PDA

View Full Version : 2018 85 Bears defense

Cowbell
10-25-2021, 03:31 PM
Where are they now? Joe really should have never made that comment. That team was loaded. Help me out here - Who all starts now in the NFL?
Sweat
Simmons
Gay
Abrams
Hoyett

TrapGame
10-25-2021, 03:33 PM
Willie Gay made a hell of a play yesterday. Snatched a ball outta the air like he was getting a basketball rebound.

Cowbell
10-25-2021, 03:42 PM
Willie Gay made a hell of a play yesterday. Snatched a ball outta the air like he was getting a basketball rebound.

That game is what made me post that. We had 5 legit players in that game.

Activated Alpha
10-25-2021, 04:01 PM
They even mentioned Gay and Mississippi State. We have some great players in the NFL and wish we would promote the hell out of that

TrapGame
10-25-2021, 04:06 PM
Denico Autry and Jeff Simmons pancaked Mahommes. That was brutal.

BeardoMSU
10-25-2021, 04:55 PM
Kick rocks!***

parabrave
10-25-2021, 04:58 PM
Sweat shooting the breeze with Jenkins during a break in the Packers Skins game yesterday.

Dental Dawg33
10-26-2021, 08:09 AM
JoMo seemed to be a pretty good guy but I'll never forgive him for 2018. Any one of us could have won 8 games with that team. Mullen stays one more year we are 11-1 at worst. Just our typical kick in the nuts turn out

viverlibre
10-26-2021, 09:41 AM
JoMo seemed to be a pretty good guy but I'll never forgive him for 2018. Any one of us could have won 8 games with that team. Mullen stays one more year we are 11-1 at worst. Just our typical kick in the nuts turn out

Haha, no doubt. He was handed the keys to a brand new fully loaded King Ranch F-250 and turned it into a white 1995 Chevy Cheyenne work truck with a manual transmission.

smootness
10-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Hoyett is not currently on a team. But Sweat, Simmons, Gay, and Abram all start; Cam Dantzler is a backup for the Vikings; Chauncey Rivers is on the Packers' roster, though he's currently on IR. And Marquiss Spencer is on the Broncos' practice squad but may have a future with the team.

Several others were drafted or made practice squads or had a brief stint with teams as UFAs - McLaurin, Gerri Green, Brian Cole, Lee Autry, and probably a couple I'm leaving off.

Johnson85
10-26-2021, 10:58 AM

Mullen has convinced me that he is good for an inexplicable loss each year. He just doesn't have the focus that he had early at MSU. Don't necessariliy blame him. College football and recruiting are a grind, and he's been doing it as a decamillionaire for a while now. Not many people have the drive to not coast some in that situation.

Coach34
10-26-2021, 11:01 AM
Hoyett is not currently on a team. But Sweat, Simmons, Gay, and Abram all start; Cam Dantzler is a backup for the Vikings; Chauncey Rivers is on the Packers' roster, though he's currently on IR. And Marquiss Spencer is on the Broncos' practice squad but may have a future with the team.

Several others were drafted or made practice squads or had a brief stint with teams as UFAs - McLaurin, Gerri Green, Brian Cole, Lee Autry, and probably a couple I'm leaving off.

Yep. That was a once every 20 years defense for us. 1980, 1999, and 2018

Lord McBuckethead
10-26-2021, 01:32 PM
Doing the math that is once in 19 year defense. Look out 2037.

BeardoMSU
10-26-2021, 02:40 PM
With just a mediocre offense that year, we'd have been at least in an Access Bowl at season's end. A travesty. We were possibly playing for an Access Bowl the year prior too, had we not lost to OM via their Fitz bounty.

R2Dawg
10-26-2021, 03:32 PM
Yep. That was a once every 20 years defense for us. 1980, 1999, and 2018

Yes it was. Almost criminal what Joe produced in 18. His Bears comment after the fact looks really silly. We actually were the 85 Bears of college football that year.

Also that 4 year stretch 97-2000 was as good a 4 year timeframe D as anywhere in college football. Just nasty D all those years with 99 being the best. 97-98 was dang good Ed Smith off edge, Haggan in middle.

2000 had that Blade, Wyms, Golliday, and company. 99 had like 7-8 NFL players on two deep on DL. Unreal.

lastmajordog
10-26-2021, 08:18 PM
Mullen is STIll an idiot IMO for leaving that team. What kind of launchpad would he have after an undefeated or one loss DOG team........I will never understand that. If he left after that I would understand, he could have had an INCREDIBLE team.

Coach34
10-26-2021, 08:24 PM
Mullen is STIll an idiot IMO for leaving that team. What kind of launchpad would he have after an undefeated or one loss DOG team........I will never understand that. If he left after that I would understand, he could have had an INCREDIBLE team.

I dont blame him for leaving for Florida. They are a blue-blood with a fertile recruiting ground. I think he would have been an idiot to leave that team for Tenn which is what he was intending to do at first. 2018 will will always be "what could have been"

somebodyshotmypaw
10-26-2021, 08:25 PM
Doing the math that is once in 19 year defense. Look out 2037.

Coach34 is one of these coaches that teaches history, not math. And he wears those badass Bike coaches shorts. And if you don’t know the shorts I’m talking about, then we can’t be friends. LOL

Coach34
10-26-2021, 08:30 PM
Coach34 is one of these coaches that teaches history, not math. And he wears those badass Bike coaches shorts. And if you don’t know the shorts I’m talking about, then we can’t be friends. LOL

Damn guys- I know the math was 19. The "every 20 years" is a saying because 20 years is a generation. That D was a once in a generation defense. Are you guys really this dense or just like to nitpick me like CNN during a Trump rally?

somebodyshotmypaw
10-26-2021, 08:56 PM
Damn guys- I know the math was 19. The "every 20 years" is a saying because 20 years is a generation. That D was a once in a generation defense. Are you guys really this dense or just like to nitpick me like CNN during a Trump rally?

I was just kidding. But you know folks that wore the shorts. Those shorts were the absolute stuff back in the day.

Coach34
10-26-2021, 09:02 PM
I was just kidding. But you know folks that wore the shorts. Those shorts were the absolute stuff back in the day.

Funny story

I bought some Bike coaching shorts to wear at practice during my Sr year at State when I was hired on at Heritage to coach FB and baseball. After wearing them for 1 practice- Coach Wooten ordered me some regular mesh coaching shorts to wear from now on. He looked at me and said- "you arent old enough to wear those"....hilarious. Coach Wooten was awesome

somebodyshotmypaw
10-26-2021, 09:23 PM
Funny story

I bought some Bike coaching shorts to wear at practice during my Sr year at State when I was hired on at Heritage to coach FB and baseball. After wearing them for 1 practice- Coach Wooten ordered me some regular mesh coaching shorts to wear from now on. He looked at me and said- "you arent old enough to wear those"....hilarious. Coach Wooten was awesome

There had to have been 100 million pair of those shorts sold. Pee wee coaches, high school coaches, NFL coaches. Every coach wore them.

parabrave
10-26-2021, 09:29 PM

Good going now I'm having PTSD of my HS coach from back in the 70's,

somebodyshotmypaw
10-26-2021, 09:35 PM
Good going now I'm having PTSD of my HS coach from back in the 70's,

There was a time that if you didn’t have the shorts, then you damn sure weren’t a coach. Tall coaches, short coaches, old coaches, young coaches, skinny coaches, fat coaches. They all wore them.

We could also talk neck rolls, forearm pads ………………

Duckdog
10-27-2021, 08:05 AM

To be honest this is the only year that Mississippi State Football really pissed me off.