PDA

View Full Version : Articles saying Leach talking to Texas Tech?

Ganncakes
11-03-2021, 12:23 PM
Long time lurker, first time post. I'm seeing articles online about Leach talking to Texas Tech in their coaching search. Does anyone with inside program info know if any of that is legit, or just the media looking for clicks?

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article255472671.html
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-college-football-coaching-search-Mike-Leach-Art-Briles-Sonny-Cumbie-Henry-Colombi-Donovan-Smith-174406965/

QuadrupleOption
11-03-2021, 12:30 PM
Long time lurker, first time post. I'm seeing articles online about Leach talking to Texas Tech in their coaching search. Does anyone with inside program info know if any of that is legit, or just the media looking for clicks?

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article255472671.html
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-college-football-coaching-search-Mike-Leach-Art-Briles-Sonny-Cumbie-Henry-Colombi-Donovan-Smith-174406965/

Tech stiffed him out of millions of dollars when they fired him on a bunch of trumped-up BS charges and then claimed immunity from prosecution because they are a state government agency.

I can?t imagine him being stupid enough to willingly walk back into that again.

Coach34
11-03-2021, 12:32 PM
That would be more surprising than us hiring Howland after Rick Ray

TrapGame
11-03-2021, 12:38 PM
Leach wanted back in the SEC. He's here. He ain't going back to Tech.

Nice try. Shouldn't you be more worried about Liberty this weekend and where Lane might go after this season?

QuadrupleOption
11-03-2021, 12:40 PM
Just read the actual article- they aren?t talking to Leach. It was a hypothetical asked of a bunch of writers about whether they?d rather have Leach or Art Briles as the next coach.

They all picked Leach because they aren?t brain-dead.

sleepy dawg
11-03-2021, 12:50 PM
I'm not going to be surprised if he's not our head coach by the end of the season. I will be surprised if he goes to Texas Tech.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2021, 12:50 PM
Just read the actual article- they aren?t talking to Leach. It was a hypothetical asked of a bunch of writers about whether they?d rather have Leach or Art Briles as the next coach.

Yeah this. Not one mention in there of Leach talking to tech. All hypothetical from writers, geez

PikeDawg15
11-03-2021, 12:52 PM

I guess we will just have to hire hugh freeze after his big this saturday

TrapGame
11-03-2021, 12:54 PM
Yeah this. Not one mention in there of Leach talking to tech. All hypothetical from writers, geez

Leach could have gone back to Tech before now if he wanted. They burned a bridge - the size of the Golden Gate - with him.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2021, 12:57 PM
I honestly believe Leach will retire when he's done here. Now how long that it is from now who knows. Could be 2 years could be 10 years.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-03-2021, 12:58 PM
I'm not going to be surprised if he's not our head coach by the end of the season. I will be surprised if he goes to Texas Tech.

Where else would he go?

Tater
11-03-2021, 01:05 PM
The Star Telegram one is weird and actually mentions "sources".

The only way that would be on the table is if they kissed the ring AND he is unvaxxed. That's literally it. I don't see either happening.

basedog
11-03-2021, 01:26 PM
Wasn't there a lawsuit with Leach and TT? I can't imagine Leach saying he was wrong and he is sorry, LOL

MSU 1984
11-03-2021, 01:28 PM
Wasn't there a lawsuit with Leach and TT? I can't imagine Leach saying he was wrong and he is sorry, LOL

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/09/15/college-football-mike-leach-ready-fight-texas-tech-until-he-dies/3472666001/

RougeDawg
11-03-2021, 01:29 PM
Yancy? Is that you? How are things now that your Library glory hole got taken away from you?

HoopsDawg
11-03-2021, 01:39 PM

There is no upward move that Leach can make. I can't think of many lateral moves that he could make.

Catfish
11-03-2021, 01:44 PM
There is no upward move that Leach can make. I can't think of many lateral moves that he could make.

Your dislike for Leach is getting old. You're also full of **** !

Cooterpoot
11-03-2021, 01:47 PM
Wooo! I laughed hard! Texas Tech has a better shot at Nick Saban than Leach.

chef dixon
11-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Where else would he go?

Maybe booted due to vaccine mandate is what he is referring to?

Ganncakes
11-03-2021, 01:51 PM
I'm a lifelong State fan, graduated from State, and still go to most home games. Grew up going to the Maine game and 3-2 Auburn game. I originally clicked in to the article for a laugh, and was just a little blindsided by "According to sources familiar with the coaching search, there have been back channel conversations with the former Texas Tech head coach who currently is the head coach at Mississippi State." I just knew from experience that some of y'all have inside info on the team.

Everything y'all said makes sense, though. Ready to wreck Arkansas this weekend!

Ifyouonlyknew
11-03-2021, 01:56 PM
Your dislike for Leach is getting old. You're also full of **** !

He's not wrong

Tater
11-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Maybe booted due to vaccine mandate is what he is referring to?

He was in Dubai in May. Fairly certain you had to be vaxxed for international travel back then

TrapGame
11-03-2021, 02:38 PM
I'm a lifelong State fan, graduated from State, and still go to most home games. Grew up going to the Maine game and 3-2 Auburn game. I originally clicked in to the article for a laugh, and was just a little blindsided by "According to sources familiar with the coaching search, there have been back channel conversations with the former Texas Tech head coach who currently is the head coach at Mississippi State." I just knew from experience that some of y'all have inside info on the team.

Everything y'all said makes sense, though. Ready to wreck Arkansas this weekend!

Everything I have read says Tech is going after Sonny Dykes with a passion. This is the only time I've seen Leach's name mentioned.

There are no back channel conversations other than Leach telling them to **** off.

Coach34
11-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Where else would he go?

Florida Keys is his next destination.

Dawgology
11-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Gee. State gets some big wins and gets ranked 17th and the Ole Miss troglodytes get worried and run to the MSU board to post BS articles. Hahahaahah. It?s so transparent it?s hilarious.

Dawgology
11-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Florida Keys is his next destination.

This. He’s actually told several major donors that. Doesn’t seem that would be a way to haggle a raise.

Ganncakes
11-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Nothing Ole Miss about me, friend. Parents went to State before me. I went 2010-2014. I bleed maroon about as much as humanly possible.

Maverick91
11-03-2021, 03:21 PM
I love Leach and I want him to succeed here greatly, but, I think the absolute best place for him ANYWHERE would be either FAU or Hawaii they would let him do whatever he wanted and they wouldn't care how many 5 or 7 win seasons he had doing it. Dude would get his beach access everyday and pretty good talent to run the Air Raid.

BrunswickDawg
11-03-2021, 03:22 PM
Nothing Ole Miss about me, friend. Parents went to State before me. I went 2010-2014. I bleed maroon about as much as humanly possible.

That's what all the OM trolls claim.

OLJWales
11-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Vomiting garbage out onto the streets 1.55 years in is the work of a Soulless BIatch.

PikeDawg15
11-03-2021, 03:28 PM
I love Leach and I want him to succeed here greatly, but, I think the absolute best place for him ANYWHERE would be either FAU or Hawaii they would let him do whatever he wanted and they wouldn't care how many 5 or 7 win seasons he had doing it. Dude would get his beach access everyday and pretty good talent to run the Air Raid.

He has stated it many times before. He coulda went 6-6 at Washington state and flipped off the university president every morning and woulda got a raise...

He came to the sec to prove that the air raid works in the sec and he has never in his life had the talent that a school like msu can bring in by being in the sec..

If you go look at his texas tech recruiting classes... the highest class they had was 39th THE YEAR THEY BEAT TEXAS AND WON 11 GAMES

Texas techs recruiting classes now are in the 60's and 70's on average.. MSU is around 25 always but has shown it can be right on the outside of the top 15 ( can do that regularly if we get a elite recruiter in here with leach)

Unless gets fired or a possible offer from one of the power 5 Florida schools, I do not see leach leaving anytime soon.

Especially now if in fact this offense has found itself

msudawg1200
11-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Give me Things That Ole Miss Trolls Say for $1000 Alex

Ganncakes
11-03-2021, 03:40 PM
https://giphy.com/gifs/rocketjump-rjfilmschool-3o7btSHUTdraHEsx0Y

This feels like a good old fashioned Mexican standoff.

OLJWales
11-03-2021, 03:52 PM
The gross negligence of professionalism and journalistic integrity is beyond the pale and I'm not convinced another school would be treated in this fashion.

"When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty."

Thomas Jefferson.

Extendedcab
11-03-2021, 04:05 PM
The gross negligence of professionalism and journalistic integrity is beyond the pale and I'm not convinced another school would be treated in this fashion.

Thomas Jefferson.

^^^ I like this. Nice!

IMissJack
11-03-2021, 04:12 PM
Have you ever been to west Texas? There's a reason it is difficult to recruit to Tech. Lubbock is not that bad of a town, but not much else is out there. I cannot see Leach ever returning after the way he left there.

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2021, 04:17 PM

LOL, first post.

QuadrupleOption
11-03-2021, 04:23 PM

My bad - I saw this links on my phone and thought it was one link and not two. Just read the one discussing that TT has reached out to Leach. That's -- weird. I suppose anything can happen and if they offered him enough money it could definitely work for them, but the same guy who screwed him over is still there and I cannot imagine him willingly working for someone like that again.

Matt3467
11-03-2021, 04:24 PM
Interesting that a few weeks ago a vaxx mandate was issued that would affect Leach and now we're hearing about him *possibly* leaving. I know Texas Tech is a weird choice due to the history but it's a weird time and also it's Texas which I'm sure has no such mandate. The only thing that makes all this crazy is if in fact he is vaccinated but so far nobody really seems to know for sure. If he leaves because of that it's understandable. I figured after the mandate if he was unvaxxed he'd be leaving anyway.

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2021, 04:26 PM
delete

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Interesting that a few weeks ago a vaxx mandate was issued that would affect Leach and now we're hearing about him *possibly* leaving. I know Texas Tech is a weird choice due to the history but it's a weird time and also it's Texas which I'm sure has no such mandate. The only thing that makes all this crazy is if in fact he is vaccinated but so far nobody really seems to know for sure. If he leaves because of that it's understandable. I figured after the mandate if he was unvaxxed he'd be leaving anyway.

It's a federal mandate. If Tech has any federal contracts it doesn't matter what Texas has.

Matt3467
11-03-2021, 04:29 PM
delete

That's debatable. The school isn't under the federal govt. They have federal contracts that somehow would be in danger but the mandate affecting Leach isn't a federal mandate.

Maverick91
11-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Vomiting garbage out onto the streets 1.55 years in is the work of a Soulless BIatch.

Please don't ever change!

Ari Gold
11-03-2021, 04:38 PM
Leach to Texas Tech.. and his RB coach will be Craig James

Catfish
11-03-2021, 04:41 PM

Post of the week right here!!

Ganncakes
11-03-2021, 04:53 PM
LOL, first post.

I actually realized shortly after posting that it was my 2nd post. My first was back when we hired CML.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?79412-Mike-Leach-Speech-After-Baylor-Game&p=1218418

PGHBulldogBG
11-03-2021, 05:29 PM
I don?t think it?s unreasonable to think if Leach has a 7 or 8 win season this year and then pulls off a 9 or 10 win season next year that he wouldn?t leave if a blue blood came calling. He isn?t that old it?s not like he?s over 65 and he could still probably coach 10 years maybe more if he wanted and his health was good. That being said I don?t think he will look actively the way Dan did and the way Lane is doing. At the same time he may be context here for awhile if Cohen and company treat him well and let him do his thing.

Going back to TTU would be one of the most shocking things and would be extremely confusing. He is still owed money by TTU and had a major lawsuit. Of all places it would make no sense. I know Dan was constantly shopping but this seems more like a knee jerk reaction by the media seeing our #17 ranking and thinking if any coach gets us that high they will want to leave.

BrunswickDawg
11-03-2021, 05:35 PM

CJK5H

was21
11-03-2021, 06:11 PM
In other words, he's going to retire? State job is definitely his last rodeo.

TNDawg35
11-03-2021, 07:28 PM

It’s RICK JAMES bitch…

FISHDAWG
11-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Leach wanted back in the SEC. He's here. He ain't going back to Tech.

Nice try. Shouldn't you be more worried about Liberty this weekend and where Lane might go after this season?

My thoughts exactly

Dawgology
11-03-2021, 08:07 PM

BIG state fan but your first post is about our football coach being recruited by another team in middle of a season on the upswing after we were voted #17 in the BCS. Get out of here. Lol

StarkVegasSteve
11-03-2021, 09:00 PM
Some of you have apparently forgotten that Leach is still actively suing Texas Tech. Might make it kind of odd during contract negotiations.

Cooterpoot
11-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Trolls working hard everywhere. They don't like the momentum.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2021, 09:26 PM
Trolls working hard everywhere. They don't like the momentum.

Yep.

Maverick91
11-03-2021, 09:57 PM
It’s RICK JAMES bitch…

lol Lone Survivor

bobtail bob
11-03-2021, 10:02 PM
I actually realized shortly after posting that it was my 2nd post. My first was back when we hired CML.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?79412-Mike-Leach-Speech-After-Baylor-Game&p=1218418

So you playing the long game .
You sure are preoccupied with proving you are a Bulldog.

The man aint going anywhere but you already know that. This isnt the rant Mr Blackbear

TheLostDawg
11-03-2021, 10:56 PM
I don?t think it?s unreasonable to think if Leach has a 7 or 8 win season this year and then pulls off a 9 or 10 win season next year that he wouldn?t leave if a blue blood came calling. He isn?t that old it?s not like he?s over 65 and he could still probably coach 10 years maybe more if he wanted and his health was good. That being said I don?t think he will look actively the way Dan did and the way Lane is doing. At the same time he may be context here for awhile if Cohen and company treat him well and let him do his thing.

Going back to TTU would be one of the most shocking things and would be extremely confusing. He is still owed money by TTU and had a major lawsuit. Of all places it would make no sense. I know Dan was constantly shopping but this seems more like a knee jerk reaction by the media seeing our #17 ranking and thinking if any coach gets us that high they will want to leave.

1 it takes too long for Leach to get his offense going. You said it yourself he'll likely only coach ten years.
He's not leaving for a school outside the SEC for one because the money all the schools are about to get with the new deal
Two Cohen has already shown he's willing to pay a coach to stay, look at the deal Mullen was going to get before he left.

Get ready. Ole Miss trolls are just going to stir the pot to try and hurt recruiting like they did when Dan was here. Doesn't help a lot of writers like ole Miss. On the flip side is they don't have much to stand on now because it's their coach that's going to be actively looking every year for the greener grass.

Leroy Jenkins
11-04-2021, 06:31 AM
Tech? Nah.

Now, TCU would make me think, since they are private. I have zero concern about CML leaving.

Mullinz to MSU...

sleepy dawg
11-04-2021, 07:26 AM

Thomas Jefferson.

Thomas Jefferson never said that. That's just a made up internet quote.

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2021, 08:44 AM
That's debatable. The school isn't under the federal govt. They have federal contracts that somehow would be in danger but the mandate affecting Leach isn't a federal mandate.

Yes, it is a federal mandate. IHL responded to the federal mandate. If Texas Tech has federal contracts then they, like us, will have to comply or lose those contracts. There isn't a thing that Texas can do about that other than sue. They will lose because stuff like this has been done for decades. At least try to keep up with things.

OLJWales
11-04-2021, 09:06 AM
Thomas Jefferson never said that. That's just a made up internet quote.

Doesn't matter. He DID say rebellion is needed from time to time though. Verbatim or not, they are words of iron. Thanks for the history lesson.

starkvegasdawg
11-04-2021, 09:20 AM
So you playing the long game .
You sure are preoccupied with proving you are a Bulldog.

The man aint going anywhere but you already know that. This isnt the rant Mr Blackbear

Need an appearance by EliteDawg Enforcer. Somebody go poke him with a stick.

TNDawg35
11-04-2021, 10:16 AM
Funny how that #17 ranking and an offense that is clicking that is YOUNG is making the BlackBearSharks worried a bit. I have heard of several who are worried about why they will actually look like without Corrall and they don’t like it. Especially with Kiffin going for every 4th down…

TrapGame
11-04-2021, 10:42 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/williams-column-2-more-interviews-082124096.html

A source who speaks frequently with Leach is skeptical about the likelihood of a reunion.

When that person told Leach a few days ago he had been linked again to the Tech job, "He said, 'I wouldn't talk to them. They still owe me from 2009.' And so I wonder if (Tech) might approach him, but he's not interested until he gets paid. He wouldn't even think about coming back until they paid him what they owed him for 2009.

"And I think he's pretty happy there. He's got a wonderful house. He bought a nice house on a private lake with a dock, and it's not very far from the campus, and since he's had two good wins, he's probably pretty satisfied there.