 you say. OM isn't a perennial top ten team regardless of the coach. Put that pipe down.

Turfdawg67
11-17-2021, 07:33 PM

It's a whole lot of wishful thinking. Some have literally convinced themselves that he'll jump ship ASAP, with little to zero proof. Like a lot of things in life, if it's said over and over, it becomes reality.

TrapGame
11-17-2021, 07:33 PM
Da 17 you say. OM isn't a perennial top ten team regardless of the coach. Put that pipe down.

Yeah, it?s a stretch. Kiffin needs a good QB to run his offense. He?d still be the best head coach ole miss ever had though.

schddog72
11-17-2021, 08:18 PM

Kiffen mentioned yesterday during his interview with Finebum that he still owns a house in Boca Raton.

schddog72
11-17-2021, 08:33 PM
May be rumored but seems to be something going on at Oklahoma, could he really be interested in the Lsu job?

I can't imagine Riley going to LSU. I've been on both campuses. Norman is a nice town and OU has top-notch facilities. Fertile recruiting ground in Texas and Oklahoma. Baton Rouge is a dump, a dung-heap and the LSU campus quite frankly is un-inspiring. I'll grant you Tiger Stadium is equally impressive, but I would take Norman, OK over BR every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Louisiana is also fertile recruiting ground, but Bama and other schools occasionally beat them out for top talent, but then of course, LSU heavily recruits east Texas also. The two big things for me are quality of life (OU) and the delusional expectations of the corndogs. Of course, if they're stupid enough to pay him $13 mil per year, then he'd be just as stupid to turn it down. But make no mistake, OU can match it if they want. I'll bet Mike Gundy at Okie State is licking his chops thinking about Riley possibly leaving.

WhiskeyPirate
11-17-2021, 09:30 PM
I doubt Riley is LSU?s first choice, unless Leach is driving LSU to get an offensive coach that runs a version of the air raid.

A stiff should be able to win 8-9 games a year at lsu

The Federalist Engineer
11-17-2021, 09:35 PM
I can't imagine Riley going to LSU. I've been on both campuses. Norman is a nice town and OU has top-notch facilities. Fertile recruiting ground in Texas and Oklahoma. Baton Rouge is a dump, a dung-heap and the LSU campus quite frankly is un-inspiring. I'll grant you Tiger Stadium is equally impressive, but I would take Norman, OK over BR every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Louisiana is also fertile recruiting ground, but Bama and other schools occasionally beat them out for top talent, but then of course, LSU heavily recruits east Texas also. The two big things for me are quality of life (OU) and the delusional expectations of the corndogs. Of course, if they're stupid enough to pay him $13 mil per year, then he'd be just as stupid to turn it down. But make no mistake, OU can match it if they want. I'll bet Mike Gundy at Okie State is licking his chops thinking about Riley possibly leaving.

I think even Guymon Oklahoma can be nice living with 13M income.

I cannot recall the last coach Oklahoma lost to another college. The cats in OU see the Sooners as on par with Alabama, Michigan, and Notre Dame. There is not a superior collegiate job to Sooner folks.

(1) Wilkerson to HOF retirement
(2) Fairbanks to NFL
(3) Switzer to HOF retirement and the Cowboys
(3) Gibbs fired
(4) Schnellenberger fired
(3) Blake fired
(4) Stoops to HOF retirement

Seems you don't want be Francione 2.0

TUSK
11-18-2021, 12:31 AM

So, by extrapolation, "Riley > Saban"????

I couldn't resist, buddy.... Hope you are well!!!!

basedog
11-18-2021, 08:44 AM
Rumor has it Lsu just offered Riley $96 million over 8 years, if so I bet he is gone!

The Federalist Engineer
11-18-2021, 11:24 AM
Rumor has it Lsu just offered Riley $96 million over 8 years, if so I bet he is gone!

OU can match that of course

LSU is not more wealthy than OU, probably the opposite. It's not like plucking a coach from USM or Cincinnati. OU likely feels insulted and challenged.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Also, Lincoln Riley may be the most overrated coach in the country. And that is about to get exposed. Think about it - he out talents every team he plays in the regular season and they struggle more often than they should.

This is so true! He is not that great of a coach. He just piggy backed on Stoops success and nobody has seemed to notice. He should destroying everyone in the Big 12 and he is not.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-18-2021, 11:38 AM
Interesting yes. Chances of it happening? I say slim to none.

Maverick91
11-18-2021, 12:56 PM

He is currently making 7.5 does your life really change that much make 5 mill more at that level?

500k to 2 mill is a difference. but this doesnt move the needle for me, especially since I agree about the difference in norman and BR.

Dak Holliday
11-18-2021, 01:01 PM
Not 100%, but I?m fairly certain it was said that Louisiana has more instate 5* HS athletes this year than Oklahoma has had in almost a decade. If true, that?s staggering. I could see LR jumping off the wagon, so to speak.

yjnkdawg
11-18-2021, 01:02 PM

LOL Because this has been the norm on here for the last couple of years or so it seems. It used to be agenda driven. Imagine that?

yjnkdawg
11-18-2021, 01:11 PM
He is currently making 7.5 does your life really change that much make 5 mill more at that level?

500k to 2 mill is a difference. but this doesnt move the needle for me, especially since I agree about the difference in norman and BR.

If somebody can't make it on $7.5, and that is an issue, then they probably need to get a new money management firm. I wouldn't see any significant change when you get up into those types of salaries.

Maverick91
11-18-2021, 01:49 PM
If somebody can't make it on $7.5, and that is an issue, then they probably need to get a new money management firm. I wouldn't see any significant change when you get up into those types of salaries.

lol agreed. you can only buy so many yachts

Johnson85
11-18-2021, 02:55 PM

Yes, it's actually a pretty big difference when you are looking at an extra $5M over 8 years. It's a big jump up in lifestyle when you can afford a nice private plane with a private pilot. If you're not running a plane through a business, you have to be worth a lot to be able to manage that. An extra $30M in the bank (which you should be able to manage with an extra $5M a year pre-tax for 8 years) would mean you can have something like a King Air 260 with a full time pilot and fly it more or less as much as you will want to without having to deplete principal (and probably will grow it).

I would agree with you that the difference between having say $8M in the bank and $16M in the bank isn't that big as far as lifestyle goes. But when you get to the point that a crewed plan is on the table without having to feel guilty about it or worry about the expense, that would be a big time difference for me personally.

Johnson85
11-18-2021, 02:59 PM
lol agreed. you can only buy so many yachts

You obviously have less imagination than Latrell Sprewell and don't have a family to feed.**

Maverick91
11-18-2021, 05:46 PM
Yes, it's actually a pretty big difference when you are looking at an extra $5M over 8 years. It's a big jump up in lifestyle when you can afford a nice private plane with a private pilot. If you're not running a plane through a business, you have to be worth a lot to be able to manage that. An extra $30M in the bank (which you should be able to manage with an extra $5M a year pre-tax for 8 years) would mean you can have something like a King Air 260 with a full time pilot and fly it more or less as much as you will want to without having to deplete principal (and probably will grow it).

I would agree with you that the difference between having say $8M in the bank and $16M in the bank isn't that big as far as lifestyle goes. But when you get to the point that a crewed plan is on the table without having to feel guilty about it or worry about the expense, that would be a big time difference for me personally.

I’ll buy that argument!

Maverick91
11-18-2021, 05:47 PM
You obviously have less imagination than Latrell Sprewell and don't have a family to feed.**

You get my point. At some point money is just money and doesn’t really make a difference. And also, I do have a family to feed.

bobtail bob
11-18-2021, 10:09 PM
The most important aspect of this hire for the garlic breath is they must get someone that the average LSU douchebag be wable to talk shit about stealing something from someone else. LSU football is just a means to and end for the Coonass. It enables them to talk shit, spit on people, harass families with kids etc, etc, They love to come off ass good guys welcoming others to Baton Rouge but nothing could be further from the truth. The police there have covered up crime after crime by their players for years and everyone was cool with it. The true Cajun down here is an immoral piece of shit that can’t be trusted at all. That culture problem carries right over into LSU athletics as is a big reason all them sexual crimes got covered up. Inside they are fine with that going on. That whole place should be burnt to the ground.
Totally different people than my friends and family in Mississippi

Dak Holliday
11-18-2021, 10:31 PM
Only place I?ve ever had my car broken into was the Hampton in BR on College St. Don?t worry, though, it wasn?t an issue because it only happens 6-7 times a year, so they keep security there until midnight.

Coach34
11-18-2021, 10:38 PM
aGAIN- Les Miles and Ed Orgeron won National Championships at LSU. Riley is a better coach than both of them.

Oklahoma joining the SEC means they likely become Texas A&M and are just top tier but unlikely to win a Natty. Riley at LSU likely means a natty or two for him.

A raise and a legit shot at a natty? He gone

Dak Holliday
11-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Agree. The recruiting base is more fertile, too.

PikeDawg15
11-19-2021, 12:52 PM
aGAIN- Les Miles and Ed Orgeron won National Championships at LSU. Riley is a better coach than both of them.

Oklahoma joining the SEC means they likely become Texas A&M and are just top tier but unlikely to win a Natty. Riley at LSU likely means a natty or two for him.

A raise and a legit shot at a natty? He gone

When he shows serious interest in it, I heard that OU can match it but they wont match it so..... Who do they go after?

Wake forrest coach?

PikeDawg15
11-19-2021, 12:53 PM
The coonasses want a big name because they think they are above everyone but alabama.

Billy Napier would kill it at lsu but they will never give him the shot because " he's just the ULL coach"

Still baffles me they gave Coach O the job in 16

TrapGame
11-19-2021, 01:03 PM
I just saw an article on Reddit that said James Franklin is tired of the administration at Penn State. He's going hard after the USC job.

PikeDawg15
11-19-2021, 04:39 PM
I just saw an article on Reddit that said James Franklin is tired of the administration at Penn State. He's going hard after the USC job.

Dont blame him