PDA

View Full Version : Carson Williams

preachermatt83
11-15-2021, 08:30 PM
This kid will be a serviceable replacement on the offensive line next year. Mark it down

Catfish
11-15-2021, 08:32 PM
This kid will be a serviceable replacement on the offensive line next year. Mark it down

More info??

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2021, 08:52 PM

I'll take that bet

WhiskeyPirate
11-15-2021, 08:53 PM
I'll take that bet

Chicken in the bread pan picking out dough

-Charlie Daniels

Cooterpoot
11-15-2021, 09:47 PM

Uhh, nope

Dawgfan77
11-16-2021, 07:41 AM

Another one of your Scott county boys. He was a reach and is a good candidate that ends up transferring out.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2021, 08:17 AM
Another one of your Scott county boys. He was a reach and is a good candidate that ends up transferring out.

but he said "mark it down", though....that means is solid, right?**

Johnson85
11-16-2021, 11:01 AM
I'll take that bet

Who do we have that can potentially play on the line next year? Do we have a young OT that we think is going to progress enough to at least be as good as Lashley? And what are the options for LT? As bad as it looks?

ETA:

With zero knowledge, my uneducated guess is:

LT -- ????
LG - Kam Jones
C - Cole Smith
RG - Dollar Bill
RT - Albert Reese

It's a little concerning looking at the depth chart, knowing that somebody that can't beat out Lashley this year is likely going to have to play LT next year.

confucius say
11-16-2021, 11:14 AM
Kam Jones can play RT as well or better than Lashley. But yea I'd like to keep him at guard.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2021, 11:58 AM
Who do we have that can potentially play on the line next year? Do we have a young OT that we think is going to progress enough to at least be as good as Lashley? And what are the options for LT? As bad as it looks?

ETA:

With zero knowledge, my uneducated guess is:

LT -- ????
LG - Kam Jones
C - Cole Smith
RG - Dollar Bill
RT - Albert Reese

It's a little concerning looking at the depth chart, knowing that somebody that can't beat out Lashley this year is likely going to have to play LT next year.

I'm not mad that they didn't just throw a True Fr out at RT just because. We have to get a solid LT but the interior will be solid with Cole, Kam, & Dolla. I think Kam is our Center next year. I think Reese will grow into the role. He'll have ups & downs Bc he'll be a RS FR but his ceiling his huge. We have to find a LT.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Kam Jones can play RT as well or better than Lashley. But yea I'd like to keep him at guard.

He's not better than Lashley at RT.

Johnson85
11-16-2021, 12:19 PM
I'm not mad that they didn't just throw a True Fr out at RT just because. We have to get a solid LT but the interior will be solid with Cole, Kam, & Dolla. I think Kam is our Center next year. I think Reese will grow into the role. He'll have ups & downs Bc he'll be a RS FR but his ceiling his huge. We have to find a LT.

I'm not mad about not playing a true freshman. I just think it's unlikely that anybody that couldn't take Lashley's spot this year is going to improve enough in the off season to be a solid option at LT next year. I'm less concerned about RT. It is conceivable to me that a young player this year just wasn't ready but is going to improve enough to replace Lashley next year. But if the guy that gets to be as good as Lashley is forced to play LT, and we downgrade at RT also, that seems like a recipe for getting pressure with 3 again next year, which makes the 3-8 a hard obstacle to overcome again.

Coach34
11-16-2021, 12:48 PM
The OL is going to take a step back next year. There are no 2 ways around it. Replacing both OT's wont be easy

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2021, 12:50 PM
The OL is going to take a step back next year. There are no 2 ways around it. Replacing both OT's wont be easy

Losing a Top 10 draft pick will do that.

Fader21
11-16-2021, 12:57 PM
Is there any Tackles in the portal right now? Hopefully we go that route.

WhiskeyPirate
11-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Need to go portal or juco

There are quite a few lineman in the portal.

KOdawg1
11-16-2021, 02:29 PM
No offense to the kid, but no he won't.

We reached in a big way on him. At the time, we had his HS and Juco teammate committed to us too, but he flipped to LSU. So we reached on him for nothing basically.

PikeDawg15
11-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Need to go portal or juco

There are quite a few lineman in the portal.

Is the Co Lin OT that is committed to oregon a possible flip to us maybe?

WhiskeyPirate
11-16-2021, 02:44 PM
I like the former four stars who don’t start and transfer out of the blue chip programs like Bama, Clemson, Ohio state. Good players but frustrated playing behind a future Nfl first rounder.

Several good lineman are in that position.

confucius say
11-16-2021, 02:47 PM
Replacing cross will be pretty much impossible.

Replacing lashley won't be be near as hard. Very doable.

preachermatt83
11-16-2021, 07:47 PM

We reached in a big way on him. At the time, we had his HS and Juco teammate committed to us too, but he flipped to LSU. So we reached on him for nothing basically.

Who is now in the transfer portal

preachermatt83
11-16-2021, 07:48 PM
I didn’t say great. I said serviceable. And I stand by it.

CaptainObvious
11-16-2021, 08:46 PM
Maybe, if this kicker thing works out, Leach can hold open tryouts from the student body for LT.

I suggest he start with the Tuba players and the Big Bass Drum player and work out from there.

WhiskeyPirate
11-16-2021, 08:48 PM
Replacing cross will be pretty much impossible.

Replacing lashley won't be be near as hard. Very doable.
True , we probably will upgrade at lashley position

Coach34
11-16-2021, 08:55 PM

I think "hopefully" is a better way to put it

confucius say
11-16-2021, 08:58 PM
Yea it's not a slam dunk you upgrade from lashley. But it is very doable to at least replicate his production. He is serviceable, but that's about it.

Coach34
11-16-2021, 09:49 PM
Yea it's not a slam dunk you upgrade from lashley. But it is very doable to at least replicate his production. He is serviceable, but that's about it.

agree

Homedawg
11-16-2021, 09:59 PM

So we don't have a guy on campus now better than him but we are going to upgrade? Doubt it

Homedawg
11-16-2021, 10:00 PM

Well put

Todd4State
11-17-2021, 02:28 AM

He's essentially almost a freshman. Too soon to give up on him or any OL at this point in their career.

Johnson85
11-17-2021, 09:43 AM

It's very doable to replicate his production, but we are replacing two OTs and the best option is going to go to LT. We better hope that that player is better than Lashley. Our best hope is probably to find a LT in the transfer portal. More or less guaranteed to be a downgrade from Cross, but that would at least let one of our younger players come in and try to replace Lashley, which as you said, is doable. If I were going to bet money, I'd bet that we have a younger player go to LT and be as good or a little better than Lashley, and a younger player go to the RT and be a downgrade, and we will take a significant downgrade on our line next year.

Not unexpected when you are losing a first round OL, but a little tougher losing both OTs in the same year.

BrunswickDawg
11-17-2021, 10:27 AM
It's very doable to replicate his production, but we are replacing two OTs and the best option is going to go to LT. We better hope that that player is better than Lashley. Our best hope is probably to find a LT in the transfer portal. More or less guaranteed to be a downgrade from Cross, but that would at least let one of our younger players come in and try to replace Lashley, which as you said, is doable. If I were going to bet money, I'd bet that we have a younger player go to LT and be as good or a little better than Lashley, and a younger player go to the RT and be a downgrade, and we will take a significant downgrade on our line next year.

Not unexpected when you are losing a first round OL, but a little tougher losing both OTs in the same year.

I'll be interested to see if we get some guys in the game in the 2nd half Saturday that gives us a look at next year. If you look at the participation reports, we have snuck in some PT for OL. Buys and Reese have both seen action in SEC play; Grant Jackson has played in every game but UK, Nick Jones has been in 5 games (NCST & 4 SEC games). It would be good to all these guys play a good bit and maybe spot a couple of kids like Cavazos, Williams, or Boone some PT this week.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2021, 10:33 AM
OL recruiting is fluid. We really need a portal guy to play OT, but our HS board is good. Percy is a Dec. grad that we'd expect to start but he's got to get in better shape and figure out the scheme. I think we'll see a transfer once our guys hit the portal and there's more room, but we'll see.

Hot Rock
11-17-2021, 12:17 PM
Who do we have on the roster now that could possibly develop into a LT for Next year?

We may find out a good bit in the bowl game practices and certainly in the spring.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2021, 01:43 PM
Who do we have on the roster now that could possibly develop into a LT for Next year?

We may find out a good bit in the bowl game practices and certainly in the spring.

I don't think we have 1.

KOdawg1
11-17-2021, 01:51 PM
He's essentially almost a freshman. Too soon to give up on him or any OL at this point in their career.

Not giving up on him. He'll be good depth. But he's not an SEC player. Sorry.

Madisonmd
11-17-2021, 02:02 PM
Not giving up on him. He'll be good depth. But he's not an SEC player. Sorry.

Can anyone name our 2nd string LT as of now?

MaroonFlounder
11-17-2021, 02:18 PM
I hope Reese becomes a starting Tackle for next year. He pancaked Jordan Davis and ended his season in fall practice. Hated that it happened, but it must have been an eye-opener for the coaching staff to witness.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2021, 02:32 PM
I hope Reese becomes a starting Tackle for next year. He pancaked Jordan Davis and ended his season in fall practice. Hated that it happened, but it must have been an eye-opener for the coaching staff to witness.

I think he can be our starting RT

Hot Rock
11-17-2021, 03:32 PM
I think he can be our starting RT

That is good news on the RT. That's one.. Now to find that LT that we don't think we have.

I think it's really hard for a JuCo tackle to come in and be good right away. The speed of the game is just too different but....

Transfers are a bit different. You can get one of those that has been practicing a lot against quality opposition and even played in games as a backup or even a graduate transfer that has been playing and would have two years left due to Covid.

I am still hoping that they can get a guy trained up to do it that is currently on the roster. There is lots of training time and growing time between now and then and they have gotten some pretty good prospects the last couple years. I am not giving up on them finding a guy that can play that is already here.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2021, 03:35 PM
That is good news on the RT. That's one.. Now to find that LT that we don't think we have.

I think it's really hard for a JuCo tackle to come in and be good right away. The speed of the game is just too different but....

Transfers are a bit different. You can get one of those that has been practicing a lot against quality opposition and even played in games as a backup or even a graduate transfer that has been playing and would have two years left due to Covid.

I am still hoping that they can get a guy trained up to do it that is currently on the roster. There is lots of training time and growing time between now and then and they have gotten some pretty good prospects the last couple years. I am not giving up on them finding a guy that can play that is already here.

If someone on our roster is playing LT for us next year then someone has made the biggest jump of any OL I've ever seen or something went terribly wrong.

KOdawg1
11-17-2021, 03:37 PM
My hope for LT is we find a guy in the portal that's a low end draft pick that we can show them Charles Cross and say "Hey, that can be you if you come here for one year."

That position is my biggest worry next year.

Johnson85
11-17-2021, 03:45 PM
If someone on our roster is playing LT for us next year then someone has made the biggest jump of any OL I've ever seen or something went terribly wrong.

I mean, is it reasonable to think we're going to find an adequate LT that isn't on campus right now? Our best hope is that we find a better version of Lashley. A highly rated recruit that got passed by at a blue blood school by an even more highly rated, younger recruit, and that wants a clear path to a starting job. I just don't know how likely it is there is going to be an LT like that in the portal and that we're going to land them. We should be attractive as far as being an SEC team with a wide ass opening at LT, but there will probably be more teams that can claim that or something similar than there are adequate SEC LTs in the portal.

JUCOs are usually not ready right off and I'm not sure if we have any highly rated prospects we're looking at anyway.

Just seems like next year is ripe to be derailed by us not having an SEC quality lineman at LT.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2021, 03:49 PM
I mean, is it reasonable to think we're going to find an adequate LT that isn't on campus right now? Our best hope is that we find a better version of Lashley. A highly rated recruit that got passed by at a blue blood school by an even more highly rated, younger recruit, and that wants a clear path to a starting job. I just don't know how likely it is there is going to be an LT like that in the portal and that we're going to land them. We should be attractive as far as being an SEC team with a wide ass opening at LT, but there will probably be more teams that can claim that or something similar than there are adequate SEC LTs in the portal.

JUCOs are usually not ready right off and I'm not sure if we have any highly rated prospects we're looking at anyway.

Just seems like next year is ripe to be derailed by us not having an SEC quality lineman at LT.

I think it's a lot easier after having an AA & future Top 10 pick to show off perspective portal kids.

Madisonmd
11-17-2021, 06:34 PM
Can anyone name our 2nd string LT as of now?

It's Nick Jones #66, juco tx from EMCC

OLJWales
11-17-2021, 08:43 PM
I think it's a lot easier after having an AA & future Top 10 pick to show off perspective portal kids.

Interesting back and forth between you two on left tackle issue. IYOK: how do you like our portal chances on an outside big nasty?