PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day

coachnorm
11-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Armistice/ Veterans Day shared story by a US Navy Sailor stationed in the UK from December 1970 thru April 1974. I have posted about my time in the UK at Holy Loch, Scotland in the past. While in country, I learned about Armistice Day. Strangely, my parents and grandparents knew what Armistice Day was. In 1954 the US changed the holiday to Veterans Day. The name change also changed the perception of the Armistice.

Veterans Day is an official holiday in the US without a formal observation, generally shopping and relaxation. There will be informal observations and parades on Veterans Day but with no national structured participation in America. In the British Commonwealth, Armistice Day is not a holiday, but all commonwealth countries and affiliates have a cultural participation of formal observation of supreme sacrifices.

During my duty overseas I had the holiday off in the UK because I was American serviceman but resident Scots did not have the work day off. As a teenager, a Scottish Lassie, who hung out with us sailors, asked me if I wanted to do the Two Minutes and I was totally confused by the question. We walked to the underground "subway" and went to George Square in Glasgow. She told me to be quiet at 11:00. I had no idea that my standing in silence at 11 AM meant that I was participating in something meaningful.

If any fellow elite doggers watch additional YouTube content, in this regards, remember this time period is actually two days of observation. Armistice Day is always November 11th, but there also is Remembrance Sunday which is the Sunday closest to November 11th on the calendar. On Remembrance Sunday the active military and former military march together and present themselves to their local areas. This act is similar to an American Parade on Veterans Day. On Armistice Day the people just do it themselves. Remember on either Armistice Day or Remembrance Sunday, no one gets a day off work within the Commonwealth; they do an act of participation.

FYI, if Armistice Day falls on a Monday thru Friday, there is a high probability that most children at school, within the Commonwealth, will stand in silence, in classroom or assembly hall, at 11 AM in their global time zones.

I have posted YouTube links of this observation in the past and just felt like sharing something personal with fellow elite doggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFuF_pxEXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1E2WsXZSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3GI8G-zxT8

coachnorm
11-09-2021, 11:10 AM
I would like to share my first command with elite doggers. The command designation was Site One Submarine Squadron 14. This forward operating base command was berthed in the Holy Loch about 40 miles west of Glasgow, Scotland.

This facility existed from 1961 to 1992 and many sailors, marines, and navy civilians have fond memories and deep feelings of Scotland because of being stationed there. Many like me went there at a very young age and socially matured in a foreign country outside of America.

My friend Pete met a 17 year old Glasgow Lass, Margret, and they had a great life together until her death from pneumonia at age 65. They had two children born in the States. Margret’s ashes were sent back home to Scotland. Pete has made plans to have his ashes sent back to Scotland to be with his wife even though he and his kids are American.

Thanks to the US Navy, I had a great time maturing into an adult. I got married at age 20 and a parent later that year. I had a new adopted friends and family that were welcoming. I was socially structured out of country thus getting orders to Norfolk caused insecurities not known back in Scotland. Coming back stateside was strange, in some ways because, I rarely heard American women outside of the movies, back to spending dollars instead of pounds, and driving on the other side of the road etc.

I just told you a few stories to give you a flavor of the many who served at Holy Loch. We all left Holy Lock but Holy Loch, Scotland didn’t leave many hearts and minds who served. For many, Holy Loch, Scotland stayed in their minds and hearts when they died and it still lives on in us gray beards as we live.

This command is a reminder of youth and fond memories. The grainy YouTube video attached is a very emotional reminder that our command really does not exist anymore but we still hang on to memories of our youth thanks to the Unites States Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scZBcDlfwc0

Catfish
11-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Thank you for your service. My dad served in WW II and my son served in Iraqi Freedom.

Dak Holliday
11-09-2021, 12:01 PM
I would like to share my first command with elite doggers. The command designation was Site One Submarine Squadron 14. This forward operating base command was berthed in the Holy Loch about 40 miles west of Glasgow, Scotland.

This facility existed from 1961 to 1992 and many sailors, marines, and navy civilians have fond memories and deep feelings of Scotland because of being stationed there. Many like me went there at a very young age and socially matured in a foreign country outside of America.

My friend Pete met a 17 year old Glasgow Lass, Margret, and they had a great life together until her death from pneumonia at age 65. They had two children born in the States. Margret?s ashes were sent back home to Scotland. Pete has made plans to have his ashes sent back to Scotland to be with his wife even though he and his kids are American.

Thanks to the US Navy, I had a great time maturing into an adult. I got married at age 20 and a parent later that year. I had a new adopted friends and family that were welcoming. I was socially structured out of country thus getting orders to Norfolk caused insecurities not known back in Scotland. Coming back stateside was strange, in some ways because, I rarely heard American women outside of the movies, back to spending dollars instead of pounds, and driving on the other side of the road etc.

I just told you a few stories to give you a flavor of the many who served at Holy Loch. We all left Holy Lock but Holy Loch, Scotland didn?t leave many hearts and minds who served. For many, Holy Loch, Scotland stayed in their minds and hearts when they died and it still lives on in us gray beards as we live.

This command is a reminder of youth and fond memories. The grainy YouTube video attached is a very emotional reminder that our command really does not exist anymore but we still hang on to memories of our youth thanks to the Unites States Navy.

Love button push x 10👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
I can not like this enough and thank you for your service. Thank you in your continuing fight to keep history alive. Godspeed to you, sir.

DAWG1903
11-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Thank you for sharing some of your life with us. My family and I are very grateful to you and your family for your service.

Maverick91
11-09-2021, 12:09 PM
This is awesome stuff! My granddad fought in Africa, Italy, and Landed on Omaha Beach in WWII. My other Granddad spent time in the reserves during Korea. Thank you all for your service, glad you have the memories to reflect on.

Mjoelner34
11-09-2021, 08:00 PM

Norm, that's not you standing with the gold helmet at 3:22 is it? Looks just like you!

coachnorm
11-09-2021, 08:25 PM
Norm, that's not you standing with the gold helmet at 3:22 is it? Looks just like you!

No that's not me, but I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing for my shipmate?

PCHSDawg
11-10-2021, 04:21 PM
So you were a boomer sailor? I served on fast attacks out of Pearl Harbor from 95-99 ( 91-95 in the nuke pipeline and as an instructor.) Got out as a MM2(SS/nuc/ELT)

viverlibre
11-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Armistice/ Veterans Day shared story by a US Navy Sailor stationed in the UK from December 1970 thru April 1974. I have posted about my time in the UK at Holy Loch, Scotland in the past. While in country, I learned about Armistice Day. Strangely, my parents and grandparents knew what Armistice Day was. In 1954 the US changed the holiday to Veterans Day. The name change also changed the perception of the Armistice.

Veterans Day is an official holiday in the US without a formal observation, generally shopping and relaxation. There will be informal observations and parades on Veterans Day but with no national structured participation in America. In the British Commonwealth, Armistice Day is not a holiday, but all commonwealth countries and affiliates have a cultural participation of formal observation of supreme sacrifices.

During my duty overseas I had the holiday off in the UK because I was American serviceman but resident Scots did not have the work day off. As a teenager, a Scottish Lassie, who hung out with us sailors, asked me if I wanted to do the Two Minutes and I was totally confused by the question. We walked to the underground "subway" and went to George Square in Glasgow. She told me to be quiet at 11:00. I had no idea that my standing in silence at 11 AM meant that I was participating in something meaningful.

If any fellow elite doggers watch additional YouTube content, in this regards, remember this time period is actually two days of observation. Armistice Day is always November 11th, but there also is Remembrance Sunday which is the Sunday closest to November 11th on the calendar. On Remembrance Sunday the active military and former military march together and present themselves to their local areas. This act is similar to an American Parade on Veterans Day. On Armistice Day the people just do it themselves. Remember on either Armistice Day or Remembrance Sunday, no one gets a day off work within the Commonwealth; they do an act of participation.

FYI, if Armistice Day falls on a Monday thru Friday, there is a high probability that most children at school, within the Commonwealth, will stand in silence, in classroom or assembly hall, at 11 AM in their global time zones.

I have posted YouTube links of this observation in the past and just felt like sharing something personal with fellow elite doggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFuF_pxEXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1E2WsXZSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3GI8G-zxT8

I think it cool how sailors have a matching purse for every outfit! Just a little good natured ribbing!

I did 30+ years AF, enjoyed all of it, had a great time, would do it again. Certainly got more than I gave. At 55, can still make it easily though basic.

coachnorm
11-10-2021, 07:28 PM
I think it cool how sailors have a matching purse for every outfit! Just a little good natured ribbing!

I did 30+ years AF, enjoyed all of it, had a great time, would do it again. Certainly got more than I gave. At 55, can still make it easily though basic.

If you did any service at Mildenhall or Lakenheath, maybe you could share with us Elitedoggers. If not there share some Air Force with us anyway?

viverlibre
11-10-2021, 08:36 PM
If you did any service at Mildenhall or Lakenheath, maybe you could share with us Elitedoggers. If not there share some Air Force with us anyway?

The nearest I've been to England is flying through Shannon, Ireland on deployments. My DNA is majority Scottish so I do plan to spend time there after I retire from my current job (hopefully two years). My proudest moment is likely assisting on the Coast after Katrina.

I came in 86 and my career field conducted quarterly bivouacs (very un-AFesque), the SNCOs and Officers were mostly Vietnam Vets, I can remember listening to their stories to this day. I've always had an admiration of Vietnam Vets, they served their country, but unlike me, didn't get a hero's welcome home.

coachnorm
11-11-2021, 10:19 AM
The nearest I've been to England is flying through Shannon, Ireland on deployments. My DNA is majority Scottish so I do plan to spend time there after I retire from my current job (hopefully two years). My proudest moment is likely assisting on the Coast after Katrina.

I came in 86 and my career field conducted quarterly bivouacs (very un-AFesque), the SNCOs and Officers were mostly Vietnam Vets, I can remember listening to their stories to this day. I've always had an admiration of Vietnam Vets, they served their country, but unlike me, didn't get a hero's welcome home.

You inspired me to share something else with fellow elietedoggers. During that time period, Viet-nam era, there were difficulties due to the politics. The Scots and Brits were very opinionated on Viet-nam and critical of the US Government, but they understood that a serviceman is not a policy maker and were welcoming. The students at Glasgow University were friendly towards us regardless of the politics.

Stateside, it was a different story. The political wounds were just too painful for everyone at times. Unlike in the UK, I could feel the personal disdain of being on active duty. But that was not the real pain.

The real pain for many in the military is saying good bye to friends made. Military friendships just run deeper than civilian friendships. Back then there was no internet or email especially on the other side of the globe. For many of us at Holy Loch, a friend finishing his tour and going home was a death sentence to the cherished relationship in most cases; the world was just bigger then.

The general rule was you fly Trans-Atlantic to Holy Loch then fly back stateside. We go home alone, not with our crew-mates. I will tell my story about Pete who was presented earlier in this thread.

I was stationed on the USS Canopus AS-34 in R2 Division. I worked in the machine shop and also on the ten FBM submarines attached to the command. R2 Division sailors had an apartment, in Glasgow, at 13 Bowmont Gardens on the West End. Elitedoggers can Google this address for a pictorial view. We rented the 3rd floor. When a shipmate finished his tour of duty, he would be replaced with another R2 Division unmarried sailor with consent from those renting the apartment. About a month after I arrived at the command, I became a replacement with consent of shipmates.

Socially, it was just plug and play because I just tagged along and was introduced to the nightclubs and girlfriends of my room mates. The girl friends would bring their girlfriends to 13 Bowmont Gardens. My shipmate, Pete’s girlfriend, Margret, liked me and was concerned that I not be lonely so she was a matchmaker. At times it was a social paradise in Glasgow.

Life was good until the dreaded day arrived. Pete decided not to reenlist after six years and was seeking assistance from the command to get Margret a fiance' visa. Pete was like a patriarch to me and some shipmates. As Pete’s separation day closed in, there was a lot of emotional tension within the R2 Division. Pete got his first send off on board the Canopus and it was brutal. Then all hell broke loose when our social groups, in Glasgow, met at the Pub for the final send off.

We were all couples which included my then fiance' Therese, my future best man Kelsey and his fiance', my future sister in law and boyfriend, and others. Kelsey and I had very little emotional capital left after the shipboard send off.

Very shortly after we sat down for the sendoff, the girls imploded and started crying and an emotion cauldron consumed all of us. It was so intense that others at the pub noticed. I was so emotionality destroyed that I could not comfort my girlfriend; I was in emotional survival mode. My family was over five thousand miles away and unreachable and I was suffering. I was not mature enough to deal with this event.

Somehow, we gave Pete and Margret the final send off and my fiance' and I went back to 13 Bowmont Gardens. We went to sleep with empty souls.

From what I have learned, Viet-nam combat veterans went thru more intense send offs than this.