PDA

View Full Version : Dumb idea of the day

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2021, 07:47 PM
Here is my dumb recruiting idea of the day:

Ole Miss painted ?Manning? in the end zone. Arch Manning was there. But it?s legal because they were honoring Eli.

So each game we pick 2 big recruits. I will use Stone Blanton and Khamauri Rogers for this example. We paint ?Blanton? in one end zone and ?Rogers? in the other. To stay legal, we simply grab 2 alums with the same last name and honor them. So at halftime we honor Susan Blanton (MSU class of 1977 accounting) and Bubba Rogers (MSU class of 1999 ag econ). We give each of them $25 gift cards to Home Depot. If the NCAA says anything, we say we were honoring two alums.

TheLostDawg
10-25-2021, 07:50 PM
There is actually a rule against what you put in the end zone. Either somehow this didn't qualify as breaking the rule or because it's ole Miss no one said anything.

I remember after we hashtag our end zone they came up with rules against what can be in it

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2021, 07:52 PM
There is actually a rule against what you put in the end zone. Either somehow this didn't qualify as breaking the rule or because it's ole Miss no one said anything.

I remember after we hashtag our end zone they came up with rules against what can be in it

Well to my credit, I did say it was a dumb idea.

Homedawg
10-25-2021, 07:52 PM

Ole Miss painted ?Manning? in the end zone. Arch Manning was there. But it?s legal because they were honoring Eli.

So each game we pick 2 big recruits. I will use Stone Blanton and Khamauri Rogers for this example. We paint ?Blanton? in one end zone and ?Rogers? in the other. To stay legal, we simply grab 2 alums with the same last name and honor them. So at halftime we honor Susan Blanton (MSU class of 1977 accounting) and Bubba Rogers (MSU class of 1999 ag econ). We give each of them $25 gift cards to Home Depot. If the NCAA says anything, we say we were honoring two alums.

Not legal

Coach34
10-25-2021, 07:53 PM

lol- I like where your head's at

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2021, 07:56 PM
lol- I like where your head's at

Just thinking outside the box.

IMissJack
10-25-2021, 08:00 PM
It's the kind of thinking that we lack in our Athletic Dept. It's ok to look into outside the box thinking.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2021, 08:06 PM
Not legal

You are probably correct. So how do they paint Manning in the end zone?

parabrave
10-25-2021, 08:09 PM
Not legal

Just say its part of a potential NIL and then it's legal.

lastmajordog
10-25-2021, 08:12 PM
del

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2021, 08:18 PM
All I am saying is that if Ole Miss can paint Manning in order to honor Eli, why can’t we paint Blanton and Rogers to honor Susan and Bubba?

Dak Holliday
10-25-2021, 08:25 PM
All I am saying is that if Ole Miss can paint Manning in order to honor Eli, why can?t we paint Blanton and Rogers to honor Susan and Bubba?

Apparently it?s not legal, but I love the thought process and legalistic approach. That?s a Belicheck type move. If you?re not pushing the boundaries, you aren?t trying.

Dak Holliday
10-25-2021, 08:25 PM
All I am saying is that if Ole Miss can paint Manning in order to honor Eli, why can’t we paint Blanton and Rogers to honor Susan and Bubba?

Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2021, 08:31 PM
Apparently it?s not legal, but I love the thought process and legalistic approach. That?s a Belicheck type move. If you?re not pushing the boundaries, you aren?t trying.

So is Ole Miss in trouble?

LC Dawg
10-25-2021, 08:35 PM
I would think that Ole Miss got an exemption to do that but they are pretty arrogant so who knows. I wonder what it takes to get an exemption.

Dak Holliday
10-25-2021, 08:35 PM
Apparently not. I?m sure they would have had to get it ok?d, but from what other posters are saying, it appears to be something that either needs circumstance or approval. Regardless of that fact, I love your idea.

Dak Holliday
10-25-2021, 08:36 PM
I would think that Ole Miss got an exemption to do that but they are pretty arrogant so who knows. I wonder what it takes to get an exemption.

Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2021, 08:46 PM

So we tell the NCAA that we would like the same exemption that Ole Miss got. Susan and Bubba are special people. They are important alums. They deserve this recognition. They are just as important to our university as Eli is to Ole Miss.

Other important alums include Leon Oatis (class of 1981), Shelly Williams, class of 2004 (see where this is going)

If we had honored Percival Newton (physics Major class of 1987) we might have a natty instead of auburn.

Dak Holliday
10-25-2021, 09:30 PM
So we tell the NCAA that we would like the same exemption that Ole Miss got. Susan and Bubba are special people. They are important alums. They deserve this recognition. They are just as important to our university as Eli is to Ole Miss.

Other important alums include Leon Oatis (class of 1981), Shelly Williams, class of 2004 (see where this is going)

If we had honored Percival Newton (physics Major class of 1987) we might have a natty instead of auburn.

Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

Maverick91
10-25-2021, 10:41 PM
If you want to read! Scroll a little down.

https://www.trumarkathletics.com/football-field-layout-dimensions.aspx

Dak Holliday
10-25-2021, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the link. Does using a name as part of a celebration fall under advertising?

Maverick91
10-26-2021, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the link. Does using a name as part of a celebration fall under advertising?

IDK! But, they did get for our hashtags a few years back. So, who knows.

sleepy dawg
10-26-2021, 08:22 AM
I don't think it's illegal. Honoring someone isn't advertising. #hailstate was. Honering someone wouldn't be different than how you paint special things to honor other things like America, veterans, cancer awareness, etc. We do that stuff all the time.

viverlibre
10-26-2021, 08:52 AM
We probably just rolled over and self imposed some harsh penalties. Look at all the tomfoolery they pulled while Freezus was there, they didn't cooperate and got fairly minor penalties considering the scope of their rule breaking. We have a few athletes cheat on a low level exam, self reported and get the book thrown at us.

Extendedcab
10-26-2021, 08:59 AM
What is the difference in having past players names in a ring of honor on the stadium itself?