PDA

View Full Version : Will Rogers

basedog
11-07-2021, 08:58 AM
In the second half was really good. Actually he has improved so much and is getting so much better every week. Biggest thing I saw against Arkansas was his ability to move out of the pocket and not get sacked as much as in the past. This comes from experience as well as him seeing the field better and finding his second or third receiver.
Fact is he is going to break many passing records that will be held for a long long time in this offense. He is still a young man maturing and showing much better arm strength. I have seen many (and even a good friend) saying he will face competition or we need a better QB, I say it ain't gonna happen. Dude may have 3 years from a Covid year, his future is bright and he is starting to show more leadership. Seems to me he and the Pirate have a good relationship and understanding about his ability.

Btw yes the offense has improved, I'm on board as I had doubts, but we gotta recruit and get some speed on both side of the ball. Special teams have been talked about and all I can say is it needs work.

msstate7
11-07-2021, 08:59 AM
Bucky's son has come a long way. He's starting to look like a nice college qb. Good job, will and leach

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:06 AM
He will likely start for 4.5 yrs. There is no doubt that he will own every passing record at MSU. You could literally replace him with any other QB, and while you might not get the exact total, you?d still have the same records. We throw the ball 75% of the time. That said, he is a system QB and this is his best situation possible. He?s playing admirably and is not the reason we are losing games. He?s transitioned to putting us in position to win. It?s just not happening.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:10 AM
He will likely start for 4.5 yrs. There is no doubt that he will own every passing record at MSU. You could literally replace him with any other QB, and while you might not get the exact total, you?d still have the same records. We throw the ball 75% of the time. That said, he is a system QB and this is his best situation possible. He?s playing admirably and is not the reason we are losing games. He?s transitioned to putting us in position to win. It?s just not happening.

I will say, if you take qbs from all of the other SEC schools. 3 may have the same numbers as Will. It is not as plug and play as you make it sound. You still have to have to make throws.

msstate7
11-07-2021, 09:13 AM
I will say, if you take qbs from all of the other SEC schools. 3 may have the same numbers as Will. It is not as plug and play as you make it sound. You still have to have to make throws.

What 3?

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:16 AM
80% of his throws have been 15 yards or less. Don?t get so infatuated with our guy to become completely unable to use reason. Greek may have similar numbers had he been here and started instead of Will. I would argue that almost any P5 QB would have the same type numbers and there are a few that might have more. Leach?s scheme is the star. He doesn?t need a ton of actual talent to run it, or so he says.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:17 AM
What 3?

Bryce Young
JT Daniels
And maybe Matt Corral. I think Matt would struggle because it is not open receivers streaking down the field.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Bryce Young
JT Daniels
And maybe Matt Corral. I think Matt would struggle because it is not open receiver streaking down field.

Bucky?s burner account👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
😂😂😂

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:18 AM
80% of his throws have been 15 yards or less. Don?t get so infatuated with our guy to become completely unable to use reason. Greek may have similar numbers had he been here and started instead of Will. I would argue that almost any P5 QB would have the same type numbers and there are a few that might have more. Leach?s scheme is the star. He doesn?t need a ton of actual talent to run it, or so he says.

Then why even recruit a qb? Just save the scholarship and play a walk on by your logic.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:22 AM
You?re being stupid. There is a talent threshold. Will is not a great athlete. He?s a well coached- his dad raised him to run AirRaid- kid gifted with usable physical attributes. Why do you think only MSU and WSU were his only P5 offers? He is serviceable in the right system. He?s just as fortunate that we have Leach as Leach is to have him. He?s not wowing anyone with his arm talent.

msstate7
11-07-2021, 09:23 AM
Bryce Young
JT Daniels
And maybe Matt Corral. I think Matt would struggle because it is not open receiver streaking down field.

If you include Daniels (and I would), then you have to include Bennett. Bennett leads the sec in passer rating, and he starts over Daniels.

Since this isn't a dual threat offense, I agree hooker snd kj wouldn't work as a pocket passer. I do think both are better college qbs at this point though.

I think bazelak is every bit as good as will and more talented.

Corral is a far superior qb, and pretty ridiculous to not include him. He's gonna be starting in the nfl soon

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:26 AM
You?re being stupid. There is a talent threshold. Will is not a great athlete. He?s a well coached- his dad raised him to run AirRaid- kid gifted with usable physical attributes. Why do you think only MSU and WSU were his only P5 offers? He is serviceable in the right system. He?s just as fortunate that we have Leach as Leach is to have him. He?s not wowing anyone with his arm talent.

Not sure what you have against giving Will credit, but it is pretty apparent you won't budge.

The dude just broke the passing efficiency record for 30+ attempts in the SEC. Not sure what more to say to you.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:27 AM
If you include Daniels (and I would), then you have to include Bennett. Bennett leads the sec in passer rating, and he starts over Daniels.

Since this isn't a dual threat offense, I agree hooker snd kj wouldn't work as a pocket passer. I do think both are better college qbs at this point though.

Corral is a far superior qb, and pretty ridiculous to not include him. He's gonna be starting in the nfl soon

I'm saying, if you take them and put them in this exact skeem/team. Bennett has an OUTSTANDING run game to set up the pass.

Our offense is a pass first offense. You have to be patient and make throws consistently. Not many qbs out there can do it.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:32 AM
Not sure what you have against giving Will credit, but it is pretty apparent you won't budge.

The dude just broke the passing efficiency record for 30+ attempts in the SEC. Not sure what more to say to you.

I gave him credit. Read my first post. Just because I don?t drool over him like you do doesn?t mean that I don?t appreciate him. I attempt to be a bit more logical when evaluating situations and players. He is playing good ball, and will own every passing record at MSU, Bucky, but that?s not because he?s a world talent. It?s because he will finish his career with the most starts in this system.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:33 AM
I'm saying, if you take them and put them in this exact skeem/team. Bennett has an OUTSTANDING run game to set up the pass.

Our offense is a pass first offense. You have to be patient and make throws consistently. Not many qbs out there can do it.

Definitely Bucky?s burner account.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:39 AM
I gave him credit. Read my first post. Just because I don?t drool over him like you do doesn?t mean that I don?t appreciate him. I attempt to be a bit more logical when evaluating situations and players. He is playing good ball, and will own every passing record at MSU, Bucky, but that?s not because he?s a world talent. It?s because he will finish his career with the most starts in this system.

My post to you simply said if you take ALL of the SEC qbs and put them in this system. 3 may have similar numbers.

How is that drooling? You basically tee off on him after I say that.

Quaoarsking
11-07-2021, 09:40 AM

If he starts every game through the 2024 season, he'll own every NCAA passing record. Mark it down.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:43 AM
If he starts every game through the 2024 season, he'll own every NCAA passing record. Mark it down.

Product of the system. According to Holiday. A nutless monkey could break that record.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 09:45 AM
Definitely Bucky?s burner account.

The moment you realize you have lost the debate, start straying off topic.

Good day sir.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 09:47 AM

So were Joe Montana's his 1st two SB years. Just saying. Will's ypa last night was 8.68.

He played well last night IMO. Odom had 2 weeks to game plan for us. Will threw an early pick but really didn't beat us early on and he a and WRs adjusted and made some plays as game went on.

ETA: In fact both really good Coordinators 2 weeks and they used it too according to Pittman. They're as good a coordinator combo as there is in the league most likely.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:50 AM

Agree

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:52 AM
The moment you realize you have lost the debate, start straying off topic.

Good day sir.

Obviously Bucky.

Bested.
😂😂😂😂

msstate7
11-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Passer rating included? That's the stat that makes all qbs equal as a passer, regardless of difference in passing attempts. It's the gold standard imo

basedog
11-07-2021, 09:56 AM
Some of you guys never played QB, need to stop talking about not knowing about a position you have no idea what it's like.
Yes Will is not real athletic but he is smart and very accurate. And no not anyone could fit into Leach's system.

If u disagree go outside and just throw a football in a tire from say 15 yards. LOL

QB is hardest position on the field.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 09:58 AM
So were Joe Montana's his 1st two SB years. Just saying. Will's ypa last night was 8.68.

He played well last night IMO. Odom had 2 weeks to game plan for us. Will threw an early pick but really didn't beat us early on and he a and WRs adjusted and made some plays as tame went on.

ETA: In fact both really good Coordinators 2 weeks and they used it too according to Pittman.

Look, Bucky, I agree that Will is not losing us games. Read it again slowly- WILL IS NOT THE REASON WE LOST THE GAME. He?s a very good system QB in the right system. That?s typically a recipe for success. That being said, outside of his grit and toughness, there is very little special about him that couldn?t be replaced by almost any other D1 college QB with similar grit. He?s doing what he?s being asked to do and that?s good enough to put us in position to win.

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2021, 09:59 AM
Passer rating included? That's the stat that makes all qbs equal as a passer, regardless of difference in passing attempts. It's the gold standard imo

We know, you bring it up anytime someone mentions a stat about Will.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 10:01 AM
Some of you guys never played QB, need to stop talking about not knowing about a position you have no idea what it's like.
Yes Will is not real athletic but he is smart and very accurate. And no not anyone could fit into Leach's system.

If u disagree go outside and just throw a football in a tire from say 15 yards. LOL

Well, if high level playing experience is a pre req for being able to talk football, this place should shut down today. Where?d you play QB in college? Pros?

msstate7
11-07-2021, 10:09 AM

Here's the passer rating leader nationally since 2012
2021: McCall
2020: mac Jones
2019: burrow
2018: tua
2017: mayfield
2016: mayfield
2015: Vernon Adams
2014: mariota
2013: Winston
2012: Winston

I'd say there's a strong correlation between great passer rating and great ability

Dawgology
11-07-2021, 10:10 AM
Will is going to be a legend but he?s still developing. It seems to take him about a quarter to warm up. The problem is that quarter usually puts us 7-10 points in the hole and we are playing from behind. He needs to come out of the gate playing like he does in quarters 2.5 - 4. That will come with seasoning and experience I?m sure.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Will will be our Graham Harrell and there?s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 10:16 AM

I'd say there's a strong correlation between great passer rating and great ability

Be careful using too much logic on people high on emotion.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 10:19 AM
Look, Bucky, I agree that Will is not losing us games. Read it again slowly- WILL IS NOT THE REASON WE LOST THE GAME. He?s a very good system QB in the right system. That?s typically a recipe for success. That being said, outside of his grit and toughness, there is very little special about him that couldn?t be replaced by almost any other D1 college QB with similar grit. He?s doing what he?s being asked to do and that?s good enough to put us in position to win.

Right now he's playing better than any QB in the conference. He has to keep it up. But if you think any other D1 QB can replace him ... you don't know a thing about QB play. Some could. But Arky's couldn't. Neither can KY's, FL's, etc. What is really impressive to me more than anything ... is how much better his movement when pressured has become, how well he's slipping and sliding in the pocket under pressure, how well he's finding his 4th option when on the move, and how damn accurate he's been the last 2 games on the move. He's really seeing the field well now. He's made some really difficult throws lately while on the move and hit his WR right where he needed to.

And I'm not saying he's Montana either ... it took me about Brady's 7th SB for me to put him in Montana's category.

At the beginning of year I wasn't sure he'd be our long term solution at QB and had a quite a few doubts myself. But I also took into account that he's a true soph, which most don't on this board. They want our true sophs to step on the field and play like Bama RS sophs or Jrs. Or Oline was not playing that well to start season either.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Obviously Bucky.

Bested.
😂😂😂😂

Dude what is your problem? If you think I care so much about this board and your opinion of will to make not 1 but 2 accounts on here you care about this a lot more than I do.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 10:21 AM
Be careful using too much logic on people high on emotion.

Great, so based off of this logic and this logic alone.

Will Rogers has been the 2nd best qb in the conference the past two weeks.

Edit: I stand corrected. Wk 9 he was top. Emory Jones was up there for some reason.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 10:23 AM
Will does not need me to defend him, all he has done is prove some on here wrong every step of the way.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Will does not need me to defend him, all he has done is prove some on here wrong every step of the way.

Just so's you know ... I wouldn't trade Will for any QB in conference right now. Hell probably in the country but then I haven't watched all the QBs in the country either.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 10:28 AM
I like you intentionally swapping accounts back to back on my account, Bucky, in an attempt to put Batman and Bruce Wayne in the same room at the same time. 😂
Will?s numbers in this system have him ranked at number 2. That?s awesome, but he?s not even in a top QB conversation. Maybe he will be next year, but you don?t have to push him so hard on us like he?s your kid. I know you can?t stand criticism, but you?re so far gone that you can?t even stand a complementary statement that doesn?t claim that he?s better than Dak.

msstate7
Just so's you know ... I wouldn't trade Will for any QB in conference right now.

Wow.

Yeah, I'd take young, either of Georgia's, or corral without a second thought.

ETA... and then you doubled down and said country. You've gone off the deep end

dawgday166

The one's you talking about ... would just wilt under the pressure of trying to throw it thru the tire. But they experts on this board.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Oh, and Buck, just use your regular account. You?re better than a burner account to talk on here. Save that for Twitter.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Wow.

Yeah, I'd take young, either of Georgia's, or corral without a second thought.

I wouldn't take Corral, GA's are getting better but they weren't that good early on. GA was struggling early in season to score some points and that's with GA talent, not our talent.

ETA: I have watched Young too and not impressed. Not keeping up with CFB like I usually do and names ain't sticking with me. For some reason I was thinking he was an OSU QB. Young ... he's a true soph with Bama talent. He ain't playing lights out with their talent IMO. His excuse could be "Well, Bama receivers aren't fully developed yet" or something like that. Really??? Will's playing with our Oline and WRs, not Bama's. Bama QBs are really good when they have 3 top-notch NFL WRs and 3 or so NFL Olinemen too.

The throws Will has made on the move lately especially going to his left ... not many can make those throws much less as accurately as he's making them.

ETA: Arky is a very good team and had 2 weeks to get ready for us. Our D needs some more talent and depth in at DL and S. We gave up way too many rushing yds last night. And then ... we need a damn kicker too.

MBDawg601
11-07-2021, 10:34 AM
"Qbr is all that matters. It defines a qb entirely."

Will top qbr in wk 9 and then 2nd in wk 10.

"Its the system, Katie Perry could have the same qbr."

You guys must have miserable lives with everyday being an underwhelming x on the calender.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Oh, and Buck, just use your regular account. You?re better than a burner account to talk on here. Save that for Twitter.

You're one of the inherently stupid ones.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 10:39 AM
I like you intentionally swapping accounts back to back on my account, Bucky, in an attempt to put Batman and Bruce Wayne in the same room at the same time. 😂
Will?s numbers in this system have him ranked at number 2. That?s awesome, but he?s not even in a top QB conversation. Maybe he will be next year, but you don?t have to push him so hard on us like he?s your kid. I know you can?t stand criticism, but you?re so far gone that you can?t even stand a complementary statement that doesn?t claim that he?s better than Dak.

I hope you are enjoying yourself. Bc you couldnt be more wrong or make a bigger ass of yourself if you tried.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Just so's you know ... I wouldn't trade Will for any QB in conference right now. Hell probably in the country but then I haven't watched all the QBs in the country either.

The kids on the team would agree with that.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 10:41 AM

Im a lot better than you rn for sure

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2021, 10:41 AM

I think like all stats it is a measurement of production - and it can be influenced by the system, team talent, and competition on your schedule just like any other stat. Am I surprised that QBs on NC caliber teams lead the country in passer rating almost every year? No. They typically have the best players around them which weighs things in their favor from the start. Look at a kid like Stetson Bennett. He's 3rd in the country in QBR - there is no way he is the 3rd most talented QB in the country. He may not even be the 3rd most talented on the UGA roster. But, he has become a very good game manager - and he has the best talent in the country around him and he has learned to rely on it instead of his arm. Unlike last season when he was 90th in the country in QBR. And UGA's coaches have adjusted their play calling to his abilities and set him up well for success.

Tater
11-07-2021, 11:37 AM

In this system... no. Corral isn't built for this system. It's predicated on out smarting and being more accurate / execute better than your opponent. Will now does better than 2014 Dak would have in this system. 2015 Dak on the other hand would have been phenomenal. Will has actually shown a similar mental leap as Dak did from 14' to 15'. Given the same amount of time in the system and over a year worth of game reps then yea, there's other guys who would be better. But you can't plug in Corral today and say we'd be better.

Todd4State
11-07-2021, 11:47 AM
In the second half was really good. Actually he has improved so much and is getting so much better every week. Biggest thing I saw against Arkansas was his ability to move out of the pocket and not get sacked as much as in the past. This comes from experience as well as him seeing the field better and finding his second or third receiver.
Fact is he is going to break many passing records that will be held for a long long time in this offense. He is still a young man maturing and showing much better arm strength. I have seen many (and even a good friend) saying he will face competition or we need a better QB, I say it ain't gonna happen. Dude may have 3 years from a Covid year, his future is bright and he is starting to show more leadership. Seems to me he and the Pirate have a good relationship and understanding about his ability.

Btw yes the offense has improved, I'm on board as I had doubts, but we gotta recruit and get some speed on both side of the ball. Special teams have been talked about and all I can say is it needs work.

Agree 100%

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Im a lot better than you rn for sure

Buck, answer me this. Are you Blair, the mortgage guy? Multiple accounts. Complete infatuation with a great guy that will be a great player for us, but ultimately probably isn?t that special outside of our little world. Were you completely in love with Jake like you are Will, almost to an embarrassing degree for an adult man? You fit the bill in a lot of areas.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 12:01 PM
Bucky, at what point will you see that complementing others doesn?t take away from Will? That not anointing him the greatest player ever at MSU doesn?t mean others hate him? We are just not as infatuated with him as you and your MaybeBuckyDawg601 account are. Relax, bud. 😉

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 12:25 PM
I will let you do you. I have no idea what you are even talking about. I can promise you, this place would miss me a lot more than it would you. Even 7 would agree with that. But carry on.

SilentSteel16
11-07-2021, 12:30 PM
Wow, a lot of man love in here. Looks like he wants to be your huckleberry Bucky. Maybe even see your huckleberry. What is it the kids say these days? Hashtag Obsessed

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Wow, a lot of man love in here. Looks like he wants to be your huckleberry Bucky. Maybe even see your huckleberry. What is it the kids say these days? Hashtag Obsessed

Idk apparently I have multiple accounts and run a mortgage company while also being Batman and Bruce Wayne. All while still finding the time to follow Will and Mangum around like a groupie

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 12:43 PM
Bucky is a B****. I?ll give you that one, B. You were honest there.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 12:45 PM

You can cower down when he says dumb stuff. Couldn?t be me.

bulldawg28
11-07-2021, 12:50 PM
Will is balling and has turned the corner there is no doubting it. His decision making, checking into good plays, and playmaking is top 5 in the SEC.

TrapGame
11-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Will is balling and has turned the corner there is no doubting it. His decision making, checking into good plays, and playmaking is top 5 in the SEC.

Right.

Anyone complaining about Will now is just an insufferable douche.

SilentSteel16
11-07-2021, 01:04 PM

Are you drunk?

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 01:11 PM

Yours is truly the greater will

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Bucky is a B****. I?ll give you that one, B. You were honest there.

Like button push

basedog
11-07-2021, 01:18 PM
Well, if high level playing experience is a pre req for being able to talk football, this place should shut down today. Where?d you play QB in college? Pros?

I played it, you would be surprised, I also understand the position and many don't. Nothing wrong for folks to be critical of ones play, just saying.

BuckyIsAB****
11-07-2021, 01:19 PM
I played it, you would be surprised, I also understand the position and many don't. Nothing wrong for folks to be critical of ones play, just saying.

Like button push

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 01:25 PM

This. SEC and NCAA recorded all.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 01:27 PM

Rep given my man! Always respect your takes because I know you know what you're taking about!

SilentSteel16
11-07-2021, 02:02 PM

Most people don’t get it, but ED is actually represented well by former people who were paid to play sports.. i know of 4 very active posters who have made a living in sports.. a lot of people on here are lifelong fans but there are several that bring way more than an opinion to the table. You would be very surprised by who does read these posts. That is why we don’t need to be overly negative on players. Just embrace them and support them because college sports is not easy, and it is very irritating to be down trodden by people who can’t tie your cleats.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Most people don’t get it, but ED is actually represented well by former people who were paid to play sports.. i know of 4 very active posters who have made a living in sports.. a lot of people on here are lifelong fans but there are several that bring way more than an opinion to the table. You would be very surprised by who does read these posts. That is why we don’t need to be overly negative on players. Just embrace them and support them because college sports is not easy, and it is very irritating to be down trodden by people who can’t tie your cleats.

Spot on as always!

SilentSteel16
11-07-2021, 02:28 PM
And for the record I am NOT one of the four I was referencing …

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 04:04 PM
Like button push

Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
Don?t forget to use the pointers. 😉

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 04:11 PM

No one should reach out to players to disparage them in any way. Message boards are places to voice concerns, sing praises, and bring the sunshine pumpers and negative fans back towards center while solving all MSU?s issues even though they?ve never once asked our opinion. 😂

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 05:20 PM
Will Rogers has some big steel
balls! He's a gamer! We've never had a qb who has been able to bring us back like Will, not even Dak. Now I wish he would get off to faster starts but there's no quit in the kid and the team seems to believe In him and the play hard for him. Some folks act like you have to be a potential first round draft pick to be a great college qb and that's simply not the case(the list is to long to even go into). Will is becoming a great college qb and
leader and barring some injury will
leave here with a busload of school, SEC and NCAA records. I love the way the kid plays and I'm glad we got him. We need to enjoy watching this young man while he's here. He has some things to clean up for sure but dang he's growing up right before our eyes! I knew when we got the ball back he would get us in a position to tie it, I just knew it. He gives me that kind of belief. Shame we couldn't get it done but I believe our future is in good hands.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 05:26 PM
balls! He's a gamer! We've never had a qb who has been able to bring us back like Will, not even Dak. Now I wish he would get off to faster starts but there's no quit in the kid and the team seems to believe In him and the play hard for him. Some folks act like you have to be a potential first round draft pick to be a great college qb and that's simply not the case(the list is to long to even go into). Will is becoming a great college qb and
leave here with a busload of school, SEC and NCAA records. I love the way the kid plays and I'm glad we got him. We need to enjoy watching this young man while he's here. He has some things to clean up for sure but dang he's growing up right before our eyes! I knew when we got the ball back he would get us in a position to tie it, I just knew it. He gives me that kind of belief. Shame we couldn't get it done but I believe our future is in good hands.

Good post ... as usual. Moving from our 25 to their 23 in :21 secs ... pretty darn impressive. While I love Dak ... the 2 min drill wasn't his forte'.

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2021, 05:34 PM

And it's not just about "system". Do y'all realize it is likely that in the AU game he will become the all-time NCAA leader in career completion percentage. That record is based on a minimum of 875 career attempts. He will hit that career number next week. His career completion percentage is at 72.6% currently. If he matches that pace next week he will be a full 2.2 points ahead of Colt Brennan the current record holder. It's 2.7 points ahead of the best Leach QB - Graham Harrell. That is insane.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 05:35 PM
Good post ... as usual. Moving from our 25 to their 23 in :21 secs ... pretty darn impressive. While I love Dak ... the 2 min drill wasn't his forte'.

Thanks. Dak is a special player and is an MSU legend. It's still early but I believe by the time Will leaves here(barring injury) we will feel the same way about him. He really has some of that "IT" to him. I'm enjoying watching the young man ball. Enjoy him while he's here we've never had a passer quite like him.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 05:38 PM
And it's not just about "system". Do y'all realize it is likely that in the AU game he will become the all-time NCAA leader in career completion percentage. That record is based on a minimum of 875 career attempts. He will hit that career number next week. His career completion percentage is at 72.6% currently. If he matches that pace next week he will be a full 2.2 points ahead of Colt Brennan the current record holder. It's 2.7 points ahead of the best Leach QB - Graham Harrell. That is insane.

Yeah if it was just the "system" you could pretty much plug and play any average 3 star qb and have success. It's way more than just the system it's who's driving. Heck you could put me in Earnhardt juniors car and I'd kill myself and not win a race. Put him in there and different story. I heard for years Tom Brady was a "system" qb too, lol. Turns out he IS the system.

Dak Holliday
11-07-2021, 05:44 PM
You're one of the inherently stupid ones.

Thanks for playing, but you?re not even worth arguing with. Nothing I?ve ever seen you post is of consequence.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 05:48 PM
Thanks for playing, but you?re not even worth arguing with. Nothing I?ve ever seen you post is of consequence.

Back at you x10.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 05:50 PM
Thanks. Dak is a special player and is an MSU legend. It's still early but I believe by the time Will leaves here(barring injury) we will feel the same way about him. He really has some of that "IT" to him. I'm enjoying watching the young man ball. Enjoy him while he's here we've never had a passer quite like him.

I know it's still early and Will has a long ways to go but being a true soph ... he's progressing real well. Has to keep at it and improving tho.

Catfish
11-07-2021, 05:53 PM
I know it's still early and Will has a long ways to go but being a true soph ... he's progressing real well. Has to keep at it and improving tho.

Actually Will is a RS freshman because of Covid.

dawgday166
11-07-2021, 05:54 PM
Actually Will is a RS freshman because of Covid.

Even better then. I tend to forget about that.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 05:56 PM

No doubt that still things to improve on. He has shown tremendous progress and he definitely has the work ethic to continue to make the strides necessary to keep improving.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2021, 05:57 PM
Even better then. I tend to forget about that.

Yeah he has 3 more years after this one if he so chooses.

confucius say
11-07-2021, 06:22 PM

You think every other P5 qb would be as accurate and as good as a decision maker as will in this offense? I disagree

confucius say
11-07-2021, 06:26 PM

No bc it punishes teams who throw the ball a lot.

confucius say
11-07-2021, 06:27 PM

Accuracy and decision making

Bdawg
11-07-2021, 06:27 PM

Yep. Passer rating doesn't include heart, being clutch and the will to win. I'd say Will has shown these characteristics.

confucius say
11-07-2021, 06:30 PM

It looks like there is a strong correlation between great passer rating and having better talent than everybody you play.

Bdawg
11-07-2021, 06:31 PM

A lot of those guys are surrounded by great talent too. That makes thing easier on them. Things are more equal in the nfl.

DAWG1903
11-07-2021, 06:38 PM

Amen! I don?t remember to many teams we have had that could have pulled that off. But the offense did and gave us the chance. As noted by others - we have to start faster. Will is already and will continue to set records.

msstate7
11-08-2021, 07:58 AM
No bc it punishes teams who throw the ball a lot.

Lol, wut? The last 2 years, mac jones and burrow led the nation in passer rating and passing yards.

msstate7
11-08-2021, 08:00 AM
A lot of those guys are surrounded by great talent too. That makes thing easier on them. Things are more equal in the nfl.

5 of the 7 started an nfl game this year. 6 of the 7 are in the nfl as qbs. Did they bring their supporting cast with them?

PCHSDawg
11-08-2021, 12:02 PM
5 of the 7 started an nfl game this year. 6 of the 7 are in the nfl as qbs. Did they bring their supporting cast with them?

Maybe they are surrounded by NFL talent now? Just saying.

msstate7
11-08-2021, 12:04 PM
Maybe they are surrounded by NFL talent now? Just saying.

Nfl teams are keeping them on a roster for what reason?
Where's josh Rosen and the countless others that were high picks?

ETA... speaking of Rosen, I looked up his last passer rating at UCLA, 146.97, woof. Darnold (another bust) was 148.09

Cooterpoot
11-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Will is obviously still not 100% locked into the offense. Making a bad call to cost us points shows that. He's shown improvement though. Hard to knock him based on everything. And this offense still has a a ways to go. We've just started doing so things as the season has moved along. Players are getting comfortable in the offense too.

confucius say
11-08-2021, 01:18 PM
Lol, wut? The last 2 years, mac jones and burrow led the nation in passer rating and passing yards.

Attempts. Not yards. Specifically, attempts in offenses that don't run the ball. A stat that penalizes yards per attempt will never be a good stat for the air raid.

msstate7
11-08-2021, 01:26 PM
Attempts. Not yards. Specifically, attempts in offenses that don't run the ball. A stat that penalizes yards per attempt will never be a good stat for the air raid.

Jones was 4th in attempts last year
Burrow was 2nd in 2019

You're wrong. It's ok

ETA.. for instance, zappe is 2nd in att this year (43 less than will), and he's 13th in passer rating.

confucius say
11-09-2021, 08:11 AM
Jones was 4th in attempts last year
Burrow was 2nd in 2019

You're wrong. It's ok

ETA.. for instance, zappe is 2nd in att this year (43 less than will), and he's 13th in passer rating.

None of those run the air raid. And run the ball more than us.
It is an undeniable fact that stat penalizes low yards per attempt, no?

Using that stat to minimize will or the air raid is just like me using completion percentage to prop up will and the air raid, bc this offense lends itself to low yards per attempt and high completion percentage. They are both misleading (and pointless) stats with this offense (unless you give will a team full of nfl guys like burrow and Jones had).

msstate7
11-09-2021, 08:13 AM
None of those run the air raid.

Using that stat to minimize will or the air raid is just like me using completion percentage to prop up will and the air raid, bc this offense lends itself to low yards per attempt and high completion percentage. They are both misleading (and pointless) stats with this offense (unless you give will a team full of nfl guys like burrow and Jones had).

Will's last 2 games in passer rating: 174.87 and 171.37. Both are outstanding, and so, no, he wasn't penalized

dawgday166
11-09-2021, 08:47 AM
None of those run the air raid. And run the ball more than us.

Good post. As Will is getting more acclimated to the offense and game slows down for him, seeing the field better and finding 3rd & 4th options, I'm seeing his ypa go up. Oline blocking better helps too.

Starting to think 7 has a hard on for Leach and just doesn't like him too much. Combine that with his boy Mullenz imploding at FL and he having a bad season **** Just messing with you 7.

msstate7
11-09-2021, 08:57 AM
Good post. As Will is getting more acclimated to the offense and game slows down for him, seeing the field better and finding 3rd & 4th options, I'm seeing his ypa go up. Oline blocking better helps too.

Starting to think 7 has a hard on for Leach and just doesn't like him too much. Combine that with his boy Mullenz imploding at FL and he having a bad season **** Just messing with you 7.

I've actually been quite impressed with will and leach the last 2 weeks. I just can't stand things like "we lost bc the refs" or "the stats are biased against us".

Will has gone from 10th in the sec in passer rating up to 6th in the last few games. He's played much better, and his passer rating reflects that. Good job, will.

dawgday166
11-09-2021, 09:10 AM
I've actually been quite impressed with will and leach the last 2 weeks. I just can't stand things like "we lost bc the refs" or "the stats are biased against us".

Will has gone from 10th in the sec in passer rating up to 6th in the last few games. He's played much better, and his passer rating reflects that. Good job, will.

I almost never say "we lost cause of refs". They did hose us in both Arky and Memphis games but we shouldn't have been in a position to lose either of those games regardless. Our good run D gave up 200 yds rushing on Sat. We can't be letting that happen. They shouldn't have scored more than low-20's against us IMO.

My main concern right now with Leach is I'm not sure what his emphasis is on DL & LB & S recruiting. We ok but we need to be faster and more physical in all of those. DL & LB are where we need to reach for the 4* and the Jeff Simmons 5* types. Can't be letting other teams steal our homegrown stud DLs.

confucius say
11-09-2021, 09:28 AM
Will's last 2 games in passer rating: 174.87 and 171.37. Both are outstanding, and so, no, he wasn't penalized

Impressive. Makes sense bc his average per attempt in both of those two games was 8.8, whereas his average was 6.4 coming into those games. Passer rating skied when his yards per attempt jumped 38%.

msstate7
11-09-2021, 09:41 AM
Impressive. Makes sense bc his average per attempt in both of those two games was 8.8, whereas his average was 6.4 coming into those games. Passer rating skied when his yards per attempt jumped 38%.

It is impressive and a credit to will and leach. I preached all off-season about how the yds/att was a key to improved offense. I think we all see the improvement the last 2 weeks as that stat improved

confucius say
11-09-2021, 10:10 AM
It is impressive and a credit to will and leach. I preached all off-season about how the yds/att was a key to improved offense. I think we all see the improvement the last 2 weeks as that stat improved

Yep. And I think the willingness to run the ball more has allowed for that stat to jump.

Dak Holliday
11-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Agree 100%👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
One dimensional attack just doesn?t work against good opponents

Percho
11-09-2021, 04:09 PM
Yep. And I think the willingness to run the ball more has allowed for that stat to jump.

Is it willingness to run or is it that our QB is beginning to understand when the run is there?

Tater
11-09-2021, 07:06 PM
Is it willingness to run or is it that our QB is beginning to understand when the run is there?

The second one.

Percho
11-09-2021, 09:31 PM
The second one.

I agree so I guess we must ask, does that mean Leach is a sorry teacher, Will is as dumb as a rock or it is one of those things that come with maturity and experience?

Tater
11-10-2021, 09:07 AM
I agree so I guess we must ask, does that mean Leach is a sorry teacher, Will is as dumb as a rock or it is one of those things that come with maturity and experience?

Experience diagnosing the defense. Maybe a little maturity too but I'm not sure. Will still isn't fully there with reading imo. Currently he's committing to the run too much imo. At least at the goaline. There are plays where you can tell presnap in the last two games that we're running no matter what. I think with time that will get worked out of his system. He's got 3 more years here and after watching the last two games on him I'm sold he can do what needs to be done. He's fitting passes into tight windows which will defeat drop 8.