PDA

View Full Version : Johnson and Woody

preachermatt83
10-31-2021, 01:51 PM
Rewatched the game and I?ve got to say, they both played as well as I?ve ever seen them. Ran with ball in their hands with absolute authority!!

preachermatt83
10-31-2021, 01:53 PM
Woody always falls forward.

PikeDawg15
10-31-2021, 01:53 PM
Last night was how the air raid is suppose to work

I think we are more like texas tech than Washington state.

Texas tech had a lot of good running backs that would open up the pass for them.

Also I love will but... man when we get a QB that can run.... we are going to be a problem.... will is good for now though..... played a hell of a game last night

R2Dawg
10-31-2021, 02:12 PM
Last night was how the air raid is suppose to work

I think we are more like texas tech than Washington state.

Texas tech had a lot of good running backs that would open up the pass for them.

Also I love will but... man when we get a QB that can run.... we are going to be a problem.... will is good for now though..... played a hell of a game last night

Agree that is way a balanced O is supposed to look but that ain't the air raid. It got the name air raid because he throws it all the time like we've seen every game but this one. Also he don't want a running QB.

Do I agree with your take on the best O for us, sure but folks got to quit calling everything the air raid. If he adapts some concepts mixed with air raid concepts, Leach can be successful at MSU.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2021, 02:49 PM
Agree that is way a balanced O is supposed to look but that ain't the air raid. It got the name air raid because he throws it all the time like we've seen every game but this one. Also he don't want a running QB.

Do I agree with your take on the best O for us, sure but folks got to quit calling everything the air raid. If he adapts some concepts mixed with air raid concepts, Leach can be successful at MSU.

At Texas Tech, Leach teams ran about 25 times a game and threw 50. They had multiple seasons that they averaged 100 yards or more a game rushing the ball.

Last year we averaged 50 throws, but only 18 carries. This year we are averaging 55 throws and 21 carries. I bet as we hit this stretch run we will run closer to the 25 times. People keep pointing to Texas Tech and saying "he ran it more, he can run more here" are right. But it all revolves around the QB recognizing it and sticking with it when it does work. Some game it will work, some it won't.

R2Dawg
10-31-2021, 06:56 PM
At Texas Tech, Leach teams ran about 25 times a game and threw 50. They had multiple seasons that they averaged 100 yards or more a game rushing the ball.

Last year we averaged 50 throws, but only 18 carries. This year we are averaging 55 throws and 21 carries. I bet as we hit this stretch run we will run closer to the 25 times. People keep pointing to Texas Tech and saying "he ran it more, he can run more here" are right. But it all revolves around the QB recognizing it and sticking with it when it does work. Some game it will work, some it won't.

If Leach really wants to run it that much then it is real stupid what he did at our program. He came to a school that already knew how to run just needed to add the pass. He nuked a running program to pass only and suck till we figured it out and now he wants to run again?

Sorry I don't understand the logic.

I think the real answer is he don't want to run much as he has said but when pressed he says he is OK to run some. He built the air raid and rep on throwing it around 60+ times a game. He recruited Will for that too.

Todd4State
10-31-2021, 08:48 PM
If Leach really wants to run it that much then it is real stupid what he did at our program. He came to a school that already knew how to run just needed to add the pass. He nuked a running program to pass only and suck till we figured it out and now he wants to run again?

I think the real answer is he don't want to run much as he has said but when pressed he says he is OK to run some. He built the air raid and rep on throwing it around 60+ times a game. He recruited Will for that too.

So do you think Leach is mad about last night? I doubt it. And I highly doubt he puts a ton of stock into pass/run ratio.

Also we have two sophomore running backs. They're just coming into their own as players. Like Will but just not talked about as much. When we were running we weren't always running well at times. That's just the truth. It was often times blamed on something other than the players youth- like pass too much or lack of mobile QB. But the real reason is youth.

Todd4State
10-31-2021, 08:48 PM

Good information.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2021, 09:10 PM

Leach had only had 3 seasons where they averaged more than 55 attempts a game and only 1 averaged 60. So this "he likes to sling it 60 a game isn't born out by facts. Just like facts show his teams typically have run more then he has been running at MSU so far. He's even had multiple seasons where his teams have averaged over 100 yards a game rushing. We have been out of balance for typical Leach teams - as born out by past stats. Now, we seem to be adding that component as Will gets more and more ingrained in the offense. As he gets more comfortable with the reads we will start seeing more rushes and more productive runs.

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2021, 09:34 PM

Sometimes, building up to the passing attack and the process we needed to go through to function as a pass first team, may have required us basically saying we were NOT going to run it period for a while. By relying on the ?crutch? that is running the ball, it would have probably taken way way way longer to get to our passing attack.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-01-2021, 05:35 AM

How did he nuke the run? Kylin quit a third of the way into the season and all he had was two True Freshman running backs.

memsu06
11-01-2021, 05:48 AM

Has their ever been a QB that ran and completed 92% of his passes? I think Will did great and he did run when he needed to.

Maverick91
11-01-2021, 08:40 AM
I think this thread can be summed up in the fact that Leach has never played a true freshman, I think he needs the freshman to be able to read and know when to run the ball. Hopefully this has clicked with Rodgers now and we will see the more balanced attack from the TT years.

sleepy dawg
11-01-2021, 09:27 AM

At Texas Tech Leach ran the ball 31% of the time. At WSU he ran the ball 28% of the time.... So assuming 75 plays a game, that would be 23 runs to 52 passes at TT and 21 runs to 54 passes at WSU. Those numbers aren't different enough, even compared to what you say he's done here so far this year, to really say there was some big change in style of philosophy.

TrapGame
11-01-2021, 09:43 AM
https://wreckemred.com/2020/06/15/texas-tech-football-the-10-best-seasons-by-a-rb-in-air-raid-era/11/

Leach had a couple of studs at RB at Texas Tech. He didn't have that a Wash St.

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2021, 11:14 AM
At Texas Tech Leach ran the ball 31% of the time. At WSU he ran the ball 28% of the time.... So assuming 75 plays a game, that would be 23 runs to 52 passes at TT and 21 runs to 54 passes at WSU. Those numbers aren't different enough, even compared to what you say he's done here so far this year, to really say there was some big change in style of philosophy.

Yeah - the only change in philosophy is Will understanding the Offense better.
Interestingly, in Leach's first 2 years at Tech, they had 30 or more rushes in a game 10 times. They even ran the ball 39 times for 207 against NC State in '01.

R2Dawg
11-01-2021, 12:55 PM
So do you think Leach is mad about last night? I doubt it. And I highly doubt he puts a ton of stock into pass/run ratio.

Also we have two sophomore running backs. They're just coming into their own as players. Like Will but just not talked about as much. When we were running we weren't always running well at times. That's just the truth. It was often times blamed on something other than the players youth- like pass too much or lack of mobile QB. But the real reason is youth.

Where did I say Leach is mad? Makin stuff up.

R2Dawg
11-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Leach had only had 3 seasons where they averaged more than 55 attempts a game and only 1 averaged 60. So this "he likes to sling it 60 a game isn't born out by facts. Just like facts show his teams typically have run more then he has been running at MSU so far. He's even had multiple seasons where his teams have averaged over 100 yards a game rushing. We have been out of balance for typical Leach teams - as born out by past stats. Now, we seem to be adding that component as Will gets more and more ingrained in the offense. As he gets more comfortable with the reads we will start seeing more rushes and more productive runs.

Ok, sarcasm meter needs to be turned on. It is real simple, it is called air raid for a reason folks, not ground raid. Leach don't do 50/50 run pass or if he does it ain't air raid. What we did Sat wasn't pure air raid. Some of yall just want the air raid to work more than you want us to win just so you can push in fans face. Yall can't logically look at anything.

R2Dawg
11-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Has their ever been a QB that ran and completed 92% of his passes? I think Will did great and he did run when he needed to.

Never said there was. Will played great. he did run a few times when he needed too. You must have my post confused with someone else?

R2Dawg
11-01-2021, 01:03 PM
How did he nuke the run? Kylin quit a third of the way into the season and all he had was two True Freshman running backs.

We went 80% pass game that is how. Hill didn't run near as much either. We had OL that were run skilled and instantly went pass happy before we were ready when all along you need balance. Should have waited till we were ready to pass more. instead we quit running with running players and tried passing all the time without passing players. Pretty stupid looking to me.

TrapGame
11-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Ok, sarcasm meter needs to be turned on. It is real simple, it is called air raid for a reason folks, not ground raid. Leach don't do 50/50 run pass or if he does it ain't air raid. What we did Sat wasn't pure air raid. Some of yall just want the air raid to work more than you want us to win just so you can push in fans face. Yall can't logically look at anything.

People are trying to explain it to you but you refuse to listen. You CAN run the ball in the Air Raid. It just happens more in some games than others. Go look at his tenure at Texas Tech. That's where we are heading with better talent on both sides of the ball.

BB30
11-01-2021, 01:16 PM
We went 80% pass game that is how. Hill didn't run near as much either. We had OL that were run skilled and instantly went pass happy before we were ready when all along you need balance. Should have waited till we were ready to pass more. instead we quit running with running players and tried passing all the time without passing players. Pretty stupid looking to me.

Did you even watch our run blocking at all last year when we did run the ball. Our OL got blown up all season to the point that teams were able to control the run and pass game with 3 guys and on very rare occasion 4.

The air raid is designed to simply take what the defense gives you and make them pay when they get greedy. If you are going to be stubborn and rush 3 and we have the ability to take advantage of that on the ground we are going to. Problem last year was our OL was atrocious in both pass and run blocking. Don't know if it was getting used to the wider splits or what but we couldn't run block for sh** either last year.

Don't expect to see 30 runs a game moving forward as the D should have an adjustment for that now that we've shown we can do it successfully if we have too. If Arky comes out with the same gameplan KY had then yes, we'll run the ball more. If they make adjustments we won't. It's that simple.