PDA

View Full Version : Alright Bulldogs It is time. Pack the Hump, starting NOW

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 10:05 PM
We have been waiting for the Hump to be back to what it was in 2001-2006. Now is the time. We have the talent. Let me say this again, we have the TALENT.

WE NEED TO GET THE HUMP PACKED NOW. Not when Kentucky comes to town. Not after we get ranked. We need the energy now. We need our guys working through the big crowd jitters against these nobody teams. So when it comes down to Kentucky and Ole Miss, our guys are conditioned to the intensity of the HUMP. That is why we keep having let down games every time we pack the hump. The guys are too juiced.

IT is time we do our part and start making MBK a priority. And good news is, no punters or FG kickers at basketball games. Already one thing going for us.

Dak Holliday
11-10-2021, 10:40 PM
Agree. Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

parabrave
11-11-2021, 02:17 AM
Attendance was 6671 according to HailState. CBH did say he was happy with the loud crowd,

99jc
11-11-2021, 04:11 AM
We have been waiting for the Hump to be back to what it was in 2001-2006. Now is the time. We have the talent. Let me say this again, we have the TALENT.

WE NEED TO GET THE HUMP PACKED NOW. Not when Kentucky comes to town. Not after we get ranked. We need the energy now. We need our guys working through the big crowd jitters against these nobody teams. So when it comes down to Kentucky and Ole Miss, our guys are conditioned to the intensity of the HUMP. That is why we keep having let down games every time we pack the hump. The guys are too juiced.

IT is time we do our part and start making MBK a priority. And good news is, no punters or FG kickers at basketball games. Already one thing going for us.

Were you there tonight?

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-11-2021, 08:55 AM
Were you there tonight?

I was there and there were not 6700 people there.

OP is right with everything he said.

Pancho
11-11-2021, 09:12 AM

counting error?

Dak Holliday
11-11-2021, 09:30 AM
counting error?

May have been counting tickets purchased. You see similar discrepancies at baseball games (mlb/minors) where tickets are purchased either by season or businesses to give out.

Lord McBuckethead
11-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Were you there tonight?

Man, unfortunately no. I had a scheduling conflict and couldn't go. As evident, our fanbase (me included) has gotten into a habit in not prioritizing our MBK team. We are out of habit.
But as I said, I am going to make it a high priority to give this team an atmosphere.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-11-2021, 09:37 AM
May have been counting tickets purchased. You see similar discrepancies at baseball games (mlb/minors) where tickets are purchased either by season or businesses to give out.

I assume that this was the case. Student section was decently full, and there was a better crowd than usual for a season opener, but the arena was not over half full. My guess would be 4,000-4,500.

Lord McBuckethead
11-11-2021, 09:37 AM

There were maybe 2000 at best judging by what was shown on the TV.
We need 11k there and a line outside. I propose we start tailgating for basketball games.

Ari Gold
11-11-2021, 09:38 AM
We need 11k there and a line outside. I propose we start tailgating for basketball games.

It was half full

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-11-2021, 09:38 AM
The women?s team coming back down to earth and a nice start will get fans back by SEC play

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-11-2021, 10:01 AM
The women?s team coming back down to earth and a nice start will get fans back by SEC play

I agree but this should never have had any effect on our men's team attendance.

OLJWales
11-11-2021, 10:15 AM
From 2001 for 2006 or whatever during Rick's Rowdy days, are we not typically a 10 + 6 or 9 and 7 type of team with that one 14 and 2 season? Haven't we been a nice little chunk over 500 last two seasons? If we go on a nice SEC run, I think this is the year the humps going to start rocking again

msstate7
11-11-2021, 10:17 AM

Definitely not that many there. The crowd wasn't great by any means, but for a Wednesday night vs a nobody, I thought it was better than the last few years. Hopefully attendance is about to trend up

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-11-2021, 10:23 AM
From 2001 for 2006 or whatever during Rick's Rowdy days, are we not typically a 10 + 6 or 9 and 7 type of team with that one 14 and 2 season? Haven't we been a nice little chunk over 500 last two seasons? If we go on a nice SEC run, I think this is the year the humps going to start rocking again

I believe State has the third most wins in the SEC since 2017 but everyone acts like we suck.

Stansbury had 3 very good years 2002-2004. Other than that Stansbury was pretty mediocre here. We are back to Stans levels of play outside of those 3 years, but we are nowhere near the fan support.

Good home crowds in basketball affect the outcome of the game more than any other sport. Fans' presence can have a direct impact on the game. This team is going to be good. Our fans don't need to give up on this team if they happen to lose a game that we should have won. Crazy things can happen in March, we just have to make sure we are there.

OLJWales
11-11-2021, 10:29 AM
I believe State has the third most wins in the SEC since 2017 but everyone acts like we suck.

Stansbury had 3 very good years 2002-2004. Other than that Stansbury was pretty mediocre here. We are back to Stans levels of play outside of those 3 years, but we are nowhere near the fan support.

Good home crowds in basketball affect the outcome of the game more than any other sport. Fans' presence can have a direct impact on the game. This team is going to be good. Our fans don't need to give up on this team if they happen to lose a game that we should have won. Crazy things can happen in March, we just have to make sure we are there.

When Howlin move to Vegas and started signing those top players most fans including myself expected instant miracles. Didn't happen out of the gate which resulted in fan apathy. We do indeed have a fan base that will travel to basketball games because we have proven so in the past.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-11-2021, 10:46 AM

It was between 4-5k

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-11-2021, 10:52 AM
When Howlin move to Vegas and started signing those top players most fans including myself expected instant miracles. Didn't happen out of the gate which resulted in fan apathy. We do indeed have a fan base that will travel to basketball games because we have proven so in the past.

Most of our fanbase won't travel from their couch to the arena 30 miles away.

Fans at the game equates to more wins.

A program like MSU doesn't instantly get good with zero fan support.

maroonmania
11-11-2021, 11:57 AM
In reality, unless fans know we have a championship contending team, it will NEVER be like it was. Not when every game is either viewable on TV or online. It wasn't that way back in the Stansbury days. A lot of fans have to travel at least 2 hours one way just to get to a game and they aren't going to do that when they can watch at home for free. Just one of the negatives of being a rural campus without a dedicated basketball fanbase.

OLJWales
11-11-2021, 12:35 PM
In reality, unless fans know we have a championship contending team, it will NEVER be like it was. Not when every game is either viewable on TV or online. It wasn't that way back in the Stansbury days. A lot of fans have to travel at least 2 hours one way just to get to a game and they aren't going to do that when they can watch at home for free. Just one of the negatives of being a rural campus without a dedicated basketball fanbase.

Would be interested to know how much more TV access today vs Rowdy days.

Lord McBuckethead
11-11-2021, 12:38 PM

I disagree. We have the talent. They need the atmosphere. That is our responsibility. That is how we can help get the team to the next level. We all want to have a winning basketball program, that is how we get it. We have the talent to be the best in the SEC right now. It is on campus. No one in the SEC wants to play us, we are the upper echelon. They definitely do not want to play us if the fans show up.

Lord McBuckethead
11-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Would be interested to know how much more TV access today vs Rowdy days.

Rick, we had maybe 10 games a year on tv. Now we have every SEC game and every nonconference home game. Sure it is a difference, but this is a call for fans to sacrifice a little and come to the game if possible.

NCMSTFAN
11-11-2021, 12:40 PM
In comparison to recent early season games against weak teams I thought the crowd looked ok, especially the student section. Same with the women's game. Obviously they both could have been better but I've seen worse under Rick Ray and even some under Howland

StarkVegasSteve
11-11-2021, 12:47 PM
I agree but this should never have had any effect on our men's team attendance.

Well when the marketing team wouldn't even let you know the men were playing but put out multiple videos of Mcgowan losing her damn shoe it's not too hard to see why it did have an effect.

OLJWales
11-11-2021, 12:54 PM
I disagree. We have the talent. They need the atmosphere. That is our responsibility. That is how we can help get the team to the next level. We all want to have a winning basketball program, that is how we get it. We have the talent to be the best in the SEC right now. It is on campus. No one in the SEC wants to play us, we are the upper echelon. They definitely do not want to play us if the fans show up.

Like...(need to find that symbol)

SmokeyDawg
11-11-2021, 02:34 PM
We have a good product, this is going to be a fun team to watch. We're physical, play good D, and played together.
I tried to support the last few years but our style was so hard to watch and the hump atmosphere felt awkward. It wasn't a great crowd last night but there was good energy. I think we'll see an upward trend in attendance this year. Hopefully the new DJ figures out the system and doesn't blow my eardrums again though.

OLJWales
11-11-2021, 02:46 PM
We have a good product, this is going to be a fun team to watch. We're physical, play good D, and played together.
I tried to support the last few years but our style was so hard to watch and the hump atmosphere felt awkward. It wasn't a great crowd last night but there was good energy. I think we'll see an upward trend in attendance this year. Hopefully the new DJ figures out the system and doesn't blow my eardrums again though.

Eardrums?

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-11-2021, 03:04 PM
Well when the marketing team wouldn't even let you know the men were playing but put out multiple videos of Mcgowan losing her damn shoe it's not too hard to see why it did have an effect.

How Freaking Sad

SmokeyDawg
11-11-2021, 06:20 PM
Eardrums?
Should have clarified DJ the occupation not the person. Volume knob got away from him for a minute.

Rawdawg
11-11-2021, 08:14 PM
Around 4000 and I was expecting less. Students showed up better than I expected. I hope we have 7k-8k there Saturday night against a really good Montana team

maroonmania
11-11-2021, 09:55 PM

Disagree with what? Hardcore fans will be there anyway but the casual fan is not going to spend money on tickets, gas and food plus 3+ hours on the road to see a game that isn't involving a top notch MSU team when they can sit on their couch and watch for free with no time and money invested. Football is a different animal because lots of folks go for the whole weekend tailgating and enjoying the environment. When you go to a basketball game its only to watch the game. I would love to see huge crowds back in the Hump regularly as well and believe this team will likely deserve that, but I'm just being realistic. Like I said, back in the Stansbury days and before, for most games, if you wanted to see MSU play then you had to get yourself physically to the game. Its just not that way anymore. Now that still is no excuse for more students not going. I mean all they have to do go across campus to watch.

OLJWales
11-12-2021, 09:07 AM
would be interested to know what type of campaign STATE runs getting more students involved and getting their butts in The Hump. How many students jerk ass around while STATE plays? I couldn't imagine being a student and not going to see my classmates play.

Do they still have those shitty seating options for them? Does the rest of the SEC do better with student attendence?

If this team does what it is capable of and we don't start packing the SOB , that would be heart breaking and I would feel so damn sick for our players and coaches.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Disagree with what? Hardcore fans will be there anyway but the casual fan is not going to spend money on tickets, gas and food plus 3+ hours on the road to see a game that isn't involving a top notch MSU team when they can sit on their couch and watch for free with no time and money invested. Football is a different animal because lots of folks go for the whole weekend tailgating and enjoying the environment. When you go to a basketball game its only to watch the game. I would love to see huge crowds back in the Hump regularly as well and believe this team will likely deserve that, but I'm just being realistic. Like I said, back in the Stansbury days and before, for most games, if you wanted to see MSU play then you had to get yourself physically to the game. Its just not that way anymore. Now that still is no excuse for more students not going. I mean all they have to do go across campus to watch.

Well we packed out for Girls Basketball. "Girls Basketball". If I remember correctly, all those games were on TV as well. We have enough in Starkville, Columbus, Tupelo, Winona, and West Point to consistantly get to 90% full. Students..... get your ass there and get crazy.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-12-2021, 10:26 AM
Well we packed out for Girls Basketball. "Girls Basketball". If I remember correctly, all those games were on TV as well. We have enough in Starkville, Columbus, Tupelo, Winona, and West Point to consistantly get to 90% full. Students..... get your ass there and get crazy.

Exactly.

Fans not showing up is pure apathy.

The fans showed up for the girls because they were dominant- plain and simple. The men can't be that dominant because they play a different game that has parity and 100x more athleticism.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-12-2021, 10:37 AM

unfortunately I can't be there Saturday night. Anyone want to buy 2 tickets DM me.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Do you have good seats?

OLJWales
11-12-2021, 11:34 AM

Yep.

maroonmania
11-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Exactly.

Fans not showing up is pure apathy.

The fans showed up for the girls because they were dominant- plain and simple. The men can't be that dominant because they play a different game that has parity and 100x more athleticism.

Well, as I said, if we have a championship contending team like the girls had under Schaefer folks WILL start showing up but nobody really expects that right now. At best folks think we might sneak in the NCAA tourney with this team. A couple of other factors though with the WBB team though is that the tickets are dirt cheap and nearly the entire ticket buying base ARE locals. Plus with Schaefer, he had the entire team staying an hour after games interacting with fans to build in some loyalty which you don't see with the men. On the men's side you have businesses and bigger donor alumni paying the bucks to buy premium MBB season tickets to get BC points and I guess try to help the program with no real intention of ever going. We actually used to have a much more loyal, local fanbase with Stans until they did all the reseating and raised all the prices to get the good lower level seats. So we probably get a good bit more money out of MBB tickets than we did before but in the process we lost a good number of loyal, game attending fans.