PDA

View Full Version : 5 of our losses are to BCS Top 12 teams, the 6th to #21.....

Goat Holder
11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Facts is facts. Sure I want to beat them too but again, facts gone be facts.

Madkinmecrazy
11-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Facts is facts. Sure I want to beat them too but again, facts gone be facts.

Our team isn't that bad, but our schedule has been killer. I want to get to the point where we can beat these ranked teams, but our offense isn't stepping up. We are close, and a play away from 5-5.

I think we've got a good chance to make a serious move next year if we can stay healthy.

bluelightstar
11-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Our 4 wins are over #84, #67, #98, and a SWAC team.

MadDawg
11-18-2013, 09:47 AM

So what would we do against teams in the 25-65 range? It's obvious the Dan haters think we would lose them all and the Dan supporters think we would win.

bluelightstar
11-18-2013, 09:49 AM
So what would we do against teams in the 25-65 range? It's obvious the Dan haters think we would lose them all and the Dan supporters think we would win.

We'll find out in 2 weeks.

Madkinmecrazy
11-18-2013, 09:50 AM

That doesn't look so good.... but it's interesting that we haven't played anyone between #21 and #67.

Our schedule was just strange this year. No mid-range teams.

starkvegasdawg
11-18-2013, 10:16 AM
That doesn't look so good.... but it's interesting that we haven't played anyone between #21 and #67.

Our schedule was just strange this year. No mid-range teams.

I would bet that is how it looks most years. Our OOC games and UK are usually jokes and then our SECW games are always the elite of the elite. The only chance for a mid-tier game is who our other east opponent is and then TSUN and what kind of year they are having.

FlabLoser
11-18-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't care if we lost to the Denver Broncos. When a loss comes due to reasons that should not be happening, I get pissed. Bonus pissed for missing a chance for a monumental upset.

The Croom Diaries
11-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Excuses are just alibis to conceal unacceptable performance.

Goat Holder
11-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Can't argue with that, for sure. But there again, both what you posted and what I posted is all we've got to go by. It's not like we've had a chance to do anything else.

Goat Holder
11-18-2013, 10:53 AM
I agree with you on Auburn. The rest, well, I don't think they come out differently even if we do everything perfectly.

maroonmania
11-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Here is my issue which has NOTHING to do with our record. Its the fact that we have been closer to losing to BG and KY than we have been to winning any of the games we've lost except for Auburn. And I'm sorry, but I am 100% convinced that Auburn was a team that had not truly jelled yet when we played them. We would have a lot of trouble playing them close again if we had a rematch today. It truly does amaze me what Malzahn can do with an offense and do it with a QB in his first year of playing under him.

Goat Holder
11-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Well by all means, give everybody else the benefit of the doubt, but not your own team.

I hate fans like you.

Goat Holder
11-18-2013, 11:08 AM
What excuse? I posted some facts.

dawgs
11-18-2013, 11:27 AM
thing is, we don't have to beat them all for people to be happy, beat 1 or 2 of them and most of us would be content. i'd love to get to the point that we can win 30-40% of our games against the better half of our schedule and totally dominate the weak half of our schedule. right now we win 0% of the games against to better half of our schedule and barely scrape by against some of the weaker half of our schedule.

but per usual on the internet, if you are frustrated it's because you think we should be bama and don't have a realistic view of our program.

Madkinmecrazy
11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
thing is, we don't have to beat them all for people to be happy, beat 1 or 2 of them and most of us would be content. i'd love to get to the point that we can win 30-40% of our games against the better half of our schedule and totally dominate the weak half of our schedule. right now we win 0% of the games against to better half of our schedule and barely scrape by against some of the weaker half of our schedule.

but per usual on the internet, if you are frustrated it's because you think we should be bama and don't have a realistic view of our program.

According to many, we are just a HUD away from being Bama.

tcdog70
11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
we continue to lose because of shitty special teams. Who is our Special Teams Coach? Just saying.

maroonmania
11-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Well by all means, give everybody else the benefit of the doubt, but not your own team.

I hate fans like you.

Well, assuming your response was to me, sorry you don't like my opinion but haters gonna hate. If it makes you feel any better I don't think LSU would beat Auburn now either, certainly not by 2 scores.

dawgs
11-18-2013, 12:02 PM
According to many, we are just a HUD away from being Bama.

i haven't read anyone on here saying that.

some people rightfully point out some of our questionable decisions and wonder if a better in game coach would have handle things differently, but no one is saying we would have beaten bama if hud was our coach. okie st, auburn, and bama all played less than their best game against us and were primed to be upset, but we couldn't get out of our own way to get it done. yes i'm happy we fought hard, but the last couple of minutes it was like mullen just gave up. i got texts from 2 different friends commenting on how it was weird that we were just taking our moral victory and going home. i know williams was in there, but shit, just throw it down the field 4 times and see if we got lucky and pulled an auburn out of our ass, don't just run down the clock. even if we turned the ball over on downs in our own redzone or threw a pick on a deep pass, bama would have kneeled it out so the score wouldn't have gotten any worse. those are the kinds of things that piss me off, especially after being pleased with the fire and effort for 58 minutes then to just give up the last 2 minutes instead of finishing out the game.

smootness
11-18-2013, 12:05 PM

That isn't true. It seems true now, but once we started beating teams like that every once in a while, the expectations would grow and people would be upset it was only every once in a while. You would see people all over our message boards saying, 'Mullen has done a good job up until this point, but we have to start beating these teams more consistently. I mean, we clearly have the ability to do it but we keep making dumb mistakes that keep us from doing it consistently. I don't know if he's the guy to take us to the next step. Winning 8-9 games is fine, but when you have 4 gimme OOC games every year, then add Kentucky and (insert 1-2 teams that are down at the time), you're only talking about one extra win a year. We can do better than that'.

That is the cycle, and I'm not even saying it's a bad thing; it's natural. But it's funny to me to see fans say something like, 'If we just did x or y, we would be content'. Naturally, once you reach a certain level, that is your new basis for expectations. When you are terrible, all you want is a bowl game here and there. But then when you go to a couple of bowl games, you want them every year. Then when you're making a bowl game every year, you no longer think of yourself as the same program you were when you were terrible. In the fan's mind, you're now a better program than you were then, and just going to bowls isn't good enough. You expect to start beating some really good teams here and there. Once you get to that point, you expect to continue to get better and beat them consistently.

I know it may sound absurd to think of Mississippi State fans expecting to compete for championships every year, but that is the natural progression if you keep improving. The expectations don't just remain constant. 4 years ago, we weren't saying, 'We just need to go to some bowl games and beat top 10 teams'. We weren't even saying we needed to go to a bowl every year. Now we are. This is how it works.

maroonmania
11-18-2013, 01:15 PM
That isn't true. It seems true now, but once we started beating teams like that every once in a while, the expectations would grow and people would be upset it was only every once in a while. You would see people all over our message boards saying, 'Mullen has done a good job up until this point, but we have to start beating these teams more consistently. I mean, we clearly have the ability to do it but we keep making dumb mistakes that keep us from doing it consistently. I don't know if he's the guy to take us to the next step. Winning 8-9 games is fine, but when you have 4 gimme OOC games every year, then add Kentucky and (insert 1-2 teams that are down at the time), you're only talking about one extra win a year. We can do better than that'.

That is the cycle, and I'm not even saying it's a bad thing; it's natural. But it's funny to me to see fans say something like, 'If we just did x or y, we would be content'. Naturally, once you reach a certain level, that is your new basis for expectations. When you are terrible, all you want is a bowl game here and there. But then when you go to a couple of bowl games, you want them every year. Then when you're making a bowl game every year, you no longer think of yourself as the same program you were when you were terrible. In the fan's mind, you're now a better program than you were then, and just going to bowls isn't good enough. You expect to start beating some really good teams here and there. Once you get to that point, you expect to continue to get better and beat them consistently.

I know it may sound absurd to think of Mississippi State fans expecting to compete for championships every year, but that is the natural progression if you keep improving. The expectations don't just remain constant. 4 years ago, we weren't saying, 'We just need to go to some bowl games and beat top 10 teams'. We weren't even saying we needed to go to a bowl every year. Now we are. This is how it works.

You are just flat out wrong and the best example is JWS from 1997-2000. We occassionally beat good teams and were competitive most of the time when we lost and the fanbase was happy as clams. I know I was. One thing the MSU fanbase is not is delusional. Mullen is the one who came in talking about wanting to regularly compete for championships which I believe the fanbase never really bought into but I think most believe we CAN consistently win 7-9 games per year with a 12 game schedule and beat some good SEC teams in the process on occassion. So far with Mullen we are in the 5-8 win range and really haven't beaten any good teams since 2010.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2013, 01:43 PM
You are just flat out wrong and the best example is JWS from 1997-2000. We occassionally beat good teams and were competitive most of the time when we lost and the fanbase was happy as clams. I know I was. One thing the MSU fanbase is not is delusional. Mullen is the one who came in talking about wanting to regularly compete for championships which I believe the fanbase never really bought into but I think most believe we CAN consistently win 7-9 games per year with a 12 game schedule and beat some good SEC teams in the process on occassion. So far with Mullen we are in the 5-8 win range and really haven't beaten any good teams since 2010.

Exactly.

Smootness, I'm a little disappointed to hear that coming from you. I typically agree with most of your posts,but You know that is not true. Hell, we were all pleased as shit during Mullen's first 3 seasons...even the one where we went 6-6 and then beat Wake. Why? Because we were playing hard and getting the most out of our talent. We were just losing to teams that were WAY better than us.

But now, we are starting to get pissed. Not because we think 6-6 is below our standards. But because our coach has got more talent than ever, but he isn't getting the most out of it anymore and he is making more mistakes with personnel and in-game decisions than he did his first season. We are now in a position to where we are closing the talent gap between us and the SC's, A&M's, Auburn's, and widening the gap between us and UK, BG, Ark,etc.....yet we're having to overcome coaching screw ups weekly just to squeak by the weak teams and be somewhat competitive with the good teams.

Like maroonmania just said...our fan base is not delusional (for the most part). If we are giving max effort from a player and coaching standpoint, you can damn near name the amount of time you can be our coach. But as soon as effort falls off and coaching starts costing us games...we don't accept that well. Most of our fans are hard workers. we don't expect the team to win them all or even win most of them every year...but we DO expect you to leave it on the field for 4 quarters and for our coaches to preach fundamentals and put our team in the best position to win. That's the only way we can be successful at MSU, and we know that.

A perfect example of the MSU fan base is the Stansbury vs Ray situation. Most people with any sense, are excited about the way Ray's team plays. Not because we are winning 25 games per year, but because they scrap for 4 quarters and we respect the shit out of that. Meanwhile, we hated watching Stansbury's undisciplined teams his last 4-5 years, even though they were winning and almost making the dance every year. Why?'because they were not giving max effort and had the potential to be so much better, but Stansbury didn't demand it.

Dawgtini
11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Excellent! +1

RougeDawg
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Exactly.

Smootness, I'm a little disappointed to hear that coming from you. I typically agree with most of your posts, but based on what you just posted,why do we even field a team? If none of us will ever be pleased, then why even play? You know that is not true. Hell, we were all pleased as shit during Mullen's first 3 seasons...even the one where we went 6-6 and then beat Wake. Why? Because we were playing hard and getting the most out of our talent. We were just losing to teams that were WAY better than us.

But now, we are starting to get pissed. Not because we think 6-6 is below our standards. But because our coach has got more talent than ever, but he isn't getting the most out of it anymore and he is making more mistakes with personnel and in-game decisions than he did his first season. We are now in a position to where we are closing the talent gap between us and the SC's, A&M's, Auburn's, and widening the gap between us and UK, BG, Ark,etc.....yet we're having to overcome coaching screw ups weekly just to squeak by the weak teams and be somewhat competitive with the good teams.

Like maroonmania just said...our fan base is not delusional (for the most part). If we are giving max effort from a player and coaching standpoint, you can damn near name the amount of time you can be our coach. But as soon as effort falls off and coaching starts costing us games...we don't accept that well. Most of our fans are hard workers. we don't expect the team to win them all or even win most of them every year...but we DO expect you to leave it on the field for 4 quarters and for our coaches to preach fundamentals and put our team in the best position to win. That's the only way we can be successful at MSU, and we know that.

A perfect example of the MSU fan base is the Stansbury vs Ray situation. Most people with any sense, are excited about the way Ray's team plays. Not because we are winning 25 games per year, but because they scrap for 4 quarters and we respect the shit out of that. Meanwhile, we hated watching Stansbury's undisciplined teams his last 4-5 years, even though they were winning and almost making the dance every year. Why?'because they were not giving max effort and had the potential to be so much better, but Stansbury didn't demand it.

Let me add that yes, losing sucks, but the team playing their asses off until 00:00 in the 4th gives us some hope that they'll start winning some of the close, competitive games against the better teams.

What pisses all of us off, or should, is the way our coaches (mainly head coach) throw in the towel in the 3rd/4th quarters and have a shit eating grin on the sidelines with a "at least we tried for a half" bullshit attitude. That's what piss us off. If the team that showed up this past Saturday, had shown up like that the first half of the season, we'd have at least one more, if not, 2-3 more wins. That's what pisses us off. Dan now knows his job is riding on the last month of the season and we finally see a team playing with passion and urgency. To become an upper tier program you have to play with this urgency from week 1, not November when a bowl game hinges on winning your last 2 games. This is what pisses us off. We know we have more talent than we showed games 1-7, but we did less with more. This has become a recurring theme of Mullen the last 2+ seasons. This is what pisses us off. Wake the hell up and see the reality of what's been goin on.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM

Outstanding post. I'm not sure it's a bad thing either, but it is predictable and a cyclical.

maroonmania
11-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Outstanding post. I'm not sure it's a bad thing either, but it is predictable and a cyclical.

Nope, not an outstanding post because its not true. Yea, maybe if we were winning 8-9 games for 10 years or more but we are a LONG way from anything like that. And I really doubt it would happen even then.

Coach007
11-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Alot of valid points.

My issue with Mullen is the way he uses the players. It's the lack of getting a QB and that will catch up to us next year! It's the plays called in situations like 3rd down with 6 inches to get a first, and we are throwing the ball instead of using the 2 plays to get a 1st down on their 1.

dawgs
11-18-2013, 03:05 PM

well obviously, but my point was that right now if we won 1-2 games against the better half of our schedule, we'd be content for a awhile. that would also lead to landing a few better recruits, which improves our talent level, and puts us in position to expect to win another game against the better half of the schedule. should we not want to improve? as of right now we are basically 0-fer against the better part of our schedule in the mullen era. he took us from being shit to being a consistent bowl team, now it's time for the next step which is winning 1-2 games against bama/lsu/a&m/usce/okie st.

i also think that if you get to the point of regularly winning 9-10 games (roughly .500 against the better half of the schedule), you are a few lucky breaks from making a sec title run/national title run any given season.