PDA

View Full Version : Which former RB

parabrave
11-15-2021, 01:31 PM
would you like to see in this Offense. Me I would've like to see Brandon Hollaway in the o. No more running him up the middle 3 times in a row. Here BR would do what we always wanted; get him the ball in space and let him run wild. He would have been another Dexter McCluster.

dawgday166
11-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Norwood and Miller.

ETA: I love our backs now but the 2 above would be taking some plays to the house.

BeardoMSU
11-15-2021, 01:37 PM
Norwood would be sick in this offense. Perk would've been good too.

Extendedcab
11-15-2021, 01:48 PM
JJ Johnson

sleepy dawg
11-15-2021, 01:52 PM
Kylin Hill, without the attitude. Kinda cheating I guess, since he did have the attitude, but he had special abilities against a 1 on 1 in the open field.

Dak Holliday
11-15-2021, 01:59 PM
This is a tough one considering how different the schemes are for most. I think JJ Johnson, Miller, and Norwood are solid choices. I know he?s not ours, but since he was brought up, Dexter McCluster would have been out of this world in this scheme. I kinda wonder how old school backs like Michael Davis would have faired. With limited people in the box, Davis could block and might be hell to stop for less than 5 ypc. Question would be how well he could catch, and I was a bit too young to remember much more than him being a battering ram.

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2021, 02:13 PM
Kylin Hill, without the attitude. Kinda cheating I guess, since he did have the attitude, but he had special abilities against a 1 on 1 in the open field.

Kylin would be special in this version for sure

smootness
11-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Norwood is pretty much the answer no matter the offense. Croom's offense was probably the worst fit for him of any you could imagine, and he was incredible in it with no talent around him.

Dawg496
11-15-2021, 02:25 PM
IDK, I think Anthony Dixon would have about 11 YPC even if he only got 6-7 carries. He was a pretty decent pass catcher too.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2021, 02:28 PM
Boobie for sure, Vick Ballard. There's a lot of good ones

smootness
11-15-2021, 02:30 PM
Dixon was more about running over you than around you.

WinningIsRelentless
11-15-2021, 02:35 PM
Perkins. Ole miss still hasn?t covered him on a wheel route

thf24
11-15-2021, 02:38 PM
Holloway's game speed always seemed like somewhat of a myth to me. I remember him getting run down by linebackers on some of the few occasions he did have the ball in some space. I think more than anything his toughness and good attitude just made him the best man for the job when we were scraping the bottom of the barrel; not sure he ever had the level of athleticism that many assumed.

My answer based on recency bias would be Kylin. The LSU game last year shows what an absolute monster he'd have been with the right attitude in this offense once it found its feet.

tcdog70
11-15-2021, 02:42 PM
WALTER PACKER

ScoobaDawg
11-15-2021, 02:43 PM
Boobie showed he could catch a lot more in his last year and in the nfl. So for sure him.
But Norwood would be my top choice for ones we really dont know.
JJ would be my 3rd...

parabrave
11-15-2021, 02:50 PM
I picked Holloway because I always wanted to see what he could do on the dumpoffs and the wheel routes; something Muls never would let him do. He was shifty/ Now I'm surprised nobody picked Dicenzo Miller. Whenever he got into space he was gonna at least get you 20 yards.

K9 Avenger
11-15-2021, 02:52 PM
WALTER PACKER
This is the correct answer...

Saltydog
11-15-2021, 03:05 PM
I'd say Dicenzo Miller. Guy was awesome out of the backfield. Take a look at this TD catch against BYU. The vid is bad but he was a heck'uva back for JWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm-_Yv333x4

dawgday166
11-15-2021, 03:07 PM
I picked Holloway because I always wanted to see what he could do on the dumpoffs and the wheel routes; something Muls never would let him do. He was shifty/ Now I'm surprised nobody picked Dicenzo Miller. Whenever he got into space he was gonna at least get you 20 yards.

I believe I did pick Dicenzo. Norwood & Miller were my top two for this offense.

Saltydog
11-15-2021, 03:58 PM
I know the sample size was small but oh what could have been with Nick Turner. Kid was electric with the ball in his hands and he could catch it too. He would've been the perfect fit for this offense. He just happened to have played on some horrible teams (JWS's last two years). If I'm not mistaken he was murdered and so was Darren Williams. Both were kicked off the team not long after Croom arrived.

FISHDAWG
11-15-2021, 04:00 PM
I'd say Dicenzo Miller. Guy was awesome out of the backfield. Take a look at this TD catch against BYU. The vid is bad but he was a heck'uva back for JWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm-_Yv333x4

The days of D Miller and if only we could have had a cleaned up, head on right, ...... Dontae Walker

preachermatt83
11-15-2021, 04:22 PM
Bowling ball

NCDawg
11-15-2021, 04:29 PM
WALTER PACKER

Walter Packer was good-very good. Extremely fast.

mudbugs
11-15-2021, 04:40 PM
I believe the best answer may be Keffer McGee. Hard runner, and good receiver.

RiverCityDawg
11-15-2021, 04:51 PM
I know the sample size was small but oh what could have been with Nick Turner. Kid was electric with the ball in his hands and he could catch it too. He would've been the perfect fit for this offense. He just happened to have played on some horrible teams (JWS's last two years). If I'm not mistaken he was murdered and so was Darren Williams. Both were kicked off the team not long after Croom arrived.

Nick Turner wouldn't have made it 1 week with Leach before getting booted, but yeah his skill set was perfect for this offense.

As others have said, Norwood and Miller are probably the right answers with their hands and ability after the catch, but I also think Boobie would have excelled under Leach. He had great hands, was tough, and was always the most excited to play, something Leach values. I think he would be an elevated version of what we're seeing from DJ now.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2021, 04:52 PM
Kieffer McGee - I remember him in the Peach Bowl as a freshman?. He was one of the best out of the backfield I have seen.

State82
11-15-2021, 05:02 PM
As mentioned above: Walter Packer/Keffer McGee

Maverick91
11-15-2021, 05:19 PM
Hunter Kimball received the most votes of any All-Southern halfback in 1914.

AROB44
11-15-2021, 05:46 PM
WALTER PACKER

👍👍👍👍👍👍

Coursesuper
11-15-2021, 05:48 PM
I believe the best answer may be Keffer McGee. Hard runner, and good receiver.

This is the one, best vision of any back I?ve ever seen play, tragically we lost him to soon. With his vision, ability to see cut back lanes, ability to catch the and toughness he would have been lethal in this offense.

Tater
11-15-2021, 06:12 PM
Boobie / JRob would be Dillon Johnson on steroids.

The key to success in this offense's run plays is running with purpose and punishing the smaller defenders / falling forward. You can tell when a run play is going to be successful (especially with Jo Marks) by how tentative they are when they get handed the ball. The beauty of Boobie was that he would run through a brick wall regardless. And he wasn't terrible at catching passes. I'd enjoy him falling forward every dump off and turning 2-3 yard gains into 5-6 yard gains by power through and falling forward.

R2Dawg
11-15-2021, 07:38 PM
Norwood and Miller.

ETA: I love our backs now but the 2 above would be taking some plays to the house.

Either would be great but Miller just had a little wiggle in the open field after catching a pass that was special. He had that cut back against the grain and a burst not measured in a 40 time but only came out when he got the ball.

Norwood is explosive anywhere he gets it. Pure speed.

Matt3467
11-15-2021, 07:44 PM
I know he was a FB but since I don't see his name tossed around much I think Justin Griffith would compliment this offense well.

tcdog70
11-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Ode Burell-played for Oilers and . was very fast made the Pro bowl in 1965

Johnson85
11-16-2021, 09:45 AM
This is a tough one considering how different the schemes are for most. I think JJ Johnson, Miller, and Norwood are solid choices. I know he?s not ours, but since he was brought up, Dexter McCluster would have been out of this world in this scheme. I kinda wonder how old school backs like Michael Davis would have faired. With limited people in the box, Davis could block and might be hell to stop for less than 5 ypc. Question would be how well he could catch, and I was a bit too young to remember much more than him being a battering ram.

I think the old school backs would be in some ways be even better for this offense, as long as they could catch. They might not be as big of a threat for a big play, but how bad would it suck for DBs having to come make solo tackles against them when they tried to go zone. The right answer is probably Norwood, but I would love to see how somebody like Boobie fared. He still had good speed and a little bit of evasiveness, but I think in some of our shitty stretches where we were dumping off to a lot of RBs behind the line of scrimmage, some of those DBs would have gotten tired of coming up and having to tackle Boobie and he would have gotten some YAC that our current backs couldn't get.

Dak Holliday
11-16-2021, 12:16 PM
I think the old school backs would be in some ways be even better for this offense, as long as they could catch. They might not be as big of a threat for a big play, but how bad would it suck for DBs having to come make solo tackles against them when they tried to go zone. The right answer is probably Norwood, but I would love to see how somebody like Boobie fared. He still had good speed and a little bit of evasiveness, but I think in some of our shitty stretches where we were dumping off to a lot of RBs behind the line of scrimmage, some of those DBs would have gotten tired of coming up and having to tackle Boobie and he would have gotten some YAC that our current backs couldn't get.

Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

somebodyshotmypaw
11-16-2021, 08:12 PM
I know he was a FB but since I don't see his name tossed around much I think Justin Griffith would compliment this offense well.

What would he do? Would he stand around and say “nice catch” or “good job”? Would he say “that’s a great play call”?

Matt3467
11-16-2021, 08:43 PM
What would he do? Would he stand around and say “nice catch” or “good job”? Would he say “that’s a great play call”?

?

boot
11-16-2021, 08:47 PM
Norwood would?ve been perfect.

Dak Holliday
11-16-2021, 09:24 PM
Norwood would?ve been perfect.

Are you the Boot from Scott Co? Used to drive a black Camaro?

Lord McBuckethead
11-16-2021, 10:24 PM
I am pretty sure this is the correct answer here

1. Norwood
2. Norwood
3. Vick Ballard
4. Anthony Dixon
5. Miller
6. Hill
7. Aeris
8. Perkins
9. Holloway
10. Ducre

boot
11-16-2021, 10:26 PM
Nope, but the county is awfully close.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-17-2021, 05:20 AM
Norwood for sure. Would have been great to see Keffer McGee too

Johnson85
11-17-2021, 09:33 AM
?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compliment

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complement

yjnkdawg
11-17-2021, 11:34 AM

Nick Turner had all the potential in the world to be a great player. He was a high 4 star player out of GA. He had some legal problems while at State (maybe got in the wrong crowd) and Croom dismissed him because he didn't feel he was the type of player to represent MSU. He was accused of murder in GA and not murdered though.

Matt3467
11-17-2021, 12:32 PM
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compliment

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complement

Yea idk what you or that other guy are on but Griffith was a great back for us with NFL talent. Someone on here mentioned having a bigger downhill back may be better and I tend to agree especially one that can block.

Johnson85
11-17-2021, 12:41 PM
Yea idk what you or that other guy are on but Griffith was a great back for us with NFL talent. Someone on here mentioned having a bigger downhill back may be better and I tend to agree especially one that can block.

The original poster you were responding to was making a joke about you using "compliment" when you meant "complement". I just provided the links to explain the joke he made.

Griffith was criminally underrated. He would have been a really good tailback for us but he just happened to be on teams with other good tailbacks and he was versatile enough to play fullback. In today's game, a player like that probably hits the transfer portal so they can be featured.