PDA

View Full Version : Big miss by our Athletic Dept...

JohnnyDawg
11-15-2021, 04:26 PM
We play football at 11am Saturday. (I realize we only knew this game time a week or so ago.) We play basketball on SUNDAY at 2pm. Perfect opportunity missed for a football/basketball DH on Saturday. I realize there is probably a reason this happened, but that's a missed chance to have a mostly-filled Hump if the basketball team is 3-0 and playing at ~4:00pm Saturday.

Johnson85
11-15-2021, 04:30 PM
We play football at 11am Saturday. (I realize we only knew this game time a week or so ago.) We play basketball on SUNDAY at 2pm. Perfect opportunity missed for a football/basketball DH on Saturday. I realize there is probably a reason this happened, but that's a missed chance to have a mostly-filled Hump if the basketball team is 3-0 and playing at ~4:00pm Saturday.

I guess they were trying to avoid a conflict. Seems like if the basketball game isn't being broadcast, we could have kept it TBA until the football game was announced.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2021, 05:18 PM
Basketball times are made well before football times. Can't take the chance that both games are at the same time.

Dawgology
11-15-2021, 05:19 PM
I guess they were trying to avoid a conflict. Seems like if the basketball game isn't being broadcast, we could have kept it TBA until the football game was announced.

Hell, according to everything I've seen the football game isn't even being aired on a regular channel. It's on freaking SECN+. WTF??

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2021, 05:20 PM
Hell, according to everything I've seen the football game isn't even being aired on a regular channel. It's on freaking SECN+. WTF??

That happens regularly when you're playing a FCS opponent.

Catfish
11-15-2021, 05:21 PM

You're right, sec+ and espn+ only.

ScoobaDawg
11-15-2021, 05:52 PM
That happens regularly when you're playing a FCS opponent.

I love reading voices of logic around here...

As Dak Holiday says.
^^^ Like this

DownwardDawg
11-15-2021, 06:16 PM

Same as Florida vs Samford this past Saturday.

whosyourdawgy
11-15-2021, 10:02 PM
So basically all you said was there was a BIG miss by our athletic department but there was really nothing they could do about it. So it really isn?t a BIG miss

Pinto
11-15-2021, 10:17 PM
Actually if they had scheduled the basketball game on the same day they could have adjusted the tip off accordingly to accommodate football. It?s been done before, just like this swing and miss.

So basically all you said was there was a BIG miss by our athletic department but there was really nothing they could do about it. So it really isn?t a BIG miss

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2021, 10:18 PM
Actually if they had scheduled the basketball game on the same day they could have adjusted the tip off accordingly to accommodate football. It?s been done before, just like this swing and miss.

The basketball game is on SEC+ so they choose the time. So no it's not anything the Ath Dept could've done.

Barking 13
11-16-2021, 05:23 AM
Nice weekend to hang out in starkvegas……

Johnson85
11-16-2021, 09:52 AM
The basketball game is on SEC+ so they choose the time. So no it's not anything the Ath Dept could've done.

I really don't understand why SEC+ dictates game times. I kind of get it for basketball; they apparently felt like they needed content on Sunday. But why in the hell are we stuck playing 11:00 am for football? We're going up against an ESPN game regardless and we're not going to take a meaningful amount of ratings away. Why not let us play when we want?

Homedawg
11-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Cause they cut us a big ass check. That's why and how they dictate it.

desotodawg
11-16-2021, 11:17 AM
We are a back up game. Should the 11am game get called due to severe weather or COVID protocols, ours will be aired instead. that and as Homedawg said ... $$$.

Johnson85
11-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Cause they cut us a big ass check. That's why and how they dictate it.

I completely understand why they can dictate game times. I just don't understand why they bother. Desotodawg's point about us being a backup game sort of makes sense, except there aren't SECN+ games backing up all their primetime games. Why not let us backup the evening SEC game rather than the 11am one. Maybe there are plenty of games they can pick up at night but few with the shitty 11am start time and that explains it.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2021, 12:04 PM
I really don't understand why SEC+ dictates game times. I kind of get it for basketball; they apparently felt like they needed content on Sunday. But why in the hell are we stuck playing 11:00 am for football? We're going up against an ESPN game regardless and we're not going to take a meaningful amount of ratings away. Why not let us play when we want?

If you let us play when we want you have to let everyone play when they want also. Then there would be chaos. So TV networks schedule the game times to keep that from happening.

Johnson85
11-16-2021, 12:14 PM
If you let us play when we want you have to let everyone play when they want also. Then there would be chaos. So TV networks schedule the game times to keep that from happening.

I didn't realize there were three SECN+ broadcasts this weekend. I guess a lot of people are scheduling OOC cupcakes the week before rivalry week. I'm still not sure it'd be chaos if there were multiple SEN+ streams going on (does the SECN provide commentators for those streams against FCS teams?), but I do at least get why they want them spread out. On more typical weekends with just one SECN+ broadcast, do they dictate time for those also so they can provide commentators?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2021, 12:45 PM
I didn't realize there were three SECN+ broadcasts this weekend. I guess a lot of people are scheduling OOC cupcakes the week before rivalry week. I'm still not sure it'd be chaos if there were multiple SEN+ streams going on (does the SECN provide commentators for those streams against FCS teams?), but I do at least get why they want them spread out. On more typical weekends with just one SECN+ broadcast, do they dictate time for those also so they can provide commentators?

Yes they still dictate time.

BuckyIsAB****
11-16-2021, 07:18 PM

SECN+ is easy. If they make people pay for ESPN+ to watch it that will be a major problem

yjnkdawg
11-17-2021, 11:41 AM
SECN+ is easy. If they make people pay for ESPN+ to watch it that will be a major problem

I agree and I think they are moving in the ESPN+ direction . When ESPN+ started they weren't airing all these football games.

yjnkdawg
11-17-2021, 11:44 AM
Lets just let every school schedule their own game times and see how Chaos actually works, but our Athletic Department is innocent. :rolleyes:

yjnkdawg
11-17-2021, 12:19 PM
I love reading voices of logic around here...

As Dak Holiday says.
^^^ Like this

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ScoobaDawg again."