PDA

View Full Version : Men?s Home Opener - North Alabama Game Thread

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:07 PM
3 minutes in. Good rotation on D so far. Dawgs up 8-3

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:08 PM
Garrison is a low block player. Looking good so far.

Smooth turn around jumper fade away after putting a. Move and forcing his man under the basket.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:13 PM
Good movement to the basket for Molinar. Easy lay up and followed with a 3 ball.

Mathew getting a long rebound and working to a easy layup.
17-5 dawgs.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:14 PM
We have started this game ,13:15 left in the 1st half, exactly how you need to look against a team like North Alabama.

MoreCowbell
11-10-2021, 08:16 PM
We look really physical and strong

MoreCowbell
11-10-2021, 08:16 PM
I like that Matthews and Cam Carter kid

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:21 PM
Why is Davis bringing the ball down? Why is he dribbling?

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:22 PM
We look really physical and strong

Agreed. If the 5 would stop bringing the ball down we would have 6 more right now.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:26 PM
Good Hi Low feed to Brooks. Scored over the top of a double team.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:28 PM
Got away with a foul on a 3 pt shooter, work down and hit our own 3. 30-11 dawgs. 69% from the field.

msstate7
11-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Carter playing early is sorta a surprise. He must be good

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:30 PM
I think scoring sits at
Brooks 6
Iverson 5
Carter 6
Fountain 4
Davis 2
DJ 4

Not taking official stats here. Just from memory.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:31 PM
10pts for Brooks.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:34 PM
Can we buy ESPN a better camera? WTF is going on. This is fuzzy on my cellphone, not to mention my 75? TV

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Got sloppy for about 2 minutes. Stopped working the ball inside. They cut the lead to 15 with 2 minutes left. Timeout on the floor.

Got to stay focused and keep the on ball pressure.

msstate7
11-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Davis is almost unplayable bc of his FT shooting

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:46 PM
6 minutes plus without a FG.

Doggie_Style
11-10-2021, 08:47 PM
Davis is almost unplayable bc of his FT shooting

It’s almost hard to believe how bad he is

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 08:49 PM
Halftime 26-37. Looked really bad through the last 6 minutes of the half.

What is it with MsU teams and their inability to not have large chunks of the game where we get absolutely no offense? Football does this in all of its losses, and now basketball is picking up where it left off last seasons.

So far in this game, we had 30% of the half with zero FGs made.

msstate7
11-10-2021, 09:13 PM
I like carter

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:16 PM
11 pt lead with 13 left.

BeardoMSU
11-10-2021, 09:17 PM
Similar "scoring" philosophy so far.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:17 PM
We are about to go on a run here.

msstate7
11-10-2021, 09:18 PM
Davis with great plays on each side of court

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:19 PM
Cam Carter with 2 FT. Fountain with an easy bucket following.

BayouDawg
11-10-2021, 09:27 PM
I like the pieces on this team especially with Tolu and rocket coming in soon.

The amount of offensive rebounds we are giving up is concerning though.

msstate7
11-10-2021, 09:31 PM
Moore hasn't been very impressive. For some reason, I thought he was an explosive driver

Doggie_Style
11-10-2021, 09:32 PM
I like the pieces on this team especially with Tolu and rocket coming in soon.

The amount of offensive rebounds we are giving up is concerning though.

Considering the. level of competition, this is a less than auspicious start for State

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:35 PM
Scoring drought two tonight.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:37 PM
Man, I am glad we had a 27 pt lead really early, cause we have been outscored by 15 pts since.

BeardoMSU
11-10-2021, 09:39 PM
Man, I am glad we had a 27 pt lead really early, cause we have been outscored by 15 pts since.

Sloppy as hell.

BayouDawg
11-10-2021, 09:39 PM
Considering the. level of competition, this is a less than auspicious start for State

Hopefully getting Tolu back will help things.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:41 PM
Alright, it is game 1, but I already see the same exact problems manifesting itself from the last 4 years. Absolute refusal to run an actual offensive set. Passing the ball around the top of the arch and waiting for the shot clock running down, poor shot choice on top of that.

This is not a clock killing move, we have been doing it for the past 20 minutes of game.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:43 PM
Finally we get the ball inside. There is no reason why we do not run an offense similar to Lawrence Robert?s sets for Brookes and Tulu when he gets back. Until then, Brooks needs a touch in the lane ever single possession.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:45 PM
There is the run. Up by 20.

msstate7
11-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Spread 21
Lead 20

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:47 PM
So we get the ball inside, and we immediately go on a big run. Hmmmm. Maybe we should keep the focus on HI Low game and when we cannot get the rotation in, drive the basket and look for the cut or kick.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:48 PM
Seems like Howland may have some money on the game.

msstate7
11-10-2021, 09:49 PM
We've got a lot of new pieces playing together. Not concerned

msstate7
11-10-2021, 09:50 PM
Mathews had a nice game. I met his mother here tonight also

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:51 PM
It will interesting to see the full stats on the game. Mathews had 15 rebounds.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:54 PM
So we decided to take off over 11:30 in this game without making a FG and we are still leading by 25. Isaac Stansbury is in the game.

MoreCowbell
11-10-2021, 09:56 PM
Good opener, did what we needed to do. We have a chance to be pretty good

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 09:59 PM
Ballgame.
Lots of good in that game. Good 1st game. It showed us a few things we need to work on. Got a solid win, which is something to build off of.

First thoughts:
Brooks moves really well.
DJ Jeffries is big, needs to be more deliberate with his play.
Carter is a baller.
Mathews still has a great motor.
Iverson is still iverson. Gets to the rim anytime he wants.

Lord McBuckethead
11-10-2021, 10:00 PM
Good opener, did what we needed to do. We have a chance to be pretty good

I agree. We need a crowd at these games. I want the team to feel the energy now, not just when Kentucky comes to town.

Percho
11-10-2021, 11:15 PM
I liked Post and saw where he had 14 points in BC's only game, second highest also 6 RB

whosyourdawgy
11-10-2021, 11:46 PM
that involves putting the ball in the basket

OLJWales
11-11-2021, 01:20 AM
Why is Davis bringing the ball down? Why is he dribbling?

Big feces alert?

parabrave
11-11-2021, 02:10 AM
So Coach mentioned something about Moliner position when Tolu gets back and I missed most of it. Did anyone else catch the postgame chat between him and Richard?

Ari Gold
11-11-2021, 09:26 AM
Controlled the game form start to finish . As we should have
First game of the season, 2 starters out, and lots of new faces
Brooks was even more impressive than I thought he would be on defense. He is as good as Ado defensively with offense
DJ will continue to get better. Kid hasn?t been coached probably ever .. Penny didn?t coach shit he just had a bunch of talent
Cam carter was very impressive for a true freshman he will get someone minutes this year which is a good thing
Matthews is going to be hard to keep off the court , thats also a very good thing.. 7/14/4/2/2 very impressive stats
I said it last year Iverson was the best college player we had on the court then and that?s still true this year
Played lots of guys , lots of minutes, very deep bench and that will be a huge factor in league play
Outside of Davis we were sold from the foul line

Team will only get better as the year goes on... Defense travels and we will defend
Outside shooting still a big concern .. hopefully Rocket can help there .. and I think Garcia ( suspended last night ) can stroke it.. just not sure where his minutes come from

thf24
11-11-2021, 09:55 AM
DJ Jeffries is big, needs to be more deliberate with his play.

This is something I'm just a little worried about after last night. He left Memphis because he didn't want to play the 4 and came here in part because we told him he'd be a 3. I think he can absolutely be effective from that spot, just likely not as the iso/point style 3 he's probably got in his head and looked to be trying to do last night. Hoping Ari is right and he just needs some decent coaching to find his niche.

R2Dawg
11-11-2021, 06:42 PM
My takes on last night.

Team: We are talented everywhere, still got to work out chemistry with certain lineups as expected but we moved the ball well at times and looked more polished than expected. The dry spell is an issue to work on. We couldn't hit anything and UNA hit all they threw up. Talent differential was large as it should have been.

Individual
Molinar is the straw that stirs the drink, one of top players in SEC for a reason.
Brooks is just what this team needed. Get Tulu back and we will be a force down low and as good as any in SEC.
Matthews is a warrior, a righthanded Brandon Vincent type player. What don't show up in the stat sheet shows up on the floor.
Fountain is a versatile player. Didn't see as much scoring last night but another great multitool player to have on team.

Moore was better than I thought he would be. Reminds me of Derek Fisher who played for UALR and Lakers. Decent outside shooter, good ball skills and has some hops. Another very good offseason get.
Carter looked good for a freshman.
Davis just is really rough around the edges. He can give some good minutes off bench but should only get low minutes with other talent we have.

DJ was out of synch last night. Hope he can figure it out. He looked good at Memphis and had his way on us in NIT game. It could end up like Malik Newman too. He has the tools.

I'm probably missing someone but overall a good first outing. Expecting big things this year. I saw nothing last night that took any of that away.

OLJWales
11-12-2021, 08:36 AM
My takes on last night.

Team: We are talented everywhere, still got to work out chemistry with certain lineups as expected but we moved the ball well at times and looked more polished than expected. The dry spell is an issue to work on. We couldn't hit anything and UNA hit all they threw up. Talent differential was large as it should have been.

Individual
Molinar is the straw that stirs the drink, one of top players in SEC for a reason.
Brooks is just what this team needed. Get Tulu back and we will be a force down low and as good as any in SEC.
Matthews is a warrior, a righthanded Brandon Vincent type player. What don't show up in the stat sheet shows up on the floor.
Fountain is a versatile player. Didn't see as much scoring last night but another great multitool player to have on team.

Moore was better than I thought he would be. Reminds me of Derek Fisher who played for UALR and Lakers. Decent outside shooter, good ball skills and has some hops. Another very good offseason get.
Davis just is really rough around the edges. He can give some good minutes off bench but should only get low minutes with other talent we have.

DJ was out of synch last night. Hope he can figure it out. He looked good at Memphis and had his way on us in NIT game. It could end up like Malik Newman too. He has the tools.

I'm probably missing someone but overall a good first outing. Expecting big things this year. I saw nothing last night that took any of that away.

Excellent and thank you R2.

BayouDawg
11-12-2021, 11:33 AM
My takes on last night.

Individual

Good analysis. And agreed

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2021, 02:10 PM
It's just game 1, but DJ appeared to be attacking the basket like a hitter that was deciding to swing before the pitch was thrown. He looked out of place. I will follow him Saturday the entire game and see if I can nail down what is happening.