PDA

View Full Version : Two rules situations I am not sure were correct from the UK game

BulldogBear
11-01-2021, 11:19 AM
1) The Fair Catch crap

I have read the NCAA rulebook on this in the last 30m. It clearly states that the only thing considered to be a valid fair catch signal MUST occur before the ball hits the ground and must be OBVIOUS (NCAA word not mine). The hand MUST go ABOVE the head and clearly WAVE SIDE TO SIDE...MORE THAN ONCE. He should wave like his life depends on it because it does. A signal given after the ball hits the ground is invalid and get this....automatically results in a 15 yard penalty, regardless of whatever else happens.

I can't remember if that was a punt or the KO after their last TD.

2) Player sitting out at start of the 4th quarter

I can't remember who it was and I haven't read the rulebook recently. We had a defender injured on the last play of the 3rd quarter. They made him leave the field and sit out the first play of the 4th. I was under the impression that this rule was in place to deter flopping, but that if there was any real stoppage of play, such a timeout or quarter change, they would not have to sit out as it was not an issue.

Maverick91
11-01-2021, 11:46 AM
Dude good find! That is such trash. I hope our athdep is doing something about this. We have got to stop being pushed around. Heck tell Leach that he can bring that crap up during his pressers in anyway he wants to. Be a great story and it would get the point across.

Coach34
11-01-2021, 11:54 AM
1) The Fair Catch crap

I have read the NCAA rulebook on this in the last 30m. It clearly states that the only thing considered to be a valid fair catch signal MUST occur before the ball hits the ground and must be OBVIOUS (NCAA word not mine). The hand MUST go ABOVE the head and clearly WAVE SIDE TO SIDE...MORE THAN ONCE. He should wave like his life depends on it because it does. A signal given after the ball hits the ground is invalid and get this....automatically results in a 15 yard penalty, regardless of whatever else happens.

I can't remember who it was and I haven't read the rulebook recently. We had a defender injured on the last play of the 3rd quarter. They made him leave the field and sit out the first play of the 4th. I was under the impression that this rule was in place to deter flopping, but that if there was any real stoppage of play, such a timeout or quarter change, they would not have to sit out as it was not an issue.

An injured player must leave the game for 1 play unless a time-out is called.

sleepy dawg
11-01-2021, 01:30 PM
1) The Fair Catch crap

It was the kickoff.

Another rule I was confused about was the targeting call. I thought you had to hit the head or neck area for it to be targeting. It seemed like we hit the dude in the hands or arms about chest level.

TrapGame
11-01-2021, 01:54 PM
It was the kickoff.

Another rule I was confused about was the targeting call. I thought you had to hit the head or neck area for it to be targeting. It seemed like we hit the dude in the hands or arms about chest level.

Not only that but they completely missed Woody getting targeted. Blatant as hell. UK defender lowered his head and hit Woody in the helmet as he was being tackled by another UK defender. I guess the replay guy in Birmingham was taking a leak when that happened.

Bass Chaser
11-01-2021, 02:08 PM
On rule #1, that's why we got the ball at the 10 instead of the 25. They deemed it an illegal fair catch.