PDA

View Full Version : We should be ranked after this week.

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2021, 11:22 AM
Look, we are one terrible SEC officiating game, Memphis, and an LSU game we had two missed Fg away from being 1 loss.

We have handled NC State, aTm, and now Kentucky.

All top 15 and we should be there as well. Who else in the country has beat 3 top 15 and are not in the top 25? No one. That is who.

Either way, it doesn?t matter. We have two more ranked to play, Auburn and UM. Ark was ranked. We will see.

Quaoarsking
10-31-2021, 11:26 AM
I think we've earned it.

Unfortunately, many AP Poll voters don't pay close attention and resent having to fill out a ballot on Sunday after covering a game on Saturdays. They often "forget" to rank teams or just don't hear about games. I remember when we beat LSU in 2017 (they had been #8 and we had been unranked), a few voters just didn't hear about it and kept us unranked and them in the top 10, and they shrugged it off (or got defensive/angry) when people Tweeted at them asking about why they ranked it that way.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2021, 11:27 AM
I would rank us. Probably about 24/25. We've just had too many bad games to get much more than that. I expect we'll be right at the edge of the top 25. People don't realize we're 7-3 in our last 10 or that we've beaten 3 ranked teams. They see those losses to bad teams and a blow out to AL.

QuadrupleOption
10-31-2021, 11:29 AM
I think we've earned it.

Unfortunately, many AP Poll voters don't pay close attention and resent having to fill out a ballot on Sunday after covering a game on Saturdays. They often "forget" to rank teams or just don't hear about games. I remember when we beat LSU in 2017 (they had been #8 and we had been unranked), a few voters just didn't hear about it and kept us unranked and them in the top 10, and they shrugged it off (or got defensive/angry) when people Tweeted at them asking about why they ranked it that way.

The only people who matter now are the playoff committee. We DO have 3 top 15 wins and that has to make the difference. I don't think we'll be top 15 but given how crazy this year has been with top 25 teams getting shellacked weekly, I don't think that can be held against us too much.

TrapGame
10-31-2021, 11:31 AM
I think we should be ranked #25 but we won't be, not until we beat Arky. Beat Arky and we'll be ranked at #22.

Tater
10-31-2021, 11:31 AM
I think we've earned it.

And then ole gary smithers got butthurt every week ranking us lower than we should have been.

MetEdDawg
10-31-2021, 11:34 AM
I agree and said the same after last night.

However, after looking through a lot of the ballots that are posted publicly on social media, I haven't seen one with us ranked. So don't get your hopes up about us being ranked.

That being said, it looks like NC State may jump back in the Top 25 which means we would go into November with 3 Top 25 wins on our resume.

Take care of Arkansas and I think we probably jump in.

Tater
10-31-2021, 11:40 AM
Looking at the AP... Iowa State should drop out. Arkansas probably sneaks in. SMU may drop out and we could be the team that gets the other spot.

memsu06
10-31-2021, 12:22 PM
Coaches poll doesn't have us ranked. 3 wins over teams currently in the top 25. Oh, and they were solid wins.

This is some BS. Who else can say that right now?

Matt3467
10-31-2021, 12:33 PM
Coaches poll doesn't have us ranked. 3 wins over teams currently in the top 25. Oh, and they were solid wins.

Well, regardless of the calls, we lost to a terrible 4-4 Memphis team and it took a 4th quarter miracle to win at home vs a 2-6 LA Tech team. I don't blame those keeping us out of the polls. Win at ARK and then we're ranked for sure.

QuadrupleOption
10-31-2021, 12:51 PM
Well, regardless of the calls, we lost to a terrible 4-4 Memphis team and it took a 4th quarter miracle to win at home vs a 2-6 LA Tech team. I don't blame those keeping us out of the polls. Win at ARK and then we're ranked for sure.

The problem with this is that it gives no acknowledgement that a team can improve as the season goes on. I mean, unless you're Bama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, etc. We're a much better team now than we were the first few weeks of the season. We ARE a top 25 team and we've shown that on the field.

Hopefully the committee sees it the same way, rendering the coach's and AP polls moot.

smootness
10-31-2021, 01:13 PM
Pretending only wins matter, not losses, is asinine.

Quaoarsking
10-31-2021, 01:28 PM
#20 Houston
#21 Coastal Carolina
#22 Penn State
#23 SMU
#24 Louisiana
#25 Fresno State

I think our resume compares favorably with this group.

MoreCowbell
10-31-2021, 02:12 PM
That Memphis loss is going to kill us and take some shine off of this year. 6-2 with three top 25 wins is solid but that Memphis loss looks ugly. I hope that is not a recurring theme under Leach- head scratcher losses to crappy teams.

PikeDawg15
10-31-2021, 02:36 PM
I hope we arent ranked so the team comes out and has something to prove against the pigs

Dawgology
10-31-2021, 03:12 PM
We won’t be ranked because of the Memphis win. With that said I’m very interested in the first Playoff poll because I think the committee might put us in the 20-25 rank.

RocketDawg
10-31-2021, 03:13 PM

The Memphis game shouldn't even be considered in ranking.

memsu06
10-31-2021, 06:09 PM
That Memphis loss is going to kill us and take some shine off of this year. 6-2 with three top 25 wins is solid but that Memphis loss looks ugly. I hope that is not a recurring theme under Leach- head scratcher losses to crappy teams.

That loss has a huge astrict by it with the SEC admitting it's officials made a huge error.

We won that game without the bad officiating.

R2Dawg
10-31-2021, 07:10 PM
That loss has a huge astrict by it with the SEC admitting it's officials made a huge error.

Good point, of course if we should have played well enough that it didn't matter so there is that. We never should have lost to Memphis no matter what. The LSU loss at home is looking worse every week too.

As far as right now playing, there are probably not 25 better teams. We've beat 3 of them and would beat a bunch more if we played.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2021, 07:57 PM

We were losing when the bad officiating happened. No guarantee we would've won. We had a chance to kill the game in the 3rd qtr by just running the ball inside the 10 like we did last night. The refs shot us be we gave them the gun.

sleepy dawg
11-01-2021, 09:56 AM
The committee won't have us in the top 25 this week. We beat Arkansas, and we'll probably slip in. The only team currently ranked with 3 losses is Penn State, and they shouldn't be in either. We've got 3 good wins. 1 terrible loss and one okay loss.
2 wins that mean basically nothing and 1 loss that means basically nothing.

Just like in baseball, you can't lose to those weak ass teams. A really bad loss just hurts more than a good win for and team trying to be good.

I think we are playing as a top 25 team right now, but I don't think our full season resume says that we are.

Hot Rock
11-01-2021, 11:46 AM
That Memphis loss will keep State out the rankings. Keep winning and they will have no choice but to rank them.

Beat Arkansas dammit... Keep this thing rolling!!!

I really was not even considering having a ranked team this year. I was just hoping to get bowl eligible to get those extra practices. Now, I am hating that Memphis loss even more.

I am told to get used to it. Leach will lose some he isn't supposed to and win some. I may never get used to that part if it's true but I will love the wins!

PMDawg
11-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Look, we are one terrible SEC officiating game, Memphis, and an LSU game we had two missed Fg away from being 1 loss.

We have handled NC State, aTm, and now Kentucky.

All top 15 and we should be there as well. Who else in the country has beat 3 top 15 and are not in the top 25? No one. That is who.

Either way, it doesn?t matter. We have two more ranked to play, Auburn and UM. Ark was ranked. We will see.

We should have just taken care of business against a bad Memphis team. Yes, bad. I know a few guys kept talking about how great Memphis was, but they're 1-4 since beating us, and 1-3 in a G5 conference. Yes, the refs screwed us, but we had a huge lead and didn't finish them off. If we beat Arkansas, we'll be ranked. We probably have to go 3-1 to finish the season ranked. Arkansas and Ole Miss are our best shots to go along with our gimme game. We really need to win Saturday. Auburn is not unbeatable, but I think we match up worse against them than Arkansas.

R2Dawg
11-01-2021, 12:47 PM
The committee won't have us in the top 25 this week. We beat Arkansas, and we'll probably slip in. The only team currently ranked with 3 losses is Penn State, and they shouldn't be in either. We've got 3 good wins. 1 terrible loss and one okay loss.
2 wins that mean basically nothing and 1 loss that means basically nothing.

Just like in baseball, you can't lose to those weak ass teams. A really bad loss just hurts more than a good win for and team trying to be good.

I think we are playing as a top 25 team right now, but I don't think our full season resume says that we are.

You hit the nail on the head for those that can't discern a football season. The rankings are not based on your last game only. The whole season matters, but yes there are not 25 better teams than us right now but our resume still needs work. Beat Ark and we are in and Ark is out. Then the world starts to make sense again. I think UT make beat UK this week too.

Maverick91
11-01-2021, 02:26 PM
You hit the nail on the head for those that can't discern a football season. The rankings are not based on your last game only. The whole season matters, but yes there are not 25 better teams than us right now but our resume still needs work. Beat Ark and we are in and Ark is out. Then the world starts to make sense again. I think UT make beat UK this week too.

We need UK to win.