PDA

View Full Version : Comparing our games to Ole Miss's games

PassInterference
11-18-2013, 12:13 PM
We're not gonna get any cred for this, and that's not the point. I don't give a shit about cred. I do care about how we view ourselves.

MSU vs OSU, OM vs Texas
-------------------------
Ole Miss played a Texas team the same week that Texas fired their DC. Texas was also short a QB. We could have throttled Texas that day. OM thinks they did something big. They did not.

We played really well against OSU until Tyler Russell took a hard shot to the head early in the game. The offense grinded to a halt at that point. Our defense played lights out and held the OSU offense to their lowest output of the year.

MSU vs UK, OM vs Vandy
------------------------
Both Mississippi schools had letdown games against their annual SEC East doormat. Bottom line, we earned the W. Ole Miss had a busted play where multiple Vandy guys stop playing because they think Jeff Scott is going out of bounds. It was a fluke play at the end of the game. Ole Miss got lucky and broke their losing streak against Vandy. We played like shit too, but at least we earned the W with a defensive stop.

MSU vs LSU, OM vs LSU
-----------------------
When we played LSU, Mett played outstanding. National writers said LSU could win out if Mett continued to play like that. Barrett Sallee called LSU's offense "scary good" (he called our DL "solid"). We played LSU well with tight coverage. But tight coverage can't defend perfect passes which is what Mett served up all night.

When OM played LSU, Mett played like shit. Mett threw 3 unforced INTs. His 3 INTs were pretty much like the INT Russell threw against Bama. LSU played like shit against OM and OM squeaks out a W.

We each scored about the same points (26 vs 27) against LSU's defense. The difference was the LSU offense played with their hair on fire when they played us and our defense's will was broken in the 4th quarter.

MSU vs Bama, OM vs Bama
--------------------------
OM loses 25-0. They never had a chance. None. Zero.

We play Bama and gave ourselves a chance to win. We held the Bama offense to their lowest output of the year.

MSU vs aTm, OM vs aTm
------------------------
This one is pretty much a draw. aTm had to come back and beat OM in Oxford. We mounted a nice comeback against aTm on the road and fell a little short.

MSU vs Auburn, OM vs Auburn
-----------------------------
Auburn hung a solid L on Ole Miss. Auburn had to come back on us and BARELY beat us by the skin of their teeth on the last play of the game. Nuff said.

MSU vs Troy, OM vs Troy
We beat Troy a lot worse.

The differences in our records is that they beat Texas while we lost to OSU. They beat LSU and we didn't. That's it. Period. Other than that, we have one more loss than them because we played South Carolina on the road and OM hasn't played Missou at home yet.

Now look, folks. Against similar competition, we played better. We didn't have Ole Miss's luck to get the Ws in some of those. We didn't get to play our Big 12 team minus their DC and QB and minus our starting QB with a concussion. We didn't have the luxury of Zach Mett giving away a game. That's the way it goes. Anyway other than some luck that they had, we've played better against similar competition.

But give our team a fair shake. There is not much difference between OM and MSU, but we are the better team. Don't let those Ole Miss shits convince you they are better than us. They've had luck and media on their side this year. We'll see what value that carries on Thanksgiving - not a damn thing! We're going to beat their ass.

Hail Damn State.

Ronny
11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
...messageboard like this allows for the imagination to run wild, but you need to reign it in a little.

Ole Miss is better than us in every aspect of the game.

I never understood how people could watch a woebegone team like MSU & feel anything but depression. The kicker can't kick, the defense can't tackle, the coach can't coach & the offense makes too many bone-headed mistakes to be effective. That's the MSU team I've seen all season. When I study MSU football I just see a all around lazy football team.

Here's what I've seen this season: Ole Miss is better coached, has better players, plays with energy & is a team with a high football I.Q.

In other words, they are the opposite of MSU.

Entreat your fantasies all you want, but OM is going to bitchslap MSU on Thanksgiving.

PassInterference
11-18-2013, 12:36 PM
I'll give you the kickers. I would trade any FG kicker in the nation for our's.

If you think our defense isn't good, well then we can just stop debating.

MadDawg
11-18-2013, 12:45 PM
.....messageboards like this allows for the negativity to run wild, but you need to reign it in a little.

Here's what I've seen this season: Ole Miss is better coached, has better players, plays with energy & is a team with a high football I.Q.

Entreat your fantasies all you want, but OM is going to bitchslap MSU on Thanksgiving.

HancockCountyDog
11-18-2013, 01:02 PM
...messageboard like this allows for the imagination to run wild, but you need to reign it in a little.

I never understood how people could watch a woebegone team like MSU & feel anything but depression. The kicker can't kick, the defense can't tackle, the coach can't coach & the offense makes too many bone-headed mistakes to be effective. That's the MSU team I've seen all season. When I study MSU football I just see a all around lazy football team.

If Dak or Russell play, we are winning the Egg Bowl - put it in the archives;

jimbo352
11-18-2013, 01:05 PM
If Dak or Russell play, we are winning the Egg Bowl - put it in the archives;

I don't feel confident without Dak... With Dak, we prison rape the blackbears...

HancockCountyDog
11-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Also, Im tired of the negative talk, we play the bears in two weeks we will see where we are with them then.

I could give a shit less what everyone thinks, we will play them in two weeks, and bucky better have them ready.

smootness
11-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Both your post and PassInterference's are a little extreme, on opposite ends of the spectrum, but his was far more in tune with reality.

getatmedawg
11-18-2013, 01:24 PM
It's next to impossible to compare wins and losses in college football. You can't say that since we beat this team much worse than they did that we are better. It just doesn't work that way. There are far too many intangibles in college football. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to rationalize the quality of wins and losses. As of right now, MSU has a higher strength of schedule than Ole Miss (not by a huge margin) and Ole Miss has the better record. The only games that you can really compare are the LSU game and the Auburn game. LSU had a much better game against MSU and Auburn has a much better game against OM. Was it because either team was flat? QB's girlfriend cheated on them the night before? Who knows.

RougeDawg
11-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Anyone who says OM is better than us in every aspect of the game has not watched any football this year. The only thing they are better at, is getting the ball in their better players hands. Their WR are all they have. They throw it to them on screens and just heave it up down field. The receivers make or break their offense and ther defense is garbage. We should roll them up next Thursday unless we cannot tackle on the 40 bubble screens a game they run.

maroonmania
11-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Also, Im tired of the negative talk, we play the bears in two weeks we will see where we are with them then.

I could give a shit less what everyone thinks, we will play them in two weeks, and bucky better have them ready.

Agreed, it will all play out on the field in a couple of weeks although if we have to play them without Dak it changes the whole dynamic of the game. I will say though that trying to look at things objectively that they have more consistent playmakers on offense and are generally better on special teams while we are probably a little better than them on defense. With Dak we have a good chance to win in Starkville. Without Dak not very good because OM feasts on immobile QBs like TR and I just don't think Williams is ready yet.

PassInterference
11-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Agreed, it will all play out on the field in a couple of weeks although if we have to play them without Dak it changes the whole dynamic of the game. I will say though that trying to look at things objectively that they have more consistent playmakers on offense and are generally better on special teams while we are probably a little better than them on defense. With Dak we have a good chance to win in Starkville. Without Dak not very good because OM feasts on immobile QBs like TR and I just don't think Williams is ready yet.

Is Ole Miss's defense better than Alabama's? Alabama did not feast on Tyler Russell. I think they had one sack.

wobblyh
11-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Is Ole Miss's defense better than Alabama's? Alabama did not feast on Tyler Russell. I think they had one sack.

So by that logic, UK has a better defense than Bama, right? They sacked MSU 4 times to Bama's 1....

I don't think common opponents can tell you much. I'm a firm believer in matchups. OM has struggled against mobile QBs making things happen when the play breaks down (A&M and Auburn) and against teams who can get pressure from their front 4 (Alabama and Auburn). I think MSU can be successful in both those regards against OM. But the same is true the other way around. It'll come down to who can take away the other's strength most effectively.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Just being realistic, but I think ole miss has performed much better than us this season. Does that mean they are a better team? No not necessarily. I just think that they have some momentum and that Freeze is bringing in good talent, and they are playing hard for 4 quarters. They also believe they can win every game and play like it.

The truth is, against Arkansas I saw a little bit of the flare and excitement missing for that ole miss team. Not a whole lot of difference, but a little bit. Now I'm not saying this is 100% going to happen....but I could see that excitement around their program due to the new coach start to wear off a little bit over the next season or two. ESPECIALLY if they lose to Mizzou this week and then to us next week.

Now, they are still recruiting at a high level, so that will carry them a while...but the recruiting should slide a little and balance back out to around the top 20-25 by two years from now after the wave of emotion is gone.

We badly need for them to lose to Mizzou and then beat them in the Egg bowl. In a sense, that would basically wipe out everything positive they had going for them and put us back as the best team in the State. Because we would be 6-6 and have just beaten them, and they will be 7-5 and limping to the finish line.

Now I personally think they beat Mizzou this weekend....but I hope like hell they lose because things could do a complete 180 in these last two weeks in this state. And I promise you it is in the backs of their minds right now. We just need to make sure to remind them, especially if they lose this weekend. Let them know that they are a Thanksgiving loss from basically being right back where they were two years ago in this state...2nd fiddle. But as of right now...they are 1st, and there is no disputing it.

RougeDawg
11-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Just being realistic, but I think ole miss has performed much better than us this season. Does that mean they are a better team? No not necessarily. I just think that they have some momentum and that Freeze is bringing in good talent, and they are playing hard for 4 quarters. They also believe they can win every game and play like it.

The truth is, against Arkansas I saw a little bit of the flare and excitement missing for that ole miss team. Not a whole lot of difference, but a little bit. Now I'm not saying this is 100% going to happen....but I could see that excitement around their program due to the new coach start to wear off a little bit over the next season or two. ESPECIALLY if they lose to Mizzou this week and then to us next week.

Now, they are still recruiting at a high level, so that will carry them a while...but the recruiting should slide a little and balance back out to around the top 20-25 by two years from now after the wave of emotion is gone.

We badly need for them to lose to Mizzou and then beat them in the Egg bowl. In a sense, that would basically wipe out everything positive they had going for them and put us back as the best team in the State. Because we would be 6-6 and have just beaten them, and they will be 7-5 and limping to the finish line.

Now I personally think they beat Mizzou this weekend....but I hope like hell they lose because things could do a complete 180 in these last two weeks in this state. And I promise you it is in the backs of their minds right now. We just need to make sure to remind them, especially if they lose this weekend. Let them know that they are a Thanksgiving loss from basically being right back where they were two years ago in this state...2nd fiddle. But as of right now...they are 1st, and there is no disputing it.

Not saying you are incorrect, but I'm curious as to why you feel so confident that they'll beat Mizzou? From what I've seen on Mizzou's defense, OM will struggle to win this one. Mizzou is going to score a lot of points this week. I don't see Locks and Co holding serve against one of the best front 4 in SEC. Just my opinion of course.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Not saying you are incorrect, but I'm curious as to why you feel so confident that they'll beat Mizzou? From what I've seen on Mizzou's defense, OM will struggle to win this one. Mizzou is going to score a lot of points this week. I don't see Locks and Co holding serve against one of the best front 4 in SEC. Just my opinion of course.

Didn't say I was confident...just that I think they will win.

Mainly because they are at home, and haven't played a meaningful game in two weeks, so I feel like they'll be up for it. And because I am seeing tons of people act like Mizzou will win easily, and I know better.

I think it will be a close game, that ole miss will win by 7 or less

ThisIsAUserName
11-18-2013, 02:22 PM
We're not gonna get any cred for this, and that's not the point. I don't give a shit about cred. I do care about how we view ourselves.

MSU vs OSU, OM vs Texas
Ole Miss played a Texas team the same week that Texas fired their DC. Texas was also short a QB. We could have throttled Texas that day. OM thinks they did something big. They did not.

We played really well against OSU until Tyler Russell took a hard shot to the head early in the game. The offense grinded to a halt at that point. Our defense played lights out and held the OSU offense to their lowest output of the year.

So a 21 point win on the road over a now 7-3 team is not worth anything? And it's comparable to an 18 point loss at a neutral site?

Each team have up roughly the same points (23-21), while Ole Miss scored 44 and MSU scored 3.

Advantage: Ole Miss

MSU vs UK, OM vs Vandy
------------------------
Both Mississippi schools had letdown games against their annual SEC East doormat. Bottom line, we earned the W. Ole Miss had a busted play where multiple Vandy guys stop playing because they think Jeff Scott is going out of bounds. It was a fluke play at the end of the game. Ole Miss got lucky and broke their losing streak against Vandy. We played like shit too, but at least we earned the W with a defensive stop.

Vandy is 6-4 with 3 SEC wins. Kentucky is 2-8 with 0 SEC wins.

Please tell me you don't think they are comparable.

MSU vs LSU, OM vs LSU
-----------------------
When we played LSU, Mett played outstanding. National writers said LSU could win out if Mett continued to play like that. Barrett Sallee called LSU's offense "scary good" (he called our DL "solid"). We played LSU well with tight coverage. But tight coverage can't defend perfect passes which is what Mett served up all night.

When OM played LSU, Mett played like shit. Mett threw 3 unforced INTs. His 3 INTs were pretty much like the INT Russell threw against Bama. LSU played like shit against OM and OM squeaks out a W.

We each scored about the same points (26 vs 27) against LSU's defense. The difference was the LSU offense played with their hair on fire when they played us and our defense's will was broken in the 4th quarter.

So Ole Miss gets no credit for causing 3 turnovers? I was unaware that the defense had nothing to do with those.

Ole Miss wins by 3 at home. MSU loses by 33 at home. Again, not even comparable. (Oh and Ole Miss did it with third string guys starting at three positions on D.)

MSU vs Bama, OM vs Bama
--------------------------
OM loses 25-0. They never had a chance. None. Zero.

We play Bama and gave ourselves a chance to win. We held the Bama offense to their lowest output of the year.

Ole Miss doesn't get credit because LSU played sloppily, but MSU gets credit for Bama playing sloppily?

Granted, Ole Miss couldn't punch it into the endzone. Though they did play away.

Advantage: MSU

MSU vs aTm, OM vs aTm
------------------------
This one is pretty much a draw. aTm had to come back and beat OM in Oxford. We mounted a nice comeback against aTm on the road and fell a little short.

A last second loss on a field goal is a draw with a 10 point loss that was a 24 point margin in the 4th?

Also, Ole Miss doesn't get credit for Mettenberger playing poorly, but MSU should get credit for Manziel playing poorly?

Again, you had to stretch really far for this.

MSU vs Auburn, OM vs Auburn
-----------------------------
Auburn hung a solid L on Ole Miss. Auburn had to come back on us and BARELY beat us by the skin of their teeth on the last play of the game. Nuff said.

Not so fast my friend. Most people on here feel that the Auburn win over MSU catapulted the rest of their season, including a close win over Ole Miss when Ole Miss played a poor game.

MSU was closer to winning, though.

MSU vs Troy, OM vs Troy
We beat Troy a lot worse.

Ole Miss gave up a few garbage time TDs. They also played Wallace only a few snaps in the second half. Either way, Troy is horrible and is like comparing two UFC fighters beating up a third grader.

Advantage: Draw

The differences in our records is that they beat Texas while we lost to OSU. They beat LSU and we didn't. That's it. Period. Other than that, we have one more loss than them because we played South Carolina on the road and OM hasn't played Missou at home yet.

Now look, folks. Against similar competition, we played better. We didn't have Ole Miss's luck to get the Ws in some of those. We didn't get to play our Big 12 team minus their DC and QB and minus our starting QB with a concussion. We didn't have the luxury of Zach Mett giving away a game. That's the way it goes. Anyway other than some luck that they had, we've played better against similar competition.

But give our team a fair shake. There is not much difference between OM and MSU, but we are the better team. Don't let those Ole Miss shits convince you they are better than us. They've had luck and media on their side this year. We'll see what value that carries on Thanksgiving - not a damn thing! We're going to beat their ass.

Hail Damn State.

From the eye test and from objective measures, Ole Miss has the better team overall, better coaches, and is playing better.

Goat Holder
11-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Common opponents (+/- 3 for home field):

Auburn: We lose by 1 and they lose by 5.
LSU: We lose by 36 and they win by 0.
Alabama: We lose by 16 and they lose by 22
Texas A&M: We lose by 7 and they lose by 6
Troy: We win by 52 and they win by 27

By that logic, we're 2 points better than them. 5 points for home field. But take Troy out and do strictly SEC, and they are 33 points better than us, 30 for home. Ha, that pretty much renders that shit useless. Take the middle ground, they beat us by about 17-18.

bluelightstar
11-18-2013, 02:33 PM
So a 21 point win on the road over a now 7-3 team is not worth anything? And it's comparable to an 18 point loss at a neutral site?

Each team have up roughly the same points (23-21), while Ole Miss scored 44 and MSU scored 3.

Vandy is 6-4 with 3 SEC wins. Kentucky is 2-8 with 0 SEC wins.

Please tell me you don't think they are comparable.

So Ole Miss gets no credit for causing 3 turnovers? I was unaware that the defense had nothing to do with those.

Ole Miss wins by 3 at home. MSU loses by 33 at home. Again, not even comparable. (Oh and Ole Miss did it with third string guys starting at three positions on D.)

Ole Miss doesn't get credit because LSU played sloppily, but MSU gets credit for Bama playing sloppily?

Granted, Ole Miss couldn't punch it into the endzone. Though they did play away.

A last second loss on a field goal is a draw with a 10 point loss that was a 24 point margin in the 4th?

Also, Ole Miss doesn't get credit for Mettenberger playing poorly, but MSU should get credit for Manziel playing poorly?

Again, you had to stretch really far for this.

Not so fast my friend. Most people on here feel that the Auburn win over MSU catapulted the rest of their season, including a close win over Ole Miss when Ole Miss played a poor game.

MSU was closer to winning, though.

Ole Miss gave up a few garbage time TDs. They also played Wallace only a few snaps in the second half. Either way, Troy is horrible and is like comparing two UFC fighters beating up a third grader.

Advantage: Draw

From the eye test and from objective measures, Ole Miss has the better team overall, better coaches, and is playing better.

obvious rebel is obvious

Madkinmecrazy
11-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Hail Damn State.

OSU v Texas - Yes, we played the better team from the Big 12. The argument about Texas' QB being out is moot though, he's been out for a majority of the season and McCoy's only other loss is to OSU. Advantage would go to MSU, but the bears won this one. I think that MSU could have beat Texas that week as well. Advantage - OM
UK v Vandy - Unquestionable that Vandy is the better team. Plus, we played them at home, bears played away. Advantage - OM
LSU - You can't try to back into it by saying that we played them just as well. We lost and the Rebs didn't. Advantage - OM
Bama - In truth, Bama never really let either team into the game, although both were a few plays away from making it close. At least we scored. Advantage -MSU
A&M - THe Rebels could have won this one, we never had a legitimate shot. They were at home so I'm inclined to call it a draw, but my conscious won't let me lie. Advantage - OM
Auburn - The only clear "winner" for the Dawgs, one play away from winning it. Advantage MSU
Troy - Once you win by 30, there really isn't any use comparing who beat them "worse." We had a great game against Troy, but OM also put up 700+ in offense. I'll call this a draw.

I don't think that OM is clearly better than us, but it's a stretch to say with any certainty that we are the better team. We will find out in 2 weeks.

PassInterference
11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
ThisIsAUsername - OM played Texas the same week Texas fired their DC. That new DC had no chance to form a gameplan. And Texas was without their QB.

If you can't see that the significance of that, I can't help you. Nor will I debate with you.

FlabLoser
11-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Inside corner, strike one to ThisIsAUserName.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I think both teams are very very close, but are built completely different and thus match-up differently against certain teams. MSU is a more physical team and OM is a faster team.

MSU would be the better team if MSU played the entire game, personnel wise, like a physical team.

Madkinmecrazy
11-18-2013, 03:03 PM
ThisIsAUsername - OM played Texas the same week Texas fired their DC. That new DC had no chance to form a gameplan. And Texas was without their QB.

If you can't see that the significance of that, I can't help you. Nor will I debate with you.

The DC argument is legitimate.

The QB argument isn't. Texas's starter has only played 3 games this year, including the blowout loss to BYU. Little McCoy has won all their games of late.

PassInterference
11-18-2013, 03:18 PM
The DC argument is legitimate.

The QB argument isn't. Texas's starter has only played 3 games this year, including the blowout loss to BYU. Little McCoy has won all their games of late.

Wasn't the OM game their backup QB's first game?

Madkinmecrazy
11-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Wasn't the OM game their backup QB's first game?

It was his first start of 2013 but he had significant playing time in 2011 and 2012, including several starts.

Barking 13
11-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Mizzou will smoke them, even at home... how does playing against Brunetti in the egg bowl sound? we just need to win... period

mek34
11-19-2013, 04:50 PM
good breakdown