PDA

View Full Version : Braves Astros

parabrave
10-26-2021, 09:22 PM
Braves looking good so far taking advantage of Bakers screwup of pitching Valdez in the 1st game. But Morton is officially done. Hopefully this isn't their Gene Morgan moment.

Commercecomet24
10-26-2021, 09:30 PM
This team has been next man up all year. I think they thrive on it. That being said losing Charlie hurts. Of course Astros are without McCullers too.

parabrave
10-26-2021, 09:44 PM
This team has been next man up all year. I think they thrive on it. That being said losing Charlie hurts. Of course Astros are without McCullers too.

AA made some great trades.

MaroonFlounder
10-26-2021, 10:30 PM
Charlie with a broken leg. Holy tough luck to lose your ACE starter 3 innings into game 1.

I would save Max Fried for game 3 in ATL for his bat. Not sure Braves can win 4 without Morton.

msstate7
10-26-2021, 10:38 PM
Charlie with a broken leg. Holy tough luck to lose your ACE starter 3 innings into game 1.

I would save Max Fried for game 3 in ATL for his bat. Not sure Braves can win 4 without Morton.

Astros lost their best starter.

Braves beat a better team than the Astros with Morton on pitching 5 innings... they lost that game too

Commercecomet24
10-26-2021, 11:10 PM

Astros are without their ace too. I like the Braves chances it's been next man up for them all year.

Really Clark?
10-26-2021, 11:35 PM

Max has been lights out on the road though.

Commercecomet24
10-27-2021, 12:00 AM

And Houston struggles with lefty's.

SilentSteel16
10-27-2021, 08:25 AM

The Astros hit better for avg .270 on the year versus lefties. They hit for more power against righties but also strike out 3x more against righties.

I would be careful throwing a bunch of lefties at the Astros. Ask Chris Sale about that.

shoeless joe
10-27-2021, 09:10 AM
With Morton out the Braves really to you win one of the next two. Then they’ll be ok having fried and Anderson on full rest for 6 and 7. If they can win tonite they’ll be kn same shape as the LCS, just needing to take one at home to have a great shot…but I think they win at least one of their “bullpen” games…4 or 5…at home. Would be amazing if wright could step in somewhere and give em 5 solid innings.

MaroonFlounder
10-27-2021, 09:26 AM

Not in LA his last outing, he wasn't

MaroonFlounder
10-27-2021, 09:28 AM

Yordan Alvarez doesn't...as Frank Thomas said last night.

SilentSteel16
10-27-2021, 09:32 AM
Yordan is on fire right now, has been for about a month. You would be better off pitching around him and pitching to Correa… much like they did last night early. I am a huge Astros fan, but almost have to look away when Correa and Tuck come to hit. They have had some huge hits for us, but man that is a go big or go home hole in that lineup.

I seriously don’t think Tucker even knows how to hit off speed opposite field, fastball he will but off speed he is swing and miss or pull it.

SilentSteel16
10-27-2021, 09:34 AM
My first game to ever see in person, was Mike Scott and Glen Davis days… We have come along way. Hate to see Correa leave but can’t afford him and hurt the next 2 years singable guys coming due.

Commercecomet24
10-27-2021, 09:57 AM
My first game to ever see in person, was Mike Scott and Glen Davis days… We have come along way. Hate to see Correa leave but can’t afford him and hurt the next 2 years singable guys coming due.

Mike Scott and that split finger was some nasty stuff and Glen Davis could hit it a ton.

Commercecomet24
10-27-2021, 09:59 AM
Yordan Alvarez doesn't...as Frank Thomas said last night.

No but there lineup as a whole does. And the Braves pitched around Alvarez last night and I imagine they will continue to do so.

Really Clark?
10-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Not in LA his last outing, he wasn't

Yeah the anomaly is the only thing you look at.

MaroonFlounder
10-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Yeah the anomaly is the only thing you look at.

Recency bias. We'll see how he does tonight.

msstate7
10-27-2021, 11:15 AM
What I thought I saw last night confined...

https://i.postimg.cc/5N1nHzkj/D65-DF43-F-7-B5-B-418-C-B95-A-1-C02-C8-DB3783.jpg (https://postimg.cc/z3tn6yN1)

Blue was really favoring Astros

Commercecomet24
10-27-2021, 11:29 AM
What I thought I saw last night confined...

https://i.postimg.cc/5N1nHzkj/D65-DF43-F-7-B5-B-418-C-B95-A-1-C02-C8-DB3783.jpg (https://postimg.cc/z3tn6yN1)

Blue was really favoring Astros

Yeah he was pretty bad. The back to back strikeouts of Duvall and D'arnauld on pitches that weren't even close were just terrible.

shoeless joe
10-27-2021, 11:53 AM
Yeah he was pretty bad. The back to back strikeouts of Duvall and D'arnauld on pitches that weren't even close were just terrible.

He was making his mind up too early. That missed strike 3 to lead off the 9th coulda really hurt. But fortunately smith got it done. Conroy and one of the other umps….bollina or something like that…are generally not good when I’ve seen them. I was shocked to see them working the WS. I guess angel and CB had pre existing engagements

Commercecomet24
10-27-2021, 12:04 PM
He was making his mind up too early. That missed strike 3 to lead off the 9th coulda really hurt. But fortunately smith got it done. Conroy and one of the other umps….bollina or something like that…are generally not good when I’ve seen them. I was shocked to see them working the WS. I guess angel and CB had pre existing engagements

Yeah Angel and CB are the worst! The crappy thing is if this thing goes 7 Conroy will be back behind the plate for game 7.

MaroonFlounder
10-27-2021, 04:09 PM
Yeah Angel and CB are the worst!

Who is CB?

Commercecomet24
10-27-2021, 05:40 PM
Who is CB?

CB buckner

smootness
10-28-2021, 06:57 AM
I keep seeing people say the Astros lost their ace, too, which is true....but the Braves also lost Soroka. So we're down our TWO aces.

MaroonFlounder
10-28-2021, 07:30 AM
Max Fried is not a big game pitcher. Ian Anderson is usually good the first time through the lineup, but this is the Astros.

There's not a pitcher on the Braves staff that I trust outside of Tyler Matzek, who Snit only uses situationally.

msstate7
10-28-2021, 08:14 AM
I keep seeing people say the Astros lost their ace, too, which is true....but the Braves also lost Soroka. So we're down our TWO aces.

While true, smoot, he hasn't pitched a single inning this year to get us here.

Now let's dream a little.... fried, Morton, soroka, Anderson, whoever, all healthy next year.

SilentSteel16
10-28-2021, 08:59 AM
I really like the guy, especially when he pitched for us but Morton has thrown his last MLB pitch I believe. He is the definition of a true team player and competitor. Wish him the best but at 37, and now this leg injury he will probably head home especially if Braves can pull it off and win the series.

msstate7
10-28-2021, 09:05 AM
I really like the guy, especially when he pitched for us but Morton has thrown his last MLB pitch I believe. He is the definition of a true team player and competitor. Wish him the best but at 37, and now this leg injury he will probably head home especially if Braves can pull it off and win the series.

He just signed an extension

West Houston Dog
10-28-2021, 09:06 AM
:(

SilentSteel16
10-28-2021, 09:10 AM
He just signed an extension

That was before the injury, sure I bet he was planning on staying but a pitchers leg is a big deal especially at 37 and he is a torque type pitcher. Like I said I wish him the best and hope he plays again, but don’t think that Sept extension guarantees his arm next year.

SilentSteel16
10-28-2021, 09:14 AM

The fact that we won what we won and got to the series with the SP issues we have had since the start shows the toughness of this team. They need to get Strom a lifetime contract, granted he is old now but that man is the reason we are where we are. Also, Dusty is awesome. Would love to just sit and talk baseball with that guy. He is something special.

Speaking of next year, think we lose Correa, which is long run good for us financially but our young arms and several position players is very exciting future wise. Can’t wait for that kid at AA to transition up at 1B, he is going to mash.

parabrave
10-28-2021, 11:31 AM
Max Fried is not a big game pitcher. Ian Anderson is usually good the first time through the lineup, but this is the Astros.

There's not a pitcher on the Braves staff that I trust outside of Tyler Matzek, who Snit only uses situationally.

Whats worse than Frried was the way the Astros shut down our hitting. Do you think that Snit changing the lineup had ant effect on this last night?

smootness
10-28-2021, 11:59 AM

And we didn't have Acuna or Ozuna. And your payroll is $50 million higher.

msstate7
10-28-2021, 12:37 PM
Couple of good posts by a total douche (enscheff) on chopcountry to keep the first 2 games in perspective...

"Game 2 saw both teams ?deserve? a BA of around .208. One team played poor defense, and the other got lucky on BABIP and sequencing to win 7-2.

Game 1 saw one team ?deserve? a BA of .283 while the other ?deserved? a .256 value. The team that hit the ball better lost that game 6-2 because they played poor defense and the other team had some fortunate luck.

That?s how baseball usually works, and the complaining during the game is pure nonsense. The playoffs require a good bit of luck, in addition to execution and proper strategy, to win games."

And...

"Further, Max pitched to a .260 xwOBA last night, but got .313 wOBA results. He pitched like a top of the rotation guy, and got the results of a middle guy.

The Astros were very fortunate to score so many runs, even with that inflated wOBA.

Max Fried is just fine."

SilentSteel16
10-28-2021, 01:07 PM
And we didn't have Acuna or Ozuna. And your payroll is $50 million higher.

True no Acuna, but your salary argument is because they have dead money tied up with Verlander and also McCullers. Once Correa is off the books song with Verlander, the salaries won’t be terribly far apart. Just think if we would have been able to hold on to Springer, springer was arguably the heartbeat of the team. The salary being so high is directly due to the success of the team. No WS appearances and no pennants the Astros would have a Braves esque payroll. With big wins comes big contracts.

msstate7
10-28-2021, 01:26 PM
True no Acuna, but your salary argument is because they have dead money tied up with Verlander and also McCullers. Once Correa is off the books song with Verlander, the salaries won’t be terribly far apart. Just think if we would have been able to hold on to Springer, springer was arguably the trash can beat of the team. The salary being so high is directly due to the success of the team. No WS appearances and no pennants the Astros would have a Braves esque payroll. With big wins comes big contracts.

Fify lol

MaroonFlounder
10-28-2021, 10:08 PM

CHEATERS.

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 10:18 AM
You might as well call every team out there cheaters then. Stealing signs has been in the game since conception. But hold on to that. Hope it works out for ya.

StateDawg44
10-29-2021, 10:26 AM
You might as well call every team out there cheaters then. Stealing signs has been in the game since conception. But hold on to that. Hope it works out for ya.

That's pathetic. A player stealing a sign while on second or on the field is totally different than using electronic devices to get the sign and send word from the outfield to the batter at the plate.

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 11:19 AM
You do know the Twins,Yankees, Marlins and even the great Braves were caught with iPhones and apple watches in the dugout and bullpens right? Why do you think players weren’t suspended? Electronic aids on sign stealing is and was rampant and it was not just the Astros doing it.

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 11:21 AM
If you seriously think the Astros were the only ones using electronic devices than I do have some property you would be interested in. The back forty of it is rumored to be guarded by some really large beings with flaming swords.

parabrave
10-29-2021, 11:48 AM
Getting back to this series I think tonights game is a make or break it for the Braves. They must not only win but Anderson has to eat up some innings to save the BP since the next game will be a BP game.

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 11:51 AM
This game is pivotal for both teams, Astros need it just as bad due to starting pitching. Going to be a great series. I really do see it going a full seven. Astros actually hit better away from the juice box. So hopefully our starting pitching can do exactly what y’all are wanting with Anderson. Going to be fun to watch.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2021, 11:53 AM
If you seriously think the Astros were the only ones using electronic devices than I do have some property you would be interested in. The back forty of it is rumored to be guarded by some really large beings with flaming swords.

This. There's no way there was only one team doing this, no way. Sign stealing been around as long as baseball it's just recently it was done using electronics. I just listened to a podcast Christ Bassitt was on and he pretty much said everyone was doing it but manfred needed to make an example of someone to get it stopped and I seriously doubt it's stopped.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2021, 11:56 AM
Getting back to this series I think tonights game is a make or break it for the Braves. They must not only win but Anderson has to eat up some innings to save the BP since the next game will be a BP game.

This game big for both teams. If Anderson has his nasty change up we in good shape

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 12:01 PM
This game big for both teams. If Anderson has his nasty change up we in good shape

If his change up is on and he is spotting it going to be trouble for my Astros.

Seriously, don’t pitch anything middle-in to Altuve and he is neutralized
Don’t pitch at all to Yordan
Let Correa and Tuck get themselves out
Anything spinning to Yuli he rolls over on it
Anything away to Bregs he won’t swing
A good change up is the Achilles heel to them. Been watching them to long and it is crazy how they crush almost every mistake pitch.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2021, 12:16 PM
If his change up is on and he is spotting it going to be trouble for my Astros.

Seriously, don’t pitch anything middle-in to Altuve and he is neutralized
Don’t pitch at all to Yordan
Let Correa and Tuck get themselves out
Anything spinning to Yuli he rolls over on it
Anything away to Bregs he won’t swing
A good change up is the Achilles heel to them. Been watching them to long and it is crazy how they crush almost every mistake pitch.

Agree with this game plan. Hope Braves can execute it. I would never throw anything inside to Altuve and avoid Yordan at all costs

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 12:50 PM
You know as well as anyone. That knowing what to do and executing pitches are two totally different animals. That is why Maddox is considered the greatest. Give him that scouting report in the 90s against this Astros lineup and it would be a shutout at worst for Braves.

Those are just my observations from over 70 games on TV and 9 home game in person games this year. Never was accused of being smart but I am observant. Haha.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2021, 01:14 PM
You know as well as anyone. That knowing what to do and executing pitches are two totally different animals. That is why Maddox is considered the greatest. Give him that scouting report in the 90s against this Astros lineup and it would be a shutout at worst for Braves.

Those are just my observations from over 70 games on TV and 9 home game in person games this year. Never was accused of being smart but I am observant. Haha.

Exactly, execution always the key doesn't matter how good you are if you can't execute! I know everyone's into high velo these days but but I'm a thousand percent sure that Maddux would thrive in today's baseball of free swingers!

RocketDawg
10-29-2021, 07:32 PM
I don't watch much baseball, but in tonight's game - Garcia (Houston pitcher) has the strangest movement I've ever seen. How is it even legal?

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 09:40 PM
It is very strange, a lot of guys pitch off of rhythm and tempo. Want to watch something funny google Hedeio Nomo pitching. Spelling may be off but he would have definitely tried my patience as a hitter. Ha.

Legally yes they are fine as long as his foot never leaves the rubber prior to delivery of pitch

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Another off one is I believe Fernando Venezuela. Maybe wrong with him but he used to not even look at home plate until last second. Literally would be looking straight up

Commercecomet24
10-29-2021, 09:46 PM
It is very strange, a lot of guys pitch off of rhythm and tempo. Want to watch something funny google Hedeio Nomo pitching. Spelling may be off but he would have definitely tried my patience as a hitter. Ha.

Legally yes they are fine as long as his foot never leaves the rubber prior to delivery of pitch

I believer Nomos nickname in Japan was the tornado because of his windup lol

Commercecomet24
10-29-2021, 09:47 PM
Another off one is I believe Fernando Venezuela. Maybe wrong with him but he used to not even look at home plate until last second. Literally would be looking straight up

But Fernando was a Mayan Indian who used his pineal eye like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands lol!

parabrave
10-29-2021, 09:49 PM
Oh dam Luke Jackson. Hopefully we get good Luke.

SilentSteel16
10-29-2021, 09:49 PM
But Fernando was a Mayan Indian who used his pineal eye like the lava lizards of the Gal?pagos Islands lol!

Haha. And he could mash with the bat.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2021, 09:52 PM
Haha. And he could mash with the bat.

Yeah he could hit too!

starkvegasdawg
10-29-2021, 10:52 PM
Is the shift the standard defense now? I haven't watched one inning of mlb until this post season and haven't watched much now but it looks like all that's played. I figured MLB hitters would just go opposite field all game long and take advantage of that.

BeardoMSU
10-29-2021, 10:54 PM
Is the shift the standard defense now? I haven't watched one inning of mlb until this post season and haven't watched much now but it looks like all that's played. I figured MLB hitters would just go opposite field all game long and take advantage of that.

Lemonis is a trend setter***

Dawg_Lover
10-30-2021, 12:15 AM

If you are talking about Fernando Valenzuela, I saw him pitch in Dodger Stadium, July ?84. It was also Old Timers Day, and there was an Old Timer demo game played prior to the regular season game. We got to see so many take the field, including Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Tommy Lasorda, and Pee Wee Reese. During the introduction ceremony, they even brought out Roy Campanella, in his wheelchair. Good time that day.

Sorry for jumping off subject. Your post brought back long buried memories.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2021, 12:25 AM
If you are talking about Fernando Valenzuela, I saw him pitch in Dodger Stadium, July ?84. It was also Old Timers Day, and there was an Old Timer demo game played prior to the regular season game. We got to see so many take the field, including Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Tommy Lasorda, and Pee Wee Reese. During the introduction ceremony, they even brought out Roy Campanella, in his wheelchair. Good time that day.

That's good stuff! I saw Fernando pitch against Dwight Gooden in 1985 at Dodger stadium. Gooden was so dominate that year and him and Fernando dueled that night. Back when starters went more than 4-5 innings

Dawg_Lover
10-30-2021, 12:46 AM
That's good stuff! I saw Fernando pitch against Dwight Gooden in 1985 at Dodger stadium. Gooden was so dominate that year and him and Fernando dueled that night. Back when starters went more than 4-5 innings

Best I can remember they were playing either the Mets or Blue Jays that day, and Valenzuela was having an off day. Dodgers lost, if I remember correctly. Did not matter to me because I got to see so many old timers, plus my favorite Dodger player, catcher Steve Yeager. Being a female, I thought he was pretty good looking .... oh, and he was a decent catcher, too.

parabrave
10-30-2021, 12:56 AM
Right now my 2 choices for MVP are Austin Riley and AJ Minter.

msstate7
10-30-2021, 05:53 AM
Right now my 2 choices for MVP are Austin Riley and AJ Minter.

For WS? TDA sporting a .417 avg and a 1.417 ops

SilentSteel16
10-30-2021, 10:08 AM

WOW, that was a once in a lifetime deal there. I guarantee you the ticket price you paid then would have been payable 10x over for a baseball history fan. That sounds awesome !!

Commercecomet24
10-30-2021, 01:12 PM
Best I can remember they were playing either the Mets or Blue Jays that day, and Valenzuela was having an off day. Dodgers lost, if I remember correctly. Did not matter to me because I got to see so many old timers, plus my favorite Dodger player, catcher Steve Yeager. Being a female, I thought he was pretty good looking .... oh, and he was a decent catcher, too.

Lot of baseball history you got to see there! Priceless!

Yeah ol Yeager big strong guy with all
that hair!

Dawg_Lover
10-30-2021, 06:44 PM
WOW, that was a once in a lifetime deal there. I guarantee you the ticket price you paid then would have been payable 10x over for a baseball history fan. That sounds awesome !!

Yeah, we got lucky. Were visiting my FIL, and his law partner gave us his season tickets since he was to be out of town for that game. Wow, was field level, halfway between 3rd & home, far enough back to be in the shade, and a concession stand about 8 rows behind us. We truly had it made in the shade that day. 😎

parabrave
10-30-2021, 07:58 PM
I wish Snt would have started Wright. We need him to east up some innings now.

parabrave
10-30-2021, 09:43 PM
For WS? TDA sporting a .417 avg and a 1.417 ops

7 that may be so but AR getting the big hits when we really need them/

Dawg_Lover
10-30-2021, 10:57 PM
State Won!

Bear Snarks Lost!

Braves Won!

TRIPLE HEADER!!!

BeardoMSU
10-30-2021, 10:58 PM
State Won!

Bear Snarks Lost!

Braves Won!

TRIPLE HEADER!!!

My buddy and I have a thing where We win, OM loses, and Dak wins. We call it the "trifecta", lol.

Dawg_Lover
10-30-2021, 10:59 PM
My buddy and I have a thing where We win, OM loses, and Dak wins. We call it the "trifecta", lol.

I almost said that, but since Braves rounded it out changed it.

BeardoMSU
10-30-2021, 11:01 PM
I almost said that, but since Braves rounded it out changed it.

Lol, I get it. Was coming to this thread to post the Braves were up 3-1 in the serious.

Btw, when we go 0-3, the "trifecta" becomes the "****fecta"....so she's a fickle wench, lol.

Dawg_Lover
10-30-2021, 11:03 PM
Lol, I get it. Was coming to this thread to post the Braves were up 3-1 in the serious.

Btw, when we go 0-3, the "trifecta" becomes the "****fecta"....so she's a fickle wench, lol.

I am just HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

Commercecomet24
10-30-2021, 11:04 PM
State Won!

Bear Snarks Lost!

Braves Won!

TRIPLE HEADER!!!

Yep clean sweep today! Now if the Bucs win, Dak wins and Braves win tomorrow be a complete weekend sweep! Those are rare!

parabrave
10-30-2021, 11:07 PM
What a great day. Now tomorrow Max is going to have to pitch lights out.

Dawg_Lover
10-30-2021, 11:15 PM
Yep clean sweep today! Now if the Bucs win, Dak wins and Braves win tomorrow be a complete weekend sweep! Those are rare!

Absolutely! Was just thinking I do not know when I have been so excited after a Saturday of sports! If all you said happens tomorrow, just do not know if I can stand it. Haha, but I am willing to give it a shot!

MaroonFlounder
10-30-2021, 11:34 PM
Now if the Bucs win!

NOOOOOOO! WHODAT!

msstate7
10-31-2021, 06:41 AM
NOOOOOOO! WHODAT!

Yeah, what's up with CC vomiting in our thread? Lol