PDA

View Full Version : Should we have just gone for the TD at the end?

Quaoarsking
11-06-2021, 06:58 PM
Yes, I think so. Didn't we all know McCord would miss it?

If we couldn't trust Ruiz to put the first 2 out of his mind, ho for the win.

chef dixon
11-06-2021, 06:58 PM
No but Ruiz should have kicked

PGHBulldogBG
11-06-2021, 07:00 PM
I am assuming Ruiz was hurt?

RocketDawg
11-06-2021, 07:04 PM
No, but I was surprised to see McCord. Maybe Ruiz was hurt? He'd made a 46-yarder previously and had to be our best choice in that situation.

parabrave
11-06-2021, 07:04 PM
Yes. Defense was gassed.

Apoplectic
11-06-2021, 07:05 PM
Hell no that?s ridiculous

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2021, 07:05 PM
A guy I went to school with, his brother kicked for GT in either 2003 or 2004. He missed 5 FGs in a game. The next game he hit the game winner. After the 5 misses people were texting him to end it all in the shower and not get on the bus.

Remember these guys chose to be Bulldogs. They are one of us.

Even with all the shit, our offense and defense did what it took to win the game. The refs decided to extend multiple drives for Ark today. The last one we can all agree was a 100% fictitious gift ala Memphis game all over again.

If anything, our fans should flood the SEC office with 17 you letters.

Apoplectic
11-06-2021, 07:07 PM
A guy I went to school with, his brother kicked for GT in either 2003 or 2004. He missed 5 FGs in a game. The next game he hit the game winner. After the 5 misses people were texting him to end it all in the shower and not get on the bus.

Even with all the shit, our offense and defense did what it took to win the game. The refs decided to extend multiple drives for Ark today. The last one we can all agree was a 100% fictitious gift ala Memphis game all over again.

The kicker didn?t 17 this up - it was a bad snap/hold

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2021, 07:11 PM
Yes we should?ve gone for the jugular. Will is that MFer at this point and I trust him a hell of a lot more than any kicker on our roster.

MetEdDawg
11-06-2021, 07:21 PM
If you say yes seriously you are beyond stupid.

Try and convert a 40 yard FG or score a 33 yard TD?

If you legitimately think the answer is try for the 33 yard TD then I don't know what to say. You kick the FG every time in that situation.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2021, 07:23 PM

If you legitimately think the answer is try for the 33 yard TD then I don't know what to say. You kick the FG every time in that situation.

If you legitimately thought there was a chance in hell that we were making that kick then you are beyond stupid. We had no shot to make that and everyone knew it.

BayouDawg
11-06-2021, 07:23 PM
No, but I was surprised to see McCord. Maybe Ruiz was hurt? He'd made a 46-yarder previously and had to be our best choice in that situation.

He missed the 46 yarder and checked himself out.

MBDawg601
11-06-2021, 07:28 PM
If you legitimately thought there was a chance in hell that we were making that kick then you are beyond stupid. We had no shot to make that and everyone knew it.

My stepmom (vol fan) messaged me and said "hope he makes it!!!" I already had my warm milk and ready for bed. No shot he makes that coming off the bench, on the road, for the win.

No shot.

3rdGen
11-06-2021, 07:28 PM
I?m trying to figure out how we left 9 points on the field. Can somebody tell me what the name for the kicker on the Dr Pepper commercial name was. We need to talk to him.

MetEdDawg
11-06-2021, 07:35 PM

You're serious aren't you?

This is absolutely ridiculous that this is even a topic of discussion.

I want you to ask every single football coach you know about our exact situation and see how many of them go for the 33 yard TD or the 40 yard FG and report back to us on your findings.

I'm legitimately baffled right now that people think going for a 33 yard TD was an actual option there.

BeardoMSU
11-06-2021, 07:36 PM
the answer is simple...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/mg7N5iXLYxVv2/giphy-downsized-large.gif

...that being said, it would be nice to have a FG kicker.

RougeDawg
11-06-2021, 07:38 PM

Don?t try to reason with Met. He already got his booster and the mRNA is already taking his wrong brain further into the wrong category.

Leach went for it on 4th down 1st drive because he had no confidence in kicking game. Why do we always have shit kickers? Not cowboy boot shit kickers either.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2021, 07:49 PM

I want you to ask every single football coach you know about our exact situation and see how many of them go for the 33 yard TD or the 40 yard FG and report back to us on your findings.

I'm legitimately baffled right now that people think going for a 33 yard TD was an actual option there.

Yes I?m serious. I go for the jugular on that fat POS Pittman. Especially since my kicker has missed 2 FGs already and damn near shanked a couple of XPs. You and every other coach can disagree all you want to. The fact of the matter is that none of us make 5+ mil a year to make that decision so all we?re doing is giving our opinion.

MetEdDawg
11-06-2021, 07:53 PM
Don?t try to reason with Met. He already got his booster and the mRNA is already taking his wrong brain further into the wrong category.

Leach went for it on 4th down 1st drive because he had no confidence in kicking game. Why do we always have shit kickers? Not cowboy boot shit kickers either.

Ok let me get this straight. You made a vaccine joke (not sure why) because I suggested we kick a 40 yard FG to tie a football rather than try and score a 33 yard TD to win the game with no time left?

We literally have the dumbest fan base. So is the plan to throw a Hail Mary and hope for the best?

I'm just dumbfounded we have real fans actually advocating for this.

Bothrops
11-06-2021, 07:55 PM
I think so, but it would have been difficult due to distance. Hail Mary would have been impossible.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2021, 07:55 PM
Ok let me get this straight. You made a vaccine joke (not sure why) because I suggested we kick a 40 yard FG to tie a football rather than try and score a 33 yard TD to win the game with no time left?

We literally have the dumbest fan base. So iis the plan to throw a Hail Mary and hope for the best?

No. If you took the time to read I said that we should?ve run the skinny post to Williams that we ran all game that had been WIDE DAMN OPEN every time. The only time they defended it they had PI

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2021, 07:57 PM
No. If you took the time to read I said that we should?ve run the skinny post to Williams that we ran all game that had been WIDE DAMN OPEN every time. The only time they defended it they had PI

And again. None of our opinions matter at the end of the day. We?re just pontificating on a message board. We all want the same thing which is success for Mississippi State

MetEdDawg
11-06-2021, 07:58 PM

You do realize they would have been in a prevent defense with a 3 man rush and about 5 guys standing on the goal line correct?

I'm fine with saying Ruiz should have kicked it instead of McCord. But skinny post is the brilliant idea that gets us the 33 yard TD? Jesus.

Dak Holliday
11-06-2021, 08:20 PM

LBs miss tackles. OL miss blocks. QBs throw ints. That?s all part of the game. If anyone is considering sending Ruiz or McCord anything like that, I hope that they stop and ask themselves how they?d feel if someone sent that to their son or brother. It?s a game. It sucks to lose, but it?s not that important.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2021, 08:33 PM
Yes, I think so. Didn't we all know McCord would miss it?

If we couldn't trust Ruiz to put the first 2 out of his mind, ho for the win.

Good heavens this is ridiculous take.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2021, 08:34 PM

We had a much better chance at converting that kick than a 33 yard pass

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2021, 08:35 PM
You do realize they would have been in a prevent defense with a 3 man rush and about 5 guys standing on the goal line correct?

I'm fine with saying Ruiz should have kicked it instead of McCord. But skinny post is the brilliant idea that gets us the 33 yard TD? Jesus.

If they?re in prevent then we beat them. Odom would not have played prevent right there. 5 guys standing on the goaline and we just run a damn screen to Marks and let him walk in.

Dak Holliday
11-06-2021, 08:36 PM
the answer is simple...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/mg7N5iXLYxVv2/giphy-downsized-large.gif

...that being said, it would be nice to have a FG kicker.

Like button push x2 ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

MetEdDawg
11-06-2021, 08:48 PM
If they?re in prevent then we beat them. Odom would not have played prevent right there. 5 guys standing on the goaline and we just run a damn screen to Marks and let him walk in.

What????

You do know the guys can move forward to tackle right? It's not like foosball where the guys can only move laterally right?

This has gotten out of hand. I refuse to be part of this stupidity.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2021, 09:22 PM
What????

You do know the guys can move forward to tackle right? It's not like foosball where the guys can only move laterally right?

This has gotten out of hand. I refuse to be part of this stupidity.

Since you apparently can?t do simple math I will help you. If they have 5 on the goal line that means they have 6 to cover everyone else. Common sense tells us they?ll put 3 down lineman so that?s 8. That leaves 3 to roam. We have 5 OL and 4 receivers in most sets so that?s 9 blocking. I?ll take my chances with your dumbass defense and I?m fairly certain I?ll score. I?m glad you?re refusing to be part of stupidity since you?ve contributed to it the entire thread to this point.

cujo
11-06-2021, 10:13 PM
Since you apparently can?t do simple math I will help you. If they have 5 on the goal line that means they have 6 to cover everyone else. Common sense tells us they?ll put 3 down lineman so that?s 8. That leaves 3 to roam. We have 5 OL and 4 receivers in most sets so that?s 9 blocking. I?ll take my chances with your dumbass defense and I?m fairly certain I?ll score. I?m glad you?re refusing to be part of stupidity since you?ve contributed to it the entire thread to this point.

Nm

Quaoarsking
11-06-2021, 10:40 PM

We literally have the dumbest fan base. So is the plan to throw a Hail Mary and hope for the best?

22 yards, not 33. I don't know how it's possible to know it was a ~40 yard field goal but also think such a FG would be snapped from the 33 yard line.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2021, 10:41 PM
A 22-yard TD would probably be around a 20% chance to convert, given the circumstances. Maybe a little less.

The field goal there with McCord was ... maybe 1-of-3? And even if we get it, we go to Overtime where we're probably less than 50-50 to win, considering how we don't have a reliable kicker.

So, going for the TD from the 22 probably gives us a better chance to win the game than kicking with McCord. Kicking with Ruiz - if he's both physically and mentally healthy - may give us a higher chance, but I'm guess he was not at 100% or he would've been out there.

Dak Holliday
11-06-2021, 10:51 PM
A 22-yard TD would probably be around a 20% chance to convert, given the circumstances. Maybe a little less.

The field goal there with McCord was ... maybe 1-of-3? And even if we get it, we go to Overtime where we're probably less than 50-50 to win, considering how we don't have a reliable kicker.

So, going for the TD from the 22 probably gives us a better chance to win the game than kicking with McCord. Kicking with Ruiz - if he's both physically and mentally healthy - may give us a higher chance, but I'm guess he was not at 100% or he would've been out there.

TD attempt < 20%
FG by your estimate 33%
OT win 50%
But going for it gives us the best chance? Your calculations aren?t used for bridges and such, huh?

MetEdDawg
11-06-2021, 10:52 PM
22 yards, not 33. I don't know how it's possible to know it was a ~40 yard field goal but also think such a FG would be snapped from the 33 yard line.

My bad. Brain is a little fuzzy. I'm in the hospital and my daughter was born earlier this morning. I was thinking from a different spot.

Anyone that says chances of scoring a TD from the 23 yard line is better than making a 40 yard FG is living in crazy town. 20% of getting 23 yards in one try is absurd.

I'll say it again. It's no surprise certain people in this board don't or have never coached. When you say things like this it's obvious why you don't coach. I still can't believe multiple people in this fan base support a 23 yard pass attempt to win a game over a 40 yard FG to tie a game.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2021, 10:55 PM
TD attempt < 20%
FG by your estimate 33%
OT win 50%
But going for it gives us the best chance? Your calculations aren?t used for bridges and such, huh?

Well, 33% * 50% = 16.5%, which is less than 20%, so...

Dak Holliday
11-06-2021, 10:58 PM
Well, 33% * 50% = 16.5%, which is less than 20%, so...

They?re independent of one another. It?s 33% chance of getting to a 50% chance vs a less than 20% chance.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2021, 10:58 PM
My bad. Brain is a little fuzzy. I'm in the hospital and my daughter was born earlier this morning. I was thinking from a different spot.

Anyone that says chances of scoring a TD from the 23 yard line is better than making a 40 yard FG is living in crazy town. 20% of getting 23 yards in one try is absurd.

I'll say it again. It's no surprise certain people in this board don't or have never coached. When you say things like this it's obvious why you don't coach. I still can't believe multiple people in this fan base support a 23 yard pass attempt to win a game over a 40 yard FG to tie a game.

Luckily no one is saying that. Because McCord's kick would have only tied the game, we would have had to have won in overtime even if he'd made it.

You can use whatever numbers you want, but McCord has to be twice as likely to make the kick there (probably a little more than twice as likely, since playing OT on the road without a reliable kicker is not really a coinflip) than we are to hit the 22-yard TD for the FG to be the right call.

So if you think the kicker was 40% to make it, we would need to be 20% to hit the TD (or a little less) to justify keeping the offense on the field. If the kicker is 80% to make it, you kick unless you have a 40% chance of the TD. Insert whatever numbers you want, but I don't the making the FG was twice as likely.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2021, 11:00 PM
They?re independent of one another. It?s 33% chance of getting to a 50% chance vs a less than 20% chance.

To get the probability of winning the game after kicking, you multiply the probability of making the kick by the probability of winning in OT.

Plug in whatever numbers you want, but under the numbers we're discussing, it would be 16.5%. If we don't have a 16.5% chance of scoring the TD, try the kick. If we do, try a pass.

Or plug in better estimates that aren't just made up and run the calculation that way.

memsu06
11-06-2021, 11:03 PM
It would have been a perfect time for a fake field goal attempt.

I say we work on faking field goals for the remaining games.

Matt3467
11-06-2021, 11:25 PM
I can't believe this is an actual discussion.

Todd4State
11-06-2021, 11:27 PM

Leach made the correct call based on analytics.

But I can understand why people would think that a Hail Mary wouldn't be a bad option. Our kickers are THAT bad.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2021, 11:29 PM
I can't believe this is an actual discussion.

It doesn't help that most people don't seem to realize
We were only 22 yards away from the TD, so there wouldn't be any "Hail Mary"-type play.
Even if we'd made the field goal, we only go to Overtime. It's not a question of which is more likely to be successful on a one-play basis, but which is more likely to lead us to a win.

Matt3467
11-07-2021, 12:00 AM
It doesn't help that most people don't seem to realize
We were only 22 yards away from the TD, so there wouldn't be any "Hail Mary"-type play.
Even if we'd made the field goal, we only go to Overtime. It's not a question of which is more likely to be successful on a one-play basis, but which is more likely to lead us to a win.

Maybe it's not a typical Hail Mary but it wouldn't be defended any different. We would absolutely have to score there so 8-9 defensive players would've been at/or behind the goal line when the pass is in the air. If Leach goes for the TD there and misses I can guarantee that this board would still be in a melt down instead it would be "Leach is an idiot for not going for the FG, etc, etc."

It's no question our kickers suck but regardless they're expected to be able to make those kicks. It's unreal that an SEC school has almost the worst fg kicking in college football. McCord's long this year was 39yds this was a 40yd kick. Ruiz had already shown he couldn't perform so I don't have an issue with Leach trying McCord. Again the meltdown would still be going on if Ruiz had attempted and missed and some would probably even say "why not let McCord try?" You can't win for losing with some of these people.

*Apparently Ruiz wasn't too bothered by missing two kicks, costing us the game, and being benched on the last kick as he was all smiles and laughs on the sideline. That gave me the impression he didn't care one bit.

Todd4State
11-07-2021, 12:17 AM
Maybe it's not a typical Hail Mary but it wouldn't be defended any different. We would absolutely have to score there so 8-9 defensive players would've been at/or behind the goal line when the pass is in the air. If Leach goes for the TD there and misses I can guarantee that this board would still be in a melt down instead it would be "Leach is an idiot for not going for the FG, etc, etc."

It's no question our kickers suck but regardless they're expected to be able to make those kicks. It's unreal that an SEC school has almost the worst fg kicking in college football. McCord's long this year was 39yds this was a 40yd kick. Ruiz had already shown he couldn't perform so I don't have an issue with Leach trying McCord. Again the meltdown would still be going on if Ruiz had attempted and missed and some would probably even say "why not let McCord try?" You can't win for losing with some of these people.

*Apparently Ruiz wasn't too bothered by missing two kicks, costing us the game, and being benched on the last kick as he was all smiles and laughs on the sideline. That gave me the impression he didn't care one bit.

You're correct about all of this.

I did wonder if Leach made his comment because of how some of our kickers have been acting on the sideline. I sit behind the kickers at our games and most of the time they're cutting up and goofing off. Tucker Day being the biggest offender. I wouldn't be surprised if Leach has had enough of that along with their poor performances.

defiantdog
11-07-2021, 03:53 AM
The kicker didn?t 17 this up - it was a bad snap/hold
And the holder is the one who can't punt it but 20 yards..... Dude must be point shaving us.

DAWG1903
11-07-2021, 08:36 AM

This is how I see it as well.....Leach was in a no win situation with fans. But, yes, you kick the field goal.

tcdog70
11-07-2021, 10:41 AM
No but Ruiz should have kicked

Mc Cord kicked our last 2 extra points

PikeDawg15
11-07-2021, 10:59 AM
in retrospect of course because we missed it ( missed it very badly)

The simple fact is that an SEC school should have at least 2 kickers on the roster than can consistently make field goals that are within 40 yards

Outside of the AFC and NFC we are the best league

The kicker at Oregon State yesterday made a kick that was a 60 yarder that woulda been good from over 70 yards...

I think our problem is that in the south nobody gives a shit about soccer so we don't have many great kickers available here.

We gotta go grab one from the transfer portal or just simply recruit one... Leach should still have some west coast connections ( possibly texas too)

If that game was played in starkville, we win by 2 touchdowns

17 em all

BayouDawg
11-07-2021, 10:59 AM
Mc Cord kicked our last 2 extra points

Yep. Ruiz must have told the coaches he wasnt healthy. Ive never seen a kicker so injury prone