PDA

View Full Version : Sidewalk Fans

Indndawg
10-28-2021, 01:54 PM
1) Why does Mississippi have so many?

2) Why does MSU (seemingly) have so few?

BulldogDX55
10-28-2021, 02:01 PM

1. If you are really, really racist and need a college team, the Slave Owner's Wife Lost Causers are a great choice.
1b. Alternatively, if you are a shallow person who is a fan of flash with no substance, they're definitely in the wheelhouse.
2. A lifetime of poor marketing and close proximity to the #1 program of all time. It took til like year three of the Mullen era to even have more State fans than Bama fans in Columbus.
2b. A century with the CL being the only game in town for sports news.

Maverick91
10-28-2021, 02:45 PM
1. If you are really, really racist and need a college team, the Slave Owner's Wife Lost Causers are a great choice.
1b. Alternatively, if you are a shallow person who is a fan of flash with no substance, they're definitely in the wheelhouse.
2. A lifetime of poor marketing and close proximity to the #1 program of all time. It took til like year three of the Mullen era to even have more State fans than Bama fans in Columbus.

Clapping!!!

BeardoMSU
10-28-2021, 02:46 PM

/thread

Liverpooldawg
10-28-2021, 03:14 PM

If you grew up when I did that first one is REAL easy to answer. They didn't have to hide it back then.

TUSK
10-28-2021, 03:33 PM
Damn, I thought this thread was about me.

https://ahseeit.com/memes-to-send/king-include/uploads/2021/03/126854806_1032635053877241_958262363973354750_n-5783277464.jpg

Jack Lambert
10-28-2021, 03:49 PM
The thing about sidewalk fans they disappear when that team sucks. Then reappear when they don't. My face book wall is loaded with all my friends who are sidewalk fans right now. I call them out all the time by asking where were you during the five years they did not go to a bowl game. They ignore it. The thing about state fans we hang with the team. We bitch when we are bad and we bitch when we are good but we stay with our team. Most of us have some type of relationship with the school.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-28-2021, 03:57 PM
Ole Miss knows how to market their brand and doesn?t have an incompetent AD.

viverlibre
10-28-2021, 04:22 PM
Ole Miss knows how to market their brand and doesn?t have an incompetent AD.

^^^^^this.

Go to Academy in Flowood and Ole Miss gear will be in prominence over MSU gear, who ever markets our stuff does a terrible job.

Also it seems our former players are not as supportive of the university as much as at other schools, there are only a few names in our "Ring of Honor" with Walt Harris being one of the most recent. Why is Smoot's name not up there or someone like Keefer McGee? All but two of the inductees are white, our best players have been black.

Why do we not claim the 41 National Championship? Guess who claims it (that we beat that year), Bama.

Also they pump out propaganda articles out "never lost a party," "Oxford is the best college town in america," and "redshirting Ms Americas." We don't toot our own horn nearly enough (or ever).

We need an external PR firm to pump up our image.

parabrave
10-28-2021, 04:30 PM

One Person Archie Manning. Most non College friends that I have who are in their Mid 50's up were kids when Archies Army was going on. Now most non College persons are Bama fans.

MSU has had no one up until DAK.

For non MSU college grads MSU is the favorite though because most USM grads and other fans despise Ole Miss.

Vandownbytheriver
10-28-2021, 04:47 PM
The thing about sidewalk fans they disappear when that team sucks. Then reappear when they don't. My face book wall is loaded with all my friends who are sidewalk fans right now. I call them out all the time by asking where were you during the five years they did not go to a bowl game. They ignore it. The thing about state fans we hang with the team. We bitch when we are bad and we bitch when we are good but we stay with our team. Most of us have some type of relationship with the school.

Lots of those are also Braves and Saints "fans" when they are winning. Lots of Chopping on the BookFace right now.

terradawg
10-28-2021, 08:45 PM
If there is a large contingent of UM sidewalk fans, I don't see it...I do see MSU tags, bumper stickers, baseball caps, and clothing throughout MS. I do see occasionally on the deep rural country road a rebel-Ole MS flag, probably for the visual content of the flag; and a stark contrast the XL SUV or beamer with a UM sticker.

Maverick91
10-28-2021, 09:36 PM
^^^^^this.

Go to Academy in Flowood and Ole Miss gear will be in prominence over MSU gear, who ever markets our stuff does a terrible job.

Also it seems our former players are not as supportive of the university as much as at other schools, there are only a few names in our "Ring of Honor" with Walt Harris being one of the most recent. Why is Smoot's name not up there or someone like Keefer McGee? All but two of the inductees are white, our best players have been black.

Why do we not claim the 41 National Championship? Guess who claims it (that we beat that year), Bama.

Also they pump out propaganda articles out "never lost a party," "Oxford is the best college town in america," and "redshirting Ms Americas." We don't toot our own horn nearly enough (or ever).

We need an external PR firm to pump up our image.

They can hire me! I can blow smoke with the best of them if I believe in it. You best believe I believe in State!

LC Dawg
10-28-2021, 09:53 PM
Stricklin is dead to me after leaving us for Florida but he did a great job marketing Mississippi State. We don't have that now.
Ole Miss does have a better football history than us and that makes it a little easier to market them and there are still a lot of people in Mississippi who grew up in homes with Rebel flags and Colonel Reb or visited their grandparents and saw the Rebel flags and Colonel Rebs hanging on the walls and they still love them some Dixie.
This is fading quickly though. I am 53 and quite a few of my "Ole Miss" friends from high school have kids that have graduated from State and some currently there. The common theme is that once their kids visit State they can't do anything about them wanting them to go to school there because they love it.

Dak Holliday
10-29-2021, 01:49 AM
Ole Miss is unique in the fact that it is a school better known by its nickname than its actual name the University of Mississippi. Whether we like it or not, regardless of its past, that name gives them a national brand, and as Madonna once said, there?s no such thing as bad publicity. It?s because of this many, like C34, will only refer to them as Mississippi.
Unfortunately for us, almost every state has a state college/university that they refer to as State, and most people outside of the SEC think Michigan State when they see/hear MSU. If we are going to build a brand, it must be Mississippi State.
Lastly, other schools, including OM, see the value of investing more into football, it?s most lucrative and popular sport, than we do because our administration doesn?t want to detract from baseball, it?s favorite but much less popular from a sports perspective son. Look at our football promos, the best one is about baseball and Landon Sims. Why should new fans flock to support a team that is so obviously second tier to its own university? Just one more burden we few old Dawgs have to endure as Bulldogs.

Santiago
10-29-2021, 07:39 AM
Colonel reb, playing Dixie, and the old days of Archie at the time that MSU was not good is what brought them a generation of fans in the state. That seems to be all changing with the times now, and more MSU fans/alumni in the state than Ole Miss.

Ole Miss marketing was always better, but it does seem like with Strickland we evened that playing field.

basedog
10-29-2021, 08:03 AM
Johnny Vaught is the main reason Ole Dixie has the "side walk" fan base. But things are pretty much equal between the two schools. Seems we are growing faster than Ole Dixie now days, being as we do claim "This Is Our State".

Cooterpoot
10-29-2021, 08:04 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/XYrcB5Zc/ED23-A3-B5-2-B66-4313-AC97-0-A5749846-E9-E.jpg

MS people are too caught up in the stuff they can see, rather than what's best.

Fader21
10-29-2021, 08:04 AM
It all has to do with Media and Marketing. You see Ole Miss always being talked about in a positive light on ESPN, SEC Network even with past troubles of Kiffin, and the school in general. Of course most of this comes from executives at ESPN that are tied with Ole Miss. I always hate when a "SEC doumentary" happens with either Ole Miss or State. Ole Miss they usually never talk about negative issues. MSU documentaries are always going to have some kinda of controversy. Look at Croom's piece and also the in fighting between Palmerio and Clark.

FISHDAWG
10-29-2021, 09:10 AM

I'm a sidewalk fan because I went to school OOS in Nashville but I def live and die with MSU .... and have since 1974. So there are exceptions

viverlibre
10-29-2021, 01:11 PM
Ole Miss is unique in the fact that it is a school better known by its nickname than its actual name the University of Mississippi. Whether we like it or not, regardless of its past, that name gives them a national brand, and as Madonna once said, there?s no such thing as bad publicity. It?s because of this many, like C34, will only refer to them as Mississippi.
Unfortunately for us, almost every state has a state college/university that they refer to as State, and most people outside of the SEC think Michigan State when they see/hear MSU. If we are going to build a brand, it must be Mississippi State.
Lastly, other schools, including OM, see the value of investing more into football, it?s most lucrative and popular sport, than we do because our administration doesn?t want to detract from baseball, it?s favorite but much less popular from a sports perspective son. Look at our football promos, the best one is about baseball and Landon Sims. Why should new fans flock to support a team that is so obviously second tier to its own university? Just one more burden we few old Dawgs have to endure as Bulldogs.

Disagree with the bolded part above. Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, LSU, NC State, none of these are known as "State." Not sure about Oklahoma State, but i don't think they are commonly referred to "State." I have no clue about Michigan State, but our world's rarely collide. We in no way compete with lesser known state universities such as Georgia State, Montana State, Texas State, etc., so who cares if they are locally known as "State," none are national college sports brands. There is no national "State" brand and that is why we should take it. Mississippi State is just too long and cumbersome, doesn't roll off the tongue. A good portion of SEC media already refer to us as "State." Plus the "STATE" Black Sweatshirt that Mike Leach and Brandon Walker wear is the best bit of athletic apparel we have. STATE is a strong brand and concise, that we need to grab on to.

I'm surprised the PC police haven't come after Ole Miss with more vigor.

Fader21
10-29-2021, 01:30 PM
Disagree with the bolded part above. Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, LSU, NC State, none of these are known as "State." Not sure about Oklahoma State, but i don't think they are commonly referred to "State." I have no clue about Michigan State, but our world's rarely collide. There is no national "State" brand and that is why we should take it. Mississippi State is just too long and cumbersome, doesn't roll off the tongue. A good portion of SEC media already refer to us as "State." Plus the "STATE" Black Sweatshirt that Mike Leach and Brandon Walker wear is the best bit of athletic apparel we have. STATE is a strong brand, that we need to grab on to.

I haven't found the Black "State" Hoodie. Does anyone know where to find them.

viverlibre
10-29-2021, 01:54 PM

Last football season the (off) Campus Book Mart had them, but I haven't seen them this year. Don't know why our marketing team is not making sure these are in every sporting goods store in 'Sip. I'm guessing it's not a trademarked logo and the university can't license it and get a cut?

Dawgbite
10-29-2021, 02:21 PM
1. There is the redneck portion of our population that is a fan of anything that lets them wave a rebel flag. OM started taking college sports seriously 75 plus years ago and Archie Manning drew a lot of fans to the rebs.
2. Up until we got rode of LT, we were the Washington Generals of college sports. We only started taking college sports seriously when we hired Byrne.

MadDawg
10-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Growing up in MS, every redneck had a confederate flag on their car or truck. Most couldn't tell you a single thing about ole miss or college sports in general, but they loved them some Colonel Reb!

PGHBulldogBG
10-29-2021, 02:51 PM
I never really thought Miss State or Ole Miss had many sidewalk fans. I thought most of the sidewalk fans in Mississippi went for Bama or LSU. That?s strange to me Ole Miss or State would have very many

Dak Holliday
10-29-2021, 05:42 PM
Disagree with the bolded part above. Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, LSU, NC State, none of these are known as "State." Not sure about Oklahoma State, but i don't think they are commonly referred to "State." I have no clue about Michigan State, but our world's rarely collide. We in no way compete with lesser known state universities such as Georgia State, Montana State, Texas State, etc., so who cares if they are locally known as "State," none are national college sports brands. There is no national "State" brand and that is why we should take it. Mississippi State is just too long and cumbersome, doesn't roll off the tongue. A good portion of SEC media already refer to us as "State." Plus the "STATE" Black Sweatshirt that Mike Leach and Brandon Walker wear is the best bit of athletic apparel we have. STATE is a strong brand and concise, that we need to grab on to.

State is a generic name. There is a reason none of the schools you mentioned call themselves State on a national level. Yes, in this little bubble of Mississippi, it makes sense, but it doesn?t outside our sphere. 😂

Extendedcab
10-29-2021, 05:46 PM
State is a generic name. There is a reason none of the schools you mentioned call themselves State on a national level. Yes, in this little bubble of Mississippi, it makes sense, but it doesn?t outside our sphere. ��

I sort of agree. But consider The University of Miami known as the "U". MSU can create the same type of brand!

Dak Holliday
10-29-2021, 05:56 PM
I sort of agree. But consider The University of Miami known as the "U". MSU can create the same type of brand!

They definitely can, but it has to be something unique. The reason ?the U? works is because no one else referred to themselves in that fashion. Even when Ohio State tries to copy it now by saying- THE Ohio State University- folks are like, nah, that?s Miami?s thing.

Bothrops
10-29-2021, 09:40 PM
Ole Miss has the catchy name and are the media darlings in the state despite having a racist past. They are the best in the country (maybe the only ones) at paying for attention to prop themselves up, whether it's football, academic ranking, getting celebrities on campus, news media, the square, the grove, etc. It's all bullshit, but people on the outside see these things and it makes the impression they are seeking. They even pay certain people to pretend we don't exist, by not mentioning us. Again, all this strengthens their brand, makes them feel exclusive.

Dak Holliday
10-29-2021, 11:11 PM
Ole Miss has the catchy name and are the media darlings in the state despite having a racist past. They are the best in the country (maybe the only ones) at paying for attention to prop themselves up, whether it's football, academic ranking, getting celebrities on campus, news media, the square, the grove, etc. It's all bullshit, but people on the outside see these things and it makes the impression they are seeking. They even pay certain people to pretend we don't exist, by not mentioning us. Again, all this strengthens their brand, makes them feel exclusive.

Yes, but this is essentially just the basis for all marketing. Good marketing sells bad products all day every day. It goes to show that they?re doing it better than we are.

viverlibre
11-03-2021, 01:02 PM

I checked the Campus Book Mart on Saturday, they have a lot of different styles of shirts with the STATE on them. I bought a black dry fit, it has become one of my favorites.

Maverick91
11-03-2021, 01:53 PM
I checked the Campus Book Mart on Saturday, they have a lot of different styles of shirts with the STATE on them. I bought a black dry fit, it has become one of my favorites.

do they have a website?

RocketDawg
11-03-2021, 03:36 PM
do they have a website?

https://www.campusbookmart.net/cbm/

IMissJack
11-03-2021, 04:09 PM
We have a lot of sidewalk baseball fans, but it's harder for them to find general admission tickets now. ***

viverlibre
11-03-2021, 05:13 PM
https://www.campusbookmart.net/cbm/

Their website can use a lot of help....

OLJWales
11-03-2021, 11:51 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/XYrcB5Zc/ED23-A3-B5-2-B66-4313-AC97-0-A5749846-E9-E.jpg

MS people are too caught up in the stuff they can see, rather than what's best.

Like. Will try and rep.