PDA

View Full Version : T.D. Moton - odd situation

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-18-2013, 08:11 AM
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2013/11/2015_defensive_tackle_td_moton_2.html?utm_source=d lvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

On Saturday, rumors starting flying around about a commitment from 2015 Woodlawn defensive tackle T.D. Moton to Mississippi State while on a visit. It was not reported here due to conflicting information surrounding the situation. Now that things have cleared up a little, here's where Moton stands with his recruitment.

Moton, believed to be an LSU lean, went to Starkville, Miss., in LSU garb with no intentions of ending his recruitment, but after getting caught up in the moment, Moton told Mississippi State coaches David Turner and John Hevesy that he indeed was ready to commit and they accepted.

While that may seem routine, it got even more interesting from there.

The commitment didn't sit well with people around Moton due to him straying from the plan set in place as to how his recruitment would be handled. His commitment was a shock to all and he has yet to notify Mississippi State coaches of any changes. As it stands now, it would be hard be hard to call him anything other than a commitment until he goes through all the proper channels of decommitting, if in fact that is what he plans on doing. Then again, it's hard calling him a commitment when it does not appear he wants to be.

starkvegasdawg
11-18-2013, 08:15 AM
So in other words its a typical early MSU verbal commitment from a highly sought after player. He may or may not actually want to come here but momma an 'em saying hayul naw. We gots ta get paid with you goin' to college and that ain't in Starkvegas.

Coach34
11-18-2013, 08:17 AM
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2013/11/2015_defensive_tackle_td_moton_2.html?utm_source=d lvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The commitment didn't sit well with people around Moton due to him straying from the plan set in place as to how his recruitment would be handled..

That's all you need to know right there

FlabLoser
11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Notice something else here, people. Would the Clarion Ledger ever print words like that? Would a CL headline ever say that a recruit's commitment is "surrounded in controversy"? Would the CL ever say what C34 quoted?

LSU media is all in. I'm not saying NOLA.com cares if LSU wins. I'm saying NOLA.com, and probably other media around LSU, knows its place. Their media knows their place because LSU knows how to handle media. They don't let media railroad them.

Its been discussed here over and over how media can be controlled. We make no effort. Yet another strike on Scott Stricklin.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Notice something else here, people. Would the Clarion Ledger ever print words like that? Would a CL headline ever say that a recruit's commitment is "surrounded in controversy"? Would the CL ever say what C34 quoted?

LSU media is all in. I'm not saying NOLA.com cares if LSU wins. I'm saying NOLA.com, and probably other media around LSU, knows its place. Their media knows their place because LSU knows how to handle media. They don't let media railroad them.

Its been discussed here over and over how media can be controlled. We make no effort. Yet another strike on Scott Stricklin.

Ok....

I just hope Mullen is starting to play the recruiting game and get in on players like Moton.

smootness
11-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Then again, it's hard calling him a commitment when it does not appear he wants to be.

And this is where they threw in the subtle statement that, if you weren't paying attention, would seem to be fact. So after all that, which is a reasonable article in general, you come away with only that last line, thinking Moton doesn't actually want to be committed to State.

But all the article said is that people close to him don't want him to be committed to State and that he himself hasn't made any changes, at least not officially.

There is no way in the world I'm going to hold out hope we actually sign him, I'll just be pleasantly surprised if we do. But this is the definition of a well-written article that subtly creates the narrative itself.

FlabLoser
11-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Ok....

I just hope Mullen is starting to play the recruiting game and get in on players like Moton.

No chance. Bracky has run off all the help.

EAVdog
11-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Our fan base expects everyone to do their job for them. The media is controlled by their customers, the fans. Somehow we sit back and expect our AD to just wave a magic wand and make everyone say nice things about us. Yet we have fans who pay money every month to services that undermine our program. LSU, Bama, Auburn, even Ole Miss fans don't take that crap. We not only take it but we pay for it.

Successful SEC programs have entire social networks built up to make the caoches and AD's jobs easier. The whole 'All In' aspect. Our fanbase is more like one giant circular firing squad.

stxdawg
11-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Why not just let the kid goes where he wants?!? Such a dirty business. I don't follow recruiting all that closely, but if we don't get this kid then you are na?ve to how big a role cheating plays in college football recruiting.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
247 just posted that Morton's grandmother gave her blessing and that he is committed to MSU...

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2013, 09:47 AM
247 just posted that Morton's grandmother gave her blessing and that he is committed to MSU...

Damn, this may be the fastest our boosters have ever worked. C34, did you make this happen?

EngineerDawg
11-18-2013, 11:13 AM
C34 deserves a bonus.. and a promotion.

Coach34
11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
C34 deserves a bonus.. and a promotion.

This is MY city

EngineerDawg
11-18-2013, 12:05 PM
This is MY city

http://youtu.be/SXp_Qws1fjE

Percho
11-18-2013, 12:28 PM
That's all you need to know right there

Yep, that line and the last one do not appear to correspond with one another.

hacker
11-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Sonny Shipp on the LSU 247 site is basically guaranteeing Moton is going to flip.

What a crazy 36 hours for the 4-star DT from Woodlawn HS in Shreveport.

As you know word leaked out on Saturday night that Moton committing to Mississippi State shortly after the Bulldogs' loss to Alabama.

I mentioned before that he was not committed and there was some miscommunication and twisting of words that led to the miscommunication. It was nothing intentional or with intent to be misleading, but more of a situation where in the madness that goes along with a locker room following a game there was just a lot going on.

Sources within the family tell us that Moton thought about committing, and in reality probably did, and relayed that message to Mississippi State assistant coaches John Hevesy and David Turner. From there it went to head coach Dan Mullen wanting to talk to Moton, but he was told that Moton was not committed by someone close to Moton, who then left to head home to get away from the situation.

The reason being that Moton’s grandmother, who TD lives and with and has raised him, was not there to be able to talk things over.

Moton spoke to his grandmother on Sunday and she gave him her blessing so expect a formal announcement today that he is committed to Mississippi State.

This recruitment is far from over according to sources very close to the situation, and we will continue to monitor this going forward

A lot of schools, including LSU, is taking a wait and see approach because he missed his entire junior season due to LHSAA transfer rules from when he transferred from Calvary Baptist to Woodlawn in August.

Moton knows that and this was like others have alluded to, getting caught up in the heat of the moment, and it spun way out of control. Let things settle down and you'll see what happenswink_msu

smootness
11-18-2013, 01:08 PM
I love when people say things like 'it spun way out of control'. First, who the heck is some random recruiting reporter to tell a kid when things spun out of control for him? Second, what was out of control? The fact that he committed to a school you didn't expect him to. Because based on the guy's own words, it sounds like, yes, he may have gotten 'caught up in the moment', but regardless, he was excited about State and decided he wanted to play there; then he talked it over with his grandmother and now is still committed to State? Sounds like it wasn't 'out of control', that he simply made a decision.

Funny, too, that someone would claim he got that caught up in the moment about a game we lost.

It's not as though our players were going nuts in the locker room after the game. I'm sure it was actually somewhat somber.

HancockCountyDog
11-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Sonny Shipp on the LSU 247 site is basically guaranteeing Moton is going to flip.

I have no idea if it was him, but there was a large guy wearing purple and gold in the section with the recruits. He stuck out like a sore thumb - would be too funny if that was him.

Im going to enjoy the commitment while we have it, **** them.

hacker
11-18-2013, 01:14 PM
I have no idea if it was him, but there was a large guy wearing purple and gold in the section with the recruits. He stuck out like a sore thumb - would be too funny if that was him.

It's said that he wore LSU gear to the game, so it probably was him.

smootness
11-18-2013, 01:14 PM

He apparently was wearing LSU stuff, so it probably was.

RougeDawg
11-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Could it be that a recrut saw us play a Bama team closer than LSU? The same recrut that saw LSU lose to the bears? Could it be he sees a downward trend in BR, that will only continue to drop when Mett leaves? Without Mett, this years LSU team is 8-4 at best. With a healthy team and a couple breaks, we are a 7-5 team with a majority of the impact players returning in 2014 and beyond. Can he not see this and make an educated decision on his commitment? Damn the opposing fans arrogance pisses me off. **** them. I can see them losin to A&M this week.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I think it is funny that any recruiting analyst can "guarantee" that a recruit will flip, but, in any event, whether he flips or not, it is a great sign that we are at very least in the game with this guy.

Bothrops
11-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Just forget about early verbals. Lsu won't let him sign with us, we all know how this ends. This kid from Yazoo is much more likely to stick with us.

hacker
11-18-2013, 06:14 PM
So here's what he told Paul:

"I was talking to Coach (John) Hevesy and with the Dline coach (David Turner) and I told them I was ready to commit," said the 6-foot-4 and 310-pound Moton. "They said they wanted me as part of this class and I said I was ready to commit to them and I did. I haven't seen all of their school yet was what I saw Saturday was good enough for me. Their coaches were real happy and Coach (Dan) Mullen and Coach Turner and Coach Hevesy all said they were glad to have me as part of that (2015) class. They said I was one of their best recruits in that class, too."

and apparently he likes Hevesy a lot, imagine that. FIRE HEVESY NOW NOBODY LIKES HIM HE'S A YANKEE**

"I just liked the whole game and the atmosphere of the Bulldogs' fan base," said Moton. "I like the Dline and they did very good. I wasn't surprised either because they are SEC guys, too, and should be playing like that. I plan to get back there as soon as I can and it will probably be in a couple of weeks. It's a great atmosphere there and everybody was real nice to me and the fans knew who I was. All of that was a lot of fun."

Moton added his relationship with Hevesy and Turner was also a good factor, and likes how the Bulldogs are getting production from true freshmen this season, particularly Chris Jones.

"I like both coaches and both are good guys," said Moton. "I look forward to playing for them one day. I think I can make an immediate impact as a freshman and come in and help their Dline. And (Jones) is real good and I expect to earn the same opportunity to play like that."