PDA

View Full Version : I think Air Raid Will Work in the SEC

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2021, 04:01 PM
That narrative died today & should never be stated again.

I don't care how much we run it or what we do, Mike Leach is a DUDE & it's time for everyone to get fully behind this.

We got CFB Joe Montana for 3 more years. Think about that

vindastra
11-13-2021, 04:03 PM
Hear! hear!

RougeDawg
11-13-2021, 04:08 PM
Everyone said year two is the year to see it under Leach. People forget that those things occurred in other conferences.

This is the best defensive conference in all of football this side of the nfl. And the next defensive league isn?t even close. It?s worked before and it has taken a little longer against the heat defenses, but the glimmers of hope from game 7 last year til now are starting to become a regular spotlight.

Shout out to Dillon Johnson. Dude runs on a mission.

Bothrops
11-13-2021, 04:12 PM

I don't care how much we run it or what we do, Mike Leach is a DUDE & it's time for everyone to get fully behind this.

That narrative definitely dies today as Leach picks up his 4th victory against a ranked opponent.

gravedigger
11-13-2021, 04:17 PM
Perpetrated by people who wanted to believe it.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 04:18 PM

Amen to that!

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 04:19 PM
Perpetrated by people who wanted to believe it.

And those people are strangely absent today

TrapGame
11-13-2021, 04:19 PM
And it wasn't boring to watch either. Good God.

Catfish
11-13-2021, 04:20 PM

I still have goosebumps!!!!!

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 04:20 PM

Outside of bama hasn't been boring all year.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2021, 04:24 PM
Gonna be subdued Monday Morning QB. Guess he and other "insiders" will find an excuse of why it's working now but Leach still hasn't conformed

Tater
11-13-2021, 04:25 PM
And those people are strangely absent today

He already admitted he didn't enjoy watching our style of play. Prioritized other things and he can't be right so he moved on. Some people like being right more than watching our success. Is what it is

dawgday166
11-13-2021, 04:27 PM
Today reminded me of Joe's comeback win against Saints in 1980.

Matt3467
11-13-2021, 04:27 PM
Everyone said year two is the year to see it under Leach. People forget that those things occurred in other conferences.

This is the best defensive conference in all of football this side of the nfl. And the next defensive league isn?t even close. It?s worked before and it has taken a little longer against the heat defenses, but the glimmers of hope from game 7 last year til now are starting to become a regular spotlight.

Shout out to Dillon Johnson. Dude runs on a mission.

I honestly thought it'd take year 3 to see this level of success but glad to be wrong. I was really worried about Leach taking 3 years anyway with this patience level of the fanbase. We're a completely different team from the first few games of the year.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 04:42 PM

You know what is boring ? Being a power run team all those years and getting your offense stuffed by good defenses and not even scoring 10 points now that's boring lol

MetEdDawg
11-13-2021, 04:50 PM
Wins like this help your program more than losses to Memphis hurt.

The 7-5 or 8-4 we will end up with isn't the same 7-5 or 8-4 we've had in years past. If you want to get recognized you have to beat quality opponents. In the past we would go 7-5 or 8-4 with no ranked wins. Or maybe 1.

This year we have 4 ranked wins and could end up with 5. That's what gets you big time recruits and folks to respect your program. Not all 7-5 seasons are created equal and Leach is doing what he needs to do to bring notoriety to the program.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 04:53 PM

The 7-5 or 8-4 we will end up with isn't the same 7-5 or 8-4 we've had in years past. If you want to get recognized you have to beat quality opponents. In the past we would go 7-5 or 8-4 with no ranked wins. Or maybe 1.

This year we have 4 ranked wins and could end up with 5. That's what gets you big time recruits and folks to respect your program. Not all 7-5 seasons are created equal and Leach is doing what he needs to do to bring notoriety to the program.

Great post!

Todd4State
11-13-2021, 04:54 PM
You know what is boring ? Being a power run team all those years and getting your offense stuffed by good defenses and not even scoring 10 points now that's boring lol

A freaking men. I was beyond tired of teams putting 9 in the box and daring our QB to beat them. Especially since whoever it was usually couldn't through the air.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 05:00 PM
A freaking men. I was beyond tired of teams putting 9 in the box and daring our QB to beat them. Especially since whoever it was usually couldn't through the air.

Exactly! It got really old. In the past this game would've wound up 49-10 or so, with no chance of a comeback. It was always pretty much predictable.

Maroonthirteen
11-13-2021, 05:01 PM
Your BS attacks of Will should have died weeks ago.

Tater
11-13-2021, 05:03 PM
It's exciting to me to know that our QB is doing what adjustments I as a fan see we need to make presnap and throw. The second TD to Polk drive, I yelled every play adjustment we needed to make presnap and then Will did that.

That's ****ing amazing for a 19 year old at ground level to do. I had the luxury of broadcast view. He's learning and reading right before our eyes. Really, the only thing that has truly stopped him all game this year is the greatest defensive football mind coming up with brand new wrinkles to stop us. That's literally it. He gets reps against what the defense is doing and he adjusts and finds the weakness. This is why I'm excited.

gravedigger
11-13-2021, 05:40 PM
You win once or twice every 25 years.

DownwardDawg
11-13-2021, 06:01 PM
Outside of bama hasn't been boring all year.

I agree. I'm pleasantly surprised but this is fun to watch since we've gotten better.

TrapGame
11-13-2021, 06:05 PM
I agree. I'm pleasantly surprised but this is fun to watch since we've gotten better.

People that say this offense is "boring" just don't like Leach, period. This offense is anything but boring.

Patrick Tibbons
11-13-2021, 06:07 PM
It's exciting to me to know that our QB is doing what adjustments I as a fan see we need to make presnap and throw. The second TD to Polk drive, I yelled every play adjustment we needed to make presnap and then Will did that.

That's ****ing amazing for a 19 year old at ground level to do. I had the luxury of broadcast view.

Legit lol.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 06:10 PM

It's been a blast to watch for sure!

Tater
11-13-2021, 06:13 PM
Legit lol.

How often do we, as fans, get mad at the QB not seeing what we see? When we have a sky view, that shit is an unrealistic expectation.

And Will met that today.

R2Dawg
11-13-2021, 06:17 PM

What was said by many is that what we were doing the first year and a half will not work. We have run the ball more and we are getting his run yards now instead of blowing up our RB on dump downs. That is balance in the air raid. Fine line between a throw to RB and long handoff.

Apples and oranges from folks complaining about where we were. You can' stop your victory lap now.

Tater
11-13-2021, 06:21 PM
What was said by many is that what we were doing the first year and a half will not work. We have run the ball more and we are getting his run yards now instead of blowing up our RB on dump downs. That is balance in the air raid. Fine line between a throw to RB and long handoff.

Apples and oranges from folks complaining about where we were. You can' stop your victory lap now.

We scored 5 TDs in a row before we found any success running the ball. Just need to post that context.

MBDawg601
11-13-2021, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, this offense has have drop backs for the defense to wear down. The more we drop back and make them cover the entire field (even without much success) we are wearing their ass out. We eventually have receivers getting separation and their pass rush backs off. Big fellas get gassed.

Much easier to run routes than try to zone cover and run to the ball for 4 quarters.

dawgday166
11-13-2021, 06:32 PM
People that say this offense is "boring" just don't like Leach, period. This offense is anything but boring.

Liverpool having a bad day today ****

TrapGame
11-13-2021, 06:39 PM
Liverpool having a bad day today ****

Anybody that thinks Leach is washed up and just here for a check to pad his retirement after this game needs to find another college team to root for. Leach is an elite level coach. And he's ours for a while.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-13-2021, 06:43 PM

This can't be true. A member of this board coined a stupid term for this offense and assured us it wouldn't work based on his vast football knowledge.

MBDawg601
11-13-2021, 06:44 PM
This can't be true. A member of this board coined a stupid term for this offense and assured us it wouldn't work based on his vast football knowledge.

The most proven head coach we have had in a long time. He has turned the program around in year 2. The first year was a covid year than was uncharted territory for everyone. We should be thankful we were able to land Leach. A lot of schools will be trying to take him this year. Hope we can keep him.

TrapGame
11-13-2021, 06:52 PM
The most proven head coach we have had in a long time. He has turned the program around in year 2. The first year was a covid year than was uncharted territory for everyone. We should be thankful we were able to land Leach. A lot of schools will be trying to take him this year. Hope we can keep him.

I doubt very seriously Leach leaves Starkville and goes somewhere else other than Key West to officially retire 6 or 7 years from now. Now, another coach in the state is probably gone after this year especially if Mizzou wins next Saturday.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 06:55 PM
Anybody that thinks Leach is washed up and just here for a check to pad his retirement after this game needs to find another college team to root for. Leach is an elite level coach. And he's ours for a while.

This. People want instant gratification and don't want to give anyone time to
make their system work. It's why you have to be patient and let things play out instead of making summary judgements quickly cause that can make people look like fools down the road.

MBDawg601
11-13-2021, 06:56 PM
I doubt very seriously Leach leaves Starkville and goes somewhere else other than Key West to officially retire 6 or 7 years from now. Now, another coach in the state is probably gone after this year especially if Mizzou wins next Saturday.

I hope you are right. Unfortunately, actual football coaches are in limited supply. You can see by all of the recent hires. We have one that knows how to run a program. Has done it successfully at two prior stops.

I mean think about it, of all the coaches in the SEC. Leach has to be in the top 4. We take it for granted sometimes.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-13-2021, 06:59 PM
I hope you are right. Unfortunately, actual football coaches are in limited supply. You can see by all of the recent hires. We have one that knows how to run a program. Has done it successfully and two prior stops.

I mean think about it, of all the coaches in the SEC. Leach has to be in the top 4. We take it for granted sometimes.

I would not trade Leach for any coach in the SEC except Saban and Smart.

TrapGame
11-13-2021, 07:03 PM
I would not trade Leach for any coach in the SEC except Saban and Smart.

THIS.

Leach doesn't jump ship. He could have left Tech and Wash St. several times for other programs. He likes to stay in one spot for a while. I believe we have him until he sails off into the sunset for Key West.

dawgday166
11-13-2021, 07:03 PM
I hope you are right. Unfortunately, actual football coaches are in limited supply. You can see by all of the recent hires. We have one that knows how to run a program. Has done it successfully at two prior stops.

Historically speaking ... there isn't a coach in the league that has Leach's kinda resume without top 5 recruiting classes every year. I've said and will still say Leach does more with less than anyone else and next up is probably Mullen. Mullen can coach when he wants to. He just don't always want to.

IMissJack
11-13-2021, 07:04 PM

I was doubtful myself. But you can't objectively look at the wins over ranked teams this year and say it won't work. If Leach can recruit a great defense at MSU, look out. We have had great defenses in the past, but usually did not put them together with great offenses.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2021, 07:18 PM

And getting behind and knowing you have no chance of coming back. Soooo many years of that. Losing but fans still screaming RTGDF... like, we've done that for 100+ years.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2021, 07:30 PM
And getting behind and knowing you have no chance of coming back. Soooo many years of that. Losing but fans still screaming RTGDF... like, we've done that for 100+ years.

Yep and it's time we tried something different and it's starting to work.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2021, 07:34 PM
I was doubtful myself. But you can't objectively look at the wins over ranked teams this year and say it won't work. If Leach can recruit a great defense at MSU, look out. We have had great defenses in the past, but usually did not put them together with great offenses.

Not you directly, but ppl now saying "I wasn't sure" were absolutely ripping leach a new a-hole and saying how much he's "set back the program" until we can get back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Hahaha!

WhiskeyPirate
11-13-2021, 08:23 PM
Florida would make sense if they tried to steal leach but they are too stupid,

I think leach retires in Starkville after making a b c s playoff run.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2021, 08:27 PM
Like CC24 said earlier... where are all the negative posters?? I sadly believe these ppl really would rather us lose than to admit they were wrong.

BeardoMSU
11-13-2021, 08:30 PM

Excellent point!

DLGDawg
11-13-2021, 08:46 PM
I agree Tater. And to this uneducated eye, The game has slowed down for Will. He's going through his progessions so fast now(today anyway).

On one TD he went thru all 4....then came back to Johnson close to the goal line for the TD(I think).

That's ****ing amazing for a 19 year old at ground level to do. I had the luxury of broadcast view. He's learning and reading right before our eyes. Really, the only thing that has truly stopped him all game this year is the greatest defensive football mind coming up with brand new wrinkles to stop us. That's literally it. He gets reps against what the defense is doing and he adjusts and finds the weakness. This is why I'm excited.

RougeDawg
11-13-2021, 10:03 PM
I honestly thought it'd take year 3 to see this level of success but glad to be wrong. I was really worried about Leach taking 3 years anyway with this patience level of the fanbase. We're a completely different team from the first few games of the year.

There were glimpses last year of an offense ready to hit on all cylinders when all cylinders fired simultaneously. There was ethanol fuel without additive in 2020. 2021 they?ve adds a little StaBil to the offense with continuity and repetitiveness. Next years offense will be ethanol free.

WhiskeyPirate
11-13-2021, 10:10 PM
I agree Tater. And to this uneducated eye, The game has slowed down for Will. He's going through his progessions so fast now(today anyway).

On one TD he went thru all 4....then came back to Johnson close to the goal line for the TD(I think).
Good point. Will is going through his reads about four times as fast as he did at the beginning of the year. The Danny wuerfell comparison is a good one if will continues to improve. Wuerfells arm was too weak to make it 8n the nfl but he was a better athlete than given credit. Several nfl teams gave him a shot iirc.

DAWG1903
11-14-2021, 07:23 AM

This all day! As y'all know - we have wins against 4 ranked teams and two on the road. That will interest recruits.

Cooterpoot
11-14-2021, 07:25 AM
This all day! As y'all know - we have wins against 4 ranked teams and two on the road. That will interest recruits.

It won't make much difference. Do it over time and it will.

DAWG1903
11-14-2021, 07:26 AM

Amen! We are watching the maturation of what will be one of the greatest QB's to ever wear the Maroon and White. Buy your tickets now and for the next several years ladies and gentlemen because this is going to be fun.

DAWG1903
11-14-2021, 07:35 AM

It's time to get behind this team and this system - Leach is not going anywhere and it is going to be exciting. Buy your tickets while you can....they will be scarce.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-14-2021, 09:23 AM
Even if Leach failed he was 100% the right hire. MSU has to take chances in football in order to try and gain an edge.