PDA

View Full Version : Tulu Fair catch

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2021, 01:11 PM
He waved his hand, but he was signaling his blockers to 17n get going. There needs to be a standard signal of two hands waiving or something. There was zero indication he intended to take a fair catch. But Refs 17n suck.

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2021, 01:13 PM
On replay it definitely looked like he was just gaining balance. The ball already hi the turf at that point. Didn?t even know you can call a fair catch on a live ball.

TrapGame
10-31-2021, 01:34 PM
A fair catch signal should be tapping the top of the helmet. And that's it. I've seen guys holding up a hand to block the sun being called a fair catch when it was obvious they were looking for the ball.

basedog
10-31-2021, 01:42 PM
BS call by Ref I hate the reviews, way too many!

parabrave
10-31-2021, 02:24 PM
A fair catch signal should be tapping the top of the helmet. And that's it. I've seen guys holding up a hand to block the sun being called a fair catch when it was obvious they were looking for the ball.

It used to be the returner held up his arm high and waved it like his life depended on it, cause it did. When they went to the 2 yard rule and returners started doing the half wave then the refs started calling Fair Catch for any arm movement.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2021, 02:25 PM
Yeah the ball had already hit the ground. Nobody call for a fair catch after the ball hits the ground. Just a bs call

R2Dawg
10-31-2021, 02:30 PM
Interesting we have been screwed by two punt plays this year by refs. What is next?

Activated Alpha
10-31-2021, 02:31 PM
Also didn?t know it can be reviewed

BulldogBear
10-31-2021, 05:02 PM
Yeah the ball had already hit the ground. Nobody call for a fair catch after the ball hits the ground. Just a bs call
This^

Also didn?t know it can be reviewed
Only against MSU***

On replay it definitely looked like he was just gaining balance. The ball already hi the turf at that point. Didn?t even know you can call a fair catch on a live ball.
That's what I said. The movements were the natural arm movement of someone changing direction and momentum.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-31-2021, 05:13 PM
I need some further explanation of the rule.

I understand calling a fair catch on a punt and simply not fielding it. That ball when it hits the ground is not live.

On a kickoff when that ball hits the ground the returner can't simply leave it there right? The ball is live. AND if the receiving team cant just simply call a fair catch on a kickoff even when a ball has hit the ground, then why wouldn't the receiving team just do that on every onside kick that takes place?

WinningIsRelentless
10-31-2021, 05:24 PM
I get why they ruled he called a fair catch but everyone is missing that the ball should have been on the 25.

basedog
10-31-2021, 05:39 PM
I get why they ruled he called a fair catch but everyone is missing that the ball should have been on the 25.

A flag wasnt thrown and we were penalized. I don't understand why the Ref didn't blow his whistle for the play to be dead. But they didn't and when it got reviewed is when we got screwed.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2021, 05:55 PM

This also.

Maverick91
10-31-2021, 06:01 PM
A flag wasnt thrown and we were penalized. I don't understand why the Ref didn't blow his whistle for the play to be dead. But they didn't and when it got reviewed is when we got screwed.

I think there is a 15 yard penalty for advancing the ball after a fair catch.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2021, 06:02 PM
I think there is a 15 yard penalty for advancing the ball after a fair catch.

So is that another flag that you can throw after a review?

Commercecomet24
10-31-2021, 06:53 PM

The rule says if you call for a fair catch and try to advance it you get the ball at the spot you touched it.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-31-2021, 08:18 PM
Interesting we have been screwed by two punt plays this year by refs. What is next?

Three if you count the egregious block in the back that went for a TD in Q1 last night.

BulldogDX55
10-31-2021, 09:04 PM
Three if you count the egregious block in the back that went for a TD in Q1 last night.

There were like three BitBs around the play on that return, and when none were called mixed with that egregious targeting call I was ready to be angry all evening.

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2021, 09:36 PM
This was worse, it was a kickoff. We should have had it at the 25.