PDA

View Full Version : If we win Saturday, will you buy in?

confucius say
10-28-2021, 02:37 PM
I know many are still reluctant to fully support Leach. Will you buy in if we Saturday?

Indndawg
10-28-2021, 02:47 PM
I know many are still reluctant to fully support Leach. Will you buy in if we Saturday?

And Barn or Pig, then I'll be happy.

HoopsDawg
10-28-2021, 02:51 PM
I'm concerned about our recruiting, but a win Saturday would go a long way for me. I'm expecting a loss.

Tripp McNeely
10-28-2021, 03:03 PM
I'm concerned about our recruiting, but a win Saturday would go a long way for me. I'm expecting a loss.

If we close pretty strong, which it's looking like we will, we're looking at a top 15-20 class

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-28-2021, 03:14 PM
We are obviously improving.

We are 4-3 right now with a good chance to get to 6-6 or 7-5 and extend the bowl streak.

At the end of this season Leach will basically have been here 1.5 years due to how strange last year was.

It takes time to build programs. Mullen didn't do it overnight, and had plenty of 7 win years surrounding 2014.

msstate7
10-28-2021, 03:14 PM
How we win would be important for this discussion. If we move the ball well vs Kentucky and score points would go farther for me than if Kentucky turned the ball over 3 times and lost a close, low scoring game. I expect Kentucky is gonna drop 8 and stick with it... I wanna see us score some points vs it

Maverick91
10-28-2021, 03:25 PM
If we close pretty strong, which it's looking like we will, we're looking at a top 15-20 class

Like seriously? That's huge!!! Mullen only did that like twice. Who are we flirting with?

Bothrops
10-28-2021, 03:29 PM
It would help a tremendous amount if we won Saturday.

TrapGame
10-28-2021, 03:30 PM
How we win would be important for this discussion. If we move the ball well vs Kentucky and score points would go farther for me than if Kentucky turned the ball over 3 times and lost a close, low scoring game. I expect Kentucky is gonna drop 8 and stick with it... I wanna see us score some points vs it

I agree w/ this.

Matt3467
10-28-2021, 03:55 PM
We are obviously improving.

We are 4-3 right now with a good chance to get to 6-6 or 7-5 and extend the bowl streak.

At the end of this season Leach will basically have been here 1.5 years due to how strange last year was.

It takes time to build programs. Mullen didn't do it overnight, and had plenty of 7 win years surrounding 2014.

I'm very happy we've been to bowls every season the last decade but Mullen got bailed out in a big way in 2016. In a normal year we don't go bowling then. I think that adds to the immense pressure that was on Moorhead and now on Leach. Don't get me wrong Moorhead bare minimum should've won't 10 games in '18 with that team but I think due to the success Mullen had here we aren't very patient anymore.

Saltydog
10-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Need two for me to fully commit.......Need one win against 1 of the next 3 and then beat Mississippi........Do that, I'm in.........

Tripp McNeely
10-28-2021, 04:05 PM
Like seriously? That's huge!!! Mullen only did that like twice. Who are we flirting with?

Sounds like we have a pretty decent shot at finishing with:

RB Ajay Allen
WR Some combination of Marquez Dortch, Zavion Thomas, and Kaydin Pope
OL Percy Lewis and Trent Ramsey
DL Jaheim Oatis and Treyvion Lewis
LB Stone
CB Khamauri Rogers

I don't think we get all of those guys, but if you hit on 80-85% of them you were right at #20 based on last years scores

Jack Lambert
10-28-2021, 04:15 PM
Take bad Ref call away in one game and a few bad plays away from another game we only have one lose but we would still be the same team.

vindastra
10-28-2021, 05:06 PM
Take bad Ref call away in one game and a few bad plays away from another game we only have one lose but we would still be the same team.

Didn't we already have a package for errant referees 😁?

https://twitter.com/sportsbetcomau/status/1335453217845436418

confucius say
10-28-2021, 05:07 PM

Would 24-28 points in a win do it?

Johnson85
10-28-2021, 05:14 PM
Would 24-28 points in a win do it?

If we score 24-28 points because we are methodically moving the ball down the field against a drop 8 and burn up a huge amount of clock, that seems fine to me.

Todd4State
10-28-2021, 05:35 PM
Our fans suck. Some won't "buy in" no matter what. Complete lack of perspective.

Offshore Dawg
10-28-2021, 05:51 PM

And what facts is this optimism based on ??

Tripp McNeely
10-28-2021, 06:03 PM
And what facts is this optimism based on ??

See about 5-6 posts above

HoopsDawg
10-28-2021, 06:15 PM

I'd have to see it to believe. I'm basing my opinion on current situation. Very concerned about LT next year as well.

Hambone
10-28-2021, 06:29 PM
I’m already bought in. Historically next year could be fun. I know the schedule is tough, but year 3 of Leach has always been really good

Saltydog
10-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Our fans are no different than any other fan base, period.......

Coach34
10-28-2021, 06:55 PM
I’m already bought in. Historically next year could be fun. I know the schedule is tough, but year 3 of Leach has always been really good

Historically- Leach was having to raise the talent level at the school he was at. Here- Year 3 is going to see a talent drop with all that we are likely to lose.

PGHBulldogBG
10-28-2021, 07:04 PM
Historically- Leach was having to raise the talent level at the school he was at. Here- Year 3 is going to see a talent drop with all that we are likely to lose.

I think that?s a big thing people don?t realize. People put too much emphasis on the year 3 Leach but a lot of that had to do with having more experience and talent.

basedog
10-28-2021, 07:15 PM
Winning is always a good thing. Should be an interesting game. I think we have a 50.1% chance of us winning.

Sorry but I'm just not sold on the Pirate but I will always pull for MSU.

PikeDawg15
10-28-2021, 07:44 PM

if we finish 7-5 im 100% in , I want one to be the egg bowl.... because we need it badly for momentum for recruiting..

memsu06
10-28-2021, 08:09 PM
I've already bought in.

I guess some of you forget Mullen had some years similar to this. Not to mention the threat of him leaving for another job every year. Imagine what that did to recruiting when the recruits weren't sure he'd be their coach. How's Mullen doing with better talent at FL right now?

Leach wanted to come back to the SEC to show it can work in the SEC. He absolutely does want to win. You should read his book where he tells several stories about doing absolutely everything he could think of to give his under matched teams a chance to win. He left a fake play sheet on the field when he was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma for the Red River Rivalry game. It threw Texas for a loop and allowed Oklahoma to start the game 2 scores ahead.

He's done more with less than most coaches in the nation. Texas Tech was never a recruiting hotspot and neither was Washington State. We're not that much better, but do have access to higher quality players.

Dawgtini
10-28-2021, 10:41 PM
No (I already bought in, so really ya, but no ... doesn't change where I am). But we're going to win.

preachermatt83
10-29-2021, 12:18 AM
Our fans suck. Some won't "buy in" no matter what. Complete lack of perspective.

Truest words spoken here in a long time

Dak Holliday
10-29-2021, 01:56 AM
Leach is not an improvement over CDM. He will, at best, get us back to that level, if we are lucky. Regardless of if it?s RTGDFB or AirRaid, one dimensional football can only take you so far, and this ride has more dips than climbs, which seems so impossible that it?s maddening.

Homedawg
10-29-2021, 07:26 AM
You have your hopes way too high.

bulldawg28
10-29-2021, 08:00 AM

Lol

PikeDawg15
10-29-2021, 08:36 AM
I've already bought in.

I guess some of you forget Mullen had some years similar to this. Not to mention the threat of him leaving for another job every year. Imagine what that did to recruiting when the recruits weren't sure he'd be their coach. How's Mullen doing with better talent at FL right now?

Leach wanted to come back to the SEC to show it can work in the SEC. He absolutely does want to win. You should read his book where he tells several stories about doing absolutely everything he could think of to give his under matched teams a chance to win. He left a fake play sheet on the field when he was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma for the Red River Rivalry game. It threw Texas for a loop and allowed Oklahoma to start the game 2 scores ahead.

He's done more with less than most coaches in the nation. Texas Tech was never a recruiting hotspot and neither was Washington State. We're not that much better, but do have access to higher quality players.

I agree with this but also, even though he will have his most talented teams here, it will still be the same situation as everywhere else

If he had a top 25 recruiting class at texas tech or Washington state, he would have top 5 talent in the conference
If leach has #25 class at msu , he will not even have top 10 talent in the sec when 5-6 sec schools recruit in the top 10

FISHDAWG
10-29-2021, 08:47 AM

I like Leach personally but hate his offense.... It's gonna take way more than a win against Kentucky to win me over and I'm not sure a win there would even be a start. For me this won't happen until possibly next year if we see more SEC wins and scoring improvement and I believe that will take a major adjustment to his current scheme ..... I really hope to be won over but it won't happen this year

FISHDAWG
10-29-2021, 08:53 AM

and some of our fans suck because of blind optimism .... seems like all you do is trash talk our fanbase Todd . Not everyone always shares your opinion and you should be smart enough to understand that

Tripp McNeely
10-29-2021, 09:06 AM

Why?? I posted above the recruits that we are likely to finish with. If you use the "class calculator" feature on 247, and if you do the math that finish would've put us at 17-18 last year...I'm confused by your post??

Todd4State
10-29-2021, 09:14 AM
and some of our fans suck because of blind optimism .... seems like all you do is trash talk our fanbase Todd . Not everyone always shares your opinion and you should be smart enough to understand that

I'm smart enough to understand that we're essentially getting the same results as we did under Dan and that we've already gotten about as many top 25 wins as we did under Dan. And that if our program is ever going to move forward we're going to have to throw the ball. That's the way the game is trending and has been for awhile.

And no we don't have to not will we be so extreme passing the ball with our coaches going forward. But the reality is we will start putting wide receivers and QB's in the league and that helps MSU in the long run.

But hey! Let's not buy in and blow this all up so that we can go back to what never has worked before and gotten essentially the same results as Leach while he is just starting to implement his program.**

basedog
10-29-2021, 09:41 AM
I'm smart enough to understand that we're essentially getting the same results as we did under Dan and that we've already gotten about as many top 25 wins as we did under Dan. And that if our program is ever going to move forward we're going to have to throw the ball. That's the way the game is trending and has been for awhile.

And no we don't have to not will we be so extreme passing the ball with our coaches going forward. But the reality is we will start putting wide receivers and QB's in the league and that helps MSU in the long run.

But hey! Let's not buy in and blow this all up so that we can go back to what never has worked before and gotten essentially the same results as Leach while he is just starting to implement his program.**

Not buying our fans suck Todd.

Dak Holliday
10-29-2021, 09:46 AM
I agree with this but also, even though he will have his most talented teams here, it will still be the same situation as everywhere else

If he had a top 25 recruiting class at texas tech or Washington state, he would have top 5 talent in the conference
If leach has #25 class at msu , he will not even have top 10 talent in the sec when 5-6 sec schools recruit in the top 10

Better be careful, you?re using too much reasoning. 😂

Maverick91
10-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Better be careful, you?re using too much reasoning. ��

Yeah! But, Leach didn't. He recruited about where we are recruiting at State. If he can somehow up the numbers to being a top 20-25 recruiting team. That is major, you start compounding good classes over good classes wins will become more and more normal and not so much cyclical like there were under Mullen.

Dawgology
10-29-2021, 10:24 AM
Yes. That would more or less ensure a 6+ win season and bowl game. The issue is that next years season is setting up to be one of our tougher schedules and we are playing AT Kentucky, Ole Miss and Arizona. A losing season this year and we are flirting with back to back seasons with no bowl game.

confucius say
10-29-2021, 10:26 AM
Not buying our fans suck Todd.

They are pretty bad right now. We are the only team in the league with a winning record who has not sold out a game this year. And we haven't even come close.

confucius say
10-29-2021, 10:29 AM
I like Leach personally but hate his offense.... It's gonna take way more than a win against Kentucky to win me over and I'm not sure a win there would even be a start. For me this won't happen until possibly next year if we see more SEC wins and scoring improvement and I believe that will take a major adjustment to his current scheme ..... I really hope to be won over but it won't happen this year

Tough crowd. If a 5-3 record (3-2 sec) with three top 25 wins is not enough to get fans to buy in, I'm not sure said fans will ever buy in.

confucius say
10-29-2021, 10:30 AM
Yes. That would more or less ensure a 6+ win season and bowl game. The issue is that next years season is setting up to be one of our tougher schedules and we are playing AT Kentucky, Ole Miss and Arizona. A losing season this year and we are flirting with back to back seasons with no bowl game.

4 non con (Arizona is horrible right now)
OM loses 17 starters and a first round qb
Ark, Aggie, auburn at home.

Path to 7-5 is there.

Maverick91
10-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Mullen's average recruiting ranking was 27th with three years being bad 2010 30th, 2011 41st, 2014 36th. The dude was all over the place and his wins and losses matched, we weren't a consistent team.

This is technically Leach's 3rd class if we finish this year where we currently are which is 29th Leach will have put together 2020 28th, 2021 26th, 2022 29th, classes. That's good for the 27.5 average class thus far, IF Tripp is right and we land who he thinks we will land and we finish in the top 25 that drops our class a spot or two and we are looking to be way less volatile in recruiting as what Mullen gave us, which will mean our wins and losses will not be so drastic. 2015 9 wins, 2016 5 wins. Also, many people on here have said plenty that Mullen left big cracks in our recruiting year in and year out, and it looks like Leach doesn't do that. So if you add together that we look like we are going to be a more steady and consistent recruiting team with signing the appropriate guys to not have big holes. This is a major improvement over the past decade which was our best decade.

Maverick91
10-29-2021, 10:45 AM
Tough crowd. If a 5-3 record (3-2 sec) with three top 25 wins is not enough to get fans to buy in, I'm not sure said fans will ever buy in.

I agree! But, I think people are holding onto our losses against Memphis and LSU a little more than they are holding onto our four wins. Which is stupid. Memphis was stolen and LSU was STUPID lack of focus mistakes that we still almost won.

was21
10-29-2021, 11:26 AM
Doubtful....even if his air raid is somewhat successful...it just ain't football to my way of thinking

Homedawg
10-29-2021, 12:00 PM
Why?? I posted above the recruits that we are likely to finish with. If you use the "class calculator" feature on 247, and if you do the math that finish would've put us at 17-18 last year...I'm confused by your post??
You have 10 guys listed. W taking 2 at wr. That means we would have to get 8 out of 9 to finish at that number and that's not counting and losses that might come along as well. Just get a class about 25th and I'd be tickled.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2021, 12:02 PM

You realize Arizona hasn't won a game since October 5, 2019? They're probably going 0-fer again this year.

That game isn't even our toughest non-conference game next year.

R2Dawg
10-29-2021, 01:53 PM

How do you define buy in? Kinda a loaded questions.

Does it mean if someone buys in you think Leach can win a championship? beat blue bloods? go bowling most of the time? Or does it mean, someone will never say a bad word about Leach ever again?

If we can win 2 of 4 remaining SEC games, I'll feel better about Leach being able to get us 6-7 wins a year and not implode our program.

If you can hang being all in on one game then you can lose being all in on losing one game. So which game if we lose are yall all out?

State82
10-29-2021, 03:04 PM
You realize Arizona hasn't won a game since October 5, 2019? They're probably going 0-fer again this year.

That game isn't even our toughest non-conference game next year.
Yeah they presently own the longest current losing streak in the country I believe.

Jarius
10-29-2021, 04:38 PM

We can potentially bring back 16 starters plus we get back the best defensive lineman on our roster who isn’t playing this year. We will lose some high end talent with Cross and Emerson and potentially Polk and Crumedy (I think those 2 return possibly) but we return a shit load of starters next year (potentially). There is always the chance that some of the guys who can return decide to go be a free agent that doesn’t get drafted though.

confucius say
10-29-2021, 04:55 PM
How do you define buy in? Kinda a loaded questions.

Does it mean if someone buys in you think Leach can win a championship? beat blue bloods? go bowling most of the time? Or does it mean, someone will never say a bad word about Leach ever again?

If we can win 2 of 4 remaining SEC games, I'll feel better about Leach being able to get us 6-7 wins a year and not implode our program.

If you can hang being all in on one game then you can lose being all in on losing one game. So which game if we lose are yall all out?

Buy in meaning glad he is our coach and support him bc you believe he can average a 7-5 regular season like Dan did.

If we win two teaming sec games we will be 7-5.

I'm not basing it on one game. This would give us 3 wins over teams that will be currently ranked in the top 25 as of Halloween and a bowl season in year two.

Todd4State
10-29-2021, 07:22 PM
We can potentially bring back 16 starters plus we get back the best defensive lineman on our roster who isn’t playing this year. We will lose some high end talent with Cross and Emerson and potentially Polk and Crumedy (I think those 2 return possibly) but we return a shit load of starters next year (potentially). There is always the chance that some of the guys who can return decide to go be a free agent that doesn’t get drafted though.

OL is the only spot that will get hit hard. I think we move Dollar Bill back to RT and start Cole Smith at guard so we'll have three guys that have starting experience. Could change based on the JUCO signees and the portal plus we need to find a center. Could be Boone or Reed Buys. They may give Smith another look there too in the spring.
We'll see.

Thick
10-29-2021, 07:44 PM

The Memphis game was poor game management. When you need a ref?s poor call to win vs Memphis?..well that really tells the tale. I?m definitely not flaming you JL.

The best advice Leach could have gotten from a pass happy successful coach was from Spurrier who learned this once he got to the SEC. Spurrier told Leach to be successful in the SEC you have to do things offensively that you are not comfortable with?..use a TE and run the ball much more then you are accustomed to doing. He has ignored that advice, but hopefully it eventually sinks in.

Cowbell
10-29-2021, 10:34 PM
It's hard to fully buy in to a coach that hasn't adjusted since 2008. Supportive maybe. Buying in - no. I will buy in when Leach decides that a QB going under center needs to atleast be in the playbook.

BrunswickDawg
10-30-2021, 05:46 AM
It's hard to fully buy in to a coach that hasn't adjusted since 2008. Supportive maybe. Buying in - no. I will buy in when Leach decides that a QB going under center needs to atleast be in the playbook.

We haven't had more than about 10 plays under center since 2009. Football has changed and most teams rarely have a qb under center even in goal line.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-30-2021, 06:32 AM
Most of the people I know who are going to games has nothing to do with Leach it has to do with Cohen and his desire to be the second coming of LT.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2021, 08:08 AM
Winning this games guarantees a 6-6 record at worst. It's about keeping up a little momentum, especially on the recruiting side. We've got a legit shot to finish top 25 if we flip a couple and sign a couple others. It's trending to the positive. That's what winning today is about. The long game of the full season is important.

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-30-2021, 08:11 AM
Welcome back, Cooter!

confucius say
10-30-2021, 08:59 AM
Winning this games guarantees a 6-6 record at worst. It's about keeping up a little momentum, especially on the recruiting side. We've got a legit shot to finish top 25 if we flip a couple and sign a couple others. It's trending to the positive. That's what winning today is about. The long game of the full season is important.

Agree. Win today and it feels like everything is headed in the right direction. Hope is an important currency.

PGHBulldogBG
10-30-2021, 09:36 AM
I don?t have much hope or fault Leach and the team if we lose @ark or @auburn but if we can win today and then pull off the egg bowl this will be considered a very successful season. A bowl win would be a bigger bonus

Dolphus Raymond
10-30-2021, 01:54 PM
Already all in with Leach. When he has the pieces he needs, our offense will score a lot of points.

lastmajordog
10-30-2021, 02:37 PM
I don?t have much hope or fault Leach and the team if we lose @ark or @auburn but if we can win today and then pull off the egg bowl this will be considered a very successful season. A bowl win would be a bigger bonus

The Egg Bowl is a MUST win. Earlier I thought that was a pipe dream, but now I’m expecting a win.