PDA

View Full Version : Hope

Dak Holliday
10-31-2021, 02:05 PM
What we saw last night was the best game I?ve ever seen Leach call. It was powerful and we dictated the course of the game in every facet. What we saw was not the Mike Leach AirRaid, but the modified version that Briles ran at Baylor. Maybe, just maybe Leach has finally come to a realization. If so, we will be a formidable opponent. If not, then I will despise him more for giving me this game. He?s not ever changed in 20+ years, but after last night, here?s to hope.

PikeDawg15
10-31-2021, 02:39 PM
That was the air raid we saw last night.

The pass opens up the run and its just some more run plays than usual cause will adjusted before the snap.

Last night was more of texas tech leach than Washington state leach.

He also had better talent and running backs at tech compared to Washington state

TheLostDawg
10-31-2021, 02:47 PM

The pass opens up the run and its just some more run plays than usual cause will adjusted before the snap.

He also had better talent and running backs at tech compared to Washington state

This

KOdawg1
10-31-2021, 03:10 PM
Texas Tech Mike Leach can work in the SEC.

Wazzu Mike Leach cannot.

Last night was more TT like

R2Dawg
10-31-2021, 07:03 PM

Wazzu Mike Leach cannot.

Bottom line we must have balance to win like last night.

We have to make that part of our weekly game plan though not once a year. Rest of year has great interest now.

Jack Lambert
10-31-2021, 07:08 PM
I think the only mistake was the time at the end of the second half. He left them with too much time with us punting out of the end zone. He ran ball. With the way Rogers was passing he probably should have passed. KY had three time outs. Clock was going to stop anyways regardless if we caught the ball or dropped it.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2021, 07:55 PM
I think the only mistake was the time at the end of the second half. He left them with too much time with us punting out of the end zone. He ran ball. With the way Rogers was passing he probably should have passed. KY had three time outs. Clock was going to stop anyways regardless if we caught the ball or dropped it.

You make KY use those timeouts. You don't allow KY to have half a field with potentially 1 or 2 timeouts also. He played it right. KY just had a great punt that pinned us deep & negated any chance at us trying to score points.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2021, 08:05 PM
You make KY use those timeouts. You don't allow KY to have half a field with potentially 1 or 2 timeouts also. He played it right. KY just had a great punt that pinned us deep & negated any chance at us trying to score points.

Just wish Walley would've fair caught it and not let that punt roll. It worked out thankfully

sleepy dawg
11-01-2021, 09:46 AM

Wazzu Mike Leach cannot.

I posted this in another thread, but those differences are minimal. At TT he ran 31% of his plays. At WSU he ran 28%. In a 75 play game, that's 2 extra run plays at TT. Hard to believe 2 extra run plays a game will work in the SEC and 2 less won't.

TrapGame
11-01-2021, 09:57 AM
I posted this in another thread, but those differences are minimal. At TT he ran 31% of his plays. At WSU he ran 28%. In a 75 play game, that's 2 extra run plays at TT. Hard to believe 2 extra run plays a game will work in the SEC and 2 less won't.

True, but his backs at TT were way more talented than those at WS. When they ran it at TT they ran like Woody and Johnson.

BiscuitEater
11-01-2021, 10:03 AM
I think the only mistake was the time ... i

Except the confounding holding AND illegal procedure penalties!

They slow drives and kill momentum!

Prediction? Pain.
11-01-2021, 10:40 AM

I think you're right. Rush-heavy games, while obviously not the norm, aren't unprecedented for Leach. In four of his last five years at WSU, Leach had multiple games per season where they rushed 30+ times. Hell, just look at 2016, when WSU averaged 28 rushes and 120 yards rushing per game. They had six games that season where they rushed 30+ times, seven games where they gained 100+ yards rushing, and three games where they gained 200+ yards rushing. I haven't gone back and looked at Texas Tech's stats, but I'm guessing that you'll find more of the same scattered across his years there, too.

dawgday166
11-01-2021, 01:04 PM
I think you're right. Rush-heavy games, while obviously not the norm, aren't unprecedented for Leach. In four of his last five years at WSU, Leach had multiple games per season where they rushed 30+ times. Hell, just look at 2016, when WSU averaged 28 rushes and 120 yards rushing per game. They had six games that season where they rushed 30+ times, seven games where they gained 100+ yards rushing, and three games where they gained 200+ yards rushing. I haven't gone back and looked at Texas Tech's stats, but I'm guessing that you'll find more of the same scattered across his years there, too.

Good points Pain ... as usual. There's not a "set" percentage to ensure victory. It's about Will checking into what the D gives him. Run or Pass ... doesn't matter. Getting yards does.

KOdawg1
11-01-2021, 02:24 PM

It's not so much about the % than it is y/game

He had a more effective running game at TT. They averaged 94 rushing yards per game when he was there.

At WSU, he averaged about 75.

Saturday, we had 99.

deltadawg63
11-01-2021, 02:32 PM
10 yard line rather than letting them kill it at the 2. We were very fortunate on that series! I was very proud of the overall performance on Saturday night but the kicking game must improve alot...both decision making and execution. We don't have enough explosive plays on offense usually to overcome poor kicking game play and any turnovers on offense!

PikeDawg15
11-01-2021, 02:50 PM

He had a more effective running game at TT. They averaged 94 rushing yards per game when he was there.

Saturday, we had 99.

Pass opens up the run. Also, I love will rogers but when this offense gets a QB who can run and get 5-6 yards instead of just throwing it away.... this is going to be very very fun.

Will is solid for us now

sleepy dawg
11-01-2021, 03:14 PM

Saturday, we had 99.

Maybe I'm not sure what your point was, but I'm saying that the TT Mike Leach is the same as the WSU Mike Leach. He might've had a little more success in TT for whatever reasons, but the philosophy is the same.

TrapGame
11-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Maybe I'm not sure what your point was, but I'm saying that the TT Mike Leach is the same as the WSU Mike Leach. He might've had a little more success in TT for whatever reasons, but the philosophy is the same.

Yes. It's the same Leach at both schools but it's also a different caliber of player too. He had more talent at Tech than Wash State.

Dak Holliday
11-01-2021, 03:52 PM
This game is an outlier. An anomaly. Pick any stop in his career and you will struggle to find this much balance in run(35)/pass(39) plays in a game. I?m hoping that he is as smart as we are continually told that he is and he sees the benefit of doing so going forward vs his tremendously unbalanced traditional AirRaid approach of 25-30% run to 70-75% pass.

dawgday166
11-01-2021, 04:15 PM
Yes. It's the same Leach at both schools but it's also a different caliber of player too. He had more talent at Tech than Wash State.

As he should here. He mentioned that when he was hired. Lot of untapped speed in MS. A 3* in MS, Bama, and LA is better athletically than most other states. Just look at BMac, Preston Smith, etc. If only Mullen could've developed WRs like Leach does. Our WRs now don't drop passes and can get open. They're starting to block better too. They're starting to make good reads and Will is on same page with them more now too. They're fast and can catch. All except Heath and maybe Tulu are 3*s I believe .

I also noticed how our RBs are getting a juke or 2 in their repertoires to make people miss. Also showing more patience for the hole to open up and then exploding thru it. They been primarily North/South runners up till now.

I'm still a little on the cautious side tho cause I believe we could have a hiccup or 2 left in us the rest of the way. We still a ways from a mostly finished product, but definitely moving in the right direction.

Maverick91
11-01-2021, 04:20 PM
As he should here. He mentioned that when he was hired. Lot of untapped speed in MS. A 3* in MS, Bama, and LA is better athletically than most other states. Just look at BMac, Preston Smith, etc. If only Mullen could've developed WRs like Leach does. Our WRs now don't drop passes and can get open. They're starting to block better too. They're starting to make good reads and Will is on same page with them more now too. They're fast and can catch. All except Heath and maybe Tulu are 3*s I believe .

I also noticed how our RBs are getting a juke or 2 in their repertoires to make people miss. Also showing more patience for the hole to open up and then exploding thru it. They been primarily North/South runners up till now.

I'm still a little on the cautious side tho cause I believe we could have a hiccup or 2 left in us the rest of the way. We still a ways from a mostly finished product, but definitely moving in the right direction.

I noticed a lot of this as well. If we can do this against ARky this week, I believe we as a team have turned the corner on understanding how to play in Leach's system.

PikeDawg15
11-01-2021, 04:36 PM

I think we could hiccup somewhere but.... everything is lining up perfect for us.

Saturday vs a Arkansas team that has lost 3 straight sec games and is coming off a bye week. It will be at 3pm so it wont be a night game there.

Next week we get an Auburn team that will be coming off a massive game against texas a&m where bo nix will get beat up by that a&m defense and its at 11am, gonna be hard for them to get up for this one at 11am, well at least harder than a 6pm game.

We get ole miss .... possibly a super banged up ole miss in a night game at 6pm on a national stage.....

should be an interesting next few weeks.

Hot Rock
11-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Except the confounding holding AND illegal procedure penalties!

They slow drives and kill momentum!

You did see where all those illegal procedure penalties was where the KY defense was simulating our snaps. That is illegal. They ref's should have called a penalty on them about ten to 15 times and never did.

Even the announcers talked about it during the game how if it was really happening there was no excuse for the refs not calling a penalty. If it's loud enough to be heard by hour OL then it's loud enough for the ref to hear as well.

dawgday166
11-01-2021, 04:59 PM
I noticed a lot of this as well. If we can do this against ARky this week, I believe we as a team have turned the corner on understanding how to play in Leach's system.

I think we could hiccup somewhere but.... everything is lining up perfect for us.

Saturday vs a Arkansas team that has lost 3 straight sec games and is coming off a bye week. It will be at 3pm so it wont be a night game there.

Next week we get an Auburn team that will be coming off a massive game against texas a&m where bo nix will get beat up by that a&m defense and its at 11am, gonna be hard for them to get up for this one at 11am, well at least harder than a 6pm game.

We get ole miss .... possibly a super banged up ole miss in a night game at 6pm on a national stage.....

should be an interesting next few weeks.

Good points y'all. I really like our chances at 7 wins, I like em pretty darn good to get to 8, and while I don't think we'll win 4 straight, it is in the realm of decent possibilities IMO. AU tho ... we're at their house. It is at 11:00 so that helps. AU is getting better and might can whip Bama if they keep going. Bama not that good this year.

Us and OM both ran into the "Oh shit we're playing Bama" mentality in about the 2nd qtrs of our games. Both of us kinda hung with them for about a qtr or a little longer. Not saying either of us had that much of a chance but both games should've been closer in scores I think.

PikeDawg15
11-01-2021, 05:34 PM
Good points y'all. I really like our chances at 7 wins, I like em pretty darn good to get to 8, and while I don't think we'll win 4 straight, it is in the realm of decent possibilities IMO. AU tho ... we're at their house. It is at 11:00 so that helps. AU is getting better and might can whip Bama if they keep going. Bama not that good this year.

Us and OM both ran into the "Oh shit we're playing Bama" mentality in about the 2nd qtrs of our games. Both of us kinda hung with them for about a qtr or a little longer. Not saying either of us had that much of a chance but both games should've been closer in scores I think.

I can see us walking away with a win against Arkansas, we can stop the run and if emerson can not get ejected this week, I think we can hold up in the secondary.

KJ jefferson is a lot better than Will Levis

Arkansas offense is way better than kentucky's offense

kentucky's defense is way better than arkansas's

I think if we can come out guns blazing at 11am against a sleeping auburn it'll give us a decent shot but , Its just so hard to win there

If we can get a hurt corral and get some hits on him..... boy oh boy....

But one game at a time... one game at a time

also, Arkansas has the worst twitter fans in the world.

dawgday166
11-01-2021, 05:46 PM
But one game at a time... one game at a time

also, Arkansas has the worst twitter fans in the world.

Agree on all of it but especially the one game at a time part.

Activated Alpha
11-01-2021, 06:24 PM
Has it been discussed on what Will was doing and why he kept saying I'm sorry, my bad when he scrambled and slid close to a 1st down? Thought he was looking at Leach saying, my bad for running and not throwing?

memsu06
11-01-2021, 08:58 PM
Some of you need to read up on the Air Raid.

Sure it has lots of passing but it doesn't have to.

It forces attacking defenses to back off. In response they drop 8 to defend the pass, but leave wide open spots for the running backs to run. When they get tired of the running backs getting 3-8 yards a carry they start bringing more pressure and we hit them with the pass. Repeat the cycle. It's death of 1000 cuts for a defense. In the 4th quarter they are tired of chasing our players all over the field.

Remember we sling the ball to anyone that's open. 12-13 different players get touches in a game. There's no specific target to hit on every play. You have to defend everyone. That's where Leach and him having his players catch tennis balls bare handed hundreds of times comes to play. We don't drop many passes now like we did under Mullen.

Leach isn't the one really calling the plays in the offense. He relies on the QB to make the correct decision based on what his reads are.

What we are seeing is Will is gaining more understanding of the offense and how to read defenses.

The future is bright in Starkville. Mike Leach has won everywhere he's been and in places that aren't recruiting hotbeds.

TheLostDawg
11-02-2021, 12:07 AM
Some of you need to read up on the Air Raid.

Sure it has lots of passing but it doesn't have to.

It forces attacking defenses to back off. In response they drop 8 to defend the pass, but leave wide open spots for the running backs to run. When they get tired of the running backs getting 3-8 yards a carry they start bringing more pressure and we hit them with the pass. Repeat the cycle. It's death of 1000 cuts for a defense. In the 4th quarter they are tired of chasing our players all over the field.

Remember we sling the ball to anyone that's open. 12-13 different players get touches in a game. There's no specific target to hit on every play. You have to defend everyone. That's where Leach and him having his players catch tennis balls bare handed hundreds of times comes to play. We don't drop many passes now like we did under Mullen.

Leach isn't the one really calling the plays in the offense. He relies on the QB to make the correct decision based on what his reads are.

What we are seeing is Will is gaining more understanding of the offense and how to read defenses.

The future is bright in Starkville. Mike Leach has won everywhere he's been and in places that aren't recruiting hotbeds.

Yes and y'all talk about running percentages. Keep in mind the toss runs are counted as passes